• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Moutainside Resort at Stowe

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
Hi All,

I'm looking at exchanging into this resort in Jan 2018. The reviews on Tug are all about 5+ years old. Does anyone who has stayed here recently have any opinions. I'm looking at either a 2 bedroom or a 3 bedroom. We're going to be anywhere from 3-6 people. The reviews on RCI are at both extremes, 1 star or 4 star.

Jeff C

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Look on Trip Advisor also. I know it is an older resort. Never stayed there so can;t comment on it.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I've only driven past....but I know there are lots of stairs to most of the units. The units are truly built on the side of a hill, and the only access to some upper units is a ton of stairs. (Not a big deal for my family, but it would be for some folks.) The location of this place is nice, too...just outside of Stowe, and not far from the bike/walking path. We've always figured that if we were going to this part of VT, we'd just as soon stay at Smuggs, which is why we haven't tried Mountainside. Let us know what you think if you go!

Lou

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've only driven past....but I know there are lots of stairs to most of the units. The units are truly built on the side of a hill, and the only access to some upper units is a ton of stairs. (Not a big deal for my family, but it would be for some folks.) The location of this place is nice, too...just outside of Stowe, and not far from the bike/walking path. We've always figured that if we were going to this part of VT, we'd just as soon stay at Smuggs, which is why we haven't tried Mountainside. Let us know what you think if you go!

Lou

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed there maybe 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. The bedrooms are small and bathrooms even smaller, so I'd get the largest unit you can. The living room area was nice and kitchen was narrow, but adequate. Our unit had a great deck. There were a fair amount of steps leading up to the unit, it just depends where you are. It's in a good location to town...I definitely would stay there again.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
Thank you all. The Trip advisor reviews are similar to the RCI reviews; some very good, others very unhappy about the cleanliness and wear of the units. I was curious whether exchangers and renters were accessing different units. I would imagine that an exchange thru DAE would be into another owners unit. With RCI it could from a bulk deposit, which may be used for renters also. We stayed at Bolton Valley this past January. The units there were renovated 2 years ago and there is an elevator. We had been staying in the Berkshire's prior to that, but the lack of snow was becoming a problem. I am looking at either a 2 or 3 bedroom. The drive from Long Island to Bolton Valley was under 6 hrs and its predominantly on the interstates, Stowe would be a little less. I am thinking of expanding my search into New Hampshire.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Did you try Smugglers Notch? Also-in NH, try Innseason Pollard Brook, though some of the buildings are older, you have the shuttle to Loon. Or just try Loon. Or South Mountain or Riverwalk.

Bwolf

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in Stowe now, staying at Trapp. We have an exchange to Mountainside next February. We drove through yesterday and stopped to check it out. The building we will be in has the parking at the top. Those on the top floor are on level ground with the parking lot. We are one floor down, so we have a few stairs. The answer to stairs is asking for assistance and paying a healthy tip for it. It is what we do at Trapp and what we may do at Mountainside next year. We've already asked and learned that there are staff members available to provide it.

HTH

Luvstotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own here, and love it. They always give us a bigger room when we're here, they said that's routine for owners, though. We love the Stowe area, and my husband is excited that he can now walk to The Alchemist's new place to buy his Heady Topper beer! Lol.

We like the area so much that we're thinking of buying a condo here when we retire. Yes, there's potentially a lot of steps to your unit, but that doesn't bother us. So much to do in the area.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
J
We own here, and love it. They always give us a bigger room when we're here, they said that's routine for owners, though. We love the Stowe area, and my husband is excited that he can now walk to The Alchemist's new place to buy his Heady Topper beer! Lol.

We like the area so much that we're thinking of buying a condo here when we retire. Yes, there's potentially a lot of steps to your unit, but that doesn't bother us. So much to do in the area.

We love Vermont and I would love to retire there. But the taxes are high. Vermont taxes your social security income. They tax your estate. The property taxes are somewhat high. The sales tax and general income tax-high.

You might want to reconsider- unless maybe this will just be a second home for you.

Heck- we live in tax hell hole New York and even New York does not tax your social security income or estate essentially. In NY, they do give some property tax breaks for seniors as well, though the property taxes are still high here. In Vermont- you won't get any property tax breaks.

This is why people leave Vermont in droves. I was so disappointed when I found all this out. Rated one of the worst states to retire in.

Last edited:

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
J

We love Vermont and I would love to retire there. But the taxes are high. Vermont taxes your social security income. They tax your estate. The property taxes are somewhat high. The sales tax and general income tax-high.

You might want to reconsider- unless maybe this will just be a second home for you.

Heck- we live in tax hell hole New York and even New York does not tax your social security income or estate essentially. In NY, they do give some tax breaks for seniors as well, though the property taxes are still high here. In Vermont- you won't get any property tax breaks.

This is why people leave Vermont in droves. I was so disappointed when I found all this out. Rated one of the worst states to retire in.

This is exactly why we're going to leave VT when we retire - in addition to the dreary weather (not the cold - we love winter but hate the gloom).