TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Marriot Aruba lockoff question

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by elleny76, Sep 13, 2017.

1. elleny76

elleny76 Guest

Hi, If I buy a 2 bed lockoff in Aruba. Can I pay the $80 to Marriott to unlock as 1 bed + 1 studio and then book 2 weeks separate in Aruba ? or how this work?

2.) If I buy in vegas 3 bed lockoff PLATINUM and pay marriott to separate 2 bed +1 bed. Can I trade in II for Aruba surf Platinum weeks?

thanks

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. bazzap

bazzap TUG Member

You can just lock off your 2 Bed unit into the 1 Bed Master suite and Studio Guest suite and book these for consecutive weeks.
    (EDITED - yes, I have had the Corporate Interval membership so long now, I forgot that you still have to pay lock off fees otherwise)
    If you wanted to try for a 1 Bed for both weeks, you would need to exchange the Studio through Interval and pay both exchange and upgrade fees.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    elleny76 likes this.
  3. Dean

Dean TUG Member

Maybe I'm missing something or behind. It was my understanding that a weeks owner not in the Destination program still had a fee to lockoff even if using both sides themselves.

4. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Correct. If you are not in the destination club you need to pay the lock off fee whether you reserve the two parts of the unit for the same week or two different weeks. You would have to pay an additional exchange fee to II for each unit you exchange through II.

5. bazzap

bazzap TUG Member

Yes true, I have updated my earlier response.

6. m61376

m61376 TUG Member

And, yes, if you buy in Las Vegas you can request a trade in II for Aruba weeks, but of course any trade is subject to availability and a bit of luck. Ultimately, if you envision traveling to Aruba at least half the time, and esp. if you want to go certain weeks, you'd be better off buying an Aruba week on hte resale market, which would allow you to directly book the weeks and uniti size you wanted each year.

7. Seaport104

Seaport104 TUG Member

If you want to go to Aruba during platinum (winter season), buy the week there. Many owners use or rent out when not using. Plus with Marriott recently allowing free enrollments into DC, the owners who may have previously deposited into Interval will be electing points instead thereby reducing Interval exchange inventory.

elleny76 likes this.
  8. elleny76

elleny76 Guest

What it means enrolling into " DC"? How DC works? Can you buy resale and do a free enrollment to DC? thanks

9. Seaport104

Seaport104 TUG Member

DC is Destinations Club, the points feature of Marriott Vacation Club system. Only weeks bought directly through Marriott and resale pre June 2010 qualify for the free enrollment. therefore, if you buy resale the free enrollment is not an option for you. In the past Marriott has allowed resale post June 2010 weeks to be enrolled but with a purchase of trust points directly from Marriott which is cost at least a couple of ten thousand dollars.

elleny76 likes this.
  10. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    There are still some non US locations (like Aruba) where you can buy weeks directly from Marriott that are eligible for enrollment and in fact may allow previously purchased post 2010 resales to be enrolled. Those types of offers can be discontinued at any time. Even so Marriott will expect you to pay them $25,000-$40,000+ directly either in purchasing these non US weeks or DC points in order to enroll post 2010 resale weeks.

elleny76 likes this.