• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official TUGBBS upgrade complaint/suggestion thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
New Posts shows all unread posts. Recent Posts shows all recent posts including those that you have read.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
New Posts shows all unread posts. Recent Posts shows all recent posts including those that you have read.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
I just looked up the configuration options on this. Our XenForo bbs software keeps track of the last 7 days of recent posts.

"Recent Posts" uses the board's search capabilites to return up to the most recent 200 400 posts, as far back as 7 days.

Out of those most recent 7 days of posts, "New Posts" returns those you have not read, up to the most recent 200 400 of them.

You can prevent forum posts you're not interested in from showing in these search results by selecting the "ignore" option in their forums or threads.

I've just changed the name of the "New Posts" option to "Unread Posts" to better describe its function.

Edit: Search return has been increased from 200 to 400 hits.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:I like this change.
I just looked up the configuration options on this. Our XenForo bbs software keeps track of the last 7 days of recent posts.

"Recent Posts" uses the board's search capabilites to return up to the most recent 200 posts, as far back as 7 days.

Out of those most recent 7 days of posts, "New Posts" returns those you have not read, up to the most recent 200 of them.

You can prevent forum posts you're not interested in from showing in these search results by selecting the "ignore" option in their forums or threads.

I've just changed the name of the "New Posts" option to "Unread Posts" to better describe its function.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I've replied to conversations since the update but I have one now and I can't see how to respond.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I've replied to conversations since the update but I have one now and I can't see how to respond.
It is possible that the person that started the conversation checked the box not allowing replies.

BondGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aquamarine Villas, Fox Run, Castleburn
What is the fastest/easiest way to bounce from one thread to the next in a given forum, without going back "up" a level? In other words, to scroll from thread to thread to quickly scan for relevant conversations?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im not sure such a feature exists, but the closest thing i can suggest (other than hitting the back button) is using the small diagonal arrow/box link at the top and bottom right hand corners of every post. this is the "quick navigation" button to get you just about anywhere on the site.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is the fastest/easiest way to bounce from one thread to the next in a given forum, without going back "up" a level? In other words, to scroll from thread to thread to quickly scan for relevant conversations?
What I do is open each thread in its own window or browser tab. Right-click on the thread name (Ctrl-click on a Mac) and choose the appropriate opening option. In some browsers you can do this via a middle-click on the mouse's scroll wheel. You can open threads one at a time or open several then read them all.

When done with a thread I then just close its window or tab. When I've closed all the threads, the original window or tab with the thread list for the forum is still there, just as I left it, to choose the next threads I want to view.

BondGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aquamarine Villas, Fox Run, Castleburn
What I do is open each thread in its own window or browser tab. Right-click on the thread name (Ctrl-click on a Mac) and choose the appropriate opening option. In some browsers you can do this via a middle-click on the mouse's scroll wheel. You can open threads one at a time or open several then read them all.

When done with a thread I then just close its window or tab. When I've closed all the threads, the original window or tab with the thread list for the forum is still there, just as I left it, to choose the next threads I want to view.
Thanks - that helps

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks - that helps
I do that with every forum I visit, started years ago, long before browsers had tabbed viewing and one had to open each page in a separate window if it was desired to have more than one page available at a time. Tabbed browsing made it better by lowering memory usage.

The only drawback I've found to opening a bunch of threads at once is by the time you get to one that's been opened for a while there may be newer responses you're not seeing that already adequately provide the info you're about to supply with your reply. You can limit this possibility by refreshing the page before adding your reply.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now it's called "Unread Posts".

Yes, but it it lists all the unread posts, regardless of when they were posted. I check the site pretty much daily and I have 8 pages to go through. Also, there used to be a line separating those that I've read and those that haven't been read.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Yes, but it it lists all the unread posts, regardless of when they were posted. I check the site pretty much daily and I have 8 pages to go through. Also, there used to be a line separating those that I've read and those that haven't been read.
You need to click on Mark Forums read when you finish. The next time, it will only show the unread posts since your last visit. Mostly. Sometimes unread posts still pop up from a previous visit, but it works most of the time.
Sue

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also note there is a line marker between unread posts since your last visit, and unread posts period so you can tell where you truly "left off" since your last visit to the forums if you didnt click mark all as read.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This may be addressed somewhere, but I'm too lazy to check:

On the old forum there was a clickable option to see My Posts, where I could go directly to posts I'd made on whichever thread. Is that an option with the new software? It's a nuisance to have to wade down through all the Recent or Unread Posts to see if maybe someone replied to something I said, if I can even remember the name of the thread. I don't want to have to subscribe to a thread or watch it, unless I have to. Are there options?

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
This may be addressed somewhere, but I'm too lazy to check:

On the old forum there was a clickable option to see My Posts, where I could go directly to posts I'd made on whichever thread. Is that an option with the new software? It's a nuisance to have to wade down through all the Recent or Unread Posts to see if maybe someone replied to something I said, if I can even remember the name of the thread. I don't want to have to subscribe to a thread or watch it, unless I have to. Are there options?

Dave
You should have it setup in your preferences to automatically watch any thread that you start or reply to. Then you can use the Watched Threads to see if anyone replies to them.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ok. I see it now. Thanks!

Dave

Password is taco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Barony Beach
SVV - Key West
While I realize it's a common limitation on forums, the fact that you can't do a forum search with only three letters is especially problematic for TUG BBS because Interval International resort codes are three letters. A lot of members will only use the resort codes to refer to resorts so if you do a search on the resort name you aren't going to be able to get complete results.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
While I realize it's a common limitation on forums, the fact that you can't do a forum search with only three letters is especially problematic for TUG BBS because Interval International resort codes are three letters. A lot of members will only use the resort codes to refer to resorts so if you do a search on the resort name you aren't going to be able to get complete results.
Please see this post in the BBS Help section: http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/searching-the-tug-website.81078/

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you post a quotation as a signature? I did find the profile edit page and added it as a 'status,' so this is a test of that.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you post a quotation as a signature? I did find the profile edit page and added it as a 'status,' so this is a test of that.
Well, that didn't work. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.