• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Wyndham Policies are a killer!

Have recent changes made your Wyndham VIP ownership problematic?

• Yes. Our ownership is no longer cost effective.

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • No. We are still happy with our ownership.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • No. The ownership was all ready problematic.

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ten years ago they thought they had stopped the megarenters, and of course they did. What they didnt count on was a bunch of new guys that figured out new ways to make the system work for them.
There is one thing that hasn't been mentioned much.

There were several changes intended to kill the renters off: elimination of transfers between owners, onerous guest certificate rules, and a few other things. But, at almost the same time, Wyndham upgraded its web system. Before this upgrade, cancellations you made on day X did not appear in inventory until the website opened on day X+1. After the change, cancellations came back in real time.

This doesn't seem like a big deal. After all, several of the renters would cancel right before the web site closed, and would log back in just as it opened to grab what they dropped at a discount. True, they would miss some here and there, but not many. But, it was a big deal, because the new system no longer required the late night/morning daily discipline. Anyone could do it any time of day. And many people did so.

Is there a corresponding relaxing of constraints that we haven't found yet to counter-balance the random/unknown return of cancelled inventory? Maybe. But, if anyone has found it they are keeping very tight lips. And, the people who I expected to have found it keep wondering if someone else will find it.

That is not encouraging if one fancies oneself a renter.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I suggested the same thing a few weeks back -- that cancel/rebook only became really useful when canceled reservations appeared in inventory in more or less real time. I got slammed by some guy who said cancel/rebook was very useful even when a canceled reservation didn't show in inventory until the next morming. Apparently he was able to do the early morning thing. But, if everyone knows exactly when canceled weeks show up, the chances of grabbing one goes way down. Which sounds to me like cancel/rebook wasn't very useful -- a lot of trouble and a reduced probability of success.

topcop400

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
I'd like to be an entrepreneur, but I'd be hesitant to build a business model that's dependent upon someone ELSE'S business model. That kind of risk isn't for me. Ron has always been realistic about the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Like the pole at the top of this thread. Hope MORE people vote...expressing their opinion as they see how the new system works for their ownership.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Other systems are watching , learning , and making changes benefiting the system, not the owner. We in the HICV system have just whiteness this with the new 15 guest reservation a year no matter how many points you own implemented about a month ago without any warning. When you make 15 reservations, on the 16th I'm told you will get a notice that you have used up all your guest reservations for the year.
I am not a mega renter, (I do rent units to help supplement.)
I'm not a Wyndham owner, sympathize with all the struggling you have endured this past year. Ownership cost is going up, up, and away for all of us.

Beating a dead horse here but TUG is not helping the timeshare owner with the $100 a night last minute 20+ year old [outdated] rule. By not adjusting , this has set the value back 20+ years. Higher rate allowance does not mean you will be able to get it but the standard is set by this $100 a night no matter if it is prime time or off season. I've had people wanting my weeks for clients thru TUG using this $100 a night standard in prime time no where near my cost, and surly way below the rate at that time.

As a owner I am shocked at what comes thru in desperation to recoup some money at crazy losses (not alway)to the owner who's plans have changed. Feeding the "thrifty" vacationers and travel agents at a ridiculous price at times.
With the changes implemented to Wyndham , the mega renters will have a hard time breaking even.

My observation over time has been If I want something cheap come to TUG, but if I want to rent mine for a fair price , go elsewhere.

I love TUG, I have learned everything here from the OWNERS of timeshares. It's time to help owners out, I welcome you to 2017

Last edited:

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
I haven't seen those wonderful availabilities at Canterbury. I just spent a week there. I have a 1 bedroom with the upgrade option set. It was never upgraded.

From what I have heard the upgrade option isn't working reliably. I wasn't saying that Platinum owners could get upgrades at 60 days, anyway.Here is what I was saying.

In the old system if I looked at the calendar view and selected 3BR and clicked through the months out to 10 month I would rarely see any availability. occasionally out near the 10 month point I would see one or two 3 night stays. Same was true the the 2 BR Pres (non reserve). Sometimes I would see a few more of those.

Now here is what I find in calendar view for 3 BR Presidential Reserve:
Nov. 3-3 nights, 1-7 nights
Dec 1- 7 nights
Jan 1- 3 nights, 1-4 nights, 1-7 nights
Feb several 7 night stays
March same as Feb
April Whole month is available.
May over half the month is available
June Whole month is avail. Half of it you would have to be PR to get at this point because it is over 10 months from today's date.

If you look at 2 BR Presidential (non reserve) It is pretty close to the same. Except that out beyond 10 month I can book because I am CWA. Not that I could book a week at Canterbury in the 2BR Pres (or any size really) because I don't have enough CWA points for a week.

You will notice there is nothing within 60 days for a platinum upgrade (assuming it started working). But this is the summer travel season I will be watching to see what happens to the availability as we get within the 60 day point.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggested the same thing a few weeks back -- that cancel/rebook only became really useful when canceled reservations appeared in inventory in more or less real time. I got slammed by some guy who said cancel/rebook was very useful even when a canceled reservation didn't show in inventory until the next morming. Apparently he was able to do the early morning thing. But, if everyone knows exactly when canceled weeks show up, the chances of grabbing one goes way down. Which sounds to me like cancel/rebook wasn't very useful -- a lot of trouble and a reduced probability of success.

It was very useful even before cancelled reservations showed up in real time. Also was a very effective way of holding more inventory then I had points for an getting an upgrade from a 1 bedroom to a 4 bedroom.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you may very well be right. I would just say the changes hurt all renters....
The changes don't hurt ALL renters... just the ones who relied on discounts. The changes may actually be beneficial for small-time renters who did not use the cancel-rebook trick and now won't have to compete with the megas who could undercut the rental market.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went back and watched the annual meeting again.
VIP Progam expenses of Club Wyndham Plus or the trust whatever you want to call it.
2015 $16,049,000.00
2016 $18,811,000.00
Over 17% increase in one year
I don't like the changes either. But that's the answer to why Wyndham made such a drastic change to the rules.

markb53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA
Panama City Beach
Worldmark
The changes don't hurt ALL renters... just the ones who relied on discounts. The changes may actually be beneficial for small-time renters who did not use the cancel-rebook trick and now won't have to compete with the megas who could undercut the rental market.

I agree with that Chris. I believe those owners that are renting to just make a few bucks (or maybe $100.00) over their costs of the points/credits they won't use, will do just fine. They will continue to rent to those of us who need more points in some years. Or in my case, sometimes need to go to a WorldMark, which I don't own. :)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with that Chris. I believe those owners that are renting to just make a few bucks (or maybe $100.00) over their costs of the points/credits they won't use, will do just fine. They will continue to rent to those of us who need more points in some years. Or in my case, sometimes need to go to a WorldMark, which I don't own. :)

I firmly believe that Wyndham never had any problem with renting as you describe it; just to recover costs

But they have always had a problem with large scale commercial renting. I don't know whether their motive was selfish; they want all the rental profits to be theirs and that they didn't want the competition from folks that could undercut their prices or whether their motives were pure and their actions on behalf of their owners

It makes no difference. they wanted the megarenters gone but they have no issue with a little renting for mf recovery. At least that's my opinion

Last edited:

asreiter

TUG Member
Reaction score
unless someone figures out a way to profit in spite of the new rules.

I have no doubt that the same thing will happen again... It might even be some dumb farmer from Iowa:thumbup:

Never underestimate us "dumb" Iowans :)

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never underestimate us "dumb" Iowans :)
That was to tease one particular Iowan I met here on tug
I know about Iowans, My mother was a Iowa farm girl and my cousins still farm just a few miles from where their father and my mother grew up

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad the changes haven't hurt your renting. Very few renters won't be effected by any changes to GCs,RTs,discounts and upgrades.
The changes evidently haven't had an impact on you and your still a happy camper

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems like "points" systems are much easier to degrade/devalue. Deeded Fixed Week/Fixed Unit/ systems are harder to devalue. Close to impossible if you bought exactly what you want when you want it and plan to go every year.

Yes and no. When I made the decision to divest my Marriott Weeks many years ago it was because they changed their Resale Program. their Rental Program, and the value of my Week when swapping into Marriott Rewards Points, all within a short period of time.

George

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Yes and no. When I made the decision to divest my Marriott Weeks many years ago it was because they changed their Resale Program. their Rental Program, and the value of my Week when swapping into Marriott Rewards Points, all within a short period of time.

George
Definitely see your point. But if you go to your fixed 2 or 3BR unit the same week every year, then hopefully the developer can't hurt you too bad. But I see your point, trading value, etc., can definitely be devalued..

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've forgotten what it's like to be a small owner, but I don't see 1.6 million as taking a position
And we aren't talking about folks buying for their own use. We are trying to determine the affect of the new rules on rentals and availability

Did you use 1.6 million for your personal use or 30 million for renting?

asreiter

TUG Member
Reaction score
That was to tease one particular Iowan I met here on tug
I know about Iowans, My mother was a Iowa farm girl and my cousins still farm just a few miles from where their father and my mother grew up

I was just teasing back, trust me it takes more than that to offend me.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got slammed by some guy who said cancel/rebook was very useful even when a canceled reservation didn't show in inventory until the next morming.
I remember that conversation---I think. And, if I am right, that person had been a very successful renter using this technique for a very long time. So, even though it seems like it shouldn't have worked, for this person it did, and did well.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember that conversation---I think. And, if I am right, that person had been a very successful renter using this technique for a very long time. So, even though it seems like it shouldn't have worked, for this person it did, and did well.

Worked very well for me as well. I jumped two feet in after my megarenter wanted to lower the price they were paying per thousand. Things change and over the 9 years I never ran into them so maybe they gave up with one of the changes. All of the changes I managed to turn into my favor. Instead of renting the smaller scraps I went after the larger units to minimize the cost of the guest fee per persona.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you use 1.6 million for your personal use or 30 million for renting?
I dont think I ever used more that a couple of hundred thousand for personal use.. I rented some myself but mostly I was a wholesaler of points to the points managers. I also did some buying and selling.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

I understand that and I applaud him for making it work. But, if I recall correctly, his success depended on him being able to hit the system at 7 AM on the dot to try to grab units he had canceled at 11:44 PM (or whenever the website shut down) the night before. I still maintain that for most of us, cancel/rebook only became useful when cancellations started appearing within a minute or so. It must have become easier.

I wonder did the cancel/rebook success rate increase after the change?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I'm sure it did, because as you note the late night/early morning thing required discipline and some flexibility that many probably did not have.
and if you were looking to catch someone elses cancel you knew when to look vs the slim chance that you happened to be looking at the exact moment when the person cancelling what you wanted happened to choose to do a cancel/rebook.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it did, because as you note the late night/early morning thing required discipline and some flexibility that many probably did not have.

A little discipline and flexibility are not bad things In fact they are absolutely necessary to maximize the benefits of a timeshare ownership, especially with a points program and especially when you are trying to exploit a loophole

If you can't be diciplined and flexible you bought the wrong thing

Cancel and rebook for a discount was a loophole exploited by some when you had to do it overnight and it was a loophole that some exploited when you could do it at anytime of the day. And either way it is a loophole that Wyndham is trying to close whether it's something that hurts mega renters or the guy that just trying to maximize his ownership for the benefit of his family

We all have to get over it and learn to work within the new rules