• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Key West Points Modification

Reaction score
I see that a year or so ago the points were changed and MOST people should be thrilled.

For Hyatt Sunset Harbor - Diamond used to be weeks 7, 51, 52 and are now weeks 1-17, 51, 52

In an extreme case Silver owners were bumped up to Diamond and that is a heck of a bump.

My questions are

1. Can this be downgraded again

2. I can't imaging people that payed top dollar for Diamond week are happy that silver and gold and even platinum members got free upgrades. In other words, those used to be cheap timeshares and now they are very valuable

Are there any issues buying resale now for 2,200 diamond weeks (lets say week 15) and then getting downgraded to silver again?

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

Anything can be done at anytime, though I would not think they would downgrade. I'm not sure Diamond weekholders really care that others were upgraded.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still new to Hyatt, so consider the source. I think they can downgrade although I believe it has never been done. Regarding people being upset because they bought Diamond weeks, and others, like myself, got upgraded to Diamond, I think there are very few of those that are upset. Maybe a little jealous, but ok. Weeks 51 and 52 are Christmas and New Years and week 7 is President's week. Most people who bought those weeks wanted THOSE weeks. Those weeks are still more Diamond and more valuable than say week 15. An analogy would be, there are hall of farmers and then there is Babe Ruth. I think most wanted to use those weeks or will rent them for big bucks.

I think the people who are upset are the people who can't trade into the winter weeks anymore, or the people who can't trade into a summer week they have always traded for. Imagine a Platinum owner who used to trade in every other year for a winter week and now can't get it. I think there are more owners in the Hyatt system who are upset because they can't get in now, than there are HSH Diamond week owners upset. However, it might make it a little easier for some owners to trade in, if they have the points.

Best advice on TUG, buy where and when you want to stay, especially if they change all rules.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still new to Hyatt, so consider the source. I think they can downgrade although I believe it has never been done. Regarding people being upset because they bought Diamond weeks, and others, like myself, got upgraded to Diamond, I think there are very few of those that are upset. Maybe a little jealous, but ok. Weeks 51 and 52 are Christmas and New Years and week 7 is President's week. Most people who bought those weeks wanted THOSE weeks. Those weeks are still more Diamond and more valuable than say week 15. An analogy would be, there are hall of farmers and then there is Babe Ruth. I think most wanted to use those weeks or will rent them for big bucks.

I think the people who are upset are the people who can't trade into the winter weeks anymore, or the people who can't trade into a summer week they have always traded for. Imagine a Platinum owner who used to trade in every other year for a winter week and now can't get it. I think there are more owners in the Hyatt system who are upset because they can't get in now, than there are HSH Diamond week owners upset. However, it might make it a little easier for some owners to trade in, if they have the points.

Best advice on TUG, buy where and when you want to stay, especially if they change all rules.

Doubt there were many other Hyatt owners that were successfully exchanging into Key West during the winter using Hyatts internal system..