• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

no good deed goes unpunished

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
People are told to rescind there all the time. People who post nothing but rescind especially when the original poster specifically mentioned that they bought last month or so and or did not ask what others thought or mention any questions or doubts are not so welcome. There is almost always at least one person who suggests that rescinding now while in the allowed time and doing more research before settling on a retail purchase is wise. There are always a few congratulations for buying and tales about how they love wyndham whether they bought retail or resale. There are also periodic suggestions to come to TUG for more specific advice about resale vs retail options.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also why more than one group is the focus of this post, as there are groups on there that SPECIFICALLY ban people from telling new owners to rescind, or mention resale and actively delete the posts containing that information.

vs the one in particular who appear to simply frown upon it, but dont outright prohibit it.

you know there is a problem when the TUG facebook account gets kicked from the group after trying to help an owner who just bought.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I consider TUG to be like Fox News - meaning Fair and Balanced. I watch Fox News; I read TUG. . .
Can I veer off the subject? Where are you staying for the inauguration? I would love to go, but afraid of trouble in the area. It is an Historic event, but I will watch on TV. Please take photos and tell us how it goes!
Silentg

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
you know there is a problem when the TUG facebook account gets kicked from the group after trying to help an owner who just bought.

Bingo! I understand wanting to keep a positive spin on things, but when the moderator/owner of the FB site is fearful of displeasing Wyndham, don't we call that being a "shill"?

Wasn't there a movie called "Pleasantville," where only positive vibes were allowed, and at the same time horrible things were afoot, and no one was allowed to speak about the negative aspects? Or if you are older, how about "Animal Farm?" Differing viewpoints need to be allowed in a truly meaningful forum.

And when dissenting voices are forced out, that is shameful conduct on the part of the site owner.

I am not on FB, so I don't know the answer to this, but it bears asking, "Are there postings on the FB site about the suspended accounts of VIP owners?" If not, that silence is an indictment of the site owner.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bingo! I understand wanting to keep a positive spin on things, but when the moderator/owner of the FB site is fearful of displeasing Wyndham, don't we call that being a "shill"?

Wasn't there a movie called "Pleasantville," where only positive vibes were allowed, and at the same time horrible things were afoot, and no one was allowed to speak about the negative aspects? Or if you are older, how about "Animal Farm?" Differing viewpoints need to be allowed in a truly meaningful forum.

And when dissenting voices are forced out, that is shameful conduct on the part of the site owner.

I am not on FB, so I don't know the answer to this, but it bears asking, "Are there postings on the FB site about the suspended accounts of VIP owners?" If not, that silence is an indictment of the site owner.
Actually yes, but never more than one post in passing. I have never seen anyone actually post it as a topic. Or more than one post that it is taking place.no one cared to followup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
My wife is a member of a few Facebook groups, I am a member of none. Shoot, I don't even have a Facebook account. I wonder sometimes if I should just so I can follow some of the Marriott and timeshare groups. I don't know if I could take it. I have tried to read a few when using my wife's iPad and the flow isn't as easy to follow. I even have a hard time using the II Community forums.

I had no interest in FB until I found out there were timeshare groups on it last spring. Usually access my Worldmark and DRI groups from my iPad twice a day. iPad "stays" in my "group area", but if I'm bored at my desk and log on using the big computer it signs me on to the "real FB page" and I'm always surprised to see Cliff's posts (he is my only friend!). Always find it odd to hear something about a friend's life from Cliff having seen it on FB, I guess emails are going the way of snail mail.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No a Shill is someone who works for a company but pretends to be a satisfied customer.

There were some but mainly they were referred to TUG for much more detailed discussion than what you can do on a FB format.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Nextdoor indeed. Two conflicting threads on my local one right now. One is looking for arborists right now to take out some trees in his yard. Another is bemoaning the removal of a large oak tree to accommodate public school expansion, organizing protests, and fostering establishment of a neighborhood council to rule on whether you can remove trees from your lot.
I just discovered Nextdoor in December when I got a piece of snail mail inviting me to join the group. I'd recommend it to everyone as a good way to learn about what's going on in your neighborhood. Our recent posts have been about people going into the recycle bins to scavenge bottles and cans at 3AM on trash day, suspicious characters wandering around, lost dogs reunited with owners, etc. Have a gorgeous pot sitting on my counter waiting for Mom's birthday tomorrow - someone on Nextdoor posted that she hand painted pots.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dictionary definition of "shill".
an accomplice of a hawker, gambler, or swindler who acts as an enthusiastic customer to entice or encourage others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A shill may also act to discredit opponents or critics of the person or organization in which they have a vested interest through character assassination or other means.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... I think both there [the Wyndham FB group] and here have a lot of folks who made developer purchases in the past that may or may have not gotten them up to VIP level, and both have folks who are just trying to get the best use out of the ownership they have. The main difference I see is that over there, even once they become aware of the opportunity to purchase resale, there are still some stories of having gone back in to spend tens of thousands of dollars to add to their ownerships, and congratulations ensue.

