• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I will inherit DRI ownership & am concerned.

ConcernedOne

Reaction score
I need help deciding if the pkg. my parents have is worth what they have invested and will invest. They are DRI Platinum members and recently purchased Hawaii package. They also own in Williamsburg VA and Sedona AZ. Maintenance fees are $10K/year, plus they are paying on the big balance. They travel a good bit. My brother's family and mine are comprised of 9 additional people and we usually use the resorts one to two times a year, locally (US). Not sure if my future travel budget will accommodate $10K right off the bat for fees, plus travel to and from destinations and food/entertainment once there. Help me understand....

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
note you are not forced to inherit any timeshare, if you do not want it...have that discussion with your parents now so there is no confusion and you are not saddled with a very expensive burden you dont want to bear.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ill move this to the DRI forum so you can get some input from other owners.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding if the pkg. my parents have is worth what they have invested and will invest. They are DRI Platinum members and recently purchased Hawaii package. They also own in Williamsburg VA and Sedona AZ. Maintenance fees are $10K/year, plus they are paying on the big balance. They travel a good bit. My brother's family and mine are comprised of 9 additional people and we usually use the resorts one to two times a year, locally (US). Not sure if my future travel budget will accommodate $10K right off the bat for fees, plus travel to and from destinations and food/entertainment once there. Help me understand....

I think if many people found themselves in a situation like yours, and they had the opportunity to run away from Diamond, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Just know if your MF are 10K now and increase around 5% a year in 14 years it will be 20K a year. Think about that while pondering your options

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score

Although you are not required to accept the inheritance, you parents' estate will be required to pay off their loan to Diamond.

You have the option of accepting a fraction of your parents account and returning the rest to DRI.

It's not clear how the Williamsburg VA and Sedona AZ ownership fits. Are these deeded units? At DRI managed resorts? If that's the case, then some of the points are backed by these deeds.

If you like timesharing, but don't like Diamond Resorts, you can return 100% of your parents' account and take on another option that better fits your needs.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I am not giving any Legal Advice but I did read about a situation in which the Estate was handled with all the Legal Formalities in Probate Court. The Estate continued making all payments - Loan and Maintenance Fees. The Estate complied with all Legal requirements to include a Legal Notice published in the local newspaper for all Creditors to file a Claim with the Probate Court. The Estate Closed. The Timeshare Company never filed a Claim against the Estate with the Probate Court. The Timeshare Company was out of luck. In that most Timeshare Ownerships for a married couple are owned in some type of joint relationship this would not work when the first member of the relationship dies.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Personally, there's no way I would accept that inheritance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazyj2478

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond resort cabo azul
Under no circumstance would we recommend doing anything with Diamond (DRI)! It will be a lifelong headache if you do. THey are very misleading. Just look at all the complaints they receive. We filed a complaint with our Attorney General and they are being investigated. Again , DO NOT do anything with DRI, except say NO NO NO.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I think all timeshare companies should have constant investigations and plain-clothed detectives should attend a few presentations with their wives. It would be amazing to have knowledgeable law-enforcement officers go occasionally and see how really pushy and dishonest these people are.

I wouldn't take an inheritance of Diamond because even their constantly bragged about Ka'anapali Beach has a lot of unhappy visitors. Read Yelp and you will see the complaints.

gypsygirl1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

If I were in your shoes, I would think long and hard about accepting the timeshare - any kind at all - where there are high maintenance fees and a "mortgage " to pay off too. You can buy a timeshare from someone for much less probably and maybe not have high maintenance fees. Traditionally fees go up and never down.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you enjoy timesharing, you need to spend time researching which timeshare system is suitable for your needs. You may very well find that Diamond timeshare system is not what you want to own. If so, make sure you decline the inheritance. However, if you like what you learn about Diamond vs. other timeshare systems, then you need to figure out if it is a financial burden that you want to afford.

I am friends with a couple in their 70s who owns only several relatively high MF resorts under the Vistana system (Princeville, Kaanapali, Westin Mission Hills) and Marriott (Ko Olina). They own several weeks at each of the resort because when they travel, they travel with some or all of their children, children's spouses and grand children. I cannot imagine what their MFs are but several of their children and spouses have already told them which of their timeshare that they want for inheritance. Because they have 8 children, and some are doing financially better than others, they are not worried about what will happen to their timeshare one day when they no longer have use for them or when they die. This couple bought their timeshares from the developers and scoffed when I told him to ask one of his sons-in-law to buy Westin Princeville in the resale market as he has been pestering them about letting him have their timeshare now.

Most timeshares cost alot less in the resale market. So you may find that picking up something in the resale market is less of a financial burden than taking over from your parents' DRI timeshare in the future.

Last edited:

harvrte66

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with many people who said run away from DRI.
WE bought the Hawaiian Collection several years ago on Maui. No one ever said a collection nor did they say it included Vegas and Sedona, AZ. We live in Phoenix and would never buy a timeshare in Vegas or Sedona. I filed a complaint with the FCC with no good result.
We were able to sell our Maui t/s to Vidanta when we bought from them in Maya Rivera Mexico.
DRI is a bad example of timeshare sellers.

BLKBRD370

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the responses to ConcernedOne about inheriting a timeshare. I own a 3BR/Lock-off (Floating) unit at Ocean Gate, St. Augustine, Fl and have exchanged for vacations in areas that I preferred to take family to. As I am now aging and less likely to travel I would like to sell it. Any offer will find me friendly to deal with.
BLKBRD370

ConcernedOne

Reaction score
Although you are not required to accept the inheritance, you parents' estate will be required to pay off their loan to Diamond.

You have the option of accepting a fraction of your parents account and returning the rest to DRI.

It's not clear how the Williamsburg VA and Sedona AZ ownership fits. Are these deeded units? At DRI managed resorts? If that's the case, then some of the points are backed by these deeds.

If you like timesharing, but don't like Diamond Resorts, you can return 100% of your parents' account and take on another option that better fits your needs.

Thank you.

Yes, I believe the Williamsburg and Sedona are deeded units at DRI managed resorts. My parents said they exchanged or traded them for the Hawaii package, so they are no longer deeded owners in Williamsburg, VA or Sedona, AZ. Still confused. I have a lot to learn in order to make an informed decision. It's looking like many on this thread are advising against inheriting it.....

Last edited:

ConcernedOne

Reaction score
Looking for input. As I see it, even if all is paid off by the time I (potentially) inherit this, if the maintenance fees (MFs) are $10K/year, and I have 3 weeks of vacation, that is like spending $476.19 per day .... right? I must be missing something..... Even if this is divided in half with my brother, that is still more than I would spend on a hotel room. Further, that does not include my travel to and from destinations or any of the food or entertainment while visiting.

Last edited:

ConcernedOne

Reaction score
Just know if your MF are 10K now and increase around 5% a year in 14 years it will be 20K a year. Think about that while pondering your options
Is a 5% increase per year standard? I didn't realize they would increase at that kind of rate. That's more than the cost of living yearly increase.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With my timeshares (Marriott, Vistana and Worldmark), whether it is using it directly or exchanging, my MF and exchange fees, comes up to around $100 to $150 per night - for either 1BR or 2BR, and sometimes even a 3BR if we exchange in II to say a 3BR Marriott's at Ko Olina (Oahu). I do not make use of II's offer of 2 for 1 exchange, and if I do (which I don't), the per night cost comes down to $70 per night or so. $400+ per night is too rich for me, especially with DRI, which is not considered a top end timeshare system.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for input. As I see it, even if all is paid off by the time I (potentially) inherit this, if the maintenance fees (MFs) are $10K/year, and I have 3 weeks of vacation, that is like spending $476.19 per day .... right? I must be missing something..... Even if this is divided in half with my brother, that is still more than I would spend on a hotel room. Further, that does not include my travel to and from destinations or any of the food or entertainment while visiting.

Yes, you're missing something. $10k per year in the Hawaii Collections means your parents have around 55,000 points. So you're estimating something like 18,333 points per week. But you can get a 2-BR unit for 10,000-12,000 points. (Which is still expensive compared to other systems, but it's not $475 a day.) If you want only three weeks in a two bedroom, you should take fewer points. My wife and I travel in 1-BR units and get by with 5,000 points per week. You might need only 15,000 - 20,000 total points, depending on your travel style. Annual fees for 15,000 Hawaii points are $3,100 in 2017.

Last edited:

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score