• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Just Joined Marriott Vacation Club - Was it a good choice?

What is the equivalent USD value of a DC point when booking travel?

• Total voters

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I'm still hoping the OP is really not a buyer. In any event it is a terrible deal. I'm on the other side of the TS debate having previously owned one. I truly feel my experience gives me perspective.
I understand current owners defending the product because I was once in their shoes.
Anyone contemplating a purchase should go beyond reading a message board. Please consult a financial advisor and discuss with trusted family and friends before you commit.

Just because it was a bad experience for you, does not mean you should discount the MANY people in this thread that have pointed out fact after fact that shows that, for some people, timeshares can be a very good deal. Just because you made a mistake for your circumstances doesn't mean it's bad for everyone.

Most financial advisors know very little about timeshares. Your "trusted family and friends" probably know even less. TUG members are the most knowledgeable group of timeshare owners on the planet. I would consider the voices on this board far more knowledgeable about the pluses and minuses of timeshare ownership than most financial advisors or most people you would cross paths with. The average guy on the street or financial advisors have all heard the horror stories about people who bought on a whim while on vacation and then regretted it, so their perspectives are skewed. People who are happy about their ownership don't talk as much about it as people who are unhappy.

It's also a matter of education. As TUG demonstrates, when you have knowledge about the best ways to make timeshare work, it can work very, very well. People like financial advisors and most of your friends and family don't have that knowledge, so they don't know how to make timeshare work. So yes, they will be more receptive to the negative voices.

There is no objective way - other than just willfully ignoring the facts of the OP's situation - that you could say that the OP bought on a whim. He analyzed the deal more than about anyone I have seen on this board in years. He then rescinded the original deal and got a better one. The OP is not your typical uninformed timeshare buyer that gets pressured or cajoled into making a bad decision while in the vacation euphoria.

The thing about message boards is you have to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff. You'll get lots of different opinions (as is demonstrated by this thread), so you have to be able to read them, ask more questions, and determine which opinions fit your situation and which do not. It seems the OP has done that very well and has settled on an approach that will probably work very well for him. You obviously don't agree with that because the choice he made would not be right for you, but that doesn't mean it is not right for him. Remember, I've said it over and over, one size does not fit all.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love fixed weeks and own a few in New Orleans. I especially love fixed units. Unfortunately there are very few out there.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm still hoping the OP is really not a buyer. In any event it is a terrible deal. I'm on the other side of the TS debate having previously owned one. I truly feel my experience gives me perspective.
I understand current owners defending the product because I was once in their shoes.
Anyone contemplating a purchase should go beyond reading a message board. Please consult a financial advisor and discuss with trusted family and friends before you commit.

Anybody who needs to consult a financial advisor before sinking money into a timeshare obviously needs a financial advisor for a whole lot more than advice about timeshares. It's easy. Timeshares are NOT financial investment vehicles, and only you know whether you can afford to buy what's in front of you or you can't. Beyond that of course it's prudent to learn what you can in order to make the choice that best fits your particular vacation lifestyle and your comfort level with person-to-person v. person-to-corporate transactions in order to live that lifestyle. But once you've done that, which this OP obviously has, buy whatever you want and ignore anybody - salesmen and owners alike - who tries to tell you that There Is Only One Good Timeshare Model And Yours Isn't It.

Good gravy, this isn't rocket science.

GoldenVIKE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GRC Tahoe -5 Wk Ski
St Kitts -Week 52
Ocean Pointe -Silver
DC/AP points
Anybody who needs to consult a financial advisor before sinking money into a timeshare obviously needs a financial advisor for a whole lot more than advice about timeshares. It's easy. Timeshares are NOT financial investment vehicles, and only you know whether you can afford to buy what's in front of you or you can't. Beyond that of course it's prudent to learn what you can in order to make the choice that best fits your particular vacation lifestyle and your comfort level with person-to-person v. person-to-corporate transactions in order to live that lifestyle. But once you've done that, which this OP obviously has, buy whatever you want and ignore anybody - salesmen and owners alike - who tries to tell you that There Is Only One Good Timeshare Model And Yours Isn't It.

Good gravy, this isn't rocket science.

Great quote.

In response to this question, a good financial adviser should probably ask, "Do you view this as a financial investment, or as a prepayment on a bunch of future vacations that fit your budget and which you were probably going to take in some fashion anyway?"

If the former, don't do it.

If the latter, go for it.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I wouldn't have purchased what the OP did I do hope he experiences what we did as a family, many,many priceless vacation memories with his family.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I have no issue with someone saying what you said in the quote above that timeshare doesn't make sense for them because of a reason like you gave. What I do have an issue with is blanket statements that say "Timeshares are a bad deal. Period" without regard for the fact that for some people it does make sense.
I agree, but most here likely would admit that for those people who have no understanding of how TS works in general, and DC points specifically, buying direct from the developer on the belief that everything they are told at a presentation is true (and not knowing what has been omitted), is almost always a bad idea.

There is a big difference between those whose TS knowledge going in is limited to what the person who promised free show tickets or rounds of golf told them vs. someone on TUG. In fact the OP has a better understanding than nearly all salespeople I have encountered, and a good percentage of TUG members.

People with little knowledge can get sucked into prases like: its just a discounted prepayment on a bunch of future vacations, or: its not like traditional timeshare where you are fighting with others in your season to reserve your week; or, its so easy, there's so much flexibility, you just call in and pick the places and dates you want to go, just like reserving a hotel.

Of course they are not told: be sure you reserve your vacation with days that are in the correct proportion to your elected and trust points; or, if you're looking to go to any of those places on those pretty pictures we just walked by, when kids aren't in school, be sure to get up at 6am 1 year in advance and keep redialing if the website is down; or you need to spend thousands more to reach a higher level to reserve at 13 months to snag the prime weeks, etc, etc.

I would modify the quote to say "Timeshares are generally a bad deal, for those whose expectations are only what they know from a developer sales pitch."

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I agree, but most here likely would admit that for those people who have no understanding of how TS works in general, and DC points specifically, buying direct from the developer on the belief that everything they are told at a presentation is true (and not knowing what has been omitted), is almost always a bad idea.

There is a big difference between those whose TS knowledge going in is limited to what the person who promised free show tickets or rounds of golf told them vs. someone on TUG. In fact the OP has a better understanding than nearly all salespeople I have encountered, and a good percentage of TUG members.

People with little knowledge can get sucked into prases like: its just a discounted prepayment on a bunch of future vacations, or: its not like traditional timeshare where you are fighting with others in your season to reserve your week; or, its so easy, there's so much flexibility, you just call in and pick the places and dates you want to go, just like reserving a hotel.

Of course they are not told: be sure you reserve your vacation with days that are in the correct proportion to your elected and trust points; or, if you're looking to go to any of those places on those pretty pictures we just walked by, when kids aren't in school, be sure to get up at 6am 1 year in advance and keep redialing if the website is down; or you need to spend thousands more to reach a higher level to reserve at 13 months to snag the prime weeks, etc, etc.

I would modify the quote to say "Timeshares are generally a bad deal, for those whose expectations are only what they know from a developer sales pitch."

Agree 100%. Most of what has been discussed in this 432-post thread has been in the context of the OP, not the typical person who purchases from a developer. I think the comments from some of us would have been very different if, way back in post #1, the OP had said:

"I just got back from a trip to the Caribbean and bought this great deal from Marriott, and now, whenever I want I can book two-bedroom ocean front condos in Maui in February or Christmas week at Park City. I didn't have the money to buy it, but it was such good deal, I couldn't turn it down. My sales rep said I was lucky because this was a one-day special, and they could finance it for me. So that's what I did. Was it a good deal?"

I think if that had been post #1, virtually everyone would have said rescind and do a lot of research. But in the OP's case, he clearly had done his homework, so in his case the answer is different.

