• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is Hyatt resale a good opportunity now

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Impressive

Have you been able to get what you want (other locations) most of the time? What room sizes did you book and what are easier to get? I assume Aspen (ski season) and Maui (summer) are probably the hardest to match.
We are going to Maui in May 4 days midweek in a 1 bedroom and often get into Aspen for spring skiing. Getting prime weeks is never a given but with some flexibility and using wait list you can get in

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
We used to be huge fans of VRBO and said we would never buy a timeshare. Now we wish we knew about Hyatt resales years ago. We own 2 weeks ,Sedona and Beach House which we have never used and have traded within Hyatt into 6 to 8 weeks of vacation in luxury each yr. We supplement with credit card hotel and airline points (see million mile secrets.com) and now spend much less for incredible vacations than in our VRBO days

A lot of people like VRBO and Airbnb but we are a "wheelchair bound" family and they have proved risky for us: ADA described units that weren't.. Lots of steps, narrow doorways, etc... We have never had that issue our timeshares. We always call well in advance and have always been catered to..

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Impressive

Have you been able to get what you want (other locations) most of the time? What room sizes did you book and what are easier to get? I assume Aspen (ski season) and Maui (summer) are probably the hardest to match.
We are not skiers so have only gone to Beaver Creek and Breckenridge in summer for hiking, and stayed in studios there (which are very nice, with gas fireplace). Sunset Harbor is a favorite and we had 2 BR there 4 or 5 times. Never tried Maui yet. Coconut Plantation is the place we have used the most often, always 2 BR. Have used 1 BR in Sedona and Carmel. I don't know how to assess which are easier, as we haven't had any trouble matching so far by placing a wait list request as far in advance as possible, usually 10-12 months. I am sure you are right about ski season in CO, and we did fail to get anything at Siesta Key, as not very many of their units ever trade so far in my experience. It seems that the first buyers at new units intend to use their weeks for the first few years, and that makes sense, as they paid developer price. And I believe that Maui has sold only around half of their weeks so far.

Creekway6

Reaction score
Long-time DVC owner (since 2006) more recent Hyatt owner (since 2015) so I'll add some color from our experience with the OP that hasn't been mentioned yet. One HUGE distinction between the programs in my experience is the availability of discounted cash-reservations via Hyatt Residence Club. DVC has nothing like that.

I should say that we only use Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, so my experience with "trading" is limited to that resort.

I picked up a 1400 point week at Wild Oak Ranch for $1. We've had no problem using that to get split weeks at WOR when we want them. And, once you're a member, HRC offers some very attractive cash rates to members for additional days. I've found that I can pick up two additional three-day weekends on a cash basis, for the same cost of annual dues of an additional week. No acquisition cost, no ongoing commitment. And much, much greater booking flexibility. For example, two weeks ago I booked Easter weekend and Memorial Day weekend at WOR on cash via HRC. Arriving and departing the nights, I want. So really great flexibility for us. (The posted rate at Hyatt.com for the room was $587; HRC rate was $260.)

As for comments about how it's impossible to justify the cost of DVC. I might agree, if you don't plan to ever sell. For me, I just divested of a portion of my points that I acquired in 2007. My kids are getting older and we have routinely found ourselves with banked points each of the last two years, so it was time to downsize a bit.

After accounting for all costs -- acquisition, sales commission and dues paid in the last ten years -- each point I used during the period I during which I held the contact cost me .32 cents. Points rent for $13 - 15 range. At .32 cents, I was getting a 2-bedroom unit at the most popular resort on earth for less than $25 a night. Countless great memories at almost no cost. If you get in and out via resale, you're downside risk is pretty minimal. Or, in our experience, non-existent.

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
This thread is about Hyatt's current resale value... My question is what has happened to resale value by Hyatt's recent change in some resorts point value? Some lucky resorts saw an increase in their some of their weeks point value. I have been wondering if Hyatt could arbitrarily reduce points values? Move 2200 or 2000 point weeks into a different category thereby severely damaging their "trading" value?

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread is about Hyatt's current resale value... My question is what has happened to resale value by Hyatt's recent change in some resorts point value? Some lucky resorts saw an increase in their some of their weeks point value. I have been wondering if Hyatt could arbitrarily reduce points values? Move 2200 or 2000 point weeks into a different category thereby severely damaging their "trading" value?

Sure, they, like any other TS co. can do whatever they want; you are only guaranteed the week you buy.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sure, they, like any other TS co. can do whatever they want; you are only guaranteed the week you buy.

That's what I thought... I guess basically they could do away with trading altogether.. That would be a way to move folks from fixed week to points... But then again, if they can arbitrarily change points requirements they can destroy the value of their points owners too... At least with a deeded week you would get what you bought. Pure points owners are completely at the mercy of Hyatt...

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can't see Hyatt doing that as it would reduce their reliability and bottom line sales. They aren't going to want to alienate that
many folks.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can't see Hyatt doing that as it would reduce their reliability and bottom line sales. They aren't going to want to alienate that
many folks.
I agree, I think it would be unlikely. It would probably cause quite a stir too if they suddenly reduced Diamond weeks to Gold or Silver week point value. Not much complaining when they upgraded weeks, but there would be an uproar if they downgraded weeks. Has this ever happened before, does any long time Hyatt owner know?

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
many folks.

Agree completely. It would not be in Hyatt's (now owned by ILG) best interest to alienate its customer base. Realistically, I see Interval offering an incentive for deeded owners to join the PPP system. I'm going to trust Kal on this, who is far knowlegeable than me, when he says it will be a long time before deeded owners are affected..

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I agree, I think it would be unlikely. It would probably cause quite a stir too if they suddenly reduced Diamond weeks to Gold or Silver week point value. Not much complaining when they upgraded weeks, but there would be an uproar if they downgraded weeks. Has this ever happened before, does any long time Hyatt owner know?

Have they literally downgraded weeks? Not to my knowledge.

Have they effectively downgraded weeks? Yes. Multiple times.

They way Hyatt goes about effectively downgrading weeks is that they *increase* the point values of certain weeks while keeping others the same. For example, the recent changes to point values in Key West. When they go about it this way, it's more palatable to owners: the ones who don't care about trading into Key West shrug. The ones whose weeks were upgraded in points value are happy, they feel like they got something for free. The owners of lower value weeks who did NOT get their weeks increased in value are upset but Hyatt just says, "hey we sold you a week, and it's fair game for us to change the points system as we see fit".

But for sure all you need to do is be a member of the Hyatt Residence Club FB page and read the posts there- owners of 1100 and 1400 point weeks that were not upgraded now have very slim pickings as to the weeks available to them, many of the 1100 and 1400 pt weeks they could previously trade into are now 2000 pt weeks. They can't ever trade into them, they don't have enough points. And other than Sunset Harbor, they can't just choose a smaller unit because most of the units in Key West are 2BR. And to make things worse for them, now many owners in Key West own way more points than they do, and they compete on equal footing to trade into the remaining 1100 and 1400 pt weeks.

So did some owners get their units downgraded? Technically no. But effectively yes. In a major way.

Just very important to wrap your head around this. This is the methodology Hyatt uses to downgrade weeks and owners have no recourse on the internal trading side of things. Your only recourse is to buy a week that you can use.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

Not true. There are, for example, legal limits on the manner in which DVC can change points values.

I'm not splitting hairs- it's just really important to understand your product. And to be aware that there are very real differences as to how different systems can change things from a legal perspective.

There are no restrictions on the way in which Hyatt can changes their points allotments.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not true. There are, for example, legal limits on the manner in which DVC can change points values.

I'm not splitting hairs- it's just really important to understand your product. And to be aware that there are very real differences as to how different systems can change things from a legal perspective.

There are no restrictions on the way in which Hyatt can changes their points allotments.

For the vast majority of TSs, it is true. Still don't think DVC is worth the cost, even if you can recoup your investment and earn some; I can earn far more investing elsewhere. As I 've said before, I don't consider TSs an investment; they are a prepaid expense for future travel. Even if Hyatt's point system is completely revamped to our detriment (which I highly doubt), my gold week at High Sierra (like yours) trades extremely well in II. Have gotten many Marriott exchanges with my Hyatt points. Our Hyatt week is like the 'energizer bunny' -just keeps going and going and going. So happy we purchased it. Recouped what we paid long ago. You have to buy into the system that works for you; if you feel like it's not working, it's time to sell..

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have they literally downgraded weeks? Not to my knowledge.

Have they effectively downgraded weeks? Yes. Multiple times.

They way Hyatt goes about effectively downgrading weeks is that they *increase* the point values of certain weeks while keeping others the same. For example, the recent changes to point values in Key West. When they go about it this way, it's more palatable to owners: the ones who don't care about trading into Key West shrug. The ones whose weeks were upgraded in points value are happy, they feel like they got something for free. The owners of lower value weeks who did NOT get their weeks increased in value are upset but Hyatt just says, "hey we sold you a week, and it's fair game for us to change the points system as we see fit".

But for sure all you need to do is be a member of the Hyatt Residence Club FB page and read the posts there- owners of 1100 and 1400 point weeks that were not upgraded now have very slim pickings as to the weeks available to them, many of the 1100 and 1400 pt weeks they could previously trade into are now 2000 pt weeks. They can't ever trade into them, they don't have enough points. And other than Sunset Harbor, they can't just choose a smaller unit because most of the units in Key West are 2BR. And to make things worse for them, now many owners in Key West own way more points than they do, and they compete on equal footing to trade into the remaining 1100 and 1400 pt weeks.

So did some owners get their units downgraded? Technically no. But effectively yes. In a major way.

Just very important to wrap your head around this. This is the methodology Hyatt uses to downgrade weeks and owners have no recourse on the internal trading side of things. Your only recourse is to buy a week that you can use.
Exactly, well said!! The people who were generally the "low" points buyers, who because of the "upgraded" weeks (mainly Key West), have had their tradability affected. These "low" points owners only remedy is to buy more points or do without the old tradable resorts. What I was wondering was if Hyatt had ever done the reverse of this: change weeks that were Diamond or Platinum into Gold, Silver or Bronze weeks, leaving those owners in the same position: buy more points or just use the week you bought. The first scenario, "week upgrade", would only effect trading into Key West (or where resorts were upgraded.) The second scenario, "week downgrade", would effect all trading into every Hyatt resort...

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For the vast majority of TSs, it is true. Still don't think DVC is worth the cost, even if you can recoup your investment and earn some; I can earn far more investing elsewhere. As I 've said before, I don't consider TSs an investment; they are a prepaid expense for future travel. Even if Hyatt's point system is completely revamped to our detriment (which I highly doubt), my gold week at High Sierra (like yours) trades extremely well in II. Have gotten many Marriott exchanges with my Hyatt points. Our Hyatt week is like the 'energizer bunny' -just keeps going and going and going. So happy we purchased it. Recouped what we paid long ago.
Totally agree!! I also like the "motivation" factor (use it or lose it) and the opportunity to get 2-3,4 BR units (we travel as a family or with friends), vs renting several hotel rooms with their resort fees and outrageous "hotel" taxes!!!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
You have to buy into the system that works for you; if you feel like it's not working, it's time to sell..

Sure.

But you can also rationally discuss the drawbacks of various systems and be displeased with the drawbacks of a system without this meaning "it's time to sell". Like most things in life, it's not that simplistic, not purely black & white.

Part of what happens on this forum is that knowledgable people weigh the positives and the negatives of each system and discuss them when others have questions. There are indeed pretty significant negatives to the Hyatt system. There are also pretty significant positives. So people can come to these boards, read these threads, absorb the information, and make informed decisions as to their ownerships. That's what it's about.

So IMO discussion of the drawbacks of a system are not necessarily indications that the poster is "unhappy" and that "it's time to sell". In my case, I know the pros and cons of most things I own, to me that's just part of being an informed owner.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got word that a purchase of an Odd Gold 1880 point contract passed ROFR at $2,000. So now I am at 3280 EOY. Hope it will transfer soon in case Hyatt decides to determine a cutoff date for potential future conversion to the new program.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got word that a purchase of an Odd Gold 1880 point contract passed ROFR at $2,000. So now I am at 3280 EOY. Hope it will transfer soon in case Hyatt decides to determine a cutoff date for potential future conversion to the new program.
Congratulations!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'm still waiting to hear whether an EY Platinum 2000 point offer passes ROFR. Paperwork was submitted 4 weeks ago...

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm still waiting to hear whether an EY Platinum 2000 point offer passes ROFR. Paperwork was submitted 4 weeks ago...
Good luck! You should hear any day. They have 30 days to respond I believe

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good luck! You should hear any day. They have 30 days to respond I believe
Thanks! I was told should be any day now. Maybe the beginning of next week...

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was just informed the EY 2000 point Platinum HWOR just passed ROFR. The closing documents should arrive sometime later this week. I will update the price on Kal's website as soon as the sale is final. Am I correct in assuming that it will be another month before we are in Hyatt's system, or am I being optimistic?

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
You may be somewhat optimistic in that we had closed on our sale at Sun Set right at a month ago, and they still haven't cashed the 650.00 transfer check. Deed has been recorded and papers sent to Hyatt for the welcome package to the new owners. Realizing that one has nothing to do with the other. Chief financial officer (wife) is going nutz.......

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You may be somewhat optimistic in that we had closed on our sale at Sun Set right at a month ago, and they still haven't cashed the 650.00 transfer check. Deed has been recorded and papers sent to Hyatt for the welcome package to the new owners. Realizing that one has nothing to do with the other. Chief financial officer (wife) is going nutz.......

Hmmm, so maybe more like 2 months... Wow! Have you updated Kal's ROFR database yet?

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
Hmmm, so maybe more like 2 months... Wow! Have you updated Kal's ROFR database yet?
Not yet......After dealing with Hyatt and multiple time shares with them. It would seem that unless you owe them money they move at the speed of corporate........not very fast. I would imagine that re-sales would be on the back burner since they didn't make a buck.......Just thinkin:rolleyes: