• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie - buying wk 50 in older FL resort good deal?

maaldetravels

Reaction score
Greetings all! I am new very new to timesharing and would love some advice. I have the opportunity to buy a resale in an older FL resort (Oyster Point, Sebastian, FL), week 50 for ~$700. The MF's are reasonable at roughly $450. The current owner is a member with RCI so I would just join that as well.
The selling point to me is the ability to trade and stay all over the country but i am concerned about the "trading value" of this resort. I have no idea what types of resorts i would be able to trade for? We do not have children so off season is usually when we travel.
Does it makes sense to purchase with the mindset that we may never even stay at our "home resort"?
Any advice on what the trading power would be?

Greatly appreciate in advance any seasoned advice!!!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Greetings all! I am new very new to timesharing and would love some advice. I have the opportunity to buy a resale in an older FL resort (Oyster Point, Sebastian, FL), week 50 for ~$700. The MF's are reasonable at roughly $450. The current owner is a member with RCI so I would just join that as well.
The selling point to me is the ability to trade and stay all over the country but I am concerned about the "trading value" of this resort. I have no idea what types of resorts i would be able to trade for? We do not have children so off season is usually when we travel.
Does it makes sense to purchase with the mindset that we may never even stay at our "home resort"?

Assuming, for the sake of discussion, this is a fixed week and not in "RCI Points", then you might want to ask the seller the "TPU" value of the week.
TPU is a sort of "artificial currency" value, assigned by RCI to each individual unit / week at any given resort. Different sized units and different weeks will have different TPU's, even within the same resort. You can't actually look up TPU values on the RCI site without a RCI membership, but your seller (or perhaps someone on this site, if they know unit size of the week 50 you're considering) can easily do so for you. We no longer belong to RCI.

TPU value determines trading power. You can't reserve / exchange somewhere else unless you have a sufficient number of TPU's, so finding out the maximum TPU value for the specific week / unit under consideration will be an appropriate (necessary, even) starting point for you --- before committing to a purchase.

We stayed at that facility some years ago, back when we still belonged to RCI. I don't remember much about the place, except that at the time they had small boats with outboard motors available for use, which we utilized and enjoyed. The boats may or may not even still be in the picture there now --- I dunno. :shrug:

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
The selling point to me is the ability to trade and stay all over the country but i am concerned about the "trading value" of this resort. I have no idea what types of resorts i would be able to trade for? We do not have children so off season is usually when we travel.

Looks like this resort gets around 21 TPU's for the week. That is low/average, I believe, as far as the TPU scale goes, though your maintenance fees are quite low. I would tend to advise you to buy where you want to go. Buying somewhere with the intent to trade rarely goes as planned. Good luck as you work to figure it all out. And there is NO rush. Even if that week goes...there will be another.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
For about a few dollars less than $900 annual MFs, you can get 55-60 TPUs yearly (which is good but not unheard of).

As for week 50 ... before Christmas .. who travels then on vacation? A layman's value can be determined by either a cash rental or RCI exchange trading power.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We stayed at Oyster Point in 2010. The place was nice, the thing I remember most was the large dining table. Our son and his wife were with us and the table was good for board games and meals. The thing I didn't like about the resort it was a no smoking place, but our unit was above the office and that reeked of smoke, it seeped up and into our place. We asked to be moved but they didn't provide another unit. Sebastian is a nice area. My DH and I played golf and had a nice dinner at the public golf course club house. We were close to Vero Beach and spent time there too. If you are buying just to trade, I would keep looking. If you plan to stay don't expect a fancy place. I don't plan on going back there again. I did a review on the timeshare, you could check it out along with others.
Silentg

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I have owned and still own one resort that I have never been to, own(ed) them strictly for trading. I do not use RCI, I feel the fees are way too high. I trade with Dial An Exchange which I am very happy with.

DAE does not have the number of choices that RCI and II have but as I said, I am happy. One thing I like is they don't assign trading power, you trade where ever you want to when you want to. You do pay an upgrade fee if you take a unit with more bedrooms than you are giving up.

The thing I really like about them is the ability to get two exchanges for one deposit from Prime Time Area units. Orlando is currently on their prime time list so for my 3br lock off in Orlando I get four exchanges. Two 1br units and two 2br units. After figuring in my exchange fees I vacation for right around $400 per week.

Owing to trade has worked out well for me, YMMV.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Week 50, and earlier weeks in December have very poor travel demand - weeks 51 and 52 have strong travel demand. In other words, week 50 will not be a strong trader or renter.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would tend to advise you to buy where you want to go. Buying somewhere with the intent to trade rarely goes as planned.
I second this advice. You can make it work but it really requires that you treat timesharing like a serious hobby rather than something you just do. Many TUGgers do consider timesharing a serious hobby, but most timeshare owners do not and would not want to.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned and still own one resort that I have never been to, own(ed) them strictly for trading. I do not use RCI, I feel the fees are way too high. I trade with Dial An Exchange which I am very happy with.

DAE does not have the number of choices that RCI and II have but as I said, I am happy. One thing I like is they don't assign trading power, you trade where ever you want to when you want to. You do pay an upgrade fee if you take a unit with more bedrooms than you are giving up.

The thing I really like about them is the ability to get two exchanges for one deposit from Prime Time Area units. Orlando is currently on their prime time list so for my 3br lock off in Orlando I get four exchanges. Two 1br units and two 2br units. After figuring in my exchange fees I vacation for right around $400 per week.

Owing to trade has worked out well for me, YMMV.
This would be the only reason I would buy a Orlando or similar location, If I knew I could turn it into multiple weeks. That is excellent value. Otherwise unless you absolutely love the resort to use I wouldn't suggest buying because as mentioned a week 50 Orlando is not going to get you any uptrades.