• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kona airport screening - take out food?

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flew out of Kona airport today to HNL and was asked during security screening if we had any food. Of course we had snacks, chips, chocolate, Mac nuts, etc. Was asked to pull it out of our bags to go through the machine.

Is this the standard procedure? I would have packed differently if I had known.

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the past (at least), seems that fresh food was the issue, not packaged food like chips, mac nuts, etc. Maybe things have changed?

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The Hawaiian airports, IMHO, have always presented a moving target for airport security and food inspections,at least as far as traveling between Hawaii and California. This past year I watched a woman purchase banana's in the Kona airport, only to have them taken away at the security checkpoint at the gate. Understandable as California protects it's crops from invasive fruit fly's known to Hawaii but not California. However it was the first time in Hawaii I had seen fruit bought at the airport confiscated.

One year we had one of our Pre-check's denied and had to go through the regular security line. At different times we've had sunblock allowed through and other times it passes thru without question. One island hopping trip they allowed the sun block in Kauai and but confiscated it on Oahu as we went back, ON THE SAME DAY (trip to visit Pearl Harbor).

I really don't mind so much as airport security always has changes but the airport security in Hawaii has always been a little more uptight for us than everywhere else except Kansas City. I don't know what it is about us flying out of Kansas City but, every time we do we always seem to get he full treatment, as if we had shouted Allahu Akbar as we entered the airport.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I've never taken food on any inter-island flights. The only problem we've ever had was with some bananas that we didn't realize we couldn't take with us on a flight back to the mainland. I do remember one year getting some sandwiches made to take on the plane with us and making sure they didn't put any lettuce or tomato on them.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
For mid-trip inter-island flights I've been thinking about trying Mokulele just to bypass the whole security hassle and crowds scene, as they use the commuter airports. Small plan experience can be pretty neat also.

https://www.mokuleleairlines.com/the-mokulele-experience/
We just flew on Mokulele to Maui from Kona for a few days (to visit TUG friends Ian and Anne!!) and it was GREAT! No restriction as to foods/fruits taken! No security check at all, just weight and size baggage requirement. Super nice staff. nice slow plane close to all the sights, so we saw so much of each island.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
My son lost his fruit while boarding an inter-island flight because the flight was continuing on to the mainland. He was very sad about it.

Sheila

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We just flew out of Kona last Saturday. For such a small airport they manage to do things at glacial speed. It took us 30 minutes to get a bag tag and put our checked bag on the conveyor belt for the AG inspection. Precheck helped us through the security line but it still took about another 15 - 20 min. I didn't see anyone have to remove food from their checked bags while we were there, but according to this flyertalk thread, it's a new thing. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chec...m-re-food.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anyone have to remove food from their checked bags while we were there, but according to this flyertalk thread, it's a new thing. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chec...m-re-food.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=

Thanks for the link! I was starting to think it was just us.

It was a very odd experience. When I opened the carry-on luggage to take out the food, the agent saw the package of baby wipes and told me to take that out too. :shrug: Hmm...whatever will keep us safer, I guess....