• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Money questions for Europe

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going in a couple weeks, and have read conflicting information. Our tour material says merchants often require credit card PINs with purchases. Discover says no, tell them the card is signature based. I have not talked to Visa yet. I created a Discover PIN and then found out if it is used for cash advances, a very high interest rate starts immediately. I have no plan to do that.
Debit cards are best for ATMs. And the safest place to get cash is inside a bank.
How about getting euros before the trip? My bank can do it expensively. Any good options? Or just wait until I get there? Should I convert cash or just use an ATM?
Thanks for any help and your experiences.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
2 years ago before our trip to New Zealand and Australia I read that the merchants Down Under required PIN #'s with Credit Cards. So I spent many hours on the telephone and established PIN #'s for the Credit Cards we were taking. Only to discover that The PIN #'s issued in the USA did not work very well Down Under and I ended up signing Credit Slips like in the USA. We always start out trips out of the USA with a couple hundred dollars of local currency in our pockets. But then our Bank provides an Exchange Service for free. But we do have to Order it 3 Business Days before we need it. Once we are out of the USA we resupply local currency from ATM's. Double check with your Bank about Foreign Transaction Fees. Many Credit Unions and some Bank Cards do not have Foreign Transaction Fees. We also noticed during our last trips to France and Scotland that ATM's at large grocery stores did not charge a fee for the use of the ATM.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Use Bank ATM (not stand-alone convenience machines) for cash- at the airport is fine, no need to take expensive Euros. Discover is not widely accepted in Europe. Visa/MC are. Chip cards need a 4 digit PIN. Mag-Stripe are signature cards. Chips are preferable- some places mandatory- like at train ticket kiosks. If you are on a tour, your guide will take care of all that.

Now- SAFETY. No back pocket wallets! Get one of those thin ones that hold just a couple of cards (don't carry all of them you have together) and some cash in a front pocket. Avoid crowds. Watch the people around you as much as the scenery/point of interest. If someone looks 'suspicious' walk away from them. Don't obsess about this, petit theft- pickpockets and card scams- are the bigger threat.

Most of all- HAVE FUN and enjoy the experience.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 years ago before our trip to New Zealand and Australia I read that the merchants Down Under required PIN #'s with Credit Cards. So I spent many hours on the telephone and established PIN #'s for the Credit Cards we were taking. Only to discover that The PIN #'s issued in the USA did not work very well Down Under
Not sure how helpful anecdotal information from a trip to the other side of the world 2 years ago is for a trip to Europe today, but OK. IF the OP is on a tour, they probably won't be regularly visiting 'large grocery stores', and those ATMs are not customarily 'BANK' ATMs, which would be governed by the user's card agreement as to user or foreign transaction fee. FWIW, Capitol One (and USAA) cards don't incur the 1% foreign transaction fee. Some other cards reimburse these fees after the fact.

Jim

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize my mouse, obviously sensitive, created two posts. So the rest of you, please respond in the other thread. Thank you!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on which part of Europe. Just got back ftom Spain, France and Italy on a cruise, followed by 8 nights on land in Italy. Merchants in all 3 countries accepted the chip cc and no PINs needed. We used our cc wherever we could. The main issue we had was in Italy where we used taxis extensively and it was a pure cash system. We exchanged 900 Euros prior to our trip and used 700 Euros cash for our trip. We did some farmers market shopping which also required cash. We did alot of excursions and also needed alot of small change for tipping. In Italy if you want to tip a waiter, you must also use cash.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
EXCUSE ME . I should have added the following - What you hear or read from Travel Sites may not be accurate. Check with someone that has actually recently been to the same locations. I did not think anyone would take my experience as gospel for the whole world today.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Use Bank ATM (not stand-alone convenience machines) for cash- at the airport is fine, no need to take expensive Euros. Discover is not widely accepted in Europe. Visa/MC are. Chip cards need a 4 digit PIN. Mag-Stripe are signature cards. Chips are preferable- some places mandatory- like at train ticket kiosks. If you are on a tour, your guide will take care of all that.
Chip cards are not necessarily pin. Most US based chip cards are Chip+Signature. You don't need a pin associated with the card to use it in Europe. The machine will recognize that the transaction requires a signature and print a slip to be signed. We did it many times while using our credit card in Europe last year. The main places that require Chip and PIN are train ticket kiosks or completely automated transaction (no human). I think you had the concept right, but just stated it wrong.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I can't relax unless we have some foreign currency in our pockets ahead of time, so unless we have cash left over from a previous trip I order it from our bank or AAA. Don't care what it costs, it leaves us prepared when we arrive at our destination. We never use an ATM at home and always go together a month or so before our trip to make sure we remember the ATM codes for our business account in case the home account freezes up for some reason. We've learned the hard way to take out odd amounts at foreign ATMS to be sure not to be presented with large bills (280 euros instead of 300). They don't always ask what denominations you want and we found ourselves with three 100 euro bills and the train station not letting us pay for tickets (with a human) with large bills. Then we walked into a bank near Paris, only to find they didn't have cash at all, but they directed us to the post office where we stood for nearly an hour to get rid of the big bills.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I used to worry about having cash in hand when we landed, but I don't anymore. The ATM's and money changers in the airports are more--but not any more than your bank will charge you ahead of time, and probably less. We just stop and get a bit of money and then get our major amounts from banks after we get there.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I've bought train tickets from machines in Italy and UK with my US chip-and-signature cards; but they do have completely unmanned fuel stations that won't accept them, or cash either. But there are always other stations. Otherwise no problems.

There will be ATMs in whatever terminal you arrive in. However, if you're being picked up, or are part of a group tour, or there is some other thing going on where you may be herded from arrival to ground transportation, you might want to have €100 or so just for comfort.

In the US, ATMs dispense twenties almost exclusively. In Europe, they tend to use 50 and 20, and sometimes 10, and different machines do it differently. If you ask for 100, you might get two 50's, or 50-20-20-10, or 5 20's. I had one machine that was out of everything but 50's on a Sunday evening. I mention this because just like at home, 50's are not appreciated for a €9 taxi ride or a coffee. I often ask the machine for €80 or €90 so I don't get more than one 50.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Chip cards need a 4 digit PIN.

Actually, there are actually two types of chip cards... chip+PIN and chip+signature. Except for a few small banks, the U.S. ones do not issue chip+PIN, just chip+signature (we are woefully provincial).

My experience from a recent trip to Iceland, Denmark and other Baltic countries... Most merchants accept chip+signature cards, particularly in tourist zones. Merchant's chip readers allow you sign on the machine or spit out a slip to sign. Small amounts may not require verification. If you need a train ticket, either buy it online or go to the ticket counter. They prolly won't work in automated kiosks, but my chip+signature card was never declined when dealing with a live person.

I like to have some foreign currency when I land. I use Oanda - www.oanda.com/products/fxdelivery/ - but if you have a Wells Fargo account, they have slightly better rates. You can prolly find a bank ATM at the airport, but my policy is to check-in, rest up and then explore.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I'd also advise calling your credit card companies and telling them the dates and locations of your trip. When I drive from San Diego to Phoenix, one of my credit card cos will sometimes decline until I call them and tell them that it's okay.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have notified them, but Visa didn't even care to know. That old chip is all the protection I need, they say. Unless they freeze the account and I have to call them to clear it up!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have notified them, but Visa didn't even care to know. That old chip is all the protection I need, they say. Unless they freeze the account and I have to call them to clear it up!
I usually report travel plans through my providers website/account. You don't report it to Visa, but to Chase, Citi or Capital One for example. If you have online access, there is a mechanism to report travel plans, at least there is for Chase as we just used them for our trip to Mexico and last year for Europe.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'd also advise calling your credit card companies and telling them the dates and locations of your trip. When I drive from San Diego to Phoenix, one of my credit card cos will sometimes decline until I call them and tell them that it's okay.

You can prolly do this online. My CC's have a webpage where you can record this info.

Tamino

Reaction score
As I use a US credit card in Europe almost every day, I´d like to clear up some confusion.

Most of the US credit cards are now chip & signature. A few banks do issue chip & PIN cards.
Chip & signature cards may or may not have PINs. This depends upon the card issuing bank. The PIN has two potential uses:
  1. to approve a cash advance if the card is placed into an ATM (generally not a good idea as fees are very high)
  2. to authorize a purchase at an unmanned point-of-sale such as ticket kiosk, toll booth, or pay-at-the-pump fuel stations.
Chip & signature cards always default to signature required at manned sales locations such as restaurants, hotels, or stores. Chip & PIN cards always require a PIN to complete a sale, signatures are never required. Chip & PIN cards are accepted everywhere. Whether or not you use a PIN is not your option; PIN use and card type are determined by the card issuing bank.

There is a lot of misconception about chip & signature card use at unmanned points-of-sale. Some chip & signature cards will not be accepted at unmanned locations; others will. There are two primary reasons:

1. Purchases without verification
  2. PIN type, off-line vs. on-line
Elsewhere, as in the USA, small purchases with a credit card can be made without verification or without a PIN. The threshold amount, or the sales amount under which a PIN will not be required, is set by the card issuing bank. This threshold amount is typically somewhere under $100. In Europe, just like in the US, purchases for small amounts made at unmanned sales locations, such as ticket kiosks, will be approved without your needing a PIN.

At unmanned sales locations, purchases above the bank´s no verification threshold will require a PIN. Most US cards use on-line PINs, meaning that the PIN entry by the user is compared to an on-line data base containing the user´s PIN information. If you are able to change your PIN by simply contacting your bank, you have an on-line PIN. This on-line verification is also one of the reasons why check out times have increased for those using PINs at US points-of-sale.

Chip & PIN cards have the PIN burned into the chip. There is no on-line verification. Commonly referred to as off-line cards, some US chip & signature cards are issued PINs which are also burned into the chip. Changing the PIN requires changing the card. Many unmanned points-of-sale in Europe have no means to check PIN entries on line. There is no compelling reason for vendors to go to the expense of on-line verification because the bulk of their customers have chip & PIN cards with off-line PINs.

If you attempt to purchase gas at a pay-at-the-pump location in Europe, and you have a credit card with an on-line PIN, your card will be rejected before you can lift the fuel nozzle. If you have a card with an off-line PIN, chances are very good that you will leave the station with a full tank of fuel.

Ideally, for the widest possible acceptance of your credit card while traveling outside of the USA, you want a chip & signature card with an off-line PIN; unless of course you just happen to bank where chip & PIN cards are available.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually report travel plans through my providers website/account. You don't report it to Visa, but to Chase, Citi or Capital One for example. If you have online access, there is a mechanism to report travel plans, at least there is for Chase as we just used them for our trip to Mexico and last year for Europe.
I wish! I called Capital One and it was automated. I went to the website twice. They don't want/need to know I am traveling! If they become suspicious of my purchases, it will be more of a hassle than if I could have just notified them ahead of time....

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I wish! I called Capital One and it was automated. I went to the website twice. They don't want/need to know I am traveling! If they become suspicious of my purchases, it will be more of a hassle than if I could have just notified them ahead of time....

I noticed that. With C-1, if they can reach by cell phone, you'll prolly get a text message to which you can reply, but that's after the fact. I once had a card declined at The Carlton in Cannes, France. Very embarrassing.

For that and other reasons, I recommend carrying at least two cards from different banks. You should also have a card that not the same as your travel companion (spouse). When my DW's wallet was nicked outside Buckingham palace, I had a different card we could still use.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
AmEx is the same, at least as far as not having to call in about travel plans. Their explanation is that they are already aware of your travel plans because they know of your having flight reservations and/or hotel reservations (even if you haven't used their card). I will add I never had problems with the AmEx card even when I haven't called in.

As far as the claim that you don't have to report your plans if you use a VISA card, I have had transactions turned down on a US trip to a different state using my VISA card. Luckily I had a second card. Afterwards, I called VISA and was okay after that. Perhaps it depends on who your VISA card is issued by.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
AmEx is the same, at least as far as not having to call in about travel plans.
Several years ago now, I called AmEx to tell them about a trip to Paris. The agent was very nice, but what she said amounted to: "Sir, if you're the sort of person who might legitimately find himself in Paris, we already know that." In other words, it's not that they know what your specific travel plans might be, but that their profile of you is detailed enough to not need to know.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Same for American Express.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you going to Italy? You are going to need some Euros dollars.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recommend carrying at least two cards from different banks. You should also have a card that not the same as your travel companion (spouse). When my DW's wallet was nicked outside Buckingham palace, I had a different card we could still use.

This is good, smart card management for any couples' travel, international or not.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recommend carrying at least two cards from different banks. You should also have a card that not the same as your travel companion (spouse). When my DW's wallet was nicked outside Buckingham palace, I had a different card we could still use.

Smart card management here.