• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jump in resale prices

happyhopian

Reaction score
I don't know how many here follow ebay sales but I've been tracking prices for a while and I've noticed that price per thousand has gone up dramatically. It has nearly doubled since the fall. I was regularly buying below $2.50/1000 in the back end of 2016 and now the prices are $4-$8 and some closing at $10/1000 on CWA but there was also a Steamboat Springs go for nearly $8/1000. I guess this is good news depending on if you are a buyer or a seller. Thoughts?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Always is at its lowest end of Oct - Dec 31. Tends to go up March and through the summer .

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember a number of regular buyers left the market. It sounds like others are coming back in

I'm trying to figure out where pricing is right now and what I see is that the larger contracts are selling but the little stuff; not so much. But I havent been watching long enough to be sure

Last edited:

happyhopian

Reaction score
I did a spreadsheet that I update frequently and I agree in looking back that there is a seasonal trend over the last two years I did not notice. Right now inventory is also down so that likely has an impact. I bought 800k points @ 2.25 average in November and now those same contracts are north of $5 as much as $10...just crazy right now.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did a spreadsheet that I update frequently and I agree in looking back that there is a seasonal trend over the last two years I did not notice. Right now inventory is also down so that likely has an impact. I bought 800k points @ 2.25 average in November and now those same contracts are north of $5 as much as $10...just crazy right now.

Over the last two years, $2.25 is actually the crazier number. $7-$10 for decent contracts in Summer.

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid $7 per 1k back in August for a CWA. I know some people on here would say that is too high but I bought it off of here on TUG via a member that specializes in resells and works for a title company. It put my mind at ease. Really glad I did because the first year of points (2017) was short in points and she made it right. I know some sellers would not have.

happyhopian

Reaction score
Yes. For some there are closing and transfer cost and for others there are not. For example only for CWA contracts (including transfer/closing cost where they are charged) over all of 2016 the average for CWA is $5.15/1000. My personal purchase is under $4. I blind bid everything at $3/1k after that I manage my bids on a case by case basis. I mis a lot but I am not a chaser. There is not a lot of inventory on line right now. After looking things over since posting this I believe that is the reason for the recent spike. Others will say that is not a spike, but a return to normal. There were more than 30 wyndham deeded auctions which received zero bids in the last quarter of 2016 alone. Some of these were trash of course, and in most every case the minimum bid was at least $99 PLUS closing/transfer cost. I did not track each one but in many cases I did watch the price was reduced to $1 and/or the closing cost was removed and in even some cases for branson and other properties the sellers were paying transfer and closing cost with auction starting bids as low as $1. It only takes a couple of months to hold this inventory with MF before it starts eating away annual profits on other sales. Don't know if this helps but it has been very helpful to me in my acquisitions.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Look at the completed sales of "Wyndham points" auctions on eBay - many of them are essentially worthless. You'll spend more on the transfer/closing fees than actual purchase price. A recent Nashville one went for $1 plus $299 transfer fee.

EDIT: Just checked MFs at Nashville: $6.67 per thousand points, not including program fees...ouch.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at the completed sales of "Wyndham points" auctions on eBay - many of them are essentially worthless. You'll spend more on the transfer/closing fees than actual purchase price. A recent Nashville one went for $1 plus $299 transfer fee.

EDIT: Just checked MFs at Nashville: $6.67 per thousand points, not including program fees...ouch.

the little ones go back to Wyndham via Ovation but the bigger ones like the Bali Hai I posted and 300000+ contracts ought to work if you can get them for the right number

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
No, it was effectively 154,000 per year; although the price did include all transfer/closing fees.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
i thought so too. In fact I thought it was a mistake. Maybe like you the bidders thought it was an annual contract. But even then it's high

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i thought so too. In fact I thought it was a mistake. Maybe like you the bidders thought it was an annual contract. But even then it's high
I just looked at the first eBay page, saw the winning bid and points... $7K for 308,000 points... Wow!!!

