• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help on which resort to confirm in Maui ASAP

bengates2860

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to chose between a studio unit at the Kahana Beach Resort or a one bedroom unit at Maui Banyan Vacation Club. There are only two of us.

Have not been to either resort. I have just 24 hours to decide. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It may depend on which area of the island you want to stay in. Kahana Beach Resort is above Lahaina and Kaanapali, while Maui Banyan Vacation Club is in Kihei. We own at Maui Hill in Kihei, so I'm somewhat prejudiced about location. Also would you be more comfortable in a studio, or one bedroom?

In taking a quick look it seems like the studio has a small (efficiency) kitchen and no washer/dryer in the unit (there is laundry on site). The one bedroom has a full kitchen and a washer/dryer in the unit.

If it was me, I'd take the one bedroom in Kihei. :thumbup: But, I haven't stayed at either one of these either.

Last edited:

bengates2860

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should decide what area I would prefer to stay in. Also I would probably take the one bedroom all things being equal, since the studio has a murphy bed in it I think.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should decide what area I would prefer to stay in. Also I would probably take the one bedroom all things being equal, since the studio has a murphy bed in it I think.
I'm not sure if you posted this before, or after, I added the update with the kitchen and washer/dryer information.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Ka'anapali location if the units were equal, but if one Kihei is a full 1BR and the other is a studio with a murphy bed, it's a no brainer. Take the 1BR.

bengates2860

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am leaning towards the one bedroom. Both resorts are managed by the same company. It also seems that they are about the same mid range quality. It would still be nice to hear from any Tugger that has stayed in either or both units. I have until tomorrow night to decide.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Good luck. It may be difficult to find someone who has stayed in both of those exact timeshares, and in a studio and one bedroom. I've stayed in both areas, but not those particular timeshares. My first couple of visits I stayed in the Kaanapali area, but then got a trade into Kihei in 1985 and 1986. We had traded into Maui Hill in 1986 and liked it so much we bought there.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you pick up any advice in TUG reviews, or on Trip Advisor?

dreamin

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just returned from Maui and stayed in Kihei. I've stayed in both areas but not at the resorts you are considering. Maui has major traffic issues. One day we drove to the Ka'anapali area and it took us l l/2 hours to drive 20 miles! It was stop and start traffic the whole distance and there was no accident or any other reason for the delay...just a whole lot of cars. For that reason I would always stay in Kihei. Kihei isn't an up-scale resort area if that is important to you but the luxurious area of Wailea is just up the road.

taffy19

Reaction score
I am leaning towards the one bedroom. Both resorts are managed by the same company. It also seems that they are about the same mid range quality. It would still be nice to hear from any Tugger that has stayed in either or both units. I have until tomorrow night to decide.
We like both locations so are of no help to you. Ka'anapali is a resort area so very manicured while Kihei is where the local people live and work so not a touristy area.

Kihei has three public beaches where there is free parking and the Wailea area has also some very nice beaches and coves. Kihei is more centrally located to go sightseeing to the Haleakala Crater or to Hana as well as to and from the airport. You cannot go wrong with either one location so it depends on what unit you prefer of the two.

Chilcotin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at both but we have gone back to the Maui Banyan for the last four years.

If you are pool people the pool at Kahana Beach is terrible. The Banyan has two nice pools with a hot shower.

One of the nicest beaches in Maui is across the street from the Banyan. The beach in front of Kahana is okay...has lots of big sea turtles.

But if you want OCEANFRONT Kahana Beach is for you. I was told it is the closest oceanfront hotel on the entire island of Maui because when it was built the building codes being that close to the ocean were different then they are now. You open your lanai door and hear the crashing waves all night. (We were on the first floor). About half of the timeshare units in The Banyan have a parking lot view so definitely call to request a garden,pool view room if you decide to stay there.

Both are clean, comfortable hotels.

There is a bypass road to Kahului from Kihei if needed but Kihei has everything and Wailea is about a ten minute drive.

Also depending on what month you go the weather in Kihei is sunnier and drier.

The parking at Kahana Beach is terrible whereas the Banyan has a nice parking garage.

This website might help. You will see in the picture of the Kahana Beach how close it is to the water.

https://www.soleilmanagement.com/properties_listings.aspx

We head back to the Banyan for the fifth year in a row in November.

bengates2860

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great advise. Sounds like Maui is not that laid back. I think I am just going to let the hold's expire and switch gears. I am a scuba diver and just put on hold a week a Divi in Bonaire(supposed to be some of the best diving in the world). So that may be my new location as I was able to get tickets using United miles. So, Its over the the Carribbean part of the board.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks for all of the great advise. Sounds like Maui is not that laid back. I think I am just going to let the hold's expire and switch gears. I am a scuba diver and just put on hold a week a Divi in Bonaire(supposed to be some of the best diving in the world). So that may be my new location as I was able to get tickets using United miles. So, Its over the the Carribbean part of the board.
I'm not sure what you mean by Maui not being laid back. What exactly are you looking for? We find it very relaxing, slow paced, and yes laid back.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
If you are looking to dive, you want the Big Island. Maui isn't the island for great diving anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk