• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Hilton Timeshare planned for Maui

danb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, for all you Maui lovers out there in tug land, Hilton has finally done it. Announced today on the Star advisor that Hilton will be building a new 300 million time share in Kehei Maui. Looking forward to exchanging into that one but I'm sure it will be under the higher point structure. :banana::cheer:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Wow, Never thought this would actually happen. I thought Maui had closed down so many other plans.

So we shall see.

I hope it frees up some of the demand on HHV. But the new tower there should help as well.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Wow, Never thought this would actually happen. I thought Maui had closed down so many other plans.

So we shall see.

I hope it frees up some of the demand on HHV. But the new tower there should help as well.
Wow, salespeople in July said they were planning development on Maui and I thought they were blowing smoke since they've been hinting at that since 2006. Pleasant surprise. Kauai next?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I'm very happy to see this -- Kihei is a charming beach town and I've had many happy trips there to the Worldmark timeshare down off Kamaole Beach 1.

This is a good spot for an HGVC property and, like others, I'd not expected HGVC to expand to Maui. Kihei is a logical (and well-chosen) spot.

My opinion is that this should be consistent with traditional points pricing since the construction costs aren't there. It will be interesting to see what develops. [Edit: Based on subsequent posts, I now think they will price similar to Park City]

I'm sure other TUGgers will be there before me, but if not, I promise pictures from the Maui Lu in June 2015!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pretty impressive looking property http://binged.it/1r5LhNE

Wonder if they'll divert Kihei Rd to avoid a road separating the resort from the beach.

Anyone know what the beach is like there?

I'm guessing this will be a low rise development (like Kingsland) given building codes in South Maui.

Any guesses on when HGVC will start selling pre-construction? I'll be up for an "upgrade" in 2016, so may be interesting, esp. given demand @ the 9-mos window for the only HGVC resort in Maui.

Not promising review of existing resort:
"You do not want to swim at this beach. (dirty and not much beach access). You will need to go to Kamaole beach"

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for sharing

There was a brief TUG discussion about this property two years ago - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179292

From mauinews.com

Aston Maui Lu Resort listed for sale
Property already zoned for conversion to time share

September 17, 2012

KIHEI - Plans to convert the landmark Aston Maui Lu Resort in Kihei into time-share condominiums could be revived as the hotel's owners actively seek a buyer for the 27-acre property.

Owner Maxxam Enterprises of Beverly Hills, Calif., has tapped commercial real estate firm Jones Lang LaSalle of Chicago to market the resort.

The Maui Lu owners obtained a special management area permit in 2008 to demolish the 50-year-old hotel and to build a 388-unit time-share complex on the sprawling property at 575 S. Kihei Road.

The existing complex of multilevel buildings and individual bungalows sits on prime oceanfront land with 600 feet of shoreline and six miles of state-owned white-sand beach on either side, according to Maxxam's website.

The land and buildings are valued at $11.7 million for tax purposes, according to Maui County property tax records.

At least one estimate places a potential sale price at almost six times that amount. Real Estate Alert, a weekly newsletter focused on investing in the U.S. commercial market, estimates the resort's sale could attract bids of approximately $68 million.

Maxxam's website says it had planned to "redevelop the Maui Lu into a 400-unit timeshare complex, complete with lush landscaping, pools and water features."

The company notes that "Maui is the world's top timeshare destination, but due to strict zoning and development regulations, the market is considerably undersupplied. As our property was already zoned properly for a conversion to timeshare, we saw an opportunity for a new strategy to leverage the full potential of the asset."

A planned sale back in 2008 to Marriott Ownership Resorts did not go through. The Maui Lu had been slated to close at that time for a three-year overhaul.

Resort employees said that the Maui Lu is still taking hotel reservations for the foreseeable future.

mr-mauilu.jpg

Hawaii Revealed website indicates that the Maui Lu closed its doors on September 10, 2014

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
That's great news! Always happy to hear about resorts, and ones in new locations are even better...

My wife got spoiled by our anniversary stay at the Grand Wailea on Maui, and she still talks about that. so that will be hard to top that.

with the road in the middle, I am guessing there will be some ocean front views, and lots of garden / island views... but still should be a great new resort..

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Not promising review of existing resort:
"You do not want to swim at this beach. (dirty and not much beach access). You will need to go to Kamaole beach"

My original trips to Maui in 1998-1999, I stayed at the Kihei Beach Resort just up the road. The beach is not special - but the water is not dirty, just murky. I don't know why, but poor visibility.

Down the road, Kamaole Beach I is across the street from WM and is a far superior beach to Kaanapali Beach (which I think is overrated due to the rock/coral just off shore which hurt your feet)

There is also Kamaole II and Kamaole III - all three are fantastic beaches.

I didn't realize this was where Marriott was going to build their second Maui timeshare, I bet this becomes a fantastic Hilton property.

Best,

Greg

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Interesting that is a Japanese group that bought the property and HGVC is going to manage it.

Hilton is marketing heavily to the Japanese these days in Hawaii.

Lots of shopping in Wailea and this won't be far away.

JimmieJames

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Maui Beach Vacation Club about 1 block North from Maui Lu. We always get a 5th. or 6th. floor room and spend hours watching the whales breaching in season. A great spot for that activity.

Jim

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hawaii properties have always been heavily marketed to the Japanese, and now other Asian populations. Nothing new about that.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Hawaii properties have always been heavily marketed to the Japanese, and now other Asian populations. Nothing new about that.

True but look at the most recent Hilton in Hawaii.

Hokulani clearly has the Asian tourist in mind more so than American.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From the Maui Council's 2011 minutes -- I've not yet found the presentation but some interesting color

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/Search/Results?searchPhrase="maui lu redevelopment"&page=1&perPage=50

http://www.co.maui.hi.us/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/15538

This is a, a really special project. It has a lot of history and it’s a project of really high quality that I hope the slide presentation will present to you or communicate to you. The request is for a Special Management Area Permit time extension and it’s for the redevelopment of the Maui Lu. The Maui Lu is a historical project that has existed in Kihei since the early 1950's, actually when Mr. Gordon Gibson purchased the property. It’s really South Maui’s first resort destination and it was basically an attraction that a lot of Canadians came to in the early days on Maui and in terms of the growth of the visitor industry in South Maui.

The land use designations, the property has been identified as Urban since the adoption of the State Land Use Law in 1962. The property is also been identified as Hotel since the adoption of the Kihei Civic Plan which was in 1968. And the property has been zoned H-1 Hotel and HM Hotel. H-1 is two stories, HM is six stories and that zoning designation has existed since the adoption of the Kihei-South Maui Zoning Ordinance, Zoning Plan in 1969. The existing facility was basically built in the late ‘50's, early ‘60's. The site is 27.28 acres. There’s currently a 120 transient vacation units available. Forty-eight units are in three, two-story masonry buildings with parking on the makai portion. The total unit count was 218 units. That was at its prime in 1982. Currently, dilapidated buildings exist on the site. The long house is basically vacant, I’m sorry, dilapidated buildings exist on the site in the context of vacant buildings. The long house, restaurant building exist still on the site. Also, minimal recreation facilities on site.

In the context of redeveloping the site, since the 1950's, the 1960's, a lot of development has taken place in Kihei in term s of development around the property. The project site has always had a reputation of having a park-like atmosphere to it and the scale of development around the property has been residential in scale. So the challenge was to essentially look at the zoning, H-1 Hotel on the ocean side and on the first 200 feet of the site on the makai side of the mauka property and HM Hotel and come up with a design that was residential in scale and in character.

The design basically, 52 percent of – is actually 52 percent of the allowable density. It includes beautification of roadways and public spaces. It embodies or incorporates traditional Hawaiianna or kamaaina architectural design. It also is going to result in the removal of units on the makai parcel which was a condition of the Maui Planning Commission. It also provides enhanced view corridors from South Kihei Road. Beach improvements involve beach nourishment, dune stabilization and enhancement, improve pedestrian beach access, improve shoreline lateral access, additional public beach parking, removal of the northerly revetment on the ocean which was also a condition of the Maui Planning Commission.

Traffic improvements, there’ll be a new traffic signal at the intersection of South Kihei Road and Kaonoulu. The Level of Service will go from F to C. There will also be a roundabout, the first one in North Kihei at Alulike and Kaonoulu Road – Kaonoulu Street which will be basically incorporated as a traffic calming on Kaonoulu. Road widening to County standards. There’ll be installation of curbs, gutters, sidewalks, install landscape median refuge island along South Kihei Road. Install median left-turn storage lanes, new bike paths and sidewalk. We also have bus pull outs on South Kihei Road on the mauka and on the makai side of South Kihei Road.

Drainage and utilities. One hundred percent retention of project generated storm water plus 40 percent of the existing. Mitigate flooding on South Kihei Road. On site water well for irrigation and we also have three existing water meters. It’s important to note that the project is existing and this is an – a redevelopment project and that water, basic water service, water supply to serve the expansion is available on site. The architecture. Now I want to say that the architect that was chosen was Watanabe Chun Iopa and Takaki from Honolulu. Rob Iopa and Kevin Chun were architects that were involved in the design of the Four Seasons Resort and our firm, together with Rob Iopa who is the chief designer worked to basically come up with a theme for the Maui Lu that essentially reflects the history of, of the Maui Lu as a kamaaina place. Not only did it serve visitors like we indicated from Canada and other parts of the world, it also, over the years has become an important kamaaina visitor facility on Maui.

Again, the intention as landscape architects working with Rob Iopa was to, and the client, was to basically perpetuate the character of the M aui Lu as a part like project. There’s substantial open space has been maintained. Even now as you drive along South Kihei Road you can see walls and, and ironwood hedges and there’s no real views to the ocean. All of those walls and hedges are to be removed and the opportunity for visual access to the ocean from the mauka to makai, you know, has been provided. And of course, as indicated, the existing buildings are, are to be removed. The existing parallel building to South Kihei Road and to the ocean is, is being renovated to a one-story building would basically become a beach club pavilion. One other thing I’d just like to say before I get into the parking, well, the parking summary. There’s 388 mauka units times 1.33 is 517 stalls there is for the basic guest rooms, the employee parking is 50 stalls, the restaurant parking is 16 stalls, public beach parking is 12 stalls, the total number of stalls is 687.

Kaonoulu is actually the mauka-makai collector from South Kihei Road. W e’ll see a larger drawing that shows Piilani Highway up here. That’s the major arterial. Traffic will come from the airport, turn right down Kaonoulu and the main entrance to the Maui Lu will be off Kaonoulu in this location here. Also, there as an article in the paper just the other day about improvement to South Kihei Road and, or, in, in North Kihei. From Kaonoulu to the intersection of Mokulele highway the opportunity exists essentially to provide a two-lane road with pedestrian amenities. In this particular case, we have curbs, gutters, sidewalks, bicycle paths, sidewalks for pedestrians, they also have a median strip down the center which basically provides a parkway type presence in this particular area of South Kihei Road. This is something that we worked a lot with the Department of Public Works, and of course, all of the infrastructure improvements will be provided in this area, and of course, it will provide opportunity of great, safe opportunity for pedestrians, guests from the mauka side to be able to walk across South Kihei Road to the makai side white stucco which is typical of some of the buildings that Charles W . Dickey designed and others during basically the period in Hawaii before World War II. And, you know, we, we feel and, and the use of natural rock and, of course, of plant material that’s appropriate in Hawaii. This is the m ain entrance building. You can see that it has a friendly porte cochere and canopy so that guests basically are able to get out of their cars, go into the second floor where the registration would be then, of course, on the bottom floor would be the restaurant which can exit out into the main pool recreation area. This is the character of our two-story buildings. And the building, the actual units are, are condominiums, residential condominiums. The basic square footage is 1,200 square feet. This essentially is our, our three-story configuration and it’s very similar to the four-story. This essentially, you know, shoreline improvements was a condition, Condition N o. 31. What we did was we basically removed the two-story and essentially we’re renovating the other two-story building and to a one-story. And essentially what we’re doing is, we removed 12 guest rooms from these particular structures.

And I’d just like to point out, these encroachments, these are revetments were created by Mr. Gibson actually back in 1964 according to our records and it was as a result of significant storm actually he thought, you know, there was also gonna be a tsunami associated with it. As part of the project improvement we were required by the Planning Commission to remove the northern most revetment which we are in the process of negotiating with the State Department of Land and Natural Resources.

Also, I’d like to note that the area to the south is actually a County park and that this is the area in addition to essentially the removal of the buildings in the context of getting approval from the State Board of Land and Natural Resources for the revetments we agreed to do a beach nourishment project. So the beach nourishment project will continue along and actually go to the south extend beyond our property and actually tie in with the Kalepolepo fish pond which is the fish pond that Kimokeo is involved in restoring. So there will be a lens of sand that should be pretty stable in this particular area.

The proposed shoreline improvements again, essentially in this particular instance what we’re proposing to do is to renovate this, this two-story, 20-unit structure. So actually reduce it dow n to a one-story building. Also, all of these hedges again, are gonna be removed and of course, these buildings that exist to the south will be removed. So all of this area essentially will be open as far as visual access to the ocean from South Kihei Road.

This is the character of the one-story beach club and so it’s very much like a pavilion more than a significant building on the ocean. This shows the two structures that will be removed. This shows the beach club and the renovated building. Also, it gives you a clearer feeling for the improvements that will be provided for along South Kihei Road. This is the shoreline improvement identifying the beach nourishment and also, we also have a commitment to do dune enhancement. In the context of the seasons in South Maui, sand blows a lot and essentially becomes a problem for the County in terms of South Kihei Road. So you know, essentially we’re going to be working with the community – committee from the KCA, Kihei Community Association to basically do dune enhancement and to assist in that. Plus we are also doing the beach nourishment project which does show it extending south and tying into the wall of Kalepolepo fish pond.

This is a basically pictures of the sand and the beach looking south from the Vancouver Memorial, Maui Lu Hotel room structures at left and center. Those structure will be gone together with the Vancouver Memorial the encroachment revetment will be gone. Looking north from the center, looking toward the rock revetment toward the Vancouver Memorial. You can see it here. All of that stone revetment will be removed. Essentially looking north from the southern rock revetment towards Building A. This building again, will be renovated and become a one-story beach club.

Looking north from the County beach park toward Building C, and you can see these are the two buildings that will be removed. This is the County beach park to the north – to the south, excuse me. This gives you an understanding of some of the roadway improvements. Again, I indicated to you that Piilani Highway is the major arterial. Kaonoulu is the mauka-makai collector road and you’re all aware that Kaonoulu will basically go mauka of Piilani Highway and actually become the Kihei to Kula highway at some time in the future. This drawing basically shows the improvements to South Kihei Road as I indicated, I discussed with you. Also it shows the improvements that we were required to, to do items of working with the Kaonoulu Estates residential subdivision to basically calm traffic moving mauka and makai on Kaonolulu. This will be the first roundabout in North Kihei. Also, at the intersection of Kaonoulu and South Kihei Road we will be providing a full service traffic signal with turning lanes. I’m sorry, Alulike and Kaonoulu we’re doing a roundabout, Kaonoulu a full service signal and then also the bus pulls out, there will be a bus pull out on the makai side of South Kihei Road as well as on the mauka side of South Kihei Road. And essentially providing facilities for, for the bus to pull out and for pedestrians in this area to actually wait and use the bus. South Kihei Road we’re doing road widening with curbs, gutters and sidewalks on both sides. A 12-foot wide planted median strip with raised crosswalk for safe pedestrian crossing.

We’re doing an improved left turn movement into the project and to Kaonoulu that’s in this location. We have safe pedestrian crossings. This is a section through this area which gives – this would be the makai side, this would be the beach club, you can see it’s – the area is gonna be open. All the visual barriers will be removed. This provides a view of the sidewalk. This would be the twolane traffic, the median strip, the mauka sidewalk and, and bicycle path and the great lawn of the Maui Lu.

As far as drainage is concerned, the existing runoff, the existing sheetflows to South Kihei Road. And again, the drainage plan was studied, preliminary drainage report and drainage by Wilson Okamoto is our civil engineer and Michael Fujita is here if there are any questions from the Commissioners. We have a requirement in our SMA permit for onsite retention of 100 percent of the – of new development runoff, plus we are required by the Commission to increase to 40 percent of the existing. This is Condition N o. 29 of or –in our decision and order of our SMA permit. Project history, the Maui Lu Resort was actually built in the early 1960's and is currently in poor condition. The Maui Lu redevelopment SMA permit chronology is as follows:

As Ann said, we submitted in 2003 our draft Environmental Assessment and Special Management Area permit application. In 2004, the Commission hearing for the draft EA. In 2000 and – September 28, 2004, the Commission granted our acceptance of our final EA with a Finding of No Significant Impact, and then on May 17, 2005, our Urban Design Review Board and approval by the Urban Design, unanimous by the way. July 12, 2005, the Planning Commission SMA permit hearing was held. And in March 14, 2006, the Commission granted intervenor status to the Maui Beach Vacation Club as a, an intervenor. Then in July 22, 2008, the Planning Commission approval with 31 conditions.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My opinion is that this should be consistent with traditional points pricing since the construction costs aren't there.

I don't think this anymore -- I bet its point-priced like the Park City property...

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I don't think this anymore -- I bet its point-priced like the Park City property...

Nice job finding the documents!! Looks like nice resort when it done.

Just out of curiosity, what is making you guess it will be similar points to Park City? I was guessing closer to KL or GW, but my only reason was the popularity of Maui..

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
One should note that the Park City uses the standard points structure. For example, 2BR std unit in Platinum is 7000 points, a plus unit is 8400, and a premium is 9600. The difference is that Park City has more Premium and Plus units where several of the older properties do not.

In contrast, KL and GW use higher points for each of those room classifications.

I am guessing that this new property will use the standard points structure, but have more Premium and Plus units like Park City, Myrtle Beach, etc.

Kurt

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Key excerpts:
the property has been zoned H-1 Hotel and HM Hotel. H-1 is two stories, HM is six stories and that zoning designation has existed since the adoption of the Kihei-South Maui Zoning Ordinance, Zoning Plan in 1969.
H-1 Hotel on the ocean side and on the first 200 feet of the site on the makai side of the mauka property and HM Hotel and come up with a design that was residential in scale and in character.
The total unit count was 218 units. That was at its prime in 1982.
The design basically, 52 percent of – is actually 52 percent of the allowable density.
So, they are basically proposing two story on the ocean side and first 200 ft. on the opposite side, and up to 6 story everywhere else, for a total of 419 units (218/.52).

jestme

Reaction score
Nice job finding the documents!! Looks like nice resort when it done.

Just out of curiosity, what is making you guess it will be similar points to Park City? I was guessing closer to KL or GW, but my only reason was the popularity of Maui..

I think HGVC has figured out that people will pay for the resorts in Hawaii, more than they will pay for Orlando or LV. They don't need to hike up the points value you get when you buy, or the points needed to use there. The owners at the Grand Waikikian now often trade in the massive points they got when they bought at the GW and stay at the Lagoon. It creates an imbalance in the whole system. They trade in one week at the GW, and get almost two at the Lagoon, Kalia or the Hokulani.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Key excerpts:So, they are basically proposing two story on the ocean side and first 200 ft. on the opposite side, and up to 6 story everywhere else, for a total of 419 units (218/.52).

Russ,

I think its a little different.

I believe they are proposing 19 buildings, mostly four stories, but a couple that are shorter (to not block the view of the other buildings). These are all on the east side of the road, and total the 388 timeshare units that are proposed. I believe most are lock-offs, but not all.

There are currently three buildings to the west side of the road. I believe one building (the one parallel to the road) will be torn down and a Beach Club will be built on its spot, with a kitchen, lounge, rest rooms, etc.

The two other buildings (parallel to one another) will be renovated to be 12 total units, thus bigger than their current configuration, and I believe those will be rental units and not sold as timeshares. Thus, this would be a 400 unit property.

This assumes that the 2004 Plan is what has carried forward.

The layout is very reminiscent of Westin Kaanapali and/or Marriott Waiohai, where you have a number of buildings that are in staggered configuration, many with island and ocean views and a smaller number that more consistent with an ocean front.

I think it will be a very nice property, and on Google Earth, the ocean water off the beach looks better than Sugar Beach up the road (where Kihei Beach Resort is).

Best,

Greg

Edited: Uploaded a file (thanks for fixing it Russ!)

Attachments

• Maui Lu redevelopment.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 376
Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These plans may have little to do with the current HGVC thinking. I have no idea who had the 2004 plans.