• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Latest debacle from the "exciting new website"

buckor

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no teaser rate. Expect it to be closer to the newer high points resorts than the legacy resorts.. And talking about Beach resorts; Panama City Beach (another Gulf Coast, mixed use property) is one of the lower mf rate resorts in the system.
PCB has such a low MF because of the distress the developer was in at the time Wyndham stepped in. The developer was selling Tower 2 (the tower the walkway from the parking garage goes to) and sold Wyndham Tower 3 (the tower to the right as you are looking from the parking garage). In exchange for Wyndham stepping in and buying Tower 3 they negotiated a HUGE deal with MFs. Tower 2 owners pay approximately 85% of Tower 2 and Tower 3 MFs for the entire property. Therefore, Wyndham owners are only left paying 15% of the MFs for the property (plus taxes, reserves, insurance, etc). This is why the MFs there are so low.

This is the other reason why Tower 1 has yet to be built. Wyndham would like to have it developed but the developer is not willing to cut any slack on MFs for the new tower and, as a matter of fact, wants to renegotiate the deal for the other two towers if/when Tower 1 gets built and Wyndham participates. Wyndham does NOT want to renegotiate because they got a great deal when the real estate markets fell apart and they bought Tower 3. So, Tower 1 stands as only some foundation work and the building is missing its second pool, etc.

Yes, PCB has very low MFs due to good timing and negotiations on Wyndham's part when they bought Tower 3, not because MFs are typically low for these beach resorts. Another factor that plays in here is the cost of a week. More points means the MFs get to be spread across more people keeping the MFs appearing low when, in fact, the points required, and the associated MFs, is quite expensive. Think Emerald Grand in Destin...super expensive from a points perspective (though Wyndham got a very similar deal as PCB when they bought their roughly 40% of that resort, too).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
I'm having points issues as well. I'm missing 182,000 points. I've called twice, waiting on hold 2 hours the first time, 1 hour the second.

On the first call, they said they would audit my account. After 9 days, I called back. After talking with the first guy, I was put on hold for another hour for Owner Care. That didn't help much. One thing he did say was he agreed I'm missing 182,000 points. Looks like it had something to do with adjusting my use year.

I see past point history that took 182,000 points out of use year Oct 2017 - Sep 2018. There is a positive point adjustment of 182,000 into use year May 2017 - Sep 2018 (which makes no sense because my new use year on all contracts was changed to Jan - Dec). The problem is, the positive point adjustment doesn't show up ANYWHERE. Not in a future use year or any of my 6 current use years (I only had 2 use years before the transition).

I'm ready to go irate with them the next time I call. I can't believe they won't fix these things. They obviously know it is wrong, agree there are points missing, why can't they just put them back? I have some vacations to plan in 2018 and I'm afraid if I don't get them booked 10 months out, I may lose the chance to do so.

My patience has evaporated. Time to get out the flame thrower!

I have 4 use years listed under my current use year in the new system.
1 of them is a remnant of an old empty Credit pool.
1 is my empty regular use year for this year which I put in the Credit Poll in back in Aug. 2016.
1 is my Credit pool dated Aug 17,2016 - Aug 17, 2019 with 490,750 point
1 is one they created during the change back in May dated May 20, 2017 - Aug 17,2019 with 2250 points.

I had 493,000 points in the Credit Pool in the old system and I guess 2250 got lost when they made the move so they just created a new current use year and put the 2250 there. I plan so spend it all in a couple of months on a Hawaii vacation in summer 2018. I was planning to move the 2019 point into the credit pool and use those points too....but those hopes are dashed.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Any suggestions on how to get the date calendar selector let you pick the check out date. This is on a Modify Search.

I pick the check in date and it starts a search without letting me select the check out date.

Only way I can get it to work is to go to another screen like my ownership and START a FRESH SEARCH EACH BLOODY TIME. It only lets me search once then it craps out.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Any suggestions on how to get the date calendar selector let you pick the check out date. This is on a Modify Search.

I pick the check in date and it starts a search without letting me select the check out date.

Only way I can get it to work is to go to another screen like my ownership and START a FRESH SEARCH EACH BLOODY TIME. It only lets me search once then it craps out.

I just toggle the resort name, by typing a few characters, and repicking the same resort from the list. Then the SEARCH button will become enabled again. Still broken, but saves a little time.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
PCB has such a low MF because of the distress the developer was in at the time Wyndham stepped in. The developer was selling Tower 2 (the tower the walkway from the parking garage goes to) and sold Wyndham Tower 3 (the tower to the right as you are looking from the parking garage). In exchange for Wyndham stepping in and buying Tower 3 they negotiated a HUGE deal with MFs. Tower 2 owners pay approximately 85% of Tower 2 and Tower 3 MFs for the entire property. Therefore, Wyndham owners are only left paying 15% of the MFs for the property (plus taxes, reserves, insurance, etc). This is why the MFs there are so low.

This is the other reason why Tower 1 has yet to be built. Wyndham would like to have it developed but the developer is not willing to cut any slack on MFs for the new tower and, as a matter of fact, wants to renegotiate the deal for the other two towers if/when Tower 1 gets built and Wyndham participates. Wyndham does NOT want to renegotiate because they got a great deal when the real estate markets fell apart and they bought Tower 3. So, Tower 1 stands as only some foundation work and the building is missing its second pool, etc.

Yes, PCB has very low MFs due to good timing and negotiations on Wyndham's part when they bought Tower 3, not because MFs are typically low for these beach resorts. Another factor that plays in here is the cost of a week. More points means the MFs get to be spread across more people keeping the MFs appearing low when, in fact, the points required, and the associated MFs, is quite expensive. Think Emerald Grand in Destin...super expensive from a points perspective (though Wyndham got a very similar deal as PCB when they bought their roughly 40% of that resort, too).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

agreed the maintenance fees here aren't low at all. And Wyndham dosent subsidize or offer teaser rates

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm having points issues as well. I'm missing 182,000 points. I've called twice, waiting on hold 2 hours the first time, 1 hour the second.

On the first call, they said they would audit my account. After 9 days, I called back. After talking with the first guy, I was put on hold for another hour for Owner Care. That didn't help much. One thing he did say was he agreed I'm missing 182,000 points. Looks like it had something to do with adjusting my use year.

I see past point history that took 182,000 points out of use year Oct 2017 - Sep 2018. There is a positive point adjustment of 182,000 into use year May 2017 - Sep 2018 (which makes no sense because my new use year on all contracts was changed to Jan - Dec). The problem is, the positive point adjustment doesn't show up ANYWHERE. Not in a future use year or any of my 6 current use years (I only had 2 use years before the transition).

I'm ready to go irate with them the next time I call. I can't believe they won't fix these things. They obviously know it is wrong, agree there are points missing, why can't they just put them back? I have some vacations to plan in 2018 and I'm afraid if I don't get them booked 10 months out, I may lose the chance to do so.

My patience has evaporated. Time to get out the flame thrower!

Believe me you won't be the only one using a flame thrower. Just remember the person on the other end of the line didn't create the problem that you are both trying to solve. So while it might make you feel better to throw a fit, it isn't likely to help get your problem solved any faster, unfortunately.

Good luck, I hope you get it straightened out in time to make the reservations you want.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I just toggle the resort name, by typing a few characters, and repicking the same resort from the list. Then the SEARCH button will become enabled again. Still broken, but saves a little time.

I know that, but it is the selection of dates that is the issue. It will only let me pick one and then it starts off with the circle that shows it is processing. But I have't given it a check out date yet. I have cleared the dates first, but that doesn't work either. Gurrrrrrr

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
I know that, but it is the selection of dates that is the issue. It will only let me pick one and then it starts off with the circle that shows it is processing. But I have't given it a check out date yet. I have cleared the dates first, but that doesn't work either. Gurrrrrrr

I may be wrong but it seems things are getting worse instead of better. I couldn't make a reservation at Clearwater yesterday using Chrome. I would get that damn circle chasing itself ( dog chasing tail comes to mind) and it would go right back to the Traveler Information tab. Click "next" and same thing. It did manage to clunk thru using Internet Explorer. Try a different browser.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
HOAs are almost always non profits. Fees therefore cannot be a profit center

I know I sound like a broken record on this (does anyone remember what a record is)
The relationship between maintenance fees and the maintenance fee rate depends on the points allocation. Most of us don't take the time to calculate the maintenance fees, rather we stop with the rate
You can have high fees and a low fee rate or the opposite, depending on the points allocation

OKay, I need to rephrase that after thinking about it. I think most all of Clearwater is going into CWA. The reason is to offset a lot of the high MF rate contracts that Ovation is bringing in. By making the point requirements so high at Clearwater it lowers the effective MF rate. You want to talk about subsidizing MF rates here is the perfect example. I think, after looking around at the place the actual MF rate has to be no more than $3.25-3.50/ 1000 pts. There just isn't a lot of maintenance to do at this point. Virtually no grass to cut, or vegetation to care for. Everything is new and it's a SMALL resort. I would estimate 125-150 units total in one building. So, by taking all those low MF Clearwater points and putting them in CWA (at $6/1000) there is your subsidy as they even out all those $8/9/10 per 1000 pt. Ovation contracts.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
OKay, I need to rephrase that after thinking about it. I think most all of Clearwater is going into CWA. The reason is to offset a lot of the high MF rate contracts that Ovation is bringing in. By making the point requirements so high at Clearwater it lowers the effective MF rate. You want to talk about subsidizing MF rates here is the perfect example. I think, after looking around at the place the actual MF rate has to be no more than $3.25-3.50/ 1000 pts. There just isn't a lot of maintenance to do at this point. Virtually no grass to cut, or vegetation to care for. Everything is new and it's a SMALL resort. I would estimate 125-150 units total in one building. So, by taking all those low MF Clearwater points and putting them in CWA (at $6/1000) there is your subsidy as they even out all those $8/9/10 per 1000 pt. Ovation contracts.

None of that makes the case for Wyndham subsidizing the maintenance fees.

cayman01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bali Hai, Shearwater
None of that makes the case for Wyndham subsidizing the maintenance fees.

Never said anything about Wyndham subsidizing fees. In this case it is the owners doing the subsidizing by paying more in MF's than they should. You buy a straight Clearwater contract (if you can) my bet is that MF rate is a lot lower than CWA . The difference between the two is the subsidy.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never said anything about Wyndham subsidizing fees. In this case it is the owners doing the subsidizing by paying more in MF's than they should. You buy a straight Clearwater contract (if you can) my bet is that MF rate is a lot lower than CWA . The difference between the two is the subsidy.
This tangent about maintenance fees started with someone suggesting that the maintenance fee rate at newer resorts started with a "teaser" rate

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No communication back yet from the Owner services department regarding that issue that led me to first post this thread. But, the room I was wanting to reserve is now gone. . . irritated beyond belief. Why don't they allow the VCs to override some of the known issues? My VC told me she was not allowed to book this room for me, even though she could clearly see the issue. Does Wyndham truly not value its owners? Or are they just inept?

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score

This idea that there is a subsidy defies logic.

If cwa mf is about average for all resorts, because there are some resorts way above cwa, then there must be some resorts below average.

The reason Panama City, National Harbor, Midtown, Clearwater mf is low is because more points are assigned per unit-week. It takes about 40-60% more points to book a unit for a week.
Therefore the mf (quanity of points x cost per point) can be about the same for a full week in all resorts.