There are three Facebook groups for Diamond Resorts members and I have not seen anyone there who owns only resale points. Everyone seems to be well aware that points from other members are available for free, but these opportunities don't seem to be very attractive to the membership. The people how do acquire resale points do so with the intention of buying more developer points and re-qualifying the resale points. Tier benefits seem to be very attractive to Diamond's members. This seems very different from what I have seen in Bluegreen and Wyndham groups. In these latter cases there are members who want the tier benefits, but there are others who do not.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are three Facebook groups for Diamond Resorts members and I have not seen anyone there who owns only resale points. Everyone seems to be well aware that points from other members are available for free, but these opportunities don't seem to be very attractive to the membership. The people how do acquire resale points do so with the intention of buying more developer points and re-qualifying the resale points. Tier benefits seem to be very attractive to Diamond's members. This seems very different from what I have seen in Bluegreen and Wyndham groups. In these latter cases there are members who want the tier benefits, but there are others who do not.

Im not a diamond owner but have looked at that club as a possible purchase. It is my understanding that you cannot be a member of the "Club" unless you buy directly from Diamond. ie Resale owners do not belong to the Club; so they are limited in the resorts that they can reserve.

Wyndham is different. Resale buyers do belong to Club Wyndham and their points can be used make reservations at all of the resorts in the club

Its not that some Wyndham owners want or dont want the benefits of a VIP membership We all "want" the VIP discounts and the free newspaper. I am quite "positive" about that. What some seem to take as negativity, and a bad thing, are the posts like mine that point out that those VIP benefits cost much more than they are worth and that a non VIP resale owner can enjoy the same vacations and the same number of vacations at the same resorts as VIP owners for much less money. None of that speaks to the character or the intelligence of the person that has decided to buy (or bought) a wyndham ownership from the developer... whats done is done, and who am I to question that guys motive, especially when he hasnt asked for my advice.. ... Im not speaking to that guy at all. I really dont care that he made a stupid financial decision.

The person Im speaking to when I post something like this is the guy on a budget, that wants to get the most bang for his vacation buck... or the guy thinking about a timeshare purchase and wants to make the best deal possible or the guy that just bought from the developer and is wondering "did I make a good deal?" Even then I try not to give advice, but rather, as Sargent Friday used to say "just the facts ma'am, just the facts"

heres a story that points out what Im trying to say.

I bought a boat a few years ago. it cost $60,000 to buy, and about $10000 a year to dock and another $10000 a year to operate and maintain. In the last two years I have gone out one day for about 4 hours. So you might say that that was a stupid financial decision, and of course it was. Those are the facts

What you dont know is I really didnt want a boat, nor did I buy one. What I wanted was a home in Southern California. The ones I was looking at cost over a million dollars (which I dont have) and about the same $20000 a year to operate and maintain. I looked at doing it with timeshares too. Enough worldmark credits to live in all year would cost about $150000 to buy and $30000 a year maintenance fees. So the boat actually works out to be cheaper than the alternatives I looked at and I really like being called "Captain Ron"

So I dont presume to pass judgement on the folks that choose to throw their money away on things that work for them, or make them feel good. If judgement is what they take from my posts (and the posts of others here); thats just wrong.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that you cannot be a member of the "Club" unless you buy directly from Diamond. ie Resale owners do not belong to the Club; so they are limited in the resorts that they can reserve.

Wyndham is different. Resale buyers do belong to Club Wyndham and their points can be used make reservations at all of the resorts in the club

I think Diamond's "THE Club" is more like the Wyndham Club Pass program (in regard to accessing resorts with one's points) while Club Wyndham is more like a Diamond "Collection" of resorts. If I buy resale points in Diamond's US Collection I would be able to make reservations at any resort in that trust fund, about 50 locations. I think the same applies to resale points in Club Wyndham (except Wyndham has more resorts). With Diamond resale points I would not be a member of "THE Club" so I could not make reservations at resorts in other "collections" (Hawaii, Europe, etc.). Which Wyndham's resale points one can not make reservations at Club Pass locations.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ahhh! I have another post about DRI. That's why wolf ledge lodge in Sandusky Ohio a poster said did not exist! It's in a collection that might not been available to him.

Over on the Wyndham site they said there's a cancel rebook number

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Diamond's "THE Club" is more like the Wyndham Club Pass program (in regard to accessing resorts with one's points) while Club Wyndham is more like a Diamond "Collection" of resorts. If I buy resale points in Diamond's US Collection I would be able to make reservations at any resort in that trust fund, about 50 locations. I think the same applies to resale points in Club Wyndham (except Wyndham has more resorts). With Diamond resale points I would not be a member of "THE Club" so I could not make reservations at resorts in other "collections" (Hawaii, Europe, etc.). Which Wyndham's resale points one can not make reservations at Club Pass locations.

Ahhh! I have another post about DRI. That's why wolf ledge lodge in Sandusky Ohio a poster said did not exist! It's in a collection that might not been available to him.

Over on the Wyndham site they said there's a cancel rebook number

As Gold Five said, "Stay on target."

This is going waaaaaay OT!

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
As Gold Five said, "Stay on target."

This is going waaaaaay OT!

My last statement was my attempt to tie it back to the conversation. As if this is true, there is a bit of usable information.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I go on Nextdoor for my neighborhood just to keep up.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Ours has expanded to other neighborhood in the area

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried the "cancel and rebook" phone number that was given on the Wyndham timeshare users group, turns out it was the new owner number

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just tried the "cancel and rebook" phone number that was given on the Wyndham timeshare users group, turns out it was the new owner number

Gotta love the inaccuracies advanced by folks on that site.

But that's what happens when you ostracize and/or eradicate actual experts.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gotta love the inaccuracies advanced by folks on that site.

But that's what happens when you ostracize and/or eradicate actual experts.

What's nice, "gotter dun! A total state of BLISS!

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

I may have missed something but why do you need to call to cancel and rebook? A Wyndham owner can do it themselves online!

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may have missed something but why do you need to call to cancel and rebook? A Wyndham owner can do it themselves online!
It was suggested that that is the best way to cancel and rebook here on tug.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
It was suggested that that is the best way to cancel and rebook here on tug.

It has been a while, probably close to a year and a half, since I started doing my own cancel and rebookings. I had one VC get really snotty with me when I called to ask about something. Then the next time I called to cancel and rebook I got her again and the attitude and she screwed up the reservation. There is a smaller pool of VC's for Presidential Reserve and rather than risk getting her and having her irritate me I quit calling and just do it myself.

For the past about five years my reservations are with very rare exceptions booked within 60 day window and I only cancel and rebook if I find a better upgrade. And that isn't happening very often anymore. If the reservation is one that is really important to me then I don't risk it unless there is still something I could use if what I cancelled is lost. That is another big change that I've noticed in the last two years as I had never lost an important reservation before that and never really worried that I might.

If you are calling I would make sure you are doing it while you are online too. There were a couple of times that I actually caught the reservation before the VC did when it came back.

It is my understanding from what I was told by a VC a few months ago that they are no longer supposed to be doing the cancel and rebook. OP may find some VC's who will still do it for them but I wouldn't expect that to continue. I wondered about the change in policy and was told that the policy was always that they weren't supposed to do it but everybody did. There are two reasons that I can see why they are starting to enforce it. One was to cut back on the number of VC's and not have them tied up with those phone calls. Remember the layoffs and VC's pulled to work on the audits? The other reason was that Wyndham was pulling inventory when reservations were cancelled more often than in the past. When you are doing it yourself online and you aren't seeing the reservation come back you just assume someone else was quicker than you especially if you got slowed down by having to select the pictures. When the VC's don't see it come back even for that flash of a second or two they know that Wyndham has pulled the reservation and it gets awkward when they know that you know exactly what happened. I remember thinking it was odd when they really started firmly warning us that reservations can get lost. Duh, we all know that. I found a VC that was willing to talk and was told it was happening a lot more often that reservations weren't coming back.

OP may have better, more up to date information about this.