• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

One of your best recommendations for Florida beaches/resorts

Best Florida Beach location

• Total voters

nursie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have a place you love in Florida? A favorite location/beach/resort? Please share.
We are trying to plan a trip to Hawaii or Florida. Family of 8, ages at time of travel will be 10,12,14,16.17,23 plus parents, It will be an RCI weeks exchange.
Not really interested in doing Orlando on this trip, we had a month long trip to Disneyworld in the past and had a blast but want a Beach vacation, possibly for 2 weeks. Willing to try 2 back to back locations at same or different location.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Why not the Cocoa Beach area? From there you can visit Kennedy Space Center, which is fascinating.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
If you want nice sandy beaches & calm (for the most part) waters then the Gulf side is good. If you want wide beaches (that you can drive on) then Daytona - St Augustine is good. The Atlantic is cooler (unless you go in late summer / early fall) but lots of big waves for jumping in or surfing. We found the south Florida Atlantic beaches on too much of a slope for comfortable walking and the depth of the water dropped off faster than the north end of Florida. Of course you should teach & warn your kids about rip tides if staying on the Atlantic side.

Timeshare availability is better on the Atlantic side just due to the quantity of them. Many timeshares in the Daytona area are converted motels and not purpose built, like in the Orlando area, so they tend to be smaller.

~Diane

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My Florida beach vacations this year are...
-- Longboat Key (which is close to Siesta)
-- Marco Island (could not get Sanibel-Captiva), back-to-back with
-- Plantation Beach Club on Hutchinson Island (Atlantic).

Bathtub Reef Beach on Hutchinson Island...
bathtub-calm.jpg

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We've stayed at Casa Ybel and the Sanibel Beach Club on Sanibel, the Plantation House at South Seas Island Resort on Captiva, Vanderbilt Beach Club and Gulf Pointe Intervals in Naples. We've stayed on Marco Island and in Sarasota and number of the resorts in both places are good. On the east coast side we've stayed at Sea Gardens in Pompano Beach, Plantation Beach Club in Stuart, Ocean Walk in Daytona. In the panhandle of Florida we've stayed in Panama City Beach and Destin.

From the size of your group I would think you would want a three bedroom unit and your best selection of them would be with the Wyndham resorts like Ocean Walk in Daytona Beach, Panama City Beach and Destin. The Ventura in Boca Raton has nice three bedroom units and it is a nice area.

You could probably get 2 two bedroom units at Sea Gardens in Pompano Beach, Vanderbilt Beach Club in Naples, Plantation Beach Club in Stuart or one of the Marco Island resorts.

We love Sanibel and Captiva. However if you are looking for a lot of activities then I would look at Daytona, Panama City Beach or the Pompano Beach/Boca Raton resorts.

nursie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm noticing that the majority of units where we would like to stay are sleep 6 maximum. I may be faced to look at limited resorts/locations, try to sleep 7-8 of us in a sleeps 6, or exchange into 2 units (not ideal but) which we would be willing to do if we get our desired location. What is the likelihood of getting 2 units at the same location/same week is also a concern. Thoughts on strategies to make this work? We would go during summer months June 6-August 26 time frame.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Do you own a timeshare and if so where and in what system, Wyndham, Hilton, RCI? If you are an owner, not a renter, both Wyndham and RCI have a cancellation window, as I would guess most systems do. If you can find a week to book you can call the resort to see if they have a unit that same week available to rent. Many owners who aren't using their units have the resort handle the rental except for Wyndham, they have the Extra Holidays program. If the resorts don't have anything you can cancel the week you have held or booked, as long as it is within the cancellation period with no penalty for your timeshare system.

If you narrow your list of resorts/areas you are interested in, you can contact anyone here on TUG, eBay, Redweek to see if they are able to get you a second unit at the same resort they have listed.

You could also contact a big eBay seller or rental business like JustGottaGo and see what they can come up with once you select your preferred area.

Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Ocean Walk in Daytona Beach, Wyndham Emerald Grande in Destin and the Ventura in Boca Raton all have 3 bedroom units. Maybe OP can add some other beach resorts that they know of that have 3 bedroom units.

nursie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 2 weeks Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (VRI )fixed weeks in March. We want to travel with our kids during summer months so that doesn't work. We deposit those weeks and 4 others that we own in Minnesota which gives us a LOT of trading power units/points. We need to use those through RCI or I could deposit Ft Lauderdale weeks into II but I already have a bunch of TPUs banked in the RCI account so ideally would prefer to use those first. I do think the Gulf side would be best since we do have so many children and special needs also a factor, also would love to do the Keys for a week. We definitely want to be on the beach. We contemplated doing Orange Lake in Orlando but as I've mentioned we've done the Orlando thing and wanted this to be sand and surf. Do not want to pay for passports for 7 people, expensive airfare for 8 so ruling out some of the exotic locations that originally sounded fun as a couple but not ideal as a 'family' vacation. The Wyndham properties are great. Stayed in New Braunfels, TX and Wisconsin Dells, WI and enjoyed both of those resorts immensely.
Keep the advice/tips coming. Much appreciated.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I live in florida, and still think the keys is an amazing place for a vacation!

I dont care for all the touristy part of key west though...i can find the same weather/fishing/diving/etc in key largo...and avoid extra hours in the car driving!

swditz

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westgate palace wk 52
briarwood cape cod wk 30
surfside cape cod wk 41
falls at Ogunquit wk 21
discovery beach wk 7
captains quarters wk 38
65000 inn season points
Why not the Cocoa Beach area? From there you can visit Kennedy Space Center, which is fascinating.
Second for cocoa beach. Love the area and the less crowded beaches! Will be there in 3 weeks:)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you look at depositing your FLBR weeks into VRIeity instand of RCI? Or you could have rented your March FLBR weeks and taken the cash to rent summer option.

I own at FLBR and have found Feb & Mar to be great rental units ... and I also believe, when deposited into RCI ...you get more TPU by depositing the 1/1 and studios separately and paying to combined.

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
okay, we've lived in southeast florida since 1992, and have been all over this state over the last 25 years. And I don't think we've seen anything as pretty as the pan handle beaches.... that sand is like powdered sugar and the water is amazing... going to Beach Street Cottages and can't wait... why isn't Panama City/Destin not on the list????

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Second for cocoa beach. Love the area and the less crowded beaches! Will be there in 3 weeks:)

I forgot about Cocoa Beach and we own there! Duh. I know that Discovery Beach Resort has three bedroom units. There is a cafe at the resort that has good food and the prices are reasonable too.

At the Baja Chowder and Seafood restaurant we love the Grouper Pot Pie (with a crab cake crust). It is $9.95 on the early bird menu and $12.95 on the regular menu. The BOGO coupon is even good on the early bird menu. Every time we've been there they have the Bajaritas for $3; their version of a margarita.

BajaCoupons.jpg

nursie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I put Landmark Holiday Beach Resort at Panama City Beach on hold. It looks like a nice area, beautiful beach, and had a summer week available. Anyone stayed there? There are some mixed reviews on RCI, Tripadvisor, etc. Glad to see Joe recommends this area. I think we will confirm it and look for 1-2 additional weeks in Florida to book.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm noticing that the majority of units where we would like to stay are sleep 6 maximum. I may be faced to look at limited resorts/locations, try to sleep 7-8 of us in a sleeps 6... <snip>

One observation I must offer here is that it might be a flawed plan to just assume that you can put 8 people in a "sleeps 6" unit.
Some timeshare resorts are quite strict about compliance with occupancy limits, concerned with local fire codes and / or insurance issues.
I'm sure there are places / instances where you could "pull it off"; I am merely noting that you should maybe not just assume you can do so.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
I put Landmark Holiday Beach Resort at Panama City Beach on hold. It looks like a nice area, beautiful beach, and had a summer week available. Anyone stayed there? There are some mixed reviews on RCI, Tripadvisor, etc. Glad to see Joe recommends this area. I think we will confirm it and look for 1-2 additional weeks in Florida to book.

Were you able to get a three bedroom unit at Landmark, if so great. Otherwise I agree with Theo! Also another observation, due to your family size and ages you may consider realigning your portfolio to fit your family (owning larger than 2BR's). It appears you will always have this battle and always trying to line up two units in a given week will be nerve wrecking. You will limit your self to areas to travel because 3BR+ units are not always readily available. SW Florida and the Keys for three BR's may be a chore, for example.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Since you mentioned Orange Lake, you should try to get a week at Cape Canaveral Holiday Inn Club. This was formally Ron. Jon. We stayed there and it was great for kids. Nice beach and lots of activities.
Silentg

nursie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you mentioned Orange Lake, you should try to get a week at Cape Canaveral Holiday Inn Club. This was formally Ron. Jon. We stayed there and it was great for kids. Nice beach and lots of activities.
Silentg
Thanks for the tip! I remember seeing that as Ron Jon. I just put in a request for a sleeps 8 unit, hoping for the best, still 20 months out so maybe we will get lucky?!
Were you able to get a three bedroom unit at Landmark, if so great. Otherwise I agree with Theo! Also another observation, due to your family size and ages you may consider realigning your portfolio to fit your family (owning larger than 2BR's). It appears you will always have this battle and always trying to line up two units in a given week will be nerve wrecking. You will limit your self to areas to travel because 3BR+ units are not always readily available. SW Florida and the Keys for three BR's may be a chore, for example.
We did! I confirmed a 3 BR for August 2018 at Landmark. Panama Beach City looks beautiful. Regarding our portfolio, we bought when we only had 3-4 in our family, We did foster care and ended up with 4 extra unexpected blessings, God has a sense of humor, wasn't our original plan, lol. I'm glad we started our timeshare journey when we first met. We now have such positive family vacation experiences compared to having to stay in 2 hotel rooms with no kitchen. LOVE that we have the option for our big family. When we are able to retire, we can be Snowbirds and travel for months with all of our trading power. :) Thanks for all info/advice.

nursie

TUG Member
Reaction score
One observation I must offer here is that it might be a flawed plan to just assume that you can put 8 people in a "sleeps 6" unit.
Some timeshare resorts are quite strict about compliance with occupancy limits, concerned with local fire codes and / or insurance issues.
I'm sure there are places / instances where you could "pull it off"; I am merely noting that you should maybe not just assume you can do so.
Point taken. We have almost always stayed in units that are 8 occupancy. It does limit us. I am not sure my entire group will be with us but I want to plan on all 8 making this vacation (one out of College, one of HS) so we are requesting 8 in case. We have occasionally had to make it work with a smaller unit when we didn't have the option for a larger unit and thankfully no one has turned us away. In fact, I have shared with different resort staff that our adopted children have 'special needs' and they have been very accommodating if I've had any questions/requests for them. Ideally, we will be able to book units large enough and won't have to worry about getting 2 units. Thanks!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's tough on Sanibel / Captiva where almost every single resort only sleeps 6. We do it anyway because our extra 2 are so tiny but I hate it. Most resorts have the capacity because that is how many can sleep in beds and not because of code but there are some resorts that strictly enforce it. Smaller resorts at spring break locations are known to evict capacity abusers. One place I had to list the name of every person that would occupy the room. Even the name of a baby.

nursie

TUG Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: so far, we have confirmed a sleeps 8 at Landmark resort Panama City Beach, FL and Lahaina Inn Resort 2 units each sleeping 4 at Fort Myers, FL.
Still have an ongoing search in for Key West, Marco Island, and we did throw in the Disney resorts in Orlando, Vero Beach, and Hilton Head. I'm guessing if we matched at Disney it wouldn't be until 5-7 months before the checkin date from my past experience.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
UPDATE: so far, we have confirmed a sleeps 8 at Landmark resort Panama City Beach, FL and Lahaina Inn Resort 2 units each sleeping 4 at Fort Myers, FL.
Still have an ongoing search in for Key West, Marco Island, and we did throw in the Disney resorts in Orlando, Vero Beach, and Hilton Head. I'm guessing if we matched at Disney it wouldn't be until 5-7 months before the checkin date from my past experience.
There aren't many that sleep eight on Marco. I know Charter Club doesn't. I don't think Club Regency does either. Eagles Nest is only one and two bedroom units. Surf Club the same. The Holiday Inn resort, Sunset Cove does have three bedroom units, but it isn't on the beach. You either have to drive to the beach or take their shuttle - about one mile. You don't park for free if you drive yourself and you'll need to enter at the Public Beach Access.

As for Disney, Vero Beach and Hilton Head Island doesn't come up very much. Usually only Saratoga Springs (you would fit in a two bedroom, but they usually only have one bedroom units).

Nmicensky

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Resort on Cocoa Beach
We have vacationed at all of the locations on the list. Of course they all are great, but the Cocoa Beach area is our favorite. The beaches are beautiful, great for walking, and not very crowded. Best surfing on the east coast! There are about 150 restaurants in the area. Plenty of outdoor activities as well. We like kayaking on the inter coastal side. You can drive to the Orlando parks in an hour or less, and at the end of the day return to a resort on the beach! We own three weeks at The Resort on Cocoa Beach. We usually use one week and trade or rent the other weeks. We have also stayed at the Ron Jon timeshare (same developer as The Resort and Discovery Beach). The beach is nicer at The Resort, but the others are fine as well. All units at The Resort are two bedrooms.

Our units at The Resort are all reserved for 2017, but if you are ever interested in staying in the area contact me and I'll see if I can help you out. My wife and I are retiring and are open to trading to other areas, etc. I can reserve any week as long as it's available.

Hope that helps.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not having been to the Keys(Cays?) My beach vote is for the West Palm/Jupiter area. Been to FT Myers/Cape Coral area. Been to Daytona and Cocoa area. Been to the Panhandle area.
Great beach access, with plenty of free parking, changing areas and showers. Great for beaching it even if staying off