• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Survey

Jay924

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

My name is Joel and I have been lurking in the shadows of this forum for a while, but a recent visit to Bonnet Creek made me realize that I need to become an active member. We are a family of six that live 25 minutes outside of New Orleans. My wife loves Mardi Gras season and would be easier to have somewhere to stay and maybe pay less in parking. My son will be 21 in December and would eventually travel with his girlfriend on his own. My oldest daughter cheers in an all-star team which takes us in at least five out of town competitions and we end the season at Disney in April/May for either Worlds or Summit. We usually go to the beach (Orange Beach, Destin, or Panama City Beach) trip during the summer and the cycle repeats again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? New Orleans or Orlando

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Visit my home resort at least half the time

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Louisiana - New Orleans

Florida – Destin, Panama City Beach, Orlando

Alabama – Orange Beach

Tennessee – Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Nashville

Nevada - Las Vegas

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

Most of the time will be at least 5, but occasionally me and my wife.

5) Can you travel anytime, or are you locked into the school schedule? Depends if the kids are going or not.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more months in advance? Yes, in most cases.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? Depending on kids schedule

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 3 to 4

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? $10,000

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $1,600

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? For the most part

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes, I do.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
I find it interesting that on a "recent visit" came to the realization that you "need" to become a member. With most of the destinations you outlined, the possibility of renting is greater than being locked into MF's that will increase, along with a cash out lay for ownership.
Understanding (I think) your reasoning, unless you would be looking forward to just you and your wife enjoying a TS more than having the kids with you. You would need at least a 2 BDR. most have a fold out allowing for sleeping of 6. 3BDRS. are out there but hard to come by, or even to trade into. In that a 2BDR. in all probability won't get a 3BDR. on a trade.
At 3 to 4 stars you would be looking at the higher end of offerings, such as Hilton, Hyatt, there are others also that offer that level. I would stay away from floating weeks, which means you would have a window say 2/3 mo. in which to use your week, another is points, which could cost an ungodly amount of points/money to purchase. There are people who swear by points, but didn't seem right for our situation. The next would be DEEDED, which means you own that week in a specific unit, YR after YR, or can be on a every other YR. odd or even(we own both) which worked for us. You a limited window in any option to either reserve or trade, and depending on what you buy into as with us we have the abilty to deposit into II for trades in many places, all subject to availability with a window to use the points for 3 yrs.
Should you decide to jump in the pool, rent first. You can find owners here and on Red Week, you may be interested in. Should you find one, BUY RESALE....the way things are going now days you lose some benefits verses, developer perks. Do your home work, ask questions, and of in terms of you and your wife. As we all know the kids will go there own way when their families come along. GOOD LUCK .......KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS

Last edited:

Jay924

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess "should" would have been better instead of "need." I was able to use information from this forum while at Bonnet Creek and I must thank TUG forum for not getting swooned into a 90-minute presentation or worst buying retail. I also disconnected the phones as soon as I walked through the doors of the unit.:thumbup: The disheartening fact of the stay is that as sts1732 mentioned, I can rent a 3BDR unit at Bonnet Creek cheaper than I could own it. I do plan on renting a few more Wyndham properties this summer to get a feel for a total number of points required vs. actual rental cost and see if owning would make sense. But, that doesn't solve my New Orleans dilemma. Last Mardi Gras season, I spent over $450 just in parking fees to watch the parades. The idea of owning a TS on St. Charles Ave. or Tchoupitoulas would be great. Get a place to hang out, cook, catch the parades, and did I mention having access to a bathroom. After reading the last sentence, some of you will probably think that I am off my rocker that I would be willing to pay MFs for a bathroom and you may be right. You could say my wife and I really get into the spirit of "laissez bon temps rouler" and although we have been living here close to 10 years, it doesn't get old.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
The disheartening fact of the stay is that as sts1732 mentioned, I can rent a 3BDR unit at Bonnet Creek cheaper than I could own it.
That is likely to change beginning Monday, at least for the most part, due to some changes in the Wyndham reservation system.

Last edited:

Here There

TUG Member
Reaction score
...But, that doesn't solve my New Orleans dilemma. Last Mardi Gras season, I spent over $450 just in parking fees to watch the parades. The idea of owning a TS on St. Charles Ave. or Tchoupitoulas would be great. Get a place to hang out, cook, catch the parades, and did I mention having access to a bathroom. After reading the last sentence, some of you will probably think that I am off my rocker that I would be willing to pay MFs for a bathroom and you may be right. You could say my wife and I really get into the spirit of "laissez bon temps rouler" and although we have been living here close to 10 years, it doesn't get old...
I too love visiting NOLA esp during Mardi Gras -- there's something about the festive spirit, music, food, and an embracing sense of community which I find as a perfect antidote to the wnter blahs.

I have been lucky the past 2 years to have gotten rooms 60 days out at Avenue Plaza on St Charles through Worldmark's waitlist, which coupled with FF air miles made the trips very budget friendly. The resort is right smack on the parade route, features amenities eg a gym, pool & spa and an ideal spot to hang out, cook, watch the multi-hour parades from a balcony, as well as take napping and bathroom breaks. During MG I prefer staying there to the TSs in the French Quarter because I like rouler les bon temps with locals instead of drunken tourists. [A note on parking: there's ample (safe) street parking on St Charles west of the parade route. Or south of Armstrong Park.]

The WM membership that I bought 3 years ago was a minimal 5,000 credit level -- for $1500 ($500mf) -- to spice up a portfolio that allowed me to go when & where I want without needing to exchange. I've owned TSs for almost 25 years and was fairly set in my ways. So it was a most pleasant surprise to be shaken up by this small ownership with its liberal booking, cancellation and waitlisting policies, a bounty of cash rentals, as well as being a strong trader. Instead of plunking down $10k on something that might not hit the exact spot, you might want to begin by just paying a small admission in order to sample the TS smorgasbord first. Bon appetit!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We own a NOLA Mardi Gras week for many of the reasons you mentioned :)

If that's really what you want I suggest creating a few auto searches on eBay and redweek and here at tug marketplace as well as a regular google search with very specific terms for what you want and just play the waiting game. Rent from Ron til you can buy what you want :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk