• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards Elite Status now based on DC membership / effective 2/15/17

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
MR Status now also seems to be based on MVC status. Has anyone else seen that? I saw it mentioned on FB. Top ownership tiers get platinum or gold MR status. Is this new or have I never seen it before?

Last edited by a moderator:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This was also news to me until I saw it on fb, but it is on the owner website now

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpg
    IMG_3711.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 969

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
MR Status now also seems to be based on MVC status. Has anyone else seen that? I saw it mentioned on FB. Top ownership tiers get platinum or gold MR status. Is this new or have I never seen it before?

This was also news to me until I saw it on fb, but it is on the owner website now

Another nice perk to being enrolled in the DC for those sitting on the do I enroll or do I not fence.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Barry, thanks for sharing this information. We are currently MR Platinum, but probably won't be able to maintain that level going forward. We will always try to maintain Gold, but now won't have to worry about it, since it will be automatic as an enrolled owner or Trust Point owner. Great news.

Best regards.

Mike

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Will MVC status translate into elite nights, so that Executive level members would only need 25 nights additional to get to Platinum?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Will MVC status translate into elite nights, so that Executive level members would only need 25 nights additional to get to Platinum?
You would have to stay 75 nights to get platinum. They do not credit you 50 nights for being executive. Your executive level gets you gold status. But if you want platinum you would need to stay 75 nights in a calendar year.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
Both of us

I was wondering. Would all the names on the deed be eligible for the status awarded?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

It seems that they are trying to match what Vistana does for SPG owners. I believe all direct purchase owners in Vistana are gold in SPG. Higher level Elites might get higher status. Not sure. It makes sense that Marriott is offering the same/similar.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I was wondering. Would all the names on the deed be eligible for the status awarded?

Only the person names on the SPG Acct.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Only the person names on the SPG Acct.

What do you mean by that? With Vistana, do you associate your SPG account with your ownership through SPG or through Vistana.com? With Marriott, your MR# is attached to your ownership profile on the marriottvacatinclub website. It would be interesting to see how they implement this for MR. Does it apply to all on the deed or only the primary?

VAC had no choice but to do this. As of last week all Vistana owners that bought direct were automatically gold in Marriott Rewards as long as they linked their accounts. While the same didn't apply to Marriott owners.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When you buy a [developer] Vistana TS, they ask you whose name should go on the SPG Acct. linked to your ownership.

Of course, your spouse can have their own SPG Acct. - with a different number.

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
MVC Selects and higher are now minimum Gold Elite

Looks like Gold Elite status just got diluted. :wall:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned Marriott timeshares since 1988. Marriott did not start counting timeshare stays for elite nights until sometime after 2000. We are lifetime gold with plenty of MRP to be platinum elite. If all the timeshare stays had counted we would have been lifetime platinum years ago. Under the new rules we will be platinum elite because we are chairmen's club. So I am happy.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

This is actually a big deal and perhaps should have been its own thread. Not necessarily related to the merger.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Received email today. Last paragraph "The Marriott Rewards Program may be discontinued at any time." Is this just standard language or do I need to book all my travel packages soon!

Marriott Vacation Club logo
No Images? Click here.
YOU MAY RECEIVE AN UPGRADE TO YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS STATUS!*
Marriott International® has joined with Starwood Hotels & Resorts® – find out what it means for you.
New Benefits for Owners
Enjoy new opportunities by linking your Marriott Rewards® and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) accounts.

You may receive an upgrade to your Marriott Rewards status.

Receive the same level status in the SPG program.
If you haven't already heard, Marriott International recently joined with Starwood Hotels & Resorts and created the world's largest lodging hospitality company – more than 5,700 properties representing 30 brands in 110 countries.

How does this affect you?

Your Owner usage and exchange rights remain unchanged. And now, you can enjoy the best of the Marriott Rewards and the SPG programs. As a Marriott Vacation Club® Owner, you can link your Marriott Rewards and SPG accounts to receive more value, more access and more offerings than ever!

By linking your Marriott Rewards and SPG accounts, you'll enjoy new opportunities through an expanded portfolio of offerings in great new destinations. You can even transfer your points between accounts so you can start enjoying the best of both programs.**

You may be upgraded.
If you are enrolled in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Exchange Program or own Vacation Club Points and have achieved the Select Owner benefit level or above, you may receive a Marriott Rewards status upgrade annually! That means you can enjoy all the privileges that come with your new elevated status starting February 15, 2017.

Discover the advantages of your new Elite status.

If you are at the Chairman's Club or Presidential Owner benefit level, your Marriott Rewards status will be Platinum Elite, currently the highest Marriott Rewards member status.
If you are at the Executive or Select Owner benefit level, your Marriott Rewards status will not be less than Gold Elite.
Marriott Rewards Benefits
Gold Elite

• Lounge access and breakfast for 2
• Complimentary room upgrade, if available
• 25% bonus on points for stays

You could be elevated even higher with Status Match.***
Whichever Marriott Rewards status you receive as part of this exciting announcement, you will receive the same status in the SPG program when you link your Marriott Rewards and SPG accounts. Already a SPG member and enjoy a higher status in that program? Then your Marriott Rewards status will be upgraded to match your SPG status when you link your accounts.

