• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help using points

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
So I can use my points the expire 12/17 to book now for 2/17?

Yes, you can use your 2017 club points to book a 2018 reservation, however, you'll need to 'Save' your club points into 2018. There is a fee to save current year points into the following year. You can call HGVC to save the points and that will cost you $109, or you can do it online for $99.

Keep in mind that you cannot combine your bonus points with your club points. Based on your original post, you'll have 4,200pts in 2018 and 6,600pts to book a vacation in 2018. Not 10,800pts.

In a different thread, someone mentioned that HGVC now offers a way to combine club points and bonus points, for a fee. You should call HGVC to confirm if that is a viable option.

Hope this helps.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
This is not always true. Sometimes it is a better deal to make a reservation via RCI. For years I used RCI to exchange back into my home resort--mainly the Bay Club in Hawaii. A 1 bdrm is 4800 points. If I exchange back into my resort I can get a 2 bedroom for 4800 points. If I make that 2 bedroom reservation via HGVC it would cost me 7000 points.

Yes I have to pay an exchange fee of $230 (use to be $169 when I started) but I would have to pay $59 for this club reservation since a 2 bedroom would not be my home week so the real difference is $171. There are no other fees. The other RCI fees are if you bank/deposit your point into the RCI system and if you extend them.

So for $171 or $25 a night I get a second bedroom in Hawaii. That is a much better deal than if I had to use an additional 2200 points.
The only problem is the 1 in 4 rule for exchanges. Owners at bay club used to be exempt from the 1 in 4 rule. Is this still the case?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
For the bonus points, I agree with @CalGalTraveler, book past the expiration date in HGVC system. Just don't cancel that reservation. Actually, FA-Los Cabo would be a wonderful trip.

How do you book past expiration date? I have 2016 points that i saved into this year but i have to book a reservation that ends in this year. I cant make a reservation with those points for a stay in march of 2018. Just wondering as i could use those pointa for a stay and not lose them.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Expiring bonus points are handled differently than club; you can put the points in RCI before they expire for a fee to use in the next 2 years, or book direct in RCI before or beyond the expiration date and avoid the fee.

You can also convert to HHonors prior to expiration if that is a more desirable option.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
How do you book past expiration date?

That option is limited to Bonus Points only. Saved points go poof on 12/31/17.
Booking an RCI stay for a future year does not draw saved points. 12/31 is a firm date.
I had thought it would, but found out that I was <cough> wrong.

There is only one way to use them in a future year:
Deposit them into the RCI Program for use in 2018 and may extend once more for 2019.

You cannot convert saved points to HHonors anymore. Quoting HGVC:
"Saved Points are no longer eligible for conversion to Hilton Honors Points...
You may continue to convert current-year and borrowed Points at the current
ratio into Hilton Honors Points only when you secure a hotel reservation at the
time of conversion..."

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have tried to book several things and everything in full.
You do need to check every day for cancellations. It's actually pretty rare that I can't get a reservation that I want.

You can also call in and ask for help with your expiring points. They will give you a run down of all of your options.

marinskas

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is only one way to use them in a future year:
Deposit them into the RCI Program for use in 2018 and may extend once more for 2019.

How does this work and how much it costs. Also - once deposited into RCI - what are the chances to reserve a decent property? Is the available selection different that if straight exchanging HGVC to RCI?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
How does [depositing saved points to RCI] work and how much it costs. Also - once deposited into RCI - what are the chances to reserve a decent property? Is the available selection different that if straight exchanging HGVC to RCI?

You can do this online thru the members' website or by calling in...
Saved Points to RCI Deposit – Phone $109 / Online $99
Extend [Previously] Deposited Points - $129

But the better practice is not to save points at all - for which there's a fee.
Rather to use 'em in the year to which allotted and borrow - for no fee.
'Tis better a borrower than a saver be.

Reserving a decent RCI property: It depends on what you consider decent.
Screen for gold or silver crown resorts, and you'll find the cream of the crop.