• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Pure Points Program

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt will roll out the new Pure Points Program on Feb. 21st. After that date you can no longer purchase a resort unit from Hyatt. Any purchase will be into the Points Program and be for points only. Today's legacy system will be unchanged for current owners. Hyatt claims they will take any owner sales on ROFR.

Details for the Points Program will be announced soon, but IMHO, it will be extremely difficult to obtain a Points Program reservation at just about any legacy resort.

Obviously, the value of legacy resorts has increased.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
May be but Hyatt can change the number of point of any legacy week if they want. If they can increase some Key West weeks then they can reduce all legacy week too. They could decide that resale week received 0 points like Vistana voluntary resorts and the legacy week value would drop to almost 0.
They could also drop the number of point of all legacy week (skim them like Marriott's) to force week owners to join the pure point program to recover their initial number of point.

taffy19

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. Our salesman wasn't allowed to tell us anything nor anyone else at the Hyatt.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal, thanks for posting that. Informative as always. I'm still new to Hyatt, so can someone please tell me what a legacy resort is? Also, couldn't this possibly devalue an owners unit on the resale market? If Hyatt is going to buy the weeks, why go thru all the trouble of trying to buy resale when Hyatt will just end up with it? Finally, as a current Hyatt owner, what is the advantages of the new program for current weeks owners? We already can trade within Hyatt and Interval. I should really quit writing now as I have a ton of questions, but let's start the ball rolling with these. Thanks guys!

JC

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
My fear is that this may make it more difficult to trade into other Hyatts as they can oversell points.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The legacy resorts are every HRC resort in the system as of today.

The value to current owners is that anyone wanting to own a resort unit/week can ONLY get that thru the resale market. There will be a break point where Hyatt will not take it on ROFR. If the price exceeds Hyatt's break point they wont take it. A previous resale price of say $10K would not likely get past ROFR. However, a resale price of maybe $25K would get by. So it's the goal of finding that sweet spot. Having said that, there are various way to structure the sales offer to make it a win-win at a good price.

I see few if any advantages in the new program to current owners. For me NADA.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. Our salesman wasn't allowed to tell us anything nor anyone else at the Hyatt.
It was an interesting session. Hyatt couldn't wait to give me my reward and get me out of there. :)

It was a sporting event where I love twisting their tails.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that Hyatt will cherry pick the units that they want back, which will most likely be diamond and platinum weeks. Gold they may take some, but I think the silver and bronze will not be ROFR'd. That way they can resell as pure points for a higher $$ than the resale. For example if they buy back a 2000 or 2200 point unit for $15k and resell the points at $50 a point (or whatever the price is, just an example here) they are making $42 bucks a point back AND they are not tying up that fixed platinum week any more - in theory leaving them open for all users (both legacy and pure points). That is essentially exactly what both Wyndham and Vistana have done.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is true, it seems to me that the pure points trust is likely to have lots of Maui inventory, since they are not sold out there yet.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
...AND they are not tying up that fixed platinum week any more - in theory leaving them open for all users (both legacy and pure points).
If Hyatt takes the unit it will be in the Points Program, not in the Legacy Program. It has to be one or the other but not both.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is true, it seems to me that the pure points trust is likely to have lots of Maui inventory, since they are not sold out there yet.
Good observation as that would be a great hook to get buy in into the Points Program.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Interesting. We head up to Carmel on Sunday. I may have to attend the presentation, to hear what they have to say.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
I doubt they will tell you anything truthful until the official rollout on the 21st.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If Hyatt takes the unit it will be in the Points Program, not in the Legacy Program. It has to be one or the other but not both.

Just wondering what that structure would actually look like. I believe that some of the other systems have exclusivity for a time with the "pure points" and then after a certain dibs period, any "points" can be used to book remaining available inventory. Would that be a possibility with Hyatt?

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Just wondering what that structure would actually look like. I believe that some of the other systems have exclusivity for a time with the "pure points" and then after a certain dibs period, any "points" can be used to book remaining available inventory. Would that be a possibility with Hyatt?

My understanding is that Hyatt can only let pure points owners use inventory that is owned by the Hyatt system. Since the current structure involved weeks that are owned by private individuals with a points overlay, Hyatt Pure Points (HPP) cannot access weeks that are in the current legacy weeks system. This is why they are saying they will ROFR everything, they'll be promising new HPP owners access to inventory they don't have.

This is different than say Disney Vacation Club, which has been pure points all along, so everyone has always had access to the same inventory (although honestly DVC is really just pure points for the resort you own, not the entire DVC system).

The distinction being that Hyatt can't for example give legacy weeks owners access to legacy weeks inventory starting 12 months out say and then pure points owners access starting at 6 months. Pure points owners can't access that inventory ever, unless Hyatt is the owner of that week. I think.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sales guy stresses all the great things in the HPP. Including all kinds of Hyatt Hotels, cruises, tours, Vistana resorts, & Starwood resorts. The only thing mentioned in passing was HRC resorts by ROFR and available Hyatt inventory.

The new building at Coconut and Maui developer inventory will be interesting. In order for that to be in the HPP system is if the DEVELOPER lets it go or the Trust buys it from the developer. Remember, Hyatt is not the developer.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the next person to attend an "owners update", ask the question:

"What if not a single HRC owner gives up rights to their unit/week to join the HPP?"

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is they will offer current Hyatt owners an opportunity to buy into the points system, similar to what Marriott did. It is in their best interest to do this, and I think they will. Someone mentioned earlier that Hyatt owners may have access to Vistana resorts; that would sweeten the deal..

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
My guess is they will offer current Hyatt owners an opportunity to buy into the points system, similar to what Marriott did. It is in their best interest to do this, and I think they will. Someone mentioned earlier that Hyatt owners may have access to Vistana resorts; that would sweeten the deal..

All of this sounds eerily similar to the Marriott points program. I suppose we shall see on the 21st.

I'm very interested in this Vistana rumor. If Hyatt points owners will have access to Vistana units, that would be good for me as a Vistana owner, because Hyatt will have to incentivize me to relinquish use of my units if they want access to them.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
It was hinted at one point in presentations that it was certain Vistana resorts, not all of them. Supposedly there were 7-10 new places coming available and a handful were from Vistana. We were told we would not have access to them unless we converted. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

planzfortomorrow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all this information. I'm new to Hyatt, and bought the week I wanted, so I'm not interested in converting to points, but I might need to trade for a different week every so often. I think this will make trading in the system more & more difficult if lots of people convert to points. I can see how if you were new to the system that points would be what you'd want to buy vs. a set week. I can also see if they sell points, and they decide to change seasons/points required, they can do that at any time. So if 1800 used to get you the time you wanted, it might change to 2200, based on supply and demand.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all this information. I'm new to Hyatt, and bought the week I wanted, so I'm not interested in converting to points, but I might need to trade for a different week every so often. I think this will make trading in the system more & more difficult if lots of people convert to points. I can see how if you were new to the system that points would be what you'd want to buy vs. a set week. I can also see if they sell points, and they decide to change seasons/points required, they can do that at any time. So if 1800 used to get you the time you wanted, it might change to 2200, based on supply and demand.
You seem to be inter mixing the Points Program and the HRC Program. They are totally independent of each other and do not cross over. The PP program points do not interchange with the HRC points. Unfortunately IMHO you can no longer buy another HRC week to supplement your existing HRC points total.

My opinion is that the trading will not likely change, but you will have to live with the points you now own.

scsu_hockey_fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt will roll out the new Pure Points Program on Feb. 21st. After that date you can no longer purchase a resort unit from Hyatt. Any purchase will be into the Points Program and be for points only. Today's legacy system will be unchanged for current owners. Hyatt claims they will take any owner sales on ROFR.

Details for the Points Program will be announced soon, but IMHO, it will be extremely difficult to obtain a Points Program reservation at just about any legacy resort.

scsu_hockey_fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
What / who is your source? Remember 90+ percent of what comes out of the mouth of sales people at time share presentations is FUD.