• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Manor Club (MSE) advice

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're staying at Marriott's Manor Club for the first time in a few weeks. We're in a 1BR so we're on the MSE side...any suggestions/preferences on which building to stay in? From the property map Federal Common seems quietest, Jamestown is closest to the main building, and Colonial Commons seems the worst of both worlds - next to the pool and far from the main building. Comments/suggestions would be welcome.

Also...I haven't received a welcome email from them yet. Does anyone have an contact I should use?

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
i don't mind any of the buildings. It's a quiet resort but I suppose your correct about the Federal Commons being the quietest and it is my favorite. If walking is an issue keep in mind that there isn't a lot of parking in front of Federal Commons. However, the whole place is not very big so it's a short walk from any building to the lobby building where you'll find a small eatery/bar and market, fitness center, small theater, kid zone, small pool. I don't have an email address for them so I recommend calling the resort directly.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
We have been there a few times and don't have much preference. As noted by Dave, it is a quiet place, but lovely and very relaxing. The last time I was there I "discovered" that the sidewalk goes a long way into Ford's Colony and is a great walk in the morning or in the evening. Love that place!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both. It sounds like a lovely resort - we're very much looking forward to our stay.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
One of Marriott's most beautiful and relaxing resorts. Not as popular or well known simply because it's not near/on a beach or atop a mountain, but for a wonderful experience it's quite notable.
The villas are consistently rated among Marriott's best, and the most frequent comment is "spacious and beautiful". Plenty to see and do in the area, and the surrounding countryside is spectacular in the Fall. Great restaurants, great shopping, challenging and scenic golf course, many historic attractions, and two fun amusement parks (Busch Gardens and Water Country).

Anyone will have a wonderful time. To the OP, you'll find any building to be about the same, so no worries. Lovely wooded setting, great for walks and biking if you like that sort of thing.

Lansdowne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KoOlina, Sabal Palms, Manor Club, Desert Willow, Kaanapali South, Trust Points
We're staying at Marriott's Manor Club for the first time in a few weeks. We're in a 1BR so we're on the MSE side...any suggestions/preferences on which building to stay in? From the property map Federal Common seems quietest, Jamestown is closest to the main building, and Colonial Commons seems the worst of both worlds - next to the pool and far from the main building. Comments/suggestions would be welcome.

Also...I haven't received a welcome email from them yet. Does anyone have an contact I should use?
We own there and generally stay in the building furthest away from the front when we only use a one bedroom - the building near the checking area are only 2 bedrooms I believe. The building further away usually has the best parking and walking to the main area is not far and a nice walk. Williamsburg has many nice restaurants and at an excellent price point selection. We go to the pricier restaurants for lunch. The Fresh Market store down there is great for food selection and prepared meals. The grocery stores are excellent as well. Don't forget the clubs - 7 rounds for cart fees - I also believe that is available for folks who trade in. The Golf Club burgers are pretty good. Having a decent indoor pool is also very nice.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
If using the large pool is important the middle MSE building is closest to the pool entrance but further away than the first bldg from the resort office across the road. You might like the side facing the pool. Golf views aren't so good in MSE.

IMO the best restaurants are Opus9 and Le Yaka but there are many good ones including some historic ones. Lots of pancake places for some reason too. Food Lion is in the huge outlet mall close by on Richmond...shoppers love this area. Owners get 5 free rounds of golf but you have to rent a cart for the 54 holes. Figure on high heat and humidity.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on in a while, so I hope this isn't too late.

The trick with MSE is to ask for a room farthest from the elevator on the third floor. You may get a decent view from you balcony and you take away all of the foot traffic walking down the halls and above you. Trust me, these buildings are built with on long hall on each floor with rooms across from one another. Early and late there will be doors slamming, kids running around, etc.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on in a while, so I hope this isn't too late.

The trick with MSE is to ask for a room farthest from the elevator on the third floor. You may get a decent view from you balcony and you take away all of the foot traffic walking down the halls and above you. Trust me, these buildings are built with on long hall on each floor with rooms across from one another. Early and late there will be doors slamming, kids running around, etc.

I agree with the above comments third floor farthest from the elevator. The Jamestown Common Bldg third will give you an awesome view of the pool and less noise from the pool. Sit back and enjoy your week in Colonial Williamsburg & VA.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice. I asked for Jamestown and was put into a nice room on the top floor facing the woods. From our 'what it's worth department' I'll note that our villa was two doors down from the elevator and we never heard anyone in the hallway (though we were gone during the daytime).

Our villa and the resort in general was indeed "spacious and beautiful" and the staff was lovely. But unfortunately, the big pool on the sequel side was closed during our stay which was a major disappointment. Also, after our long drive to Manor Club we had planned to have dinner 'on property' our first night but we couldn't because of a series of issues - the 'real' restaurant at the golf club closed early that night, the misnamed 'Bistro' turned out to be a bar with a few 2 seat high tops and they had run out of a lot of items anyway, and we couldn't get frozen food from the Marketplace as their freezer was out of order. Sigh.

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
That is unfortunate that the pool was closed. This would be their busy season. We had that happen the last time we were there but it was April. We were looking forward to using the indoor pool and that whole area was being renovated. I do appreciate how much the Marriott properties keep updating and renovating but it is disappointing when it is happening during one's vacation. Glad you enjoyed manor club though except for those glitches.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ouch, the worst time of year for pool repair.

teddyo333

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana:
Westin Kierland (x2)
WKORV - OV (x2)
Desert Oasis (x6)
Vistana Villages - Bella
Vistana Villages - Key West
Sheraton Broadway Plantation (2BR Lockout)
Marriott:
Marriott Grande Ocean
We just returned from yesterday (8/20/17) after staying a week in a 2 Bedroom Suite in the Chesapeake Manor building. This is our 4th time to the resort and it's still one of our favorites. We were there when the large pool was closed (Thursday to Saturday Morning) due to someone breaking a bottle and some shards landing in the pool. The pool had to be drained, cleaned and re-balanced before placed back in service. My kids were disappointed they couldn't use the pool. It's unfortunate when people don't follow the rules.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from yesterday (8/20/17) after staying a week in a 2 Bedroom Suite in the Chesapeake Manor building. This is our 4th time to the resort and it's still one of our favorites. We were there when the large pool was closed (Thursday to Saturday Morning) due to someone breaking a bottle and some shards landing in the pool. The pool had to be drained, cleaned and re-balanced before placed back in service. My kids were disappointed they couldn't use the pool. It's unfortunate when people don't follow the rules.

The Mgt Team at the Manor Club, "safety come first to all guest." Thanks for closing the pool and doing the right thing. The pool needed to be drained, cleaned and re-balanced before guests could enjoy the pool.
Thanks You.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I had heard about the glass in the MSE pool and think management did what had to be done. As you know there is a smaller pool and an inside pool on the 'office' MMC side and no doubt it was busier than usual during that time, but at least it there was a choice. I've been to another TS where something similar happened but they only had one pool.

Like another poster I'm not pleased with the high chaired bistro 'bar' either, and much preferred the marketplace as it was...but I would think the changes were necessary as the owner association has a history of doing the right thing at the right time (except perhaps the uncomfortable bar). :)

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This situation really should be avoidable though.
Are real glasses and bottles not banned in and immediately adjacent to the pools?
If not, doing so should remove this risk and anyone still using them and causing such a breakage could be fined for the cost and inconvenience to other owners.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Agreed, totally avoidable. Glass is always prohibited in pool areas and many were inconvenienced.

Shauna

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts Oceanwatch at Grande Dunes, Marriotts Ford's Colony
I love every one of them. They all have their different charm. Don't worry. Enjoy.