• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar [Merged]

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you bank your weeks with Lagunamar? I think I read that you can't?

I thought this was a given but I don't know what I don't know, lol.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Bank where. It's a voluntary resort so a resale buyer can't participate in the vista's vacation network.

They can be banked into interval though.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bank where. It's a voluntary resort so a resale buyer can't participate in the vista's vacation network.

They can be banked into interval though.

Sorry I guess I didn't explain myself well.

We had a timeshare with Westgate and you could "bank" them for up to 2 years if you didn't want to use them in the calendar year. There was a fee for then making the new reservation with a banked week.

I understand that a resale would not allow us to use time from Lagunamar anywhere else (without using interval) but if we couldn't use our week could we "bank" it and use it the next year?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can bank (deposit) them in to Interval Internatyional. The deposit is good for two years beyond the checkin date. There is no internal exchange system here. I don't know if that is what Westgate has or if they are just using II too.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry I guess I didn't explain myself well.

We had a timeshare with Westgate and you could "bank" them for up to 2 years if you didn't want to use them in the calendar year. There was a fee for then making the new reservation with a banked week.

I understand that a resale would not allow us to use time from Lagunamar anywhere else (without using interval) but if we couldn't use our week could we "bank" it and use it the next year?
There is a sticky at the top that talks about this.

If you are a resale voluntary and can't use you rent it out or bank in interval.

If you are a mandatory you bank the points that the week is equal and then have 3 years to use them at 8 months not the 12 month resort owner owned year window.

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can bank (deposit) them in to Interval Internatyional. The deposit is good for two years beyond the checkin date. There is no internal exchange system here. I don't know if that is what Westgate has or if they are just using II too.
Westgate uses their own internal system for banking.

Just trying to get all information before committing to purchase.

Thanks for the help and patience.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Does anyone know the days that they hold the special themed buffets at Oceano and their prices? Perhaps we could crowd source this information. Here is all I know or think I know from experience and reading other posts

Breakfast - Daily $400
Mexican Fiesta Buffet - Monday $400
Steak Night - Wednesday $600
Asian Night - Friday $400

I will come back and update with confirmed information or re-post if after the 48 hour edit deadline.

Last edited:

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
When we were there last November, the Italian night was eliminated. I can't recall the pricing, we didn't participate in any that trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the days that they hold the special themed buffets at Oceano and their prices? Perhaps we could crowd source this information. Here is all I know or think I know from experience and reading other posts

Breakfast - Daily $280
Mexican Fiesta Buffet - Mondays $400
Italian Night - DDDD $???
Steak Night - DDDD $800

I will come back and update with confirmed information or re-post if after the 48 hour edit deadline.
I'll look up the prices and get back to you. This is the current 'nights' as of yesterday check in.

1224461b06c9a668d9ad2178bcc89e9d.jpg

3250c5deb52e3aadb28c9f05153b7d68.jpg

988f95364d79443e015ff962b7c0e03e.jpg

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'll look up the prices and get back to you. This is the current 'nights' as of yesterday check in.
Awesome, Thanks. I think I have captured the prices, but would prefer confirmation from someone on the ground:D

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)

Breakfast - Daily $400
Mexican Fiesta Buffet - Monday $400
Steak Night - Wednesday $600
Asian Night - Friday $400

Owners get a 20% discount on the breakfast buffets (also on a la carte dining...except for drinks). My understanding is that there are no discounts for the theme nights. FWIW, the pricing shown is in Pesos, not $US.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Owners get a 20% discount on the breakfast buffets (also on a la carte dining...except for drinks). My understanding is that there are no discounts for the theme nights. FWIW, the pricing shown is in Pesos, not $US.
Does the discount apply to only Lagunamar owners? I recall being given a discount card by the concierge on both of our prior visits as exchgers and not even Vistana owners. We always used it at Duna and Viento. It was pointed out to us in the past that it didn't apply to the evening themed nights, but it seems we qualified even though we weren't owners, but were staying on owner weeks (via exchange). Perhaps the discount doesn't apply to those staying on cash stays?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does the discount apply to only Lagunamar owners? I recall being given a discount card by the concierge on both of our prior visits as exchgers and not even Vistana owners. We always used it at Duna and Viento. It was pointed out to us in the past that it didn't apply to the evening themed nights, but it seems we qualified even though we weren't owners, but were staying on owner weeks (via exchange). Perhaps the discount doesn't apply to those staying on cash stays?
We own at WKV and get the discount.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
A few last minute questions before we leave in a week==type of coffee maker==I plan to bring coffee already in a filter. How long is the drive to the resort--I plan to reserve one of the recommended ones on here. Is there a little store on site to buy like cream? Due to my husbands illness not sure he can even walk daily over to the mall for dinner--are there enough options at the resort. Thanks everyone for your help!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
A few last minute questions before we leave in a week==type of coffee maker==I plan to bring coffee already in a filter. How long is the drive to the resort--I plan to reserve one of the recommended ones on here. Is there a little store on site to buy like cream? Due to my husbands illness not sure he can even walk daily over to the mall for dinner--are there enough options at the resort. Thanks everyone for your help!

The machine had a flat filter base and a reusable filter if not using their coffee packs. The resort provides two coffee things decaf and caf for day one.

Drive to resort is about 20 km 20 mins.

Little store with ice cream and all the basics. Carbs, pasta, rice - Fruit and Vegetables and Meats eggs sauces. Pretty well stocked these days.

Also inflatables, booze, mixers, branded clothing.

