• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards Elite Status now based on DC membership / effective 2/15/17

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, now that there are more of us, not as often. :ignore:

I usually get a room view upgrade (corner room, higher floor etc.., but a few times I've actually received a major upgrade. Just recently I arrived VERY late at the Cosmopolitan and found out upon arrival that the hotel was sold out. I paid for a Bellagio view room and had hoped for an upgrade to a premium Bellagio view using my status. When I got there they tried to put me in a lower tier Bellagio view room instead. I insisted that I had hoped to be upgraded, not downgraded in that Bellagio view category. I also reminded them that I was a very long term Gold Elite member and that the room they issued me was not acceptable. They made me wait for a minute or two and came back with a major upgrade to a 900sf 2-bath suite that was front and center with an amazing view.

Cosmopolitan%20view.jpg

Omg lucky you! But it shows you have to know the rules and be your own advocate. Good job!

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
-- Points don't have anything to do with Marriott Elite levels. I could have a million MRP and still have no status. For example I could trade one of my timeshare for 120,000 MRP. Those points would not increase or decrease my elite level. However, you need to have/had a million MRP to be Gold Elite (or maybe that's platinum, I forget) --

I think we are talking about lifetime status and points are 1/2 of the equation needed, along with nights, so points have a lot to do with Marriott (lifetime) elite levels.

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
MR Status now also seems to be based on MVC status. Has anyone else seen that? I saw it mentioned on FB. Top ownership tiers get platinum or gold MR status. Is this new or have I never seen it before?

I don't have Facebook so can't see this. Can I find this information anyplace else?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't have Facebook so can't see this. Can I find this information anyplace else?

See the attachment in post #2. You can also see the details if you log on to marriottvacationclub.com.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks. Error on MVC website so can't see anything there. I did see post #2 from FB. I chatted with MVC rep tonight. She said that this begins Feb. 2017.

I think the date in the title of the thread should be updated. It seems that they are updating status in the next year that Marriott Rewards uses for their "status year".

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
So my friends who bought MGV platinum directly from Marriott have no elite status in Marriott Rewards but a SPG member who bought a week directly from Starwood gets to be Marriott Rewards Gold? How is this fair?

It is not fair, which I think is why this change is now being made to Marriott Rewards.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It is not fair, which I think is why this change is now being made to Marriott Rewards.

One still needs 4000 points to make Select owner to get Gold Elite MR status. So even that direct Grande Vista owner wouldn't be MR Gold Elite. Though any Vistana direct owner would be given the status in the new merged programs.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lifetime Status requirements

-- Points don't have anything to do with Marriott Elite levels. I could have a million MRP and still have no status. For example I could trade one of my timeshare for 120,000 MRP. Those points would not increase or decrease my elite level. However, you need to have/had a million MRP to be Gold Elite (or maybe that's platinum, I forget) --

I think we are talking about lifetime status and points are 1/2 of the equation needed, along with nights, so points have a lot to do with Marriott (lifetime) elite levels.
http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/member-benefits/lifetime-status.mi
Cheers.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
One still needs 4000 points to make Select owner to get Gold Elite MR status. So even that direct Grande Vista owner wouldn't be MR Gold Elite. Though any Vistana direct owner would be given the status in the new merged programs.

Yep, this is EXACTLY what I meant!

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by that? With Vistana, do you associate your SPG account with your ownership through SPG or through Vistana.com? With Marriott, your MR# is attached to your ownership profile on the marriottvacatinclub website. It would be interesting to see how they implement this for MR. Does it apply to all on the deed or only the primary?

VAC had no choice but to do this. As of last week all Vistana owners that bought direct were automatically gold in Marriott Rewards as long as they linked their accounts. While the same didn't apply to Marriott owners.

I think this is very important for the members of MVCI. Elite Status is given to every Vistana owner when they purchase directly from Starwood. However, Elite Status is not given to every MVCI owner when they purchase directly from Marriott. Therefore, all Vistana Owners who purchased directly from Starwood and are Gold Elite because of that purchase, and because of the reciprocal transfer of status from Starwood Gold Elite to Marriott Gold Elite, these owners will now be Gold Elite with Marriott! However, the converse does not hold true. Marriott Vacation Club owners who purchased directly from MVCI will have no status with Marriott or Starwood!

Last edited:

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think this is very important for the members of MVCI. Elite Status is given to every Vistana owner when they purchase directly from Starwood. However, Elite Status is not given to every MVCI owner when they purchase directly from Marriott. Therefore, all Vistana Owners who purchased directly from Starwood and are Gold Elite because of that purchase, and because of the reciprocal transfer of status from Starwood Gold Elite to Marriott Gold Elite, these owners will now be Gold Elite with Marriott! However, the converse does not hold true. Marriott Vacation Club owners who purchased directly from MVCI will have no status with Marriott or Starwood!

Probably had no choice but to do what was rightfully offered those Vistana owners.
About all they can now do is stop granting Marriott Gold status to all future direct purchasers of a Vistana properties. I would rather them do this than offer Marriott direct purchasers Gold status. The numbers would be too great and dilute the system even more.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
.....you need to have/had a million MRP to be Gold Elite (or maybe that's platinum, I forget)

1.6 million for Lifetime Gold Elite and 2 million for Lifetime Platinum Elite, in addition to the nights requirement.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are lifetime gold with plenty of MRP to be platinum elite.

