• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

IBEX INC - (SCAM)

barb5850

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a timeshare with Sunset Vacation Club. It is in Playa del Carmen Mexico. Called Sunset Fisherman. I have been approached by a company called IBEX Inc. on a call to sell this timeshare. I looked online to search the company and while there is such a company in Glenview Illinois I am somewhat leery. They are saying that they will purchase it on "behalf of the buyer"and do not seem to be asking for any money upfront. (I would not pay any money up front in any event). It is basically transferring our membership which is a great week (week 10) but we never use this timeshare. Has anyone ever dealt with this company or had any transactions with them. thank you for the time anyone takes to reply.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I predict that if you pursue this, they will ask for money upfront at some point. They won't call it upfront money. They will call it a tax, a title search, an escrow fee, or anything else, and they will tell you it will be refunded to you in escrow.

Of course, once they have your upfront money, their "buyer" will disappear and they will too.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been approached by a company called IBEX Inc. on a call to sell this timeshare.

That right there is the first sign of a typical scam. Very few, if any, legitimate buyers approach an owner about selling the TS. Did you even have it advertised for sale? And how did this company contact you? And how much are they offering to (allegedly) pay for your TS? Most TSs in Mexico are worth around zero dollars resale. So if they are offering you tens of thousands, and couple that with and unexpected contact such as a phone call, then you have all the makings of a scam.

barb5850

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That right there is the first sign of a typical scam. Very few, if any, legitimate buyers approach an owner about selling the TS. Did you even have it advertised for sale? And how did this company contact you? And how much are they offering to (allegedly) pay for your TS? Most TSs in Mexico are worth around zero dollars resale. So if they are offering you tens of thousands, and couple that with and unexpected contact such as a phone call, then you have all the makings of a scam.
Some very good points thank you. I asked how on earth they knew I owned this TS and was told there is some type of 'document' that is public; like a register of some type re: foreign owners of property in Mexico. Except I don't own the TS. It is not deeded. I don't think foreign owners can actually own a TS in Mexico; I believe they are on 25 or 30 year 'leases'. No it was not listed for sale. And yes they are offering a ridiculous amount of money. I follow TS sales pretty closely and you are quite correct: Mexican TS properties are worth, well, less than zero because I have seen ads where people will pay the Mtc fees just to have someone takeover the TS. The Reason I am enquiring is because the company IBEX real estate does exist and does seem to be a legitimate company, incorporated in the US. But I think I will just ignore the proposal that I received from them. Even though I would really like to get rid of this TS.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
100% a scam. They can have all the Mexican timeshares they want for nothing so they certainly would never pay a large sum for one. They get the sucker blinded by the dollars and then there will be a "tax" or "transfer fee" in order to complete the deal. Once that is paid they will disappear like Keyser Söze.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

MelodyP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset (RCI) in Cancun
We also received the same call a couple of weeks ago. After some discussion, they told my husband that we would have to fill out a form to become a temporary Mexican resident in order to sell the timeshare - at a cost of $4700 US, which they would add to the escrow account - and that our bank would be able to verify the legitimacy of the account.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
We also received the same call a couple of weeks ago. After some discussion, they told my husband that we would have to fill out a form to become a temporary Mexican resident in order to sell the timeshare - at a cost of $4700 US, which they would add to the escrow account - and that our bank would be able to verify the legitimacy of the account.

complete and total scam.

Larry368

Reaction score
I own a timeshare with Sunset Vacation Club. It is in Playa del Carmen Mexico. Called Sunset Fisherman. I have been approached by a company called IBEX Inc. on a call to sell this timeshare. I looked online to search the company and while there is such a company in Glenview Illinois I am somewhat leery. They are saying that they will purchase it on "behalf of the buyer"and do not seem to be asking for any money upfront. (I would not pay any money up front in any event). It is basically transferring our membership which is a great week (week 10) but we never use this timeshare. Has anyone ever dealt with this company or had any transactions with them. thank you for the time anyone takes to reply.

Hello, I was also approached by ibex, and I too was one of the people who needed to obtain a tax payer of for the sale. After sending in 4700 to obtain it. I received my funds for the sale just this past Friday. The process took a whole month. I was skeptical also but I am now a satisfied client

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Hello, I was also approached by ibex, and I too was one of the people who needed to obtain a tax payer of for the sale. After sending in 4700 to obtain it. I received my funds for the sale just this past Friday. The process took a whole month. I was skeptical also but I am now a satisfied client

Shill alert!

First post by a newly registered poster. Claiming a $4,700 fee to become a "temporary Mexico resident" is legit. I don't believe it.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
lol...its like attracting flies with honey!

Diane Beard

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Tres Rios and Sunset Fisherman - both Mexico
Shill alert!

First post by a newly registered poster. Claiming a $4,700 fee to become a "temporary Mexico resident" is legit. I don't believe it.

Larry, I would like to hear more details about the transaction. We have been approached and offered $250,000 for our Hacienda Tres Rios 2 bedroom. We have not moved forward with anything yet (so have not been told about the up front money); however, we want to thoroughly check out this company with forums like this and of course our contacts at Hacienda Tres Rios before moving forward. We would love to sell it, but don't want to lose more money and still have the property. Can you give more details?
Diane

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
noone legitimate is going to give you 250,000 dollars for a mexican timeshare...

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy the Mexican timeshare in question for free even if you handed me $1k along with it. I sell timeshares all the time so if I could get even a fraction of what is being discussed I would certainly take it and then resell it.

The offers are pure fiction. Don't be a sucker and fall for it and Larry's silly shill story.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hahaha you lying fraud.

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Larry, I would like to hear more details about the transaction. We have been approached and offered $250,000 for our Hacienda Tres Rios 2 bedroom. We have not moved forward with anything yet (so have not been told about the up front money); however, we want to thoroughly check out this company with forums like this and of course our contacts at Hacienda Tres Rios before moving forward. We would love to sell it, but don't want to lose more money and still have the property. Can you give more details?
Diane

Under no circumstances should you send "IBEX" even $1. Any money you send them will be lost forever. You will never receive a dime from them. They have no buyer. The only reason IBEX exists is to scam you and steal your money. "Larry" is not an actual satisfied customer. He is someone associated with IBEX who comes here to make them seem legitimate in order to convince you and others who've received fake offers to send them money (a shill). Don't be tricked. As pointed out above, none of this passes the smell test in the smallest measure. Most Mexican timeshares are worthless. Why in the world would someone pay you a quarter of a million dollars for one?

If you look back through this forum, you will see hundreds of examples of the same scams over and over. Almost every day someone has a report of being offered unrealistic prices out of the blue. The names of the scam companies and what they call their fake fees change, but the outcome never does. Do not respond to their phones calls. Have no further interaction with them. Keep your $4700 safely in your bank account.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

You are not a "satisfied client", One Post Larry. You are just a very unconvincing shill and a bull$h!t artist. Go shovel that stuff somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Larry, I would like to hear more details about the transaction.

Shills working together, maybe? Larry, with his one and only TUG post, Diane then promptly seeking "more details" in her one and only TUG post --- on her very first day of TUG registration. :ponder: Mere coincidence? Perhaps, but I'm not much of a believer in coincidence.

I was born very early in the morning --- but it certainly was not yesterday morning. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
In theory it's possible to get a check from one of the scammers. It's easier to convince someone to pay a fee if they already have the check in hand. You could even deposit the check and possibly see the funds the next day.

One time I received a check from a scammer for an item I had on Craigslist. They were supposedly in Texas and the bank account was in New York. The routing number on the bottom of the check was to a different bank overseas and the account number did not exist. I did not deposit it but if I had I would probably have had funds the next day and then it would take the bank 1-2 weeks to realize and take the funds back out of my account.

Diane Beard

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Tres Rios and Sunset Fisherman - both Mexico
Under no circumstances should you send "IBEX" even $1. Any money you send them will be lost forever. You will never receive a dime from them. They have no buyer. The only reason IBEX exists is to scam you and steal your money. "Larry" is not an actual satisfied customer. He is someone associated with IBEX who comes here to make them seem legitimate in order to convince you and others who've received fake offers to send them money (a shill). Don't be tricked. As pointed out above, none of this passes the smell test in the smallest measure. Most Mexican timeshares are worthless. Why in the world would someone pay you a quarter of a million dollars for one?

If you look back through this forum, you will see hundreds of examples of the same scams over and over. Almost every day someone has a report of being offered unrealistic prices out of the blue. The names of the scam companies and what they call their fake fees change, but the outcome never does. Do not respond to their phones calls. Have no further interaction with them. Keep your $4700 safely in your bank account.

We have contacted Hacienda Tres Rios to ask them about the "story" we were told about controlling shares. Oddly they have not asked us for any money, none. In fact he said that he did not require any money. There was a 6% fee but we didn't have to pay that...or he deducted it off the cheque, not totally sure of that. In that way, this is different. We won't be duped, and won't send any money, but if we get a cheque..awesome, but I am not optimistic. Diane

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have contacted Hacienda Tres Rios to ask them about the "story" we were told about controlling shares. Oddly they have not asked us for any money, none. In fact he said that he did not require any money. There was a 6% fee but we didn't have to pay that...or he deducted it off the cheque, not totally sure of that. In that way, this is different. We won't be duped, and won't send any money, but if we get a cheque..awesome, but I am not optimistic. Diane

You think you know what you are dealing with but trust us, you do not. There is literally zero chance that you are dealing with something legitimate. You are going to be teased and dazzled and they may even show you evidence of a $250k check or payment. In the end you definitely will be asked to pay something in order to receive that money.

I hope you are right that you won't be duped but the fact that you are stating it would be "awesome" if you received the money tells me you most certainly have a chance to be duped. Nobody goes in saying they are going to be duped but you are openly stating that you hope it actually happens. You may not think that's what you said but getting duped is the only way for you to receive the money.

Nobody in the history of planet earth has ever been given $250k for any timeshare, much less a Mexican one. Nothing about it makes any sense to a normal person.

Larry368

Reaction score
Shill post??? Hardly. You are correct i'am not a regular poster on this forum. Honestly the only reason I decided to join and post about my situation is because I too was skeptical at first. Being an elderly man, this experience has allowed me to finally get out of a nightmare time share with sunset resort that has been nothing but trouble and a scam in itself from the beginning. 250k does sound like alot of money, my offer was not nearly close to this amount. I have no idea how they determine pricing. But I can assure you my sale was successful, I cannot comment on other cases. Seems to me like the people on here who complain or cry wolf of a scam have not gone through the process themselves. Although it's always good to be cautious unfortunately there are alot of illegitimate companies out there.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how they determine pricing.

They pick a price that they think their potential victim will be gullible enough to fall for. It's also an amount that will get the potential victim's mouth watering and lose all sense of sensibility. Then when the victim is totally in outer space thinking about that huge payoff, the scammers then hit him with, "Oh, we just need $1000 to cover [some bogus fee or tax] and to complete the sale."

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
lol...sometimes these attempts to rip folks off are just comical.