The issue many of us have taken with the posters who are still critical of the OP's decision is that they seem to be applying the same metric they would apply to a newbie with no timeshare knowledge to the OP - someone who clearly understands and can afford what he is buying.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although the advice was to rescind. Even GregT advised to rescind once he realized the OP was still in the window. Then the OP ending up trying but the result was leverage to get a hybrid package that was initially refused. I think it ended up pretty well.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
now, whenever I want I can book two-bedroom ocean front condos in Maui in February or Christmas week at Park City.
This is where I'm concerned the OP will be disappointed because he paid a premium going direct for the convenience thinking that now he just can roll out of bedroom and the reservation will be easy and he'll get what he wants easily every time and that is simply not the case, especially with these that he mentioned.

He will still have to work for prime reservations just like someone who bought resale at a huge discount and he still might not get the exact week he really wants, just like many of us have encountered. He's also going to eat up many of his points with and the true cost will be similar to renting from Marriott when you factor in the huge initial investment.

I'm also surprised some of our experienced TUGGERs have approved because the mantra around here is buying a big package like this direct is an albatross that is highly discouraged. If this was a small add on package perhaps but spending the kind of money the OP did for what is thought to be super ease and convenience is tough to say it was a good move as the OP originally asked.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monastero
I actually posted my comments specific to the OP. The OP plans to finance this purchase and he has a young family. TS owners defaulted left and right on these loans during the recession. In the best of economies life has a way of evolving and it is not always positive. Illness, disability, job loss, job change, divorce can happen to the most confident of us. Not to mention interests and travel preference change as we get older and our families mature.
I wouldn't recommend the destination point package described by the OP to anyone, period. I've read these boards for years and many people agree with me that it is a boondoggle.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is where I'm concerned the OP will be disappointed because he paid a premium going direct for the convenience thinking that now he just can roll out of bedroom and the reservation will be easy and he'll get what he wants easily every time and that is simply not the case, especially with these that he mentioned.

He will still have to work for prime reservations just like someone who bought resale at a huge discount and he still might not get the exact week he really wants, just like many of us have encountered. He's also going to eat up many of his points with and the true cost will be similar to renting from Marriott when you factor in the huge initial investment.

I don't have the impression that the OP doesn't understand the "subject to availability" metric that's inherent in all floating timeshare plans. Just in case he doesn't, though, you're correct to point it out. No doubt all of us are in agreement that anybody who wants to book high-demand intervals needs to understand the reservation rules and why it's necessary to book those intervals as far in advance as possible.

I'm also surprised some of our experienced TUGGERs have approved because the mantra around here is buying a big package like this direct is an albatross that is highly discouraged. If this was a small add on package perhaps but spending the kind of money the OP did for what is thought to be super ease and convenience is tough to say it was a good move as the OP originally asked.

Really? I think since the DC introduction we Marriott TUGgers have come to realize that if DC Points are the desired product, a bundle package like what this OP has purchased is the soundest, most economically-advantageous, route to take. None of us would argue that the least-expensive way to get into Marriott ownership is now via external-resale Weeks, or, that the "best of both (Weeks and DC Points) worlds" are pre-2010 enrolled Weeks. But neither of those options are available to this OP as a newcomer to Marriott who wants to play with the Points product.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I actually posted my comments specific to the OP. The OP plans to finance this purchase and he has a young family. TS owners defaulted left and right on these loans during the recession. In the best of economies life has a way of evolving and it is not always positive. Illness, disability, job loss, job change, divorce can happen to the most confident of us. Not to mention interests and travel preference change as we get older and our families mature.
I wouldn't recommend the destination point package described by the OP to anyone, period. I've read these boards for years and many people agree with me that it is a boondoggle.

Your concern has already been addressed by replies from others but I'll repeat it - the OP has already said that he opted for financing in order to take advantage of additional incentives. We did the exact same thing when we bought years ago in order to collect 100's of 1000's additional MRP's. All it required was three months of installment payments on the loans after which we paid them off with the money we'd set aside for the purchases. Marriott loans have no pre-payment penalties so it really made no sense to us not to take advantage.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

The OP said he financed not because he had to, but for the incentives and some cash flow smoothing until a home is sold after a relocation. He said he will pay off at end of the required 18-month holding period. That's totally different than financing because you have to. My impression is the OP is a senior manager in a large company who makes good money. Yes, an unexpected disruption can occur, but often life is about taking managed risks. This seems like a managed risk for the OP.

There are many that agree with you, but there are many that also disagree. Your boondoggle may be another person's opportunity. What's right for you, may not be right for me.

Why are we still debating this anyway? We've established why some agree with the OP's decision and why others disagree. But the OP is very happy with how it all came out, seems content with his decision, and is ready to move on and enjoy his ownership. It seems to meet his needs better than any of the alternatives proposed (just as our similar, but smaller, package purchased 3 years ago meets our needs).

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
What? Are you telling me that OP purchased something that does not guarantee him a reservation he wants? So let's say his kids go to schools, and he wants a high demand week when kids are not in school. Like a New Years week or spring break week. Does he have a period when he is guaranteed to get what he wants, like a month-long period from 13 to 12 months before travel? Or does he have to play the reservation roulette? And may not get that week?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
What? Are you telling me that OP purchased something that does not guarantee him a reservation he wants? So let's say his kids go to schools, and he wants a high demand week when kids are not in school. Like a New Years week or spring break week. Does he have a period when he is guaranteed to get what he wants, like a month-long period from 13 to 12 months before travel? Or does he have to play the reservation roulette? And may not get that week?

There is never a "guarantee". But with his ownership level he can book in the 13 month window when part of the inventory is released and he's only competing with other high points owners, and then he gets a second shot at 12 months out when the rest of the inventory is released.

It's just like other limited supply/high demand bookings. If you want to reserve a few nights at the Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone, you need to reserve the day (or maybe the hour) they open up reservations. Or like at Disney World where you have to call right when reservations open for a specific date to get the character breakfast at Cinderella's Castle. There is no guarantee in either of those either, but if you act fast, you chance is decent to good.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

NOBODY who owns a floating timeshare ownership is guaranteed a particular reservation! You learn the rules for trying to get what you want all the while realizing that you're in competition with every other like owner.

This is Timeshare 101 and not exclusive to Marriott. Floating timeshares are currently the dominant model in the industry. I understand why some prefer fixed ownerships but can't for the life of me understand why those people insist that their way is the only way. Obviously, MANY of us who use floating ownerships are very happy with our choice.

[edited to add] Echino, I'm curious so went back through your posting history. You've asked for info about practically every timeshare system and since 2009 have been saying that buying timeshares is bad but renting them from owners is good. So why do you continue to visit this site if you can't contribute anything except blanket criticisms of any of the products? It's mind-boggling! There are some here (Bogey comes to mind but there are others) who used to own so at least when they criticize the current products it's based on first-hand knowledge and a legitimate comparison. And of course many here suggest that renting from owners is a wonderful option, either as owners who rent out what they own or owners who supplement their ownerships with rentals from other owners. But there are very few who come at it with the limited knowledge and experience that you (don't) appear to possess.

I guess TUG is a good place for you to find the rental inventory that gives you good vacations, but I don't see how you have any credibility when it comes to critiquing the relative benefits of specific ownership. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this was a small add on package perhaps but spending the kind of money the OP did for what is thought to be super ease and convenience is tough to say it was a good move as the OP originally asked.

How are you defining "small add on package" or "the kind of money the OP did"? An amount of money is relative.

If you make $75K a year combined household and you have a family of 5+ Marriott will probably sell you the the hybrid package the OP bought. It clearly would not be a wise thing to do. $300k combined? $1,000,000? At some point that "kind of money" becomes small, especially for someone who manages their money well.

