• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards Elite Status now based on DC membership / effective 2/15/17

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A new change to Platinum benefits at properties.... http://loyaltylobby.com/2016/10/08/...conditions-update-october-7-2016/?omhide=true

The 500 Platinum gift is only available on qualifying rates, and otherwise you have to take the food & beverage credit. On non qualifying rates At facilities without F & B, Platinum gets nothing extra.

Here is how they define Qualifying Stay
Qualifying Stay: A qualifying stay is any night stayed in the current calendar year at a participating hotel at an eligible rate and paid for by the member.

Perhaps they won't give the gift for stays booked through third parties or group rates?

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or on an MVC stay. I always liked the 500 bonus because in my mind it made the 7 qualifying nights much more likely to be posted if the 500 points was being posted.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Does this mean MVC stays will no longer qualify for a Plat. reward?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean MVC stays will no longer qualify for a Plat. reward?
I trust not and there is nothing to suggest this, just confirmation that MVC resorts do not have the F&B option.

jin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received their upgrade to gold or platinum yet? I think I was upgraded to gold, but should actually be platinum--I was told Feb was official date. If I merge now, I will get an SPG status match to gold, but I'm not sure if it will status match again in Feb when I reach platinum.....

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received their upgrade to gold or platinum yet? I think I was upgraded to gold, but should actually be platinum--I was told Feb was official date. If I merge now, I will get an SPG status match to gold, but I'm not sure if it will status match again in Feb when I reach platinum.....
My reading of the Marriott / SPG FAQs says yes

"I earned a new level of status in one program after my accounts were linked and my status was matched. What happens now?"
Well done! Your status will be upgraded automatically — in both accounts. It might take up to 24 hours for your matched account to reflect the upgrade at our hotels. We’ll email you to confirm the upgrade."

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas

I linked mine a couple weeks back. I just checked SPG and it now reflects my current Marriott status. I'll be checking in February for my change to Platinum.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Apparently MVC presidential and Chairman's club status will get you Plat. elite status starting in Feb. ? It will be interesting to see if this is the case. That will come in handy with Plat elite status extending to SPG.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apparently MVC presidential and Chairman's club status will get you Plat. elite status starting in Feb. ? It will be interesting to see if this is the case. That will come in handy with Plat elite status extending to SPG.
This has been confirmed from February 15 2017 and covered fairly comprehensively in [Link to this thread deleted after posts moved. <-- SueDonJ] and many of us who are currently MR Platinum Elite have already requested and received status match with SPG.

Last edited by a moderator:

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the thresholds you have to meet to be Presidential or Chairman's Club through weeks ownership? I own 3 weeks - 2 at Aruba Surf Club and 1 EOY at Ko Olina. Do I get any credit towards status with those?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the thresholds you have to meet to be Presidential or Chairman's Club through weeks ownership? I own 3 weeks - 2 at Aruba Surf Club and 1 EOY at Ko Olina. Do I get any credit towards status with those?
Yes you do, but it depends on the number of Points allocated for your resort weeks.
PRESIDENTIAL
10,000 – 14,999 Vacation Club Points
CHAIRMAN’S CLUB
15,000+ Vacation Club Points
Owners with 13,000 to 14,999 Vacation Club Points as of April 29, 2015 who were granted Chairman’s Club status will be required to obtain 15,000 Vacation Club Points to again achieve Chairman’s Club status if that Owner’s interest level falls below 13,000 Vacation Club Points.

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Does that apply even though I purchased my units third-party after the June 2010 cutoff? Or do my units have to be technically eligible for DC conversion to count towards the status?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Does that apply even though I purchased my units third-party after the June 2010 cutoff? Or do my units have to be technically eligible for DC conversion to count towards the status?
Unfortunately, they had to be purchased before the cutoff date to be eligible for enrolment and qualify for status.
There may be options at times for Resale post cutoff weeks to be enrolled too, but that would also involve significant investment in the purchase of Points.
Others will probably give further details of this.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

They have to be more than "technically eligible" for DC enrollment; they have to actually be enrolled. Think of the qualifier being a certain status in the Destination Club program, rather than being the DC Points value of certain Weeks.

Below is copied from the email announcement that MVW sent back in late September. Since that email they haven't explained why non-enrolled Weeks Ownership hasn't been given similar consideration.

>>... If you are enrolled in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Exchange Program or own Vacation Club Points and have achieved the Select Owner benefit level or above, you may receive a Marriott Rewards status upgrade annually! That means you can enjoy all the privileges that come with your new elevated status starting February 15, 2017.
If you are at the Chairman's Club or Presidential Owner benefit level, your Marriott Rewards status will be Platinum Elite, currently the highest Marriott Rewards member status.
If you are at the Executive or Select Owner benefit level, your Marriott Rewards status will not be less than Gold Elite. ...
<<

[I'm moving several of these posts to an ongoing thread related to this bestowed MR status.]

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I think we are talking about lifetime status and points are 1/2 of the equation needed, along with nights, so points have a lot to do with Marriott (lifetime) elite levels.
They certainly do. My wife has almost enough nights for Lifetime platinum, but she is still something over 500,000 points short. That is because she has a lot of timeshare stays in her account, and those stays don't usually have a lot of points. I am lifetime platinum, but because I had a lot of stays years ago and was the one who got points when we exchanged Sabal Palms for points, I met the points criteria long before I met the nights requirement.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
They certainly do. My wife has almost enough nights for Lifetime platinum, but she is still something over 500,000 points short. That is because she has a lot of timeshare stays in her account, and those stays don't usually have a lot of points. I am lifetime platinum, but because I had a lot of stays years ago and was the one who got points when we exchanged Sabal Palms for points, I met the points criteria long before I met the nights requirement.
If you have joint MVC ownership though you can switch the MR account linked to your ownership.
So as I will reach Lifetime Platinum within the year, then we will switch the linked MR account to my wife's to give her Platinum through our Chairman's Club status.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
If you have joint MVC ownership though you can switch the MR account linked to your ownership.
So as I will reach Lifetime Platinum within the year, then we will switch the linked MR account to my wife's to give her Platinum through our Chairman's Club status.

That is what we decided to do as well. After 24 years with Marriott Rewards, I reached Lifetime Platinum last year with my MR number tied to our MVCI account. When this announcement came out, we contacted MVCI and replaced my MR number with my wife's so we will both have Platinum status starting in February. The immediate benefit for us will be once again having unrestricted access to the Concierge lounges at full-service Marriott and Renaissance properties. Since Marriott introduced their "+1 policy" limiting lounge access to the Gold/Platinum member and a single guest, we have changed our hotel travel as a family away from full-service Marriotts to Fairfield Inns. While Fairfields are fine hotels, and better still than some competitor brands, it will be nice to resume staying at the full-service properties as a family where DW and I can each take a child with us and use the lounge.

LUV2TRVL2HI

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what we decided to do as well. After 24 years with Marriott Rewards, I reached Lifetime Platinum last year with my MR number tied to our MVCI account. When this announcement came out, we contacted MVCI and replaced my MR number with my wife's so we will both have Platinum status starting in February. The immediate benefit for us will be once again having unrestricted access to the Concierge lounges at full-service Marriott and Renaissance properties. Since Marriott introduced their "+1 policy" limiting lounge access to the Gold/Platinum member and a single guest, we have changed our hotel travel as a family away from full-service Marriotts to Fairfield Inns. While Fairfields are fine hotels, and better still than some competitor brands, it will be nice to resume staying at the full-service properties as a family where DW and I can each take a child with us and use the lounge.

kds4, were you successful in doing this change? Does your wife's Marriott Rewards account show the Platinum status already? We attempted to do the same, but my wife's Marriott account doesn't show the Platinum. It only references the Gold status from our Starwoods account. Her MR number shows up on the MVCI account as "primary" now, but still my name! Was there any certain number you called?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
kds4, were you successful in doing this change? Does your wife's Marriott Rewards account show the Platinum status already? We attempted to do the same, but my wife's Marriott account doesn't show the Platinum. It only references the Gold status from our Starwoods account. Her MR number shows up on the MVCI account as "primary" now, but still my name! Was there any certain number you called?
The new Elite levels based on ownership status don't go in to effect until February 2017. So I would't expect you to be able to see the new status in MR yet.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new Elite levels based on ownership status don't go in to effect until February 2017. So I would't expect you to be able to see the new status in MR yet.
True, but the change can certainly be done successfully.
I had just enquired about the possibility then they actually made the change to switch the MR account tied to our MVC ownership immediately, so I had to thank them but ask them to switch it back again just until I reached the Lifetime Platinum threshold.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time will tell.

My experience navigating the SPG program over many years:

The SPG no capacity control on standard hotel rooms and no black-out dates, is, in my opinion, a huge plus of the SPG program. HOWEVER, some Starwood hotel owners have gotten very smart about manipulating the SPG program. What they've done is they've tweaked their standard hotel rooms in such a way to reclassify them as upgraded rooms. Remember, the "no capacity control," "no blackout date" features of the SPG program is applicable (for standard room level awards) for standard rooms. So, the end run that the owners have played is this: they have dramatically reduced the number of standard rooms in their hotel. They sell those rooms out first. When then comes along an SPG member, looking to use points for a standard room redemption, all of a sudden, there are "no rooms available." On occasion, the SPG website will tell you, when you are searching for a SPG award redemption room, that you have to call SPG Reservations to check availability. If you are lucky, the Hotel Owner has put their "upgraded room" into the SPG award redemption pool, making it available for SPG points redemption, BUT, with additional SPG points over the standard room. More often that not, I have discovered in cases like the above, that there are no room available for SPG points redemption. One hotel that is an excellent example of this Hotel Owner/SPG program end-play is the Parsippany (NJ) Sheraton. They converted many standard rooms into upgraded rooms, and the upgraded rooms are not subject to the standard room reward redemption thresholds.

In my opinion, 15 years ago, many hotel and airline brand loyalty programs were a lot more attractive than they are today. No wonder Airbnb is an aspiring Cottage Industry, and a real threat to hotel companies and states who want to collect state taxes and surcharges on hotel room nights.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

We were successful. My wife's MR status is currently gold. The platinum upgrade should occur in February of 2017. We went through Owner Services to make the change. It wasn't hard.