• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai in August - what's it like?

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I stayed at the Wyndham Ka 'Eo Kai in Princeville, Kauai, starting the third week of October a few years ago. There was no air conditioning and it was hot and muggy. I received many bug bites while on the lanai, and at an outdoor restaurant. I purchased an ammonia stick to apply to the bites and started using bug repellant. My wife naturally repels bugs over to me where they have many delicious meals. :)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In Kauai now for about our 12th visit in August. Trade winds are blowing and it's pleasant. Staying in Poipu and not using AC; plenty of breeze with the windows and lanai doors open. Ceiling fans are good to keep the air moving.

As usual, bugs where it's wet; little issue where it's dry. Got some bites in Allerton Garden yesterday, but once we got away from the stream at the bottom of the garden, not an issue.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
We are staying at the Hanalei Bay resort now and often stay here in august. The north shore beaches-tunnels & kee- are swimmable and wonderful in august. We hiked to the beach on the napalai/ kalalau trail yesterday and while a bit muggy it was still wonderful. The trail was fairly dry and not too slippery! The parking lots are very crowded so you have to get to places early and the restaurants can be crazy crowded but we usually eat at the resort.

profmdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm currently at The Point at Poipu (via exchange), and will be moving to my timeshare at Hanalei Bay Resort this afternoon. I agree with the previous comments--August can be pleasant, but with a few challenges. As noted, bugs are an issue in the wet areas, such as Allerton Garden (note: I went on their sunset/dinner tour--it was very good!). Crowds are not a huge issue, but there are times when there is pretty significant traffic, particularly around Kapaa; it's not like the mainland, and since you're in Hawaii, it's a great opportunity to chill.
I'm a solo 67 year-old traveler, and the humidity can be a problem. If the tradewinds are blowing (as they are now), it's not much of an issue; if not, however, it's probably best to limit activities to morning or evening. Regardless, A/C is, I believe, a necessity. I'm in an 'elbow' unit at The Point; the second bedroom is definitely uncomfortable, and the layout does not permit much of the cooler air to reach the room. Fortunately, there are both ceiling and desk fans, so it can be tolerable.
Fellow Tuggers--I saw an ad today for EOYO at the Westin Ocean Villas in Princeville; if you have any experience with the place, I'd like to hear about it. Mahalo!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I must say all of this is encouraging - we'll be in Kauai August 2018. But it sounds like we should pass on our usual pilgrimage to the Alakai swamp...;-)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The road into the Alakai Swamp trail head has been graded and graveled, and the bridges replaced with new concrete structures. As for the best time to go, you have to watch the current weather - if Waimea Canyon has been relatively dry for a few days, that's the time to go. I don't think the weather on the coast impacts this.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The road into the Alakai Swamp trail head has been graded and graveled, and the bridges replaced with new concrete structures. As for the best time to go, you have to watch the current weather - if Waimea Canyon has been relatively dry for a few days, that's the time to go. I don't think the weather on the coast impacts this.
We hiked the Alakai Swamp trail on Thursday. We started at the Kalalau lookout at the end of the road, and caught the swamp trail at Alakai crossing.

I have never seen better hiking conditions on the trail than we had that day. No mud. Zero. None. Nada. The rock face scrambles on the Pihea connector were completely dry. When we reached the lookout at the end of the trail it was completely clear. The view of Hanalei was spectacular. All but the tip of Waialeale was open. Our 4-yr old granddaughter hiked the whole thing without difficulty. Even DW thought it was OK (she normally hates the trail - because of the mud and scrambles).

We figure that we will probably never hike the trail again, since it could never be better than it was that day.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We were on Maui two years ago this month. The weather was dreadfully hot, and when we talked to some friends who stay on Kauai all summer, they said Kauai was just as bad, but the trade winds weren't blowing regularly that summer, and that was the cause of our stressful stay on Maui.

Our Hono Koa has no AC, and it was 98 degrees several days during that trip. I am over the hot flashes, being 62 now, and I was having them again that trip. My mother-in-law was even hot, and she was 87 at the time. You know it was hot, if Mom was warm.

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at the Ali'i Kai and it is wonderful. It's one o'clock and raining and very cool. We have been in Lihue for a week at the Kauai Lagoons and never used the air conditioning as we left the lanai doors open and enjoyed the cool breezes.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Kauai is beautiful all year round! Was there once in July and it was great. Stayed in Lihue and it only rained once. The trade winds help a lot with heat, as does the snorkeling.

taffy19

Reaction score
We hiked the Alakai Swamp trail on Thursday. We started at the Kalalau lookout at the end of the road, and caught the swamp trail at Alakai crossing.

I have never seen better hiking conditions on the trail than we had that day. No mud. Zero. None. Nada. The rock face scrambles on the Pihea connector were completely dry. When we reached the lookout at the end of the trail it was completely clear. The view of Hanalei was spectacular. All but the tip of Waialeale was open. Our 4-yr old granddaughter hiked the whole thing without difficulty. Even DW thought it was OK (she normally hates the trail - because of the mud and scrambles).

We figure that we will probably never hike the trail again, since it could never be better than it was that day.
Will you post some pictures, Steve, when you have time. The trade winds do make a difference and a dry trail without mud makes a hike much easier and then to have a perfect clear view at the end. Enjoy your vacation! :D