It's been said and worth noting again that the only way to acquire DC points and have a lower maintenance fee ratio is to get a hybrid package. Someone correct me if I am wrong but even if the OP could have found 8,000 resale points and passed ROFR at a low enough level to be cheaper after junk fees they still would have come out behind long term due to the maintenance fee difference.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have the impression that the OP doesn't understand the "subject to availability" metric that's inherent in all floating timeshare plans. Just in case he doesn't, though, you're correct to point it out. No doubt all of us are in agreement that anybody who wants to book high-demand intervals needs to understand the reservation rules and why it's necessary to book those intervals as far in advance as possible.

Really? I think since the DC introduction we Marriott TUGgers have come to realize that if DC Points are the desired product, a bundle package like what this OP has purchased is the soundest, most economically-advantageous, route to take. None of us would argue that the least-expensive way to get into Marriott ownership is now via external-purchase Weeks, or, that the "best of both (Weeks and DC Points) worlds" are pre-2010 enrolled Weeks. But neither of those options are available to this OP as a newcomer to Marriott who wants to play with the Points product.

Here's my point because I know Maui so well and did really want to be on the DC bandwagon but the value was just not even close. OP mentions the desire for Maui 2BD OF in Feb. That would cost him 8650 DC points for just one week. How much does that translate in MFs costs and overall costs when you factor in huge initial outlay? I just bought a 2BDRM OF float in new towers for $19300 all-in. That is a huge value gap to justify.

OK so that is just Maui, let me look at the other one OP mentions because I'm pretty sure it would take even more points. Well actually Marriott doesn't have a Park City so looking at Marriott's Mountainside which I think is Marriott's top ski resort for a Christmas week it is 8000.

I won't provide any more example but I know when I recently investigated I saw for all the places we liked which I think most would consider high-end, Maui, Newport Beach, Grande Ocean and the value gap was huge. Where i saw some fair value in the DC was going to these locations during shoulder season where you could get more than a week, or sometimes 3 or 4 weeks. That is not what the OP is suggesting he wants to do and therefore he is very much like me and for me the DC comes up way short and I was just articulating that.

For those that do like the DC and think it's a good value, do you go for shoulder season multi-weeks or use all for a prime week at a high end location?

My hunch is the former.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's my point because I know Maui so well and did really want to be on the DC bandwagon but the value was just not even close. OP mentions the desire for Maui 2BD OF in Feb. That would cost him 8650 DC points for just one week. How much does that translate in MFs costs and overall costs when you factor in huge initial outlay? I just bought a 2BDRM OF float in new towers for $19300 all-in. That is a huge value gap to justify.

OK so that is just Maui, let me look at the other one OP mentions because I'm pretty sure it would take even more points. Well actually Marriott doesn't have a Park City so looking at Marriott's Mountainside which I think is Marriott's top ski resort for a Christmas week it is 8000.

I won't provide any more example but I know when I recently investigated I saw for all the places we liked which I think most would consider high-end, Maui, Newport Beach, Grande Ocean and the value gap was huge. Where i saw some fair value in the DC was going to these locations during shoulder season where you could get more than a week, or sometimes 3 or 4 weeks. That is not what the OP is suggesting he wants to do and therefore he is very much like me and for me the DC comes up way short and I was just articulating that.

For those that do like the DC and think it's a good value, do you go for shoulder season multi-weeks or use all for a prime week at a high end location?

My hunch is the former.

Yes but you are offering an alternative of buying a specific location. What about the next year? Exchanging into another extremely high value location and week is not an option. The OP may very well go after a resale week once they find something they really like.

For shoulder season you can buy cheapo resale weeks and exchange in II. I do it all the time and you usually don't need the Marriott preference to do it. Where I see the value of DC is short stays, shoulder or prime, and the prime weeks at high end where it's not where you want to go every year.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Skimming back through the thread I don't see where the OP has said that he'll be trying to use the Points in as limited a fashion as you've suggested. He said he knows that some stays will require more Points and that he'll maybe look into the Points rental market to supplement as needed, and that down the road as his needs change he'll explore the Points resale market. His Post #67 is proof enough that he knows what he's getting into, isn't it?

My hunch is the former.

In my case the DC system returns far more exchange value for my 3BR non-lockoffs than II ever did; that was my main incentive for enrolling Weeks in the DC as soon as it was introduced. That still is a powerful incentive but since then our kids are grown with their own families so now Don and I are using Points rather than Weeks to book smaller units for anywhere from 2 to 14 nights at a time. During the years since joining the DC we haven't ever gotten less value using Points than we would have if we'd booked our 3 Weeks.

We also faced some challenges with travel due to Don's recent 2-year stint in India, and some benefits too because we're sitting on a very healthy Marriott Rewards balance. Of course it's not going to be this way every year but this year is an embarrassment of riches. So we converted Weeks to Points and used them to book three 7-day 2BR Maui reservations this July, which have been rented out by a trusted TUGger because I still want no part of doing all that's necessary to rent out my timeshares. Even accounting for her fees we still have netted almost 3X the MF's and have 795 Points left to play with.

Granted, we're using enrolled Weeks which return a better value MF's-wise than purchased Points. But I don't think it's correct that most people who play in the DC Points sandbox have to sacrifice to make it work, and I think this OP has done his homework. After asking questions here he decided to purchase a Bundle Package rather than Points-only in order to lessen his upfront and ongoing costs. We can only hope that other new-to-Marriott folks will be as smart as he is. :)

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

My hunch is the former.
For us it is indeed the former, but not for everybody. The extreme example of our getting maximum value from using points is that we have been able to easily get the entire month of January ocean front at Grande Ocean for not much more than half the points we get for exchanging a Maui week, or for less points than we get from exchanging our Ko Olina week or our 3BR Las Vegas week. And we prefer Hilton Head in January to the hot and more crowded summer months. You can also often get prime resort accommodations in off season or shoulder season on short notice with the 30% discount for Presidential or Chairman's level status.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I think one of the things that this thread has highlighted is that there is no inexpensive way to access the Marriott point system (other than as Quilter has advised -- find a CC friend :)). We TUGgers are conditioned to the value of buying resale (which is real), which holds true with Marriott weeks and with other timeshare point systems like Starwood and HGVC.

But the reality is that Marriott has closed the ability to buy into their point system inexpensively. If the new visitor want to play in points with Marriott, there isn't a cheap option available to them. We can talk all we like about the value of existing resale weeks, benefits of renting from others, the premium cost associated with pure points from Marriott, and that there are cheaper point systems available resale (like Starwood and HGVC). But we really don't have the "rescind and buy (points) resale" advice available to us that was applicable for years to the person buying weeks. This is not an accidental design by Marriott.

All we can do is explain to the new visitor what their options are, which is more something along the lines of either 1) rescind and give up on being in Marriott's system or 2) convert the package to a hybrid. Even buying 8,000 points resale for the OP would probably cost him $45K and he would have higher MFs. It's an interesting situation.

Thoughts?

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

I think one of the things that this thread has highlighted is that there is no inexpensive way to access the Marriott point system (other than as Quilter has advised -- find a CC friend :)). We TUGgers are conditioned to the value of buying resale (which is real), and holds true with Marriott weeks and with other timeshare point systems like Starwood and HGVC.

But the reality is that Marriott has closed the ability to buy into their point system inexpensively. If the new visitor want to play in points with Marriott, there isn't a cheap option available to them. We can talk all we like about the value of existing resale weeks, benefits of renting from others, the premium cost associated with pure points from Marriott, and that there are cheaper point systems available resale (like Starwood and HGVC). But we really don't have the "rescind and buy (points) resale" advice available to us that was applicable for years to the person buying weeks. This is not an accidental design by Marriott.

All we can do is explain to the new visitor what their options are, which is more something along the lines of either 1) rescind and give up on being in Marriott's system or 2) convert the package to a hybrid. Even buying 8,000 points resale for the OP would probably cost him $45K and he would have higher MFs. It's an interesting situation.

Thoughts?

Best,

Greg
If you are an owner of points, complain about your inability to sell your membership to others and retain points. . Refuse to buy..

This stuff is just supply and demand. . Angry owners and no current current customers equals changes come..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
In my case the DC system returns far more exchange value for my 3BR non-lockoffs than II ever did; that was my main incentive for enrolling Weeks in the DC as soon as it was introduced. That still is a powerful incentive but since then our kids are grown with their own families so now Don and I are using Points rather than Weeks to book smaller units for anywhere from 2 to 14 nights at a time. During the years since joining the DC we haven't ever gotten less value using Points than we would have if we'd booked our 3 Weeks.

We also faced some challenges with travel due to Don's recent 2-year stint in India, and some benefits too because we're sitting on a very healthy Marriott Rewards balance. Of course it's not going to be this way every year but this year is an embarrassment of riches. So we converted Weeks to Points and used them to book three 7-day 2BR Maui reservations this July, which have been rented out by a trusted TUGger because I still want no part of doing all that's necessary to rent out my timeshares. Even accounting for her fees we still have netted almost 3X the MF's and have 795 Points left to play with.

Granted, we're using enrolled Weeks which return a better value MF's-wise than purchased Points. But I don't think it's correct that most people who play in the DC Points sandbox have to sacrifice to make it work, and I think this OP has done his homework. After asking questions here he decided to purchase a Bundle Package rather than Points-only in order to lessen his upfront and ongoing costs. We can only hope that other new-to-Marriott folks will be as smart as he is. :)

This is a great example of one of the advantages of points and why, for us, it's worth the extra cost vs. weeks ownership.

The anti-timeshare naysayers always use the argument - "Timeshare is for life. Your family needs may change as you go through the phases of raising children and then empty nest. Don't buy, it's too restrictive." In many ways, I think that can be a true statement for certain types of weeks ownership. That is, to an extent, why we sold a weeks-based timeshare we had owned for 16 years in another system right after we bought into Marriott in 2014. The other timeshare wasn't working for us anymore and it was going to be hard to make it work.

But points give you so many more usage options, as Susan has described, points can allow you to adapt your usage as your lifestyle changes. That's why I think points are the perfect solution for the OP. They have young children now, and over the next 20-30 years, the types of vacations thane take are going to change and evolve many times. Points can allow you to adapt much easier than the old restrictive forms of timeshare ownership. We bought our original timeshare in late 1998/early 1999 when our son was almost 4 and our daughter was 2 months. How I would have loved to have bought a Marriott points package back then.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
All,

I think one of the things that this thread has highlighted is that there is no inexpensive way to access the Marriott point system (other than as Quilter has advised -- find a CC friend :)). We TUGgers are conditioned to the value of buying resale (which is real), and holds true with Marriott weeks and with other timeshare point systems like Starwood and HGVC.

Thoughts?

Best,

Greg

Absolutely, Greg. I think we have a lot of folks comparing apples to oranges in this thread. You really can't compare renting weeks from owners and traditional weeks ownership to points ownership - they are different products with different advantages and disadvantages. Owner rentals and resale weeks are cheaper, but you can't accomplish the same things as easy as you can with points (short stays, cancellation flexibility, the ability to book a variety of unit sizes or views to fit your needs, etc).

So, if owner rentals or weeks ownership meets someone's needs, then that someone would be foolish to buy points. But if owner rentals do not meet their needs and if weeks ownership doesn't meet their needs, but points do, then I don't think it's a bad move (or a boondoggle as someone called it) to buy points (as long as they can afford it).

I also find it interesting that the voices most critical of the OP and most critical of buying points are folks who don't own points. It seems, most of the people in this thread who actually use their points seem to think they work pretty well. Of course, if I had a bunch of pre-2010 enrolled weeks that gave me a lot of points, I wouldn't have much of an appetite for buying Trust points, but for those of us who weren't part of the pre-2010 party, finding a way to buy into points as reasonably as possible becomes the only viable path to being able to play in points.