• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

July 4th and Thanksgiving weeks

Naritai

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Hyatt seasons chart, I see the following notes: "4th of July will be guaranteed as Fixed and will change accordingly between weeks 26 and 27. **Thanksgiving week will be guaranteed as Fixed and will change accordingly between weeks 46, 47, and 48"... etc etc.

Does that mean that there are certain fixed weeks designated as 'Thanksgivings weeks', and they move around from year to year so that they always land on Thanksgiving? Is it right on the deed? i.e.. whoever owns the non-4th week of 26 or 27 will always get bumped to the non-holiday week? That seems that it will have pretty strong effects on the relative value of those weeks.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, what they're saying is Thanksgiving or 4th of July will not ALWAYS occur on the week you own. There are other restrictions applicable to weeks where a major holiday occurs. Easter is another holiday but not specifically mentioned.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Looking at the Hyatt seasons chart, I see the following notes: "4th of July will be guaranteed as Fixed and will change accordingly between weeks 26 and 27. **Thanksgiving week will be guaranteed as Fixed and will change accordingly between weeks 46, 47, and 48"... etc etc.

Does that mean that there are certain fixed weeks designated as 'Thanksgivings weeks', and they move around from year to year so that they always land on Thanksgiving? Is it right on the deed? i.e.. whoever owns the non-4th week of 26 or 27 will always get bumped to the non-holiday week? That seems that it will have pretty strong effects on the relative value of those weeks.
I believe you are correct, but am not an expert on Hyatt.

Naritai

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, what they're saying is Thanksgiving or 4th of July will not ALWAYS occur on the week you own. There are other restrictions applicable to weeks where a major holiday occurs. Easter is another holiday but not specifically mentioned.

I see, thanks. To put it another way: I'd like to try to buy a week that is on a holiday. I'm sure that there will be a premium as compared to other weeks, so if I'm going to pay that premium I'd like some sort of assurance that I'm really going to get my week in that holiday. I've seen that HGVC sells certain 'holiday week' contracts - does Hyatt do the same?

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt does not guarantee or sell holiday weeks. It sells fixed weeks irrespective of specific holiday dates in any given year. Accompanying points values which can be used to trade within the HRC system are definitely related to peak demand seasons which can be influenced by holiday periods, but not exclusively so. (For example, Diamond weeks in Colorado correspond to the ski season regardless of holidays which may fall during that period as well.) This system works fine for almost every U.S. holiday except Easter. For more information on this, you can check the sticky on this forum entitled "Hyatt Points Chart".

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, certain fixed weeks designated as "4th of July" and "Thanksgiving weeks" will have their respective week number vary year to year so that the owned week will always land on 4th of July or Thanksgiving.

Buuut, that only occurs at specific select properties - ie: Northstar and that's it.

Naritai

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, certain fixed weeks designated as "4th of July" and "Thanksgiving weeks" will have their respective week number vary year to year so that the owned week will always land on 4th of July or Thanksgiving.

Buuut, that only occurs at specific select properties - ie: Northstar and that's it.

I see now that the * and ** only even apply to Northstar - strange that they would do that. Especially because Thanksgiving is clearly not a desirable week at Northstar.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
Hyatt does not guarantee or sell holiday weeks. It sells fixed weeks irrespective of specific holiday dates in any given year. Accompanying points values which can be used to trade within the HRC system are definitely related to peak demand seasons which can be influenced by holiday periods, but not exclusively so. (For example, Diamond weeks in Colorado correspond to the ski season regardless of holidays which may fall during that period as well.) This system works fine for almost every U.S. holiday except Easter. For more information on this, you can check the sticky on this forum entitled "Hyatt Points Chart".
Don't forget "leap yr." 20yrs. ago we bought week 27 at sunset harbor, which traditional feel during the 4th. This yr. week 27 is 9th thru 16th. As I understand the new club rules, the shifting of weeks for the 4th and thanksgiving was in the mountain resorts.

Naritai

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget "leap yr." 20yrs. ago we bought week 27 at sunset harbor, which traditional feel during the 4th. This yr. week 27 is 9th thru 16th. As I understand the new club rules, the shifting of weeks for the 4th and thanksgiving was in the mountain resorts.

Alright, I sat down and just churned through the dates for the next 8 years, and found:
-for a Sat-Sat week, Thanksgiving falls in week 46 5 years, and 47 3 years
-for a Sun-Sun week, Thanksgiving falls in week 46 4 years, and 47 4 years
(Leap years definitely throw the system a curveball)

So a fixed-week system doesn't really work at all for targeting Thanksgiving - especially because November is otherwise the least desirable period of the year where I'm looking, so any week immediately next to Thanksgiving will have meagre value (financial or personal).

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are other special event periods at the other resorts that do not occur on a Timeshare Calendar schedule. An example would be Fantasy Fest in Key West. For some owners, they absolutely do not want to be in town during that event. For others, that's the reason to own a particular week.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
Alright, I sat down and just churned through the dates for the next 8 years, and found:
-for a Sat-Sat week, Thanksgiving falls in week 46 5 years, and 47 3 years
-for a Sun-Sun week, Thanksgiving falls in week 46 4 years, and 47 4 years
(Leap years definitely throw the system a curveball)

So a fixed-week system doesn't really work at all for targeting Thanksgiving - especially because November is otherwise the least desirable period of the year where I'm looking, so any week immediately next to Thanksgiving will have meagre value (financial or personal).
Yes. your right, it does throw a curve ball. As long as you know that going in, it doesn't hurt as bad, but it something that has never been mentioned in any TS update, or the original developer one we bought 20 yrs. ago. We were fortunate enough to use points and go some where else, when that happened. I always felt it wasn't fair. In another conversation I had with another TUGGER, my gripe was "who buys week 53, only to use once every 4th yr."

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Others can verify this, but I believe Week 53 is optionally owned by owners of Week 52. Of course, if they choose to use Week 53, they'd have to pay an extra week's MF's, but the week is theirs to reserve during the HRPP every four years. I've just recently read the Use Agreement for Hyatt Ka'anapali and this is how Week 53 is handled.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Others can verify this, but I believe Week 53 is optionally owned by owners of Week 52. Of course, if they choose to use Week 53, they'd have to pay an extra week's MF's, but the week is theirs to reserve during the HRPP every four years. I've just recently read the Use Agreement for Hyatt Ka'anapali and this is how Week 53 is handled.

Week 53 is handled differently by each resort, and is not the same across the board. 800-Go Hyatt will tell you 53 goes to the owner of 52. NOT correct.

I know at all three resorts in KW, week 53's by contract are owned by the original developer. They may choose to rent them themselves, rent to HRC or whatever they want. Last year, the resorts didn't know what the developer was going to do until sometime in mid/late-summer. The resort managers kept saying to just put in a request and they thought it would be available for the same point value, but they didn't know for sure.

I knew someone who wanted to rent part of 53 to piggyback onto their 52 because of the way the calendar fell (Their Wk 52 Sat check in ended on Dec 31) and they ended up not going at all because they couldn't get a firm answer.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget "leap yr."

To keep the TS "week" calendar somewhat in sync with the Calendar "week", every 5 years, Hyatt inserts a week 53 - the next 53 week year will be in 2021.

I think the only properties where week 53 goes to the week 52 owners are the Colorado properties.