• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar [Merged]

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
Is Uber or Lyft an option in Cancun?

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
i think i'm just going to end up renting a car and driving down from the Hotel to Xel-Ha. To rent its only $25 for the day and it's about 100km to get to the park, straight down 1 highway.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think i'm just going to end up renting a car and driving down from the Hotel to Xel-Ha. To rent its only $25 for the day and it's about 100km to get to the park, straight down 1 highway.
That's my plan. Minivan for 7. Let you know how it goes in early Feb.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Uber definitely not. We saw many signs stating Uber was illegal. No idea about Lyft.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Sometime fairly recently, it seems Uber has come to Cancun. Though it doesn't sound like it is all a bunch of roses. Seems that taxis harass the Uber drivers and Uber drivers always call to verify that it is a legitimate request since they get a lot of fake ones from taxi drivers. There is more information here.

From the airport I would stick to one of the transfer companies since it also seems that sometimes Uber drivers are blocked trying to access the airport arrivals.

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometime fairly recently, it seems Uber has come to Cancun. Though it doesn't sound like it is all a bunch of roses. Seems that taxis harass the Uber drivers and Uber drivers always call to verify that it is a legitimate request since they get a lot of fake ones from taxi drivers. There is more information here.

From the airport I would stick to one of the transfer companies since it also seems that sometimes Uber drivers are blocked trying to access the airport arrivals.
This has been the same story in the whole country. But, Uber is legal. I have used them in other cities.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Does the $25 include the mandatory third party liability insurance that is required in Mexico? This isn't covered by your auto policy or credit card CDW..

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the $25 include the mandatory third party liability insurance that is required in Mexico? This isn't covered by your auto policy or credit card CDW..
Probably. Rental in Cancun is cheap. Americans seem concerned to do it. Admittedly I felt that way on the first trip in 2013. Rented for 48 hours on second trip in 2015 and this time for 4 days XCaret and Chichin Itza trips planned and likely a day off resort further south down the coast.

I have a town and country with inclusive liability insurance for 207 plus 48 taxes and fees for four days through Avis.

That's hotel zone. Pick up at airport and cut that in half.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I just looked at car rentals for our trip. For a single day rental pickup at La Isla from Avis, it is about $45 for an intermediate. I don't know how to tell if that includes mandatory insurance, but I don't see it as a separate line item. We could possibly consider this for our trip to Tulum over the ADO Bus.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV

Why isn't our cc or insurances covered for Mexico?

I used American car rental for the cheapest rate.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Why isn't our cc or insurances covered for Mexico?

I used American car rental for the cheapest rate.
Your credit card will cover CDW/Collision, but it won't provide coverage for the mandatory third party liability.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took a coach from the main bus terminal in Cancun to Playa del Carmen for approx 6 bucks USD return.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We took a coach from the main bus terminal in Cancun to Playa del Carmen for approx 6 bucks USD return.

You can do the same to Xcarat or Xplore. We took it all the way to Tulum. Cost was about $110 Peso each way. I can't tell how much it is now because the ADO Bus website is now horrible.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score

I stand corrected, I was pretty sure uber wasn't allowed but some further research now states I'm incorrect. I guess the signage was fear mongering and not legit.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Your credit card will cover CDW/Collision, but it won't provide coverage for the mandatory third party liability.

Do you know the value of that? I should call back tomorrow to find out.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can do the same to Xcarat or Xplore. We took it all the way to Tulum. Cost was about $110 Peso each way. I can't tell how much it is now because the ADO Bus website is now horrible.

Times 7 people so $42 further one of them is 3 and two are over 70 so add waiting time frustrations, door to door delivery and kid junk and I'll take that as a wash.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was our first vacation we didn't rent a car, and honestly we didn't miss it. The transportation was cheap and really easy to get around.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
Times 7 people so $38 further one of them is 3 so add waiting time and kid junk and I'll take that as a wash.
If travelling in a group the renting option is most likely the best.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Times 7 people so $42 further one of them is 3 and two are over 70 so add waiting time frustrations, door to door delivery and kid junk and I'll take that as a wash.
With 7 people, I would probably take the rental too. Too much hassle getting everyone up to the ADO Bus station and then dealing with the bus. Rental seems easiest.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Do you know the value of that? I should call back tomorrow to find out.
If you call, let us know how much that additional insurance would be for the day. I am interested to know. I did some reading here, and it seems that basic personal liability is included with the rate. So there may not be anything more needed. But basic liability doesn't seem to cover much.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you call, let us know how much that additional insurance would be for the day. I am interested to know. I did some reading here, and it seems that basic personal liability is included with the rate. So there may not be anything more needed. But basic liability doesn't seem to cover much.
It covers the required piece that US credit cards don't have. US cards provide coverage where that runs out.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It covers the required piece that US credit cards don't have. US cards provide coverage where that runs out.
US cards don't usually provide any kind of liability coversage, just CDW. The basic liabilty does cover what the US cards don't. I have read that it doesn't usually cover loss of wages. Though with wages as low as they are in Mexico, usually one doesn't have to pay much to cover this. The one worry is the guilty until proven innocent issue if there is an accident and my lack of fluent Spanish.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
i just booked a car through orbitz and it was $3/day liability included. might be a computer error but all the cars were very cheap. we prefer a car to move around the coastline and have found it to be easy with nice roads. i have additional insurance coverage through the amex program and parking is free at lagunamar so we are headed there next week for the first time. we usually stay in akumal which has a very nice fresh water lagoon that is cheap and nice so we will at least be able to drive down there

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV

So i called, the $25 car is $40.70 per day. That includes tax and basic liability. Not sure if they were trying to up the price on me or not, but to me to spend $40 for a rental isn't to bad.

but i'm back on the webpage that i saw it for $25Cad. It shows that it includes unlimited miles, Primary liability and local taxes. So i guess booking it off a website is cheaper then calling in.

Last edited: