• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official TUGBBS upgrade complaint/suggestion thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Any of the Forum sub-menu options that don't fit on the bar as the display window narrows should still be accessible. When items drop off the bar there is a "..." link at the right end that produces a drop down menu with the items that fell off the bar. With its white-on-light-blue coloring it's not the easiest to see.

When my window is wide enough to show all items, the order on the Forum submenu bar is:
Mark Forums Read - Search Forums - Watched Forums - Watched Threads - Recent Posts - New Posts - Threads you Ignore - Forums You Ignore

Or when abbreviated:

Code:
MFR SF WF WT RP NP TYI FYI

As the window size is narrowed (i.e. smaller window on computer, or small screen on phone or tablet) items drop off from the left, not the right as one would expect, and get added to the bottom of the "..." drop down:
Code:
SF WF WT RP NP TYI FYI ...
                       MFR

WF WT RP NP TYI FYI ...
                    MFR
                    SF

WT RP NP TYI FYI ...
                 MFR
                 SF
                 WF

RP NP TYI FYI ...
              MFR
              SF
              WF
              WT

.. and so forth.

This is built into our XenForo bbs software and works the same way for all of the sub-menus (the ones below Forums, Members, whatever). The main menu bar at the top works just the opposite, with items dropping from the right, which seems much more intuitive to me.

It would make more sense to me to have sub-menu bar work the same as the main menu bar, but I don't know if this is something that can be changed in the way this Xenforo bbs software works.

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I make a suggestion please... can we move the "Recent Posts" and/or "New Posts" buttons to the far right? Little easier to click on and I'm sure they're more commonly used by all, rather than the ignore buttons being used less frequently.

And by the way, what's the difference between recent and new posts? (sorry if this has already been discussed).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I'm not seeing the mark forums read button this morning either. Now my navigation bar starts with watched forums?

Looks like it moved to right side - if you do not see it, click on the '...' and it will show.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't actually look at the TUG forums by searching for collective "new posts", but I am nonetheless curious about the unspecified definition of "new" in the Xenforo software for that particular search function. In checking out at the "new posts" search function just now, the list retrieved seems to go back about 3 days.

This is not an issue of concern or a complaint, just a question about the specific date / time range for that "new posts" search function. :shrug:

Elli

TUG Member
Reaction score
In New Posts and Recent Posts, threads in forums that you follow will have a little pair of glasses on the right. I suspect it will also show that if it is a thread you are following.
Thanks, Brian and dioxide 45 - will try it out.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Can I make a suggestion please... can we move the "Recent Posts" and/or "New Posts" buttons to the far right? Little easier to click on and I'm sure they're more commonly used by all, rather than the ignore buttons being used less frequently.

For those menu bar links you use often, I'd suggest saving each as a bookmark/favorite in your browser so you've always got it readily available. I've been coming in via a bookmark to "Watched Forums", but I may change it to a bookmark for "New Posts" now that I've got the forums I don't care about marked to ignore.

[Edited to add:] The bookmark approach may work for the "Mark Forums Read" link, because each time you login or refresh the page, it codes a timestamp into the link. So if you saved a bookmark yesterday, then use the bookmark to mark forums read today, I think it will only mark those messages that were present when you saved the bookmark yesterday as read. At least I suspect that's what would happen since there is a timestamp in the link.

And by the way, what's the difference between recent and new posts? (sorry if this has already been discussed).

Recent posts are posts entered over some recent period of time, probably one day, whether you have seen them or not.

New posts are those entered since your last visit, plus other recent posts you have not yet read -- not sure how far back that goes.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
New Posts shows all threads with a new post that are unread. Recent posts shows the same, but also includes threads you have read. I think Brian indicated it was set to 7 days.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Looks like it moved to right side - if you do not see it, click on the '...' and it will show.

Thanks to both of you for this answer. This just makes it that much harder to mark the forums as read. I enjoyed the old way of them automatically being marked as read once visited. Just an old man complaining about change! Nothing new.

As a side note, why would the mark forum read button have dropped off the bar to start with? I didn't make any changes and it was there at one time. Can we customized the navigation bar to show what we want on it?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks to both of you for this answer. This just makes it that much harder to mark the forums as read. I enjoyed the old way of them automatically being marked as read once visited. Just an old man complaining about change! Nothing new.

As a side note, why would the mark forum read button have dropped off the bar to start with? I didn't make any changes and it was there at one time. Can we customized the navigation bar to show what we want on it?
The reason is it over there behind the ... is because of the two additional tabs added for Threads You Ignore and Forums You Ignore. It would be great if those could be moved somehow. I don't think they need to be so prominent. Could they be moved to just the drop down when you hover over the Forums tab, or perhaps to the profile page?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
the size and format of the navigation bar are impacted by the width of your browser. if you are on a mobile device (phone/tablet) it wont show as many options as if you were on a desktop with the browser the full width of the screen.

you can actually play with this by dragging your browser window wider and smaller, you will see the screen automatically refomat itself as the browser window width changes.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Thank you for making the forums available on Tapatalk!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
the size and format of the navigation bar are impacted by the width of your browser. if you are on a mobile device (phone/tablet) it wont show as many options as if you were on a desktop with the browser the full width of the screen.

you can actually play with this by dragging your browser window wider and smaller, you will see the screen automatically refomat itself as the browser window width changes.
I agree that playing with the window width on a PC changes the options that are available, the problem is that not everyone can really modify the window width as they may be on a mobile device. The two new options recently added, Threads You Ignore and Forums You Ignore, are really preference settings and not something that really makes sense to have on the tab bar. Also, when one does resized the window, these infrequently used options are the ones that remain and the one that is used more often, Mark Forums Read, is the one that disappears. Is there any setting where they can be moved to a different location?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
while im sure i could remove them from the top bar, im not sure where else they are available within the site (i didnt see the options in my user profile).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
while im sure i could remove them from the top bar, im not sure where else they are available within the site (i didnt see the options in my user profile).
I just found this. If you click on your user name in the upper right, you can access it under Settings-->Personal Details on the left.

Capture.JPG

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian / Doug:

I posted a link to TUG on a WYN FB comment today but the TUG logo is not present. It's the XenForo logo instead. The titling is correct but y'all know that people do pictures first, read second. How does this work for external links pointing to TUG?

IMG_0534.jpg

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ive updated this image, but it mentions it can take awahile for cache settings to reset and it show the new logo. will have to give it some time i suppose.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
appears i found a way to trigger the update, should be an oval logo similar to the one in my profile now.

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
appears i found a way to trigger the update, should be an oval logo similar to the one in my profile now.

BBS_FB_All Other.JPG BBS_FB_DVC.JPG BBS_FB_Hilton.JPG BBS_FB_Marriott.JPG BBS_FB_Vistana.JPG BBS_FB_Wyndham.JPG

Apparently the problem seems to be unique to the link for the Wyndham Forum (aren't we "special"?). I opened and closed browsers (tried several), copied links from all of the other TS Systems links, cleared cache over and over and they all work correctly EXCEPT Wyndham.

Nertz...:eek:

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well, wyndham is pretty special =)

its likely just a cache issue though...should clear itself up eventually!

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)

Mark Forums Read is back as my first button in the navigation bar again! Thanks

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mark Forums Read is back as my first button in the navigation bar again! Thanks

Yes, much better... Thanks everyone! I noticed the ignore thread info can still be viewed in member information area, so it is still available.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Haven't read this thread but thought I'd post an issue I see (may have been posted by another).

When I reply to a private message I see an error message display after submission, though there really wasn't an error in sending it. When I see the error I reload the page and my reply is listed correctly. This has happened several times now.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Another... today I received five (5) identical emails over three (3) minutes of a private message reply. Never mind. There ultimately were eight (8) of these messages but the sender just confirmed that they resent multiple times because they also saw the error message when replying that I mentioned in my previous post.

On a related topic, why would this new system permit email notifications but not have the capability to handle replies via email?

Please do not reply to this email.

You must visit Timeshare Users Group Online Discussion Forums to reply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.