• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I've noticed the lack of 2-3 bed units right at 59 days--is it the II upgrade fees causing this?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
If I do a search for Orlando from now to 60 days out, there are very few 2 bedrooms. After 60 days, there are many 2 bedrooms.

It's pretty obvious to me people are saving their upgrade fees and grabbing at 59 days. Makes it tough to get something last-minute.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
If I do a search for Orlando from now to 60 days out, there are very few 2 bedrooms. After 60 days, there are many 2 bedrooms.

It's pretty obvious to me people are saving their upgrade fees and grabbing at 59 days. Makes it tough to get something last-minute.
I'm having a hard time even seeing 2 bedrooms 60 days out and beyond. I'm looking for all of 2018 and thru April of 2019. Slim pickings, I have my OGS set up but I still like to see what jewels can be found by hand searching

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score

At 60 days out don't they show the inventory as both an exchange and getaway?? (Or did I dream this?? LOL!) If so, what you're seeing might have more to do with the recent platinum escape sale they had a couple weeks ago. Orlando was $97/wk for the studios with dates thru mid-June. I don't remember what they larger units were, but they were a steal & seemed to move pretty fast.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

I think there's been several changes over the last few years which have created a shift in available inventory. The upgrade fee is a part of that but, I would have expected to see more, not fewer, larger units as people refuse to pay an additional $99 per size upgrade. Going from a high season studio to a low season 2 bedroom just double in price when you add the $198 in upgrade fee's to the cost. I know I haven't taken a larger unit, or deposited a studio unit, with II since this fee wa implemented.

I think there's a different issue creating a shortage of available larger units than what might have been seen in the past and this goes back to the developer/management companies. In the past few years more and more companies have been at work creating "exclusive" clubs for their members. Internal exchange clubs where it's cheaper and easier for their members to get what they want. It's made it so owners within these groups are more reluctant to trade out of those clubs, thus denying II the variety of units once seen by everyone. Once Marriott went to its Destinations Club they gained a larger control over their inventory, giving themselves the ability to lock in the better weeks for Marriott owners and locking out everyone else. It gives their sales staff the ability to say you need to own with us to stay with us. It also gives them leverage against someone saying they'd rather own a cheap MF week and trade in vs buying a week with Marriott. Many developers seem to have adopted this tactic and, it very well may be working for them based on some of the posts I've seen here.

Which takes me back to my mantra of own where you're happiest staying or, with a group that provides you the destinations you desire most. Exchanging is like standing on shifting sands. What works today might not work tomorrow. You need to be able to adapt as they continue to change the rules. It's not a fixed target but one that keeps moving all the time. Since 1998 we've seen a lot of changes, going from fixed weeks to floating weeks to points to clubs, and it's required versatility, flexibility and persistence to continue to get what we want out of time sharing. In the past few years we've even divested ourselves of 3 timeshares which either no longer fit our needs or became to expensive with all their fee's and Club expenses that they no longer provided the value we demanded.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Part of it on the margin is that the exchange companies prefer smaller units since they get more fees. ILG is definitely locking off vistana deposits, so instead of a two bedroom they get two exchange fees from a studio and a 1 bedroom.

They might be getting Marriott to do this as well in exchange for inventory for the DC.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Part of it on the margin is that the exchange companies prefer smaller units since they get more fees. ILG is definitely locking off vistana deposits, so instead of a two bedroom they get two exchange fees from a studio and a 1 bedroom.

They might be getting Marriott to do this as well in exchange for inventory for the DC.

Interesting conspiracy theory and one I wouldn't put past the exchange companies.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There has been a noticeable decline in Vistana 2 bedroom deposits in II and an uptick in studio/1bedroom deposits since ILG bought Vistana.

That's observable, and the incentive II has to do so is just logic, so I think it's somewhat short of a conspiracy theory.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
There has been a noticeable decline in Vistana 2 bedroom deposits in II and an uptick in studio/1bedroom deposits since ILG bought Vistana.

That's observable, and the incentive II has to do so is just logic, so I think it's somewhat short of a conspiracy theory.

I noticed a similar trend years ago when DRI, which managed Polo Towers, bought out Sunterra. Once Polo Towers was merged into the old Sunterra points program I stopped seeing 2 bedroom instant exchanges available online.

Of note it's only been an issue with instant exchanges. I haven't had a problem getting 2 bedroom units when we've placed requests for on going searches.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In the past I would see "2 bedroom" units at the wine country location that features mobile home accommodations. (Blanking on the name.) We stayed in one a few years back. Never see them now, only 1 BR and studios.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the past I would see "2 bedroom" units at the wine country location that features mobile home accommodations. (Blanking on the name.) We stayed in one a few years back. Never see them now, only 1 BR and studios.

California Vacation Club, Riverpointe Napa Valley. I remember staying in a 2-bedroom there also.