• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just bought Bay Club....how do I use the first year points?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I just bought a Bay Club unit (2 bedroom penthouse - EOY odd, 7000 pts) from Sumday. I suppose it will close in 1 - 2 months. I have 2017 usage but I will not be able to use the points this year. We would like to use them in 2018 or 2019 for Italy (if possible). I have read lots of threads and the stickies and I am still confused about how I will use those points for a later year reservation.

Can I just make the reservation in 2017 for 2018 or do the points have to be utilized in the use year? Do I "save" them first? Also, if I don't use up all of those points, would depositing the balance into RCI extend them for the longest period of time? For the record, we plan on using this unit at least half the time. I know that it is probably not the best per point purchase I could have made, but we truly prefer eoy contracts. (I know about the club dues - it is what it is ;))

Sorry - I know that these are basic questions but I am a learn by doing kind of person.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
First, you'll need to enroll your unit in HGVC. At affiliates, membership is not automatic.
When you make a booking, points are drawn from the year of your use (stay), so...
If you make a reservation in 2017 for a stay in 2018, it will draw your points from 2018...
Unless you first "save" your 2017 points for use in 2018. They'll become like 2018 points.

The system first draws saved-points, then that year's points, and lastly, borrows points.
If in 2018, you can't use all the points you saved, you can deposit them to the RCI program.
But that means you won't touch your new 2018 points and will need to extend them as well.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First, you'll need to enroll your unit in HGVC. At affiliates, membership is not automatic.
When you make a booking, points are drawn from the year of your use (stay), so...
If you make a reservation in 2017 for a stay in 2018, it will draw your points from 2018...
Unless you first "save" your 2017 points for use in 2018. They'll become like 2018 points.

The system first draws saved-points, then that year's points, and lastly, borrows points.
If in 2018, you can't use all the points you saved, you can deposit them to the RCI program.
But that means you won't touch your new 2018 points and will need to extend them as well.

Thanks for the information. We are buying an EOY odd unit. Do I save the 2017 points into 2018? If I do that, I need to use them in some way by 12/31/2018?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We are buying an EOY odd unit. Do I save the 2017 points into 2018? If I do that, I need to use them in some way by 12/31/2018?

That is correct. Your saved-points will be treated like 2018 points, but they cannot be saved again. They will expire 12/31/18, but their term may be extended by deposit to the RCI program. The club rules say: "Members may deposit... previously Saved ClubPoints into the RCI Exchange Program for future reservations. RCI deposits are valid from the date of deposit through an additional two calendar years... [P]oints previously deposited with RCI scheduled to expire at the end of the current year, may be extended for one additional year."

I suggest that you read the rules, start to finish, 4-5 times, and refer to them as issues arise.
See: http://www.hgvclubprogram.com/content/2017-HGV-Club-Reference.pdf

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the clarification and for the link to the 2017 Club rules. I hadn't seen that. I was confused on usage of the points because of the biennial use year. I appreciate the information.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Bay Club unit (2 bedroom penthouse - EOY odd, 7000 pts) from Sumday. I suppose it will close in 1 - 2 months. I have 2017 usage but I will not be able to use the points this year. We would like to use them in 2018 or 2019 for Italy (if possible). I have read lots of threads and the stickies and I am still confused about how I will use those points for a later year reservation.

Can I just make the reservation in 2017 for 2018 or do the points have to be utilized in the use year? Do I "save" them first? Also, if I don't use up all of those points, would depositing the balance into RCI extend them for the longest period of time? For the record, we plan on using this unit at least half the time. I know that it is probably not the best per point purchase I could have made, but we truly prefer eoy contracts. (I know about the club dues - it is what it is ;))

Sorry - I know that these are basic questions but I am a learn by doing kind of person.

Out of Curiosity, what are those units going for now en days?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Out of Curiosity, what are those units going for now en days?
Judy Koz has them listed for $2000 I believe. I found a deal through Sumday though - $900 plus free 2017 usage.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Judy Koz has them listed for $2000 I believe. I found a deal through Sumday though - $900 plus free 2017 usage.
900 all In after closing costs? Plus about 500 enrollment. . Not bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
900 all In after closing costs? Plus about 500 enrollment. . Not bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Yep. At that price I couldn't say no. We loved the Bay Club when we stayed there. Having access to the top floor units was a plus.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

To do enrollment, be sure to get your contract number from the closing company after they notify the resort of your new ownership. Then contact clubsupport@hgvc.com to request an activation agreement form. Only took 1-2 weeks for HGVC to process my form.

Bay Club uses paper forms when you want to use your whole week in your use year. I haven't used one in my 2 years ownership, but plan to for 2018 :). Their reservation form had owners list 1st, 2nd,3rd week choices. I think platinum owners can basically reserve 1-52, so some competition for weeks 51-52.