*Access to Marriott Rewards® is provided via membership in the Marriott Rewards program and is subject to the Marriott Rewards Terms & Conditions and the terms and conditions as outlined in the applicable Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program documents. Actual participating resorts and hotels are subject to change.*******************The Marriott Rewards program may be discontinued at any time. ****************Some Marriott Vacation Club Exchange Program Enrolled Owners will be unable to trade their usage for Marriott Rewards points.

**Marriott Rewards points earned through Marriott Vacation Club ownership cannot be transferred to SPG.

***Applies to highest non-promotional status level.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
When you buy a [developer] Vistana TS, they ask you whose name should go on the SPG Acct. linked to your ownership.

Of course, your spouse can have their own SPG Acct. - with a different number.

And Starwood will link each SPG account to the VSE ownership of each person on the deed. So each person will have that status with SPG and now Marriott based on the ownership.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
We like this!

-- We have owned Marriott timeshares since 1988. Marriott did not start counting timeshare stays for elite nights until sometime after 2000. We are lifetime gold with plenty of MRP to be platinum elite. If all the timeshare stays had counted we would have been lifetime platinum years ago. Under the new rules we will be platinum elite because we are chairmen's club. So I am happy.--

Same situation with us. We are very happy!!!!:clap:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Received email today. Last paragraph "The Marriott Rewards Program may be discontinued at any time." Is this just standard language or do I need to book all my travel packages soon! ...

It's standard language. One version or another of it has been on practically every timeshare doc that references MR, including the purchase docs when you buy direct from Marriott. It being on these new notices shouldn't cause any more or less concern then it always has. I don't spend a minute thinking about it. :)

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
THis is a very nice perk. WOnder how often a room upgrade will be granted.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
One interesting thing about the way they are linking these accounts is that we now have absolutely the best of both worlds. This is great in some respects but I am not sure it was the smart way for them to proceed. By giving all the benefits now with no offsetting takeaways, the net effect is that when they completely merge the programs anything they take away from either program at that time will be a takeaway for all with no offsetting improvements. If they keep all the benefits of each program the combined new program will be unbelievably rich and I doubt they will do go that far. In any event, I think the program now, with the linkage, is far superior to any other loyalty program in existence.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is a lot easier to get higher status in SPG than it is in Marriott. My only concern is lack of upgrades and overcrowded lounges now that all are in the same group. I suppose maybe it balances out since a MR member might elect to start in a SPG hotel instead of only Marriott.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
THis is a very nice perk. WOnder how often a room upgrade will be granted.

Well, now that there are more of us, not as often. :ignore:

I usually get a room view upgrade (corner room, higher floor etc.., but a few times I've actually received a major upgrade. Just recently I arrived VERY late at the Cosmopolitan and found out upon arrival that the hotel was sold out. I paid for a Bellagio view room and had hoped for an upgrade to a premium Bellagio view using my status. When I got there they tried to put me in a lower tier Bellagio view room instead. I insisted that I had hoped to be upgraded, not downgraded in that Bellagio view category. I also reminded them that I was a very long term Gold Elite member and that the room they issued me was not acceptable. They made me wait for a minute or two and came back with a major upgrade to a 900sf 2-bath suite that was front and center with an amazing view.

Cosmopolitan%20view.jpg

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by that? With Vistana, do you associate your SPG account with your ownership through SPG or through Vistana.com? With Marriott, your MR# is attached to your ownership profile on the marriottvacatinclub website. It would be interesting to see how they implement this for MR. Does it apply to all on the deed or only the primary?

VAC had no choice but to do this. As of last week all Vistana owners that bought direct were automatically gold in Marriott Rewards as long as they linked their accounts. While the same didn't apply to Marriott owners.

So my friends who bought MGV platinum directly from Marriott have no elite status in Marriott Rewards but a SPG member who bought a week directly from Starwood gets to be Marriott Rewards Gold? How is this fair?

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned Marriott timeshares since 1988. Marriott did not start counting timeshare stays for elite nights until sometime after 2000. We are lifetime gold with plenty of MRP to be platinum elite. If all the timeshare stays had counted we would have been lifetime platinum years ago. Under the new rules we will be platinum elite because we are chairmen's club. So I am happy.

We are lifetime gold with plenty of MRP to be platinum elite.

Points don't have anything to do with Marriott Elite levels. I could have a million MRP and still have no status. For example I could trade one of my timeshare for 120,000 MRP. Those points would not increase or decrease my elite level. However, you need to have/had a million MRP to be Gold Elite (or maybe that's platinum, I forget)

If all the timeshare stays had counted we would have been lifetime platinum years ago. Yes, you're absolutely correct on that. Every timeshare night counts toward your elite levels. That's why so many of us are Platinum Elite :cheer:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
One interesting thing about the way they are linking these accounts is that we now have absolutely the best of both worlds. This is great in some respects but I am not sure it was the smart way for them to proceed. By giving all the benefits now with no offsetting takeaways, the net effect is that when they completely merge the programs anything they take away from either program at that time will be a takeaway for all with no offsetting improvements. If they keep all the benefits of each program the combined new program will be unbelievably rich and I doubt they will do go that far. In any event, I think the program now, with the linkage, is far superior to any other loyalty program in existence.
Boca, I'm going to think positively, and cross my fingers and toes, that Marriott will continue following their path to give us the best rewards program in the realm of reward programs!