happyhopian

Reaction score
I know this is crazy but what is strange is the tremendous fall in inventory. For most of 2016 there were always 20 or more wyndham access contracts for sale on ebay. For the last two months I haven't seen more than 10 and today there are only 8. At first I thought maybe Wyndham had entered the market but then I noticed it was an inventory drop sending prices up. I'm just not buying right now. I got lots at the end of last year (750k) in the range I stated earlier so I'll just wait. Another thing I noticed is that the large sellers are changing their rules SO READ CAREFULLY. I notice several who are now requiring payment of Maint fees stating with first day of the new year (january/april/june). That is CRAZY considering Wyndham right now if JUST closing November contracts. I would be FURIOUS if I paid fair price for the auction, plus closing, plus tranfer and then they wanted me to pay maint fees during the transfer process....but clearly some are paying that so the costs are even higher. Me feels very confident that the prices will go back down when inventory comes back on line from the end of year sell off.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is crazy but what is strange is the tremendous fall in inventory. For most of 2016 there were always 20 or more wyndham access contracts for sale on ebay. For the last two months I haven't seen more than 10 and today there are only 8. At first I thought maybe Wyndham had entered the market but then I noticed it was an inventory drop sending prices up. I'm just not buying right now. I got lots at the end of last year (750k) in the range I stated earlier so I'll just wait. Another thing I noticed is that the large sellers are changing their rules SO READ CAREFULLY. I notice several who are now requiring payment of Maint fees stating with first day of the new year (january/april/june). That is CRAZY considering Wyndham right now if JUST closing November contracts. I would be FURIOUS if I paid fair price for the auction, plus closing, plus tranfer and then they wanted me to pay maint fees during the transfer process....but clearly some are paying that so the costs are even higher. Me feels very confident that the prices will go back down when inventory comes back on line from the end of year sell off.

I think inventory is down because Wyndham is doing a better job promoting Ovation. Owners that want out used to only have 3 choices, default, sell it on their own or pay one of the timeshare relief companies. Most of what was on ebay was timeshare relief company inventory

now with Ovation lots of what used go to timeshare relief companies is going back to Wyndham. There is no reason for a Wyndham owner to pay to dump what they own.

So now all you see on ebay are the contracts from owners that know about the secondary market owners are unwilling to just give what they own back to Wyndham and the timeshare relief companies inventory from the folks that just dont know about ovation or the secondary market. And the better job Wyndham does with Ovation, the more ebay supply will go down.

Bottom line; supply is down, which in a perfect world ought to push prices up. In fact given the reduced inventory I would expect prices to be much higher than they are. So why arent they? I think its because a lot of us former big buyers have dropped out of the market since the account suspensions last August.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points
I think inventory is down because Wyndham is doing a better job promoting Ovation. Owners that want out used to only have 3 choices, default, sell it on their own or pay one of the timeshare relief companies. Most of what was on ebay was timeshare relief company inventory

now with Ovation lots of what used go to timeshare relief companies is going back to Wyndham. There is no reason for a Wyndham owner to pay to dump what they own.

So now all you see on ebay are the contracts from owners that know about the secondary market owners are unwilling to just give what they own back to Wyndham and the timeshare relief companies inventory from the folks that just dont know about ovation or the secondary market. And the better job Wyndham does with Ovation, the more ebay supply will go down.

Bottom line; supply is down, which in a perfect world ought to push prices up. In fact given the reduced inventory I would expect prices to be much higher than they are. So why arent they? I think its because a lot of us former big buyers have dropped out of the market since the account suspensions last August.

Hey Ron, why don't you start a ts relief company?

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater

I agree with this assessment. People are giving their stuff back to Wyndham for free instead of paying a relief service. I think the only thing we will see in eBay as we move forward are deeds that actually have resale value because of location or low maintenance fees. And the price will go up. I paid $9/1000 for a Bali Hai Presidential Reserve contract and am very happy with that. You will see much more of that and less low point/high MF contracts. They will go to Ovation.