TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

I saw my first green flash!

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by Luanne, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

After all of our trips to Hawaii I finally saw my first ever green flash! We were out on the lawn at Maui Hill watching the sunset a couple of nights ago and boom, or should I say "flash", there it was. :cheer:

2. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Yes it is real, I have seen about a dozen of them. Alway at or near the water. So at the coast or on one of my many tradewinds cruises.

Sky should be clear at the Horizon for it to happen. Sometimes it looks clear but there are clouds you don't notice at the horizon until the sun is setting. So it does happen, you do have to be patient and keep looking. Although I have hear some that have never seen it, that it is just a green Heineken bottle tipped up at sunset and you look through the bottle.

See explanation here....
    http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/13D.htm (this link is flaky, just search webexhibits green flash if it doesn not work)

Here is a series of pictures....
    l[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  3. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Bluegreen WYN WestinStJohn VGV & CV SVV Morritt's Seaside
    Yay!

I saw my SECOND green flash in Hawaii in January

My first was a few years ago in St Thomas USVI. It is really really special

happymum and taffy19 like this.
  4. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Carlsbad Seapointe
    Very cool!

Dave

5. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

Yeah!!!
    Now I know what to look for. Thanks Sandy!

6. taffy19

taffy19 TUG Member

I am glad that you saw it, Luanne!

I have seen it quite a few times already in Hawaii, Mexico and even in Laguna Beach but it has never shown up in any of my pictures yet or even in my movie clips while I see it with my own eyes. I see it the most often on the beach in Nuevo Vallarta during the winter.

I wonder how many others here have seen the green flash? Was anyone able to take a picture or even a movie clip of it?

The secret may be to zoom in as far as you can with a decent camera?

7. Jan M.

Jan M. Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    We saw a green flash years ago while we were staying the in Corolla Light development in the Outer Banks the week between Christmas and New Years. I loved to walk over to the Whalehead Club on the Sound side to watch the sunset. It was so quick that if there hadn't been the three of us confirming to each other that we saw it, we would have thought we imagined it!

8. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

The flash can very in intensity. I've seen one, but it was really just an almost instantaneous greenish glimmer. Not at all obvious, and I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for it.

9. BocaBoy

BocaBoy TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club--Lahaina/Napili Villas; Ko Olina Beach Club; Grand Chateau
    We have seen the green flash several times at Waiohai, but I don't think at any other place. My wife loves to look for it and I admit it is kind of cool, but once would have been enough for me.

10. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Donatello, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    How exciting!

I never saw one until about 7 years ago. In fact, we were on a sunset cruise in Maui when I saw my first one and I will never forget it because there was a teenage girl from New York who had arrived the day before, went on a snorkel cruise and saw a whale (in Nov!) then did the sunset cruise that night and saw a green flash. She had no idea how lucky she was. :)

Since then I have seen a few more, and one here in San Diego was the most remarkable. It lasted quite a long time and seemed more intense than usual. Everyone on the beach was amazed. It never gets old.

mnkelley2224 and taffy19 like this.
  11. artringwald

artringwald TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
    We've seen them many times in Poipu, Kihei, and Waikiki. Even saw one at sunrise once. Some of them are so short, you'll miss them if you blink. If you've never seen one, don't try taking a picture or you may miss it while fussing with the camera like my mom did. If you have a camera that can keep taking pictures as long as you hold down the shutter, use that feature when it gets close. I love waiting at the popular spots with the sunset groupies because they'll all cheer when there's a good one.

12. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, & Pinestead Reef
    My goal is to one day stay at Maui Hill... I have heard so many good things about this resort...have a great vacation

13. Luanne

Thanks. We've owned here since 1986 and it's always like coming home.

slip and taffy19 like this.
  14. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thanks Luanne. Do you know if this resort has biannual re-sales? Living in the Midwest there is no way I would be able to get here every year. Thanks

15. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Donatello, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    I'm not sure if they sold eoy ownerships, but if you deposit a Maui Lea unit more than a year in advance (365 days +1) you can reserve a bonus week for $199. Additional weeks at Maui Lea can be pretty easy to get so you could stay for 2 weeks.

Sugarcubesea likes this.
  16. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Thanks for sharing "the green flash." It is amazing to watch.

17. Luanne

I don't know for sure. I do know they didn't sell EOY through the developer.

If you own at Maui Hill you get free membership with Trading Places Maui. You can bank with them two years out. And if you bank your week more than a year ahead you get a free bonus week.

18. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Luanne, thank you, I did not know that you get free membership with Trading Places Maui. Thank you for all of the help

19. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    klpca, thanks so much for your help, as well, I appreciate all of the feedback...

klpca likes this.
  20. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Waiohai
    Worldmark x2
    Congrats. I've seen one descent GF, but waiting for another one to appreciate and remember better..... Geeze, only 10 more months to Hawaii 2018. Sigh. :(

taffy19 and slip like this.
  21. cgeidl

cgeidl Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We have seen about 15 so far. Never enough! But has anyone seen a blue flash? Can happen in the desert I have heard but I have never seen one yet. The flash is caused by the same eff\fect as rainbows and is light refraction . When you see the flash it is the last visible color of the rainbow over water but over sand the last color may be blue. Who has seen the blue flash?

22. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Twenty-one years in the Navy, about half of that at sea, so I've seen the green flash quite a few times. There's no point in looking for it unless the horizon is very sharp. Even then, it might not happen.

Awesome photos for those who have heard about the green flash, but think it's a myth.

23. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I have seen a moonbow once. It is a rainbow but illuminated by moonlight not sunlight. I saw it sailing on night with a full moon, between rain squalls. We were on a delivery sail and we mostly sailed in shifts overnight.

We told the captain when he got up to relieve us from our shift. He wished we would have woke him up as he had never seen one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbow

taffy19 likes this.