Points don't have anything to do with Marriott Elite levels. I could have a million MRP and still have no status. For example I could trade one of my timeshare for 120,000 MRP. Those points would not increase or decrease my elite level. However, you need to have/had a million MRP to be Gold Elite (or maybe that's platinum, I forget

You have to have 750 nights and 2,000,000 MRP to be lifetime platinum. As MR members we have had 3.5 million MRP but only 500+ nights. That's why we are not lifetime platinum. Now we will be. So yes the MRP do matter.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Points don't have anything to do with Marriott Elite levels. I could have a million MRP and still have no status. For example I could trade one of my timeshare for 120,000 MRP. Those points would not increase or decrease my elite level. However, you need to have/had a million MRP to be Gold Elite (or maybe that's platinum, I forget

You have to have 750 nights and 2,000,000 MRP to be lifetime platinum. As MR members we have had 3.5 million MRP but only 500+ nights. That's why we are not lifetime platinum. Now we will be. So yes the MRP do matter.
You will be MR Platinum Elite status as a Chairman's Club Owner, but only a lifetime member provided you retain your MVC ownership for life and they don't change these rules or the Ownership levels and benefits.
It is certainly a good benefit though, so let's hope it does continue for life.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
Actually that wasn't from my post, but you are, of course, correct in providing the exact point requirements.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like Gold Elite status just got diluted. :wall:

We will both gold with Marriott and SPG since both of our names are on the deed so I am glad about the dilution.:whoopie:

We both have gold status with Hilton and Platinum with IHG (both through credit cards). Gold status may be diluted by credit cards and cross honoring (such as with airlines) but we still get some nice upgrades.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, now that there are more of us, not as often. :ignore:

I usually get a room view upgrade (corner room, higher floor etc.., but a few times I've actually received a major upgrade. Just recently I arrived VERY late at the Cosmopolitan and found out upon arrival that the hotel was sold out. I paid for a Bellagio view room and had hoped for an upgrade to a premium Bellagio view using my status. When I got there they tried to put me in a lower tier Bellagio view room instead. I insisted that I had hoped to be upgraded, not downgraded in that Bellagio view category. I also reminded them that I was a very long term Gold Elite member and that the room they issued me was not acceptable. They made me wait for a minute or two and came back with a major upgrade to a 900sf 2-bath suite that was front and center with an amazing view.

Cosmopolitan%20view.jpg

We stayed in a similar room. We were at a seminar and was booked into the lowest level room (which was paid by the sponsor of the seminar). Cosmopolitan offered us an upgrade but asked for $40 per night since the upgrade was to the premium room. I was gold at that time. Since Cosmopolitan was prepared to put us in the room that we booked, I paid the $40. It was well worth it. Others at the seminar did get the standard view if they didn't pay.

Attachments

• Las Vegas View 2 .jpg
    Las Vegas View 2 .jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We will both gold with Marriott and SPG since both of our names are on the deed so I am glad about the dilution.:whoopie:

We both have gold status with Hilton and Platinum with IHG (both through credit cards). Gold status may be diluted by credit cards and cross honoring (such as with airlines) but we still get some nice upgrades.

I don't think we know that is how it will work. Do all owners on the deeds get status, or only the one listed as primary. We may not know until February. DW will lose her gold status in February, but if she retains it, it will be because of ownership status only.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will be MR Platinum Elite status as a Chairman's Club Owner, but only a lifetime member provided you retain your MVC ownership for life and they don't change these rules or the Ownership levels and benefits.
It is certainly a good benefit though, so let's hope it does continue for life.

If it only works for a few years we will be lifetime platinum:cheer:

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score

Points don't have anything to do with Marriott Elite levels. I could have a million MRP and still have no status. For example I could trade one of my timeshare for 120,000 MRP. Those points would not increase or decrease my elite level. However, you need to have/had a million MRP to be Gold Elite (or maybe that's platinum, I forget)

If all the timeshare stays had counted we would have been lifetime platinum years ago. Yes, you're absolutely correct on that. Every timeshare night counts toward your elite levels. That's why so many of us are Platinum Elite :cheer:

Points earned DO have an effect on lifetime status with Marriott Rewards. Lifetime status is granted on a combination of lifetime nights and lifetime points earned. You must meet both requirements for lifetime status. I don't remember the thresholds for each level.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
I don't think we know that is how it will work. Do all owners on the deeds get status, or only the one listed as primary. We may not know until February. DW will lose her gold status in February, but if she retains it, it will be because of ownership status only.

Only the primary owner gets the status...as long as the qualifying level is maintained. We just attended a presentation at Waiohai and spent most of the time on the new rules. Accounts were linked right there and showed up instantly. So since I have put almost all our points into my husbands account as primary owner, he stays Platinum forever, but I'll still have to requalify for gold every year. However, the status stays with the ownership, so our ownership in a family trust will retain the Platium level and whoever becomes the the primary owner will assume that Platium status. So if anything happens to the current primary owner, the spouse or a beneficiary who becomes "primary" owner will retain that status as long as the ownership remains at the level (Executive, etc.) at which the status was earned.

Last edited:

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to confirm lifetime thresholds are

250nights & 1.2 million points = lifetime silver.
500 nights and 1.6 million points=lifetime gold
750 nights and 2 million points= lifetime platinum.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk