• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Rewards Elite Status now based on DC membership / effective 2/15/17

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that I have been upgraded to Gold status. I only had Silver last year so I suspect that it is because of my Select status in MVC. My Starwood account also shows Gold status. I previously was Starwood Preferred for several years (despite owning a Starwood timeshare since it was bought resale).

Has anyone else noticed a change in status?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be difficult for me to determine since I stayed 100+ nights last year thereby making me Platinum Elite for 2017. I'm also Chairman's Level with MVCI. I just checked and I'm Platinum Elite on Starwoodhotels.com and I haven't stayed in a Starwood hotel in 10 years!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I just checked and I'm Platinum Elite on Starwoodhotels.com and I haven't stayed in a Starwood hotel in 10 years!
This is because of the new crossover benefit of MR / SPG after the merger and linking accounts.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is because of the new crossover benefit of MR / SPG after the merger and linking accounts.
Yep! I'll have to give my status a test run. What will Platinum Elite get me with Starwood? Have they worked out a way for me to use MRP at a Starwood location? I know that was delayed for awhile when this all started.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yep! I'll have to give my status a test run. What will Platinum Elite get me with Starwood? Have they worked out a way for me to use MRP at a Starwood location? I know that was delayed for awhile when this all started.
The only way to use MR points as Starwood locations is to transfer them to SPG at the 3:1 ratio. Probably not the best option as the ratio seems to favor transferring from SPG to MR.

Jeffrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just received this email...

To reward you for your continued loyalty as a Member of the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Exchange program, we are offering you a new annual benefit. On or about February 15, 2017, your Marriott Rewards® account ending with 058 will be upgraded to Gold Elite status. This upgrade will be reviewed on an annual basis.

If this is not the Marriott Rewards account you want upgraded, you may choose another one listed in your membership. Click the "Update Information" button below to make this change prior to February 1, 2017. Any changes made after February 1, 2017 will be saved for the 2018 Marriott Rewards upgrade process.
We hope you enjoy this new benefit!
Sincerely,
Marriott Vacation Club, Owner Services
I am getting more and more frustrated these days with all of the automatic emails with less and less personalization... If MVC had done their homework, they would have seen that I am and have been Platinum the last years and just a few nights away from Lifetime Gold.

What value does this email have? Where are my individual new annual benefits based on what I have already achieved? Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting anything....

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Got our email, too, and it's immaterial because the MR account they're referencing is already Lifetime Plat. I'm not all that phased by the disconnect between MVW and MI - sure their systems could be made more compatible and be more timely but it is what it is and the choice has always been to accept it or let it make you crazy. What I did like about this email from MVW is that they include a blurb about how to change the account affiliation if you don't want the DC-related status to be attached to the primary MR account listed in your MVW account. It's very useful to have that information provided in advance rather than having to track it down.

Moderator Note: This thread is being merged with the one that was started when this feature was first announced.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I like it. I was renewed Gold for 2017 even though I was a few night short. It doesn't look like DW will be renewed in to Gold since she was way off on nights and hasn't gotten a letter saying they renewed her anyway. My MR number is the primary on our account. I like that I can update the primary account with this tool instead of having to call them. I wonder if you can enter anyone's number in there or if they somehow know that it is the MR number of someone else on the account? Not that I want to do that, but what if you type a number in wrong?

Once you update it, it looks like it retains the number you updated it to. You can see this if you click on the Update Information button again after updating it. I suspect you can change it as many times as you want prior to 2/1/2017 and the number that is in there as of that date will be the one that is effective for 2017.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
To reward you for your continued loyalty as a Member of the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations™ Exchange program, we are offering you a new annual benefit. On or about February 15, 2017, your Marriott Rewards® account ending with 058 will be upgraded to Gold Elite status. This upgrade will be reviewed on an annual basis.

What MVCI giveth, MVCI may taketh away?

Last edited:

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
My husband's # is on our MVC account and he is Platinum for this year. I'm only silver. If I change our account to my number I'm afraid for all our timeshare stays the nights credit will go to mine rather than his and we need those nights on my husband's account in order for him to maintain Platinum. I really don't travel without him, so me getting upgraded to Gold wouldn't matter that much.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
My husband's # is on our MVC account and he is Platinum for this year. I'm only silver. If I change our account to my number I'm afraid for all our timeshare stays the nights credit will go to mine rather than his and we need those nights on my husband's account in order for him to maintain Platinum. I really don't travel without him, so me getting upgraded to Gold wouldn't matter that much.
As long as you make the reservations under his online MVC profile, I think you will be fine. Worst case, you just need to update the MR number at checkin to the number you want the nights to post to.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
Is there any reason to get a Marriott Rewards account for my wife and attach this benefit to it. My MR account is at lifetime gold and will not hit lifetime platinum in 3-4 years. I'm trying to see the utility...

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I had wrongly assumed that all owners at the required DC status level would be upgraded, but apparently we have to choose only one number in the case of joint ownership.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Yep, which is SOP for any agreements that have to be maintained on an ongoing basis between any two separate companies, in this case Marriott, Int'l and Marriott Vacations Worldwide. I'd guess that MVW deserves credit here for approaching MI with the idea.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think you are interpreting this the same way I am. I don't think it has anything to do with the overall program, but rather how they will handle each owners individual status on a year to year basis. Each year they will look at your DC ownership status and determine what level of Elite Status you are eligible for. If you buy more points your ownership status could go up and you deserve an upgrade in MR Elite status. Sell and it could go down.

Last edited:

toxicesq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the Marriott/SPG status match a Gold for Gold match or a match of the actual level of status. Gold level in Marriott requires 50 nights while Gold in SPG requires only 25 nights, and the level of benefits is similarly different. In contrast, 50 nights in SPG gets you Platinum status, so to be a true status match Marriott Gold should get you SPG Platinum. Does it?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Is the Marriott/SPG status match a Gold for Gold match or a match of the actual level of status. Gold level in Marriott requires 50 nights while Gold in SPG requires only 25 nights, and the level of benefits is similarly different. In contrast, 50 nights in SPG gets you Platinum status, so to be a true status match Marriott Gold should get you SPG Platinum. Does it?
Nope. Gold for Gold and Plat for Plat.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
I don't think you are interpreting this the same way I am. I don't think it has anything to do with the overall program, but rather how they will handle each owners individual status on a year to year basis. Each year they will look at your DC ownership status and determine what level of Elite Status you are eligible for. If you buy more points your ownership status could go up and you deserve an upgrade in MR Elite status. Sell and it could go down.

It looks like it will be re-evaluated every year under unknown criteria. Unless they actually spell it out, we'll find out when it happens. I'm inclined to keep things as they are, seeing as how it's hard to know what the meaning of "is" is...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It looks like it will be re-evaluated every year under unknown criteria. Unless they actually spell it out, we'll find out when it happens. I'm inclined to keep things as they are, seeing as how it's hard to know what the meaning of "is" is...
We know what the criteria is. Sure they can change the criteria in the future, but I don't think that disclaimer you questioned is for. It is there to indicate that they will reevaluate my eligibility for the status every year. Just because I qualify this year, doesn't mean I will next year. I may sell or upgrade my ownership.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
We know what the criteria is. Sure they can change the criteria in the future, but I don't think that disclaimer you questioned is for. It is there to indicate that they will reevaluate my eligibility for the status every year. Just because I qualify this year, doesn't mean I will next year. I may sell or upgrade my ownership.

Could be... but I'm not a mind reader, just ask my wife!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I agree. The criteria are very clearly and explicitly spelled out. The only thing that was not clear initially is whether each owner on the account gets the new status. They have subsequently clarified that only one MR account per MVCI ownership is eligible and the account owners can choose which one.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Just received this email...

If this is not the Marriott Rewards account you want upgraded, you may choose another one listed in your membership. Click the "Update Information" button below to make this change prior to February 1, 2017. Any changes made after February 1, 2017 will be saved for the 2018 Marriott Rewards upgrade process.
We hope you enjoy this new benefit!
Sincerely,
Marriott Vacation Club, Owner Services
I am getting more and more frustrated these days with all of the automatic emails with less and less personalization... If MVC had done their homework, they would have seen that I am and have been Platinum the last years and just a few nights away from Lifetime Gold.

What value does this email have? Where are my individual new annual benefits based on what I have already achieved? Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting anything....

I agree with the lack of personalization. The benefit to you may be if you have a spouse and they either do not have a Marriott Rewards account or have not attained Gold Elite status. You can change the MR account number to have this benefit conferred on them instead. This is what we did for my spouse, who had no Marriott Rewards account. As a Lifetime Platinum, the upgrade to Platinum based on my ownership meant nothing to me directly. However, by assigning the benefit to my spouse, when we travel with our children we can stay at the full-service Marriott hotels and access the Concierge Lounge under their member +1 guest policy. One child goes with me and the other can go with her. On the other hand, if you're single and/or don't take advantage of staying at full-service Marriott hotels, I agree with you. The benefit isn't beneficial to you.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I'm Lifetime Plat. They wanted to "upgrade" me to Gold. I declined. Instead, I put in my wife's MR #. She's on the account. Hopefully it will work...