• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just sent my letter to cancel my timeshare!!

Cody Bartlett

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate smokey mountain!!
i just mailed my letter to cancel me and my wife's timeshare we got suckered into buying in gatlingburg!! Just going to get yalls expert opinion on if you think this letter should be good enough??

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
i just mailed my letter to cancel me and my wife's timeshare we got suckered into buying in gatlingburg!! Just going to get yalls expert opinion on if you think this letter should be good enough??

Make sure to follow the instructions in your paperwork in order to properly rescind your purchase. As long as you do that within the time period stipulated, you will be fine. If you used a credit card for any part of the purchase I would let the credit card company know you are cancelling your purchase.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

If you like the time sharing concept and want to own something, do your research and buy resale. TUG is a great place to research and get insights from experienced owners.

Best regards.

Mike

Cody Bartlett

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMG_2013.JPG
Make sure to follow the instructions in your paperwork in order to properly rescind your purchase. As long as you do that within the time period stipulated, you will be fine. If you used a credit card for any part of the purchase I would let the credit card company know you are cancelling your purchase.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

If you like the time sharing concept and want to own something, do your research and buy resale. TUG is a great place to research and get insights from experienced owners.

Best regards.

Mike

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Certified Mail, Return Receipt plus a 2nd copy regular mail ... RIGHT?

That give you proof you mailed it on the date the Certified Mail was sent; regular mail so they can't say we didn't claim it.

Else ... back to the Post Office. You can google US Post Offices for where the nearest extended hours post office is nearby. I really MISS those several 24 hour/7day a week Post Offices which were within 10-20 minutes of my house. Nothing like an 11PM post office run ... so as to have a DAY EARLIER notice to some idiot who needed to be GONE!

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Your letter looks good, but did your paper work from the purchase include a form or any specific instructions to rescind? If not, use your letter and mail it certified, return receipt and express mail. I have not purchased with Westgate, so I am not familiar with their process. Hopefully, others will.

Beware that the sales staff may call you to try to convince you to continue with your purchase. It's best to not speak with them, but if you do, stick to your guns and don't change your mind.

Best regards.

Mike

Cody Bartlett

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your letter looks good, but did your paper work from the purchase include a form or any specific instructions to rescind? If not, use your letter and mail it certified, return receipt and express mail. I have not purchased with Westgate, so I am not familiar with their process. Hopefully, others will.

Beware that the sales staff may call you to try to convince you to continue with your purchase. It's best to not speak with them, but if you do, stick to your guns and don't change your mind.

Best regards.

Mike
The only instructions my paperwork gave was the adress and that I had 10 days to cancel it so I sent it certified mail along with the folder and tablet to the same adress but I didn't send it certified!!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that you're going to be fine. You don't say exactly, but it appears that you know that you are within the legal rescission time period (10 days from when you signed the contract) I also assume you sent it to the Ocoee, Florida address- not the resort. It is not important that you send the tablet and other promotional materials by any expensive method, only that you save the receipt that you mailed it in case they try to bill you for something you don't want.

Now that you've sent the rescission letter, it can take up to 45 days to credit your credit card if that's how you paid the down payment, AND they are not required to inform you of the progress of the rescission. Prepare to sweat a little. One way you'll know they got the letter and are working on it will be if the sales department calls and promises you more points, extra vacations, lower price, anything to get you to change your mind. Just don't answer any unknown phone numbers until after the 10 days has passed.

Congratulations for finding us and ducking out of Wastegate. Take a deep breath now.

Jim

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rescinded a Westgate Smokey Mountain purchase 2 years ago. I never heard one word from them- no letters, no calls, no emails, nothing. The only indication I got was the refund to my credit card, and still to this day i get 3rd party calls from people that want to help me get out of my Westagte time share. Jokes on them- I don't own a timeshare for you to help me get out of!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You said you sent it certified, then said you didn't send it certified. Did you ask for a return receipt? It's only a buck or two and well with the cost to get that little piece of paper back from the post office.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding TUG in time to rescind and save yourself a fortune!

Cody Bartlett

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I sent the letter certified but I sent the tablet and folder back separately and I didn't send it certified. But thanks for all the replies it sure is a good feeling we won't be tied down to Westgate forever!!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cody, we call 'em Wastegate, and if you hang here for a while, you will too.

Cody Bartlett

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cody, we call 'em Wastegate, and if you hang here for a while, you will too.
Well we for sure feel like a burden has been lifted since we found this forum and all of yalls input and knowledge has helped a lot thank!!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Timeshare is a wonderful product, but you can get quite a few really great timeshares for literally $0 buy-in cost. Or you can get something truly great on the resale market (Marriott, Hyatt, Disney, Hilton) for what you were going to pay for Westgate. Read and learn. I have learned so much from TUG, I am truly humbled by the help I have received here.

Cody Bartlett

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Timeshare is a wonderful product, but you can get quite a few really great timeshares for literally $0 buy-in cost. Or you can get something truly great on the resale market (Marriott, Hyatt, Disney, Hilton) for what you were going to pay for Westgate. Read and learn. I have learned so much from TUG, I am truly humbled by the help I have received here.
Yea we are starting to learn and I'm sure that there is still a lot more to learn!!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yea we are starting to learn and I'm sure that there is still a lot more to learn!!

And of course, there's the option that's usually mentioned to people in your boat...that of renting from current owners, especially if you are new to this or unsure. I'll bet ya' the sales people never mentioned that option to you or, if they did, told you that it would cost you an arm and a leg to do so and that you would have way fewer benefits, etc.

Anyway, there are a few advantages to that that you might want to look into before buying or even taking one for free.

Cody Bartlett

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And of course, there's the option that's usually mentioned to people in your boat...that of renting from current owners, especially if you are new to this or unsure. I'll bet ya' the sales people never mentioned that option to you or, if they did, told you that it would cost you an arm and a leg to do so and that you would have way fewer benefits, etc.

Anyway, there are a few advantages to that that you might want to look into before buying or even taking one for free.
Thanks for the info there is quite a few options to look into we are just glad to be out of this contract!