• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt presentation, have never been so tempted in my life to buy developer

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We are staying at Wild Oak Ranch and decided to look into Hyatt. Love this property.

The salesman was so nice, and there is an EOY at Hyatt Carmel available, but it's horizon view. The price was tempting because EOY we would get 2,000 points, $19K. Or we could get 2,200 points for Wild Oak Ranch, 2 bedroom, EOY for $26K.

I know Hyatt points go for about half that resale. What are the benefits of buying developer? Is Hyatt the same, whether resale or developer? The guy said big changes are coming and 20% increases are happening soon. Okay, so I am doing my best to stay with the salesperson, but all of these questions are coming into my brain while sitting there, listening to the spiel.

If we bought Wild Oak Ranch, could we trade easily into Carmel, or would we be out of luck with that option? I don't like buying something without knowing what we are getting, whether the points are really usable. If we bought resale, and the points weren't usable, I would still feel cheated, but at least it would be half the cost.

They offered an incentive of 200K Hyatt hotel points to buy today. I love Hyatt hotels. But the incentive is only good today. And the hotel system changed recently, and I haven't delved into it enough to even know what 200K points would get for us. The sales manager said we would have to decide today, right now, to get the 200K points incentive. Did I say today enough?

I don't remember the manager's name, but he used to be with Wyndham, so big turnoff for us. He did lie, absolutely lied to our faces, and said we couldn't trade into the Elite (is that the word?) properties through II, unless we own Elite. We all know that is not true. It's absolutely a lie. When I called him on it, he said all II elite inventory from October forward would be available to other elites. He said they gave inventory to Interval before the rule went into place. and they cannot do anything about the inventory given before October. That is why we are here with our trader. Whatever, buddy. I know better, and I know timeshare pretty well. We own decent enough resorts to get the resorts with the little blue fleur de lis symbol.

The fees are much higher for Carmel. That is why I was thinking Wild Oak Ranch.

What I don't like about timeshare pitches is the not knowing whether it's going to be tough to book.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, we walked away, but Rick practically had to drag me out of there.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at Wild Oak Ranch and decided to look into Hyatt. Love this property.

The salesman was so nice, and there is an EOY at Hyatt Carmel available, but it's horizon view. The price was tempting because EOY we would get 2,000 points, $19K. Or we could get 2,200 points for Wild Oak Ranch, 2 bedroom, EOY for $26K.

I know Hyatt points go for about half that resale. What are the benefits of buying developer? Is Hyatt the same, whether resale or developer? The guy said big changes are coming and 20% increases are happening soon. Okay, so I am doing my best to stay with the salesperson, but all of these questions are coming into my brain while sitting there, listening to the spiel.

If we bought Wild Oak Ranch, could we trade easily into Carmel, or would we be out of luck with that option? I don't like buying something without knowing what we are getting, whether the points are really usable. If we bought resale, and the points weren't usable, I would still feel cheated, but at least it would be half the cost.

They offered an incentive of 200K Hyatt hotel points to buy today. I love Hyatt hotels. But the incentive is only good today. And the hotel system changed recently, and I haven't delved into it enough to even know what 200K points would get for us. The sales manager said we would have to decide today, right now, to get the 200K points incentive. Did I say today enough?

I don't remember the manager's name, but he used to be with Wyndham, so big turnoff for us. He did lie, absolutely lied to our faces, and said we couldn't trade into the Elite (is that the word?) properties through II, unless we own Elite. We all know that is not true. It's absolutely a lie. When I called him on it, he said all II elite inventory from October forward would be available to other elites. He said they gave inventory to Interval before the rule went into place. and they cannot do anything about the inventory given before October. That is why we are here with our trader. Whatever, buddy. I know better, and I know timeshare pretty well. We own decent enough resorts to get the resorts with the little blue fleur de lis symbol.

The fees are much higher for Carmel. That is why I was thinking Wild Oak Ranch.

What I don't like about timeshare pitches is the not knowing whether it's going to be tough to book.

Things are happening with Hyatt, but DO NOT BELIEVE ANY WORDS OUT OF THE HUCKSTER'S MOUTH.
Granted, the Hyatt pitch people are very good and appear trustworthy, but never buy from the developer. The Hyatt hotel points are not worth the huge price of purchasing from the developer. With resale you do not get access to the Hyatt hotel program, but that has little or no value anyway. The per night points cost of a Hyatt hotel room can be high, especially for the high-end hotels. So those points don't really go far and you are staying in a hotel room rather than a multi-room time share unit. The hotels are scored in Category 1 to 7. The higher the category, the more points per night. Here are some examples by Category (per night):
Cat 7 - Paris Vendome = 30,000
Cat 6 - Phoenix Royal Palms = 25,000
Cat 5 - Hyatt Regency Honolulu = 20,000
Cat 4 - Miami Beach = 15,000
Cat 3 - San Antonio Grand Hyatt = 10,000
Cat 2 - Scottsdale Hyatt House = 8,000
Cat 1 - Colorado Springs Hyatt House = 5,000

Unless you are trying to find a unit/week at a resort where you absolutely want, points are points. Evaluate the points/calendar chart and do some "what if" planning to see how many points you will need and where they will be used. Then get the best deal at any resort. The key to getting a reservation is LONG TERM planning and to make sure you have enough points in your account when the unit/week becomes available.

For me, I have never stayed in the resort where I own the unit. For another, I haven't stayed in the unit/week I own for over 7 years. However, using points, I always get the resort unit/weeks that I desire every year.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Wow, Cindy. They are good, those Hyatt salesmen.

I love my Hyatt best of all my timeshares. I need to get rid of one and the Hyatt is the farthest from the chopping block. Like Kal, I've never even stayed at my owned unit which is in Tahoe. I've actually only been to Sedona & Carmel. Otherwise I've used it as a very flexible interval trader (it has some limitations though- namely, no trading back into Hyatt and you can only get units 1 yr or less out). The points aspect has worked really well for me.

If you're buying, I'd go resale for sure. Get the most points you possibly can for max flexibility.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ahhh...well, I was tempted but am feeling a lot better about not buying. I am going to look at resale, absolutely. Thanks for weighing in. I am very interested in resale. Rick is not so excited about it.

I have an ongoing search set for Hyatt Carmel, and it's been ongoing for a very long time. I keep thinking I will get a match. I get a little heart flutter, every time I see a match to an ongoing search in my email. I think I am going to get it. Then it's just some old search I set for something else, which I usually have to cancel anyway, because I already got my match.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Cindy, for what it's worth, we sold our Westin Princeville TS a couple of years ago when we couldn't stomach paying over $3,000/year in MF's. We used the proceeds from the sale to buy an Ocean View 1 BR at Hyatt Carmel Highlands and we've loved it. MF's are a little more than half of what WPORV was, the property has been beautifully maintained and recently underwent an upgrade to its public buildings, and the location is spectacular. I agree with other posters who have talked about the flexibility of using points to easily exchange within the Hyatt system. In about a month, we're going to be visiting Hyatt Pinon Pointe in Sedona, AZ and have also exchanged into Lake Tahoe. We bought through the resale market and have been very pleased with our purchase.