• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Help Wit Trade for Summer of 2018

gtannenb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All. I need some advice / guidance on how best to find a 2 bedroom timeshare in southern CA, preferably by the water. I am available any time from the end of June to the end of August. Kids want to do the Disney thing as well as possibly LA and Hollywood. I don't mind driving as I know resorts are limited in CA.

Some history. I have 2 weeks based timeshares that are always banked and traded on RCI. One is 16 points and the other is 17. Currently I have 98 points banked. 33 points will expire in September 2018.

In the past, I always set up a ongoing trade against my banked timeshares and when something was found, I would trade however many units I needed for the points necessary. Now it seems that I have to combine my weeks first before I can do a search for more than 17 points. Is this correct?

If that is the case, my next dilemma is, how many weeks do I combine as I do not know what will be available, if anything. I know summer is hard to find a trade in southern CA. I've gone off season in the past and that was usually tough.

So my question is, do you think I can find a 2 bedroom timeshare in southern CA sometime between the end of June to the end of August? Also, if so, how many points do you think it will cost? I don't want to add too many timeshares together as RCI told me the unused points will expire in September 2018, the point when the oldest will expire.

I know this is not set in stone but hoping someone has experience in this.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
What you're trying to accomplish won't be easy since you're flying right into the face of the absolute peak season in Southern California. That said, you're smart to start early. My suggestion is to put in an ongoing request for anything in Los Angeles or Orange Counties and see what comes up. You're unlikely to get a top-level resort, but because you're starting early, I think your chances of getting something are good.

You might also consider an ongoing request for San Diego County as well, but the drive to Disney, LA, and Hollywood would be pretty severe. SoCal traffic is notoriously awful--and that alone could ruin a nice family vacation. That said, there are lots of great things to do in the San Diego area (San Diego Zoo, many attractions at Balboa Park, Legoland, etc.)

Good luck!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Do you absolutely need a 2 bedroom or just a unit that sleeps 6? If it's the latter then put your ongoing request for min occupancy, not size because there are a handful of resorts with special units that are technically 1 bedrooms but that sleep 6 people. I'm thinking for instance, San Clemente Inn has two types of one-bedroom units. One type sleeps 4 with a queen bed and sofa bed, the other sleeps 6 with a queen bed, sofa bed, and two twin murphy beds. That's a silver crown resort and you can probably get in with 33 TPU during Summer. With 98 points you won't have trouble finding something. But if you want to be the most economical about it then try searching just using those 33 that will expire in Sept '18. And yes, you will have to combine weeks. You will most likely not be able to find anything suitable for only 17 TPU at that time of year unless you want to go inland to Palm Springs or something (which I don't recommend during Summer because it's super hot).

Of course you could go another route and simply rent. Look at what's currently available. There's an Anaheim week listed for this Summer right now in the TUG bargain deals. There might be one posted next year same time. And on Redweek I saw SoCal weeks available for about a grand. I am renting a week this Summer that I'm paying only 850 for. My week only sleeps 4 people but still. If I added up my MF plus the exchange fees or RCI then renting is a better deal.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Be careful combining tpu points, you can only search out one year from the combine date.

I got bit by this recently, could see one and two bedrooms 15 months out but didn't have enough tpu for a two bedroom (2 short). Once I did a combine, couldn't see any of them! I was able to cancel the transaction and then book the one bedroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful combining tpu points, you can only search out one year from the combine date.

I got bit by this recently, could see one and two bedrooms 15 months out but didn't have enough tpu for a two bedroom (2 short). Once I did a combine, couldn't see any of them! I was able to cancel the transaction and then book the one bedroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same thing happened to me shortly after RCI combine rules. Moral of the story is, don't put all of your eggs in one basket and be very mindful of expiration dates.

Perhaps you could somehow work out a direct (or somewhat indirect) trade with a tug owner.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
You might also consider an ongoing request for San Diego County as well, but the drive to Disney, LA, and Hollywood would be pretty severe. SoCal traffic is notoriously awful--and that alone could ruin a nice family vacation.
We have stayed in Carlsbad and did a day trip to Disneyland. The traffic wasn't bad at all -- went on a Tuesday and there was a little traffic there and none on the way back. Just a little over an hour drive each way.

Kurt

humor_monger

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out Capistrano Surfside Inn and Riviera Beach Resort (Diamond). They are across the highway from the ocean and an easy drive to Disneyland. Also look at Trading Places.

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Even though you have to combine and will only see 1 year out, you can pay to extend your deposits too. If you combine on August 1, you can see through the end of August 2018. If you only want 1 week, I would combine enough to get about 50 points (if you want 2 weeks, do two combos so you can run 2 searches).

I think driving in SoCal is relevant. I'm from Phoenix and used to driving 30+ minutes in freeway traffic regularly. I have no problem driving between Anaheim and San Diego and all the resorts in between.

That being said, I recently spent a few weeks at Capistrano Surfside Inn, and Dana Point was a great half-way point between Anaheim and Carlsbad. Riviera Beach Resort is right next door. They are both across the street from the beach.

Lawrence Welk (resort villas and villas on the green) is inland Carlsbad, but still only 30 minutes from the beach or so. It's pretty easy to get and my kids love it. The resort villas are large 2 bedrooms and I had a 4th of July week for 33 points 3 years ago. This fall, I have one for 15 points.

This July-August, we're staying in SoCal and everything was booked in October when some bulk deposits hit (I had ongoing searches I had just set up). Grand Pacific Palisades 2 and 3 bedrooms were 44-46 points, Carlsbad Seapointe 1 bedroom was 38, and San Clemente Inn 1 bedroom (sleeps 6) was 28.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
It's a long haul to la from welk in San Diego. We flew into lax and just got a hotel for 2 days in la to do Disney and Hollywood. Then went to welk. Our family loved it at welk. We also needed a 2br for 7 and for summer this was the best fit we could do. We did say trips to sd zoo battleship beach missions Carlsbad.