• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Las vegas Boulevard or strip combining 5000 point parcels

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
Has anyone heard about combining two 5000 point gold weeks at Las Vegas Strip into one 10,000 point package. Is that possible?

thanks in advance.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
It sounds to me that you are just talking about two different deeds (or weeks) at the same location. Of course that is possible. I actually have this. This can be done either on the same contract or different contracts. You will still have two inventory activation fees for your two weeks.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Has anyone heard about combining two 5000 point gold weeks at Las Vegas Strip into one 10,000 point package. Is that possible?

thanks in advance.

That depends on what you mean by combining the two. There are no single weeks worth 10,00 points at the LV strip locations.

If you purchase a second 5000 point week, you will end up with 10,000 points in your account every year. However you will also have an additional maintenance fee. Not sure if you originally purchased direct or via resale, HGVC will often offer to accept your week back as a trade in towards a larger purchase. That could get you a single MF, but the up-front purchase price would almost certainly be much higher than going with a resale purchase.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard of "combined contracts" for sale on Ebay. The only way to have combined contracts is to trade in one to the developer and buy a higher point package. Or, as stated above, there are 2 different contracts which have 2 different MFs and taxes, but the points can be combined into one HGVC account. You can have many resorts and many weeks combined into a single HGVC account but you will always pay many MFs and taxes.

I think the "combined contract" thing is probably some slick lingo used by a timeshare salesperson that someone still believes is a thing and they are trying to sell it as that. It's not a thing.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Two 5000 point - Gold season weeks looks like a 2 Bd which should be MFs of $821.83/week = $1643.66/total. ($0.164/pt)

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
Resale.
Yeah was quoted $1644 total annual fees.
Was quoted two $560 Activation HGVC fees but only one HGVC $399 Transfer fee and one closing fee

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Closing fee was quoted at $460 and sales price $3500 per 5000 point package

It looks to me like annual fees of $821 per 5000 points is average or not great and not the worst. Is that true?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Good because everything looks consistent. I think that your MFs would be high. I am not sure what you are trying to do. If you are just wanting points, then this might not be the best deal. If you want to use this property/unit/season, then it may be great.

Generally speaking, the lower the buy-in price, the higher the annual dues, and visa versa.

At first, I wasn't sure if I agree with this quote from DazedandConfused. But it does have some merit.

User baf99 developed a tool to compare value of various properties. I thought that is was pretty neat. (http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-cost-comparison.242429/). You could use the tool to see which property was better in terms of cost assuming you are only evaluating points.

I ran a test case with comparison to 1-Bd platinum unit at the Strip (of course a 1-Bd Plus would be idea but I haven't seen one lately). The cost was that listed and I just added together. Here are the results from the tool provided by baf99:

Test case comparison between Strip 1-Bd Platinum and 2-Bd Gold.png

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would like to find that 9600 point package for $9500 with annual fees of $1188.96

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I will send you a PM. I found it from one of the trusted realtors on this site.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Other factors include investing the saved purchase money at 3 or 4%. 3% for $2500 initial sales price savings is $75/year. Verizon and other big stocks even pay up to 5% dividend which would be $125/year but of course that is taxable. Would also have to account for compound earnings on that $2500 investment and any capital gains or losses. Over 20 years that $2500 could double or quadruple or more if invest in aggressive growth stocks - and over 30 or 40 years could go up 10 times. I am 64 years old and the biggest investment mistakes I have made is not investing and holding in stocks when I was in my 20's and 30's etc. and to a lesser extent not buying more rental property.
If property taxes on timeshare are higher that deduction may be worth more on schedule A if itemize thus more savings.

9600 versus 10,000 points is 4% less points which is another factor tightening up the spread sheet.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Other factors include investing the saved purchase money at 3 or 4%. 3% for $2500 initial sales price savings is $75/year. Verizon and other big stocks even pay up to 5% dividend which would be $125/year but of course that is taxable. Would also have to account for compound earnings on that $2500 investment and any capital gains or losses. Over 20 years that $2500 could double or quadruple or more if invest in aggressive growth stocks - and over 30 or 40 years could go up 10 times. I am 64 years old and the biggest investment mistakes I have made is not investing and holding in stocks when I was in my 20's and 30's etc. and to a lesser extent not buying more rental property.
If property taxes on timeshare are higher that deduction may be worth more on schedule A if itemize thus more savings.

I used to think about it this way, and factor in the lost capital gains/income on the money spent on a timeshare, but a number of conversations over the years here on TUG changed my perspective. The money you spend on timeshare should not be the money you have invested for the future. We don't look at the 10 year or 20 year lost investment gains when we spend $30,000 or more on a car; we don't factor in lost investment gains on the $10,000 used to go on a luxury cruise. I've come to believe you should look at timeshare the same way. The money you spend on timeshare should not be the money you invest for capital growth or need for retirement. It's the money you would otherwise spend on vacations or other discretionary or luxury purposes.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was talking about buying a cheaper timeshare with higher annual fees and concluding that lower annual fees may not actually be the cheaper way to buy over the long haul if you overpay up front and consider all factors including investing upfront savings by buying lower. Alternatively Resale of lower annual fee units is better too. Timeshares are not investments I agee. No way are they investments. But they are great way to vacation when buying quality name on resale market.
I agee with what you say about buying cars and vacation. I'm talking about buying cheap cheap and make some sort of balancing compromise on annual fees and then renivesting the upfront money saved by buying cheaper unit with more annual fees.

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The cost for 9600 hilton points to pass right of first refusal is probably going to be closer to 12k to 15k at strip property if you can find one - so the spread sheet in my opinion does not reflect current market. Maybe the prices will drop during next economic slowdown.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I' ve seen those two week deeds for 10,000 points sold on eBay and Judi Koz had one also. Apparently they were bundled and sold by HGVC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
At first, I wasn't sure if I agree with this quote from DazedandConfused. But it does have some merit.

Glad to help out....it is just an observation of mine that I had while shopping for a HGVC contract that is not supported by scientific data analysis,

Generally speaking, the lower the buy-in price, the higher the annual dues, and visa versa.

That is why I bought at both Kings Land and Las Vegas strip locations as the average of the two is better than either one individually when looking at buy-in price and annual dues.

Oceans82

Reaction score
Good because everything looks consistent. I think that your MFs would be high. I am not sure what you are trying to do. If you are just wanting points, then this might not be the best deal. If you want to use this property/unit/season, then it may be great.

I ran a test case with comparison to 1-Bd platinum unit at the Strip (of course a 1-Bd Plus would be idea but I haven't seen one lately). The cost was that listed and I just added together. Here are the results from the tool provided by baf99:

View attachment 3790
This is a great to to see how different variables affect the future dollars spent.
Is this something that can be emailed?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo