• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II versus Registry/RCI vs SFX - for Grande Luxxe NV (Vidanta)

seema

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought a Grande Luxxe loft unit and Nuevo Vallarta around Nov 2015.

I am trying to figure out how useful is this unit for exchange purposes through these 3 timeshare exchange companies - let us say compared to my Marriott 2 bedroom Ko Olina ocean view floating week (all weeks of the year except weeks 51/52) or my Westgate Lakes Resort Orlando - fixed week 37..

I was given a 2 year complementary membership in the Registry Collection (it will expire around Jan 2018) and SFX platinum membership (it will expire in Dec 2017).

I have an II membership with Westgate - I plan to divest myself of Westgate this year - I have a regular II account which will expire in about 2 weeks.

I have a week at Marriott Ko Olina - so I have a Marriott II membership.

I am wondering about extending the II membership - after selling the Westgate unit through a reseller this year - for the Vidanta unit. Alternatives are to let that account expire, and take membership in one of the other exchange companies.

II seems that II considers the loft unit equivalent to a 1br unit - is that right? It seems that SFX considers the loft unit equivalent to a studio/efficiency unit - is that correct? The Registry Collection gvies points for my unit - 6 points - very minimal in exchanging for another Registry resort, but perhaps more useful for exchanging to a RCI resort.

SFX suggested that if I book a Grand Mayan 2 br week (allowed by Vidanta's internal exchange policies) for my GL loft unit, that it still considers my unit to be worth a studio unit. I have not asked II or the Registry Collection would they consider the Grand Mayan 2 br unit worth more for exchange purposes, or not - for the GL loft.

So without Westgate after the end of the year - which of the 3 exchange companies, if any - should I become a paying member of - for the purposes of exchanging my GL loft week?

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
I have no idea about most of your questions, but I don't think Grand Mayan trades in II, only RCI.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
IF it were me, I'd rent the sucker out on Redweek and use the cash to rent something else from an owner. Otherwise your exchange is going to not be "dollar for dollar". In other words, you're exchanging a very expensive high-end sought-after unit and you'll probably get maybe a 2 BR unit elsewhere (if you're lucky). I think the lofts rent out for like $3k or more on redweek (I think the " loft" is the Spa Tower?)

I could be wrong on the unit type for the Lofts, though.

Basically even if you had a regular Grand Luxxe, I'd still say rent it out and use the money elsewhere. I don't think a 2 BR Grand Luxxe is = to say, a 2 BR Marriott (*maybe* on Maui?).

JuliGee

Reaction score
IF it were me, I'd rent the sucker out on Redweek and use the cash to rent something else from an owner. Otherwise your exchange is going to not be "dollar for dollar". In other words, you're exchanging a very expensive high-end sought-after unit and you'll probably get maybe a 2 BR unit elsewhere (if you're lucky). I think the lofts rent out for like $3k or more on redweek (I think the " loft" is the Spa Tower?)

I could be wrong on the unit type for the Lofts, though.

Basically even if you had a regular Grand Luxxe, I'd still say rent it out and use the money elsewhere. I don't think a 2 BR Grand Luxxe is = to say, a 2 BR Marriott (*maybe* on Maui?).

I agree!! We have stayed at those Grand Luxxe lofts, and regular Grand Luxxe, and have to say, they are far superior than any timeshare you could stay at! In my opinion, there is nothing out there that even compares. Certainly none of the brand name timeshares like Hilton or Marriott etc., they are nowhere close to the quality of the Grand Luxxe properties!

Juli

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree entirely with Juli - stayed 2016, 2017 and just booked for 2018

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
Sorry to steal this post but just want to ask in your opinion which is the better experience, Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya or Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta. Booked to go a regular Grand Luxxe in Riviera Maya but I can change to Nuevo Vallarta if it is better. Thanks

JuliGee

Reaction score
Sorry to steal this post but just want to ask in your opinion which is the better experience, Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya or Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta. Booked to go a regular Grand Luxxe in Riviera Maya but I can change to Nuevo Vallarta if it is better. Thanks

In my opinion, the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta offers an all round greater resort experience.

Juli

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
SFX suggested that if I book a Grand Mayan 2 br week (allowed by Vidanta's internal exchange policies) for my GL loft unit, that it still considers my unit to be worth a studio unit. I have not asked II or the Registry Collection would they consider the Grand Mayan 2 br unit worth more for exchange purposes, or not - for the GL loft.

The Registry has an Exchange Grid that would answer your question for them. I took a look and there is little difference between a Grand Luxxe Loft and a Grand Mayan 2br. At best you could get 7 Registry points for the Grand Mayan 2br if it were in weeks 1-14 or 51-52.

That being said you can't compare II or RCI points to Registry points because the scales are so different. The resorts available via The Registry are very high end resorts. The 6 or 7 points you would get there has some trade value based on their scale.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

What month - and are you going for good weather / no rain ?
Check the month average for rainfall & days of rain / sun - for RM & PV

There are differences.

Since you are likely flying out of YYZ / Toronto - I would also compare non stop flights
Air Canada
WestJet
Sunwing
Air Transat
Aero Mexico - (to PV thru Mexico City )

Cancun probably has more non stops year round .
PV - more in snowbird season