Resort has enough options for dinner. There is a post a few above on the restaurant theme nights that vary the evening menu. Main restaurant is in building 7 base.

Also pool bar and restaurant (at the two different pools) and sports bar (building 11). You can eat on resort with enough variety. But I would recommend getting off resort a few times though.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm here until Sunday. Any questions.

No I'm not taking a update

The owner gift is a bag that is grey for owner and purple for elite owner. Amazed at the number of purple bags keeping the Vistana cashflow humming.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I'm here until Sunday. Any questions.

No I'm not taking a update

The owner gift is a bag that is grey for owner and purple for elite owner. Amazed at the number of purple bags keeping the Vistana cashflow humming.

Hi smharmon,
What bldg were you assigned? And is resort full up? Just curious as I have star options reservation in March...Tho any bldg will be fine.

Did you drive to Chichen Itza? We will have 4 in our group, so theoretically a car makes sense, but not based on what I've read about the roads and other drivers.

Until VSE changes the levels, DH and I are lowly 3* from requalification. And some might have been grandfathered in when Starwood bought their resorts. So I,'m not as surprised at the #of purple bags representing old past income rather than new income to VSE. Probably part of the reason they're instituting new fees :mad:

Anyway, hope you have a great time for remainder of your stay there, and few hassles at the airports . ;)

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi smharmon,
What bldg were you assigned? And is resort full up? Just curious as I have star options reservation in March...Tho any bldg will be fine.

Did you drive to Chichen Itza? We will have 4 in our group, so theoretically a car makes sense, but not based on what I've read about the roads and other drivers.

Until VSE changes the levels, DH and I are lowly 3* from requalification. And some might have been grandfathered in when Starwood bought their resorts. So I,'m not as surprised at the #of purple bags representing old past income rather than new income to VSE. Probably part of the reason they're instituting new fees :mad:

Anyway, hope you have a great time for remainder of your stay there, and few hassles at the airports . ;)

We asked for building 9 high floor. They said they cannot guarantee either. We got building 9 floor 3. It's above the tree line so we are happy with how our request panned out.

I've never been here in school holidays. Someday it feels full others not.

I drove to Chichin Itza. Will make a full post on that on my return but Google maps nav is great and I'd say go for it.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Another question==as owners at Harborside we are used to gratuity and now VAT being added to every bill. Does gratuity get added to everything and if not what is the custom in Mexico for tips.

elleny76

Reaction score
Another question==as owners at Harborside we are used to gratuity and now VAT being added to every bill. Does gratuity get added to everything and if not what is the custom in Mexico for tips.
We just went the first week of January and we gave tips to the employee directly. I don't remember being added to the bill but I didn't really check. We tip $10 to our bartender/waiter at the end of the day while in the pool for drinks/snacks. $1 to the guys out front helping with taxis. $1 tip for each taxi we got. We used dollars all the time. We brought $300 all in $10-$1. We never changed to pesos. We love Lagunamar!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The price on the menu is the price on the bill as presented.

That said remember your 20% off food card from the concierge.

There is room for the tip on the room charge check. I've been adding 15%

Vat like Europe is baked in to the presented price. Not the tax approach of America and the Bahamas

Pesos are more helpful outside the resort. Paying in dollars cash gets a bad exchange rate. Tipping is preferred in Peso for the same reason. They get the same rate. Possible worse due to small denominations.

You give them a dollar. Think they got 20-21 Peso. They actually get 18-19.

For those that search for fee free atm and are cautious with spending that's quite a haircut.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Prices at the on-site store are high...higher than they need to be, in my opinion. Overall, expect to pay on the order of twice what you would at Soriana or La Europea (some things more, a few a bit less than twice). Bottled water, as I recall was more that 3 times as high, and the wine and liquor prices were scary. We bring a backpack as a carry-on and use it to lug things back from Soriana or Chedraui. I have seen folks take their roll-ons to the store and use them to trundle things home with. Your portal to portal time to Soriana is about 10 minutes. For Chedraui (bigger store, a bit cheaper pricing than Soriana), you need to take the bus. For those buying liquor or wine, Sunday seems to be discount day at Soriana...at least in January. Oh, yes...for those who wish to use a bank ATM, there is a Santander Bank with 2 ATMs just behind the left rear corner of Kukulcan Plaza. ATM fees were less than $1.50 in January.

blondietink

Reaction score
We used the little free standing exchange store in the La Isla mall to exchange money. Seemed to have the best exchange rate of anybody. Also please remember that the grocery store baggers do not get paid by the store, they work for tips only. There is also a liquor store across the road south of the La Isla mall.

mariawolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside
Frenchman’s Cove
Thanks--since it is just the two of us on this trip plan to just bring some cereal for breakfast, coffee and snack bars so will mostly eat there or across street. Do we need to ask for that discount coupon==please tell me we don't have to do owners update to get it==or is it automatic? Again thanks for all the responses as we haven't been to Cancun in probably 20+ years--pretty sure it was before we bought at Harborside 16 years ago~

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We received our resort discount card at check in. We received a discount coupon for restaurants in the mall, from our concierge meeting. (Never did an update.) Asked the concierge desk for more coupons when we used up the one we were given initially.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks--since it is just the two of us on this trip plan to just bring some cereal for breakfast, coffee and snack bars so will mostly eat there or across street. Do we need to ask for that discount coupon==please tell me we don't have to do owners update to get it==or is it automatic? Again thanks for all the responses as we haven't been to Cancun in probably 20+ years--pretty sure it was before we bought at Harborside 16 years ago~
You need to say hi to concierge but no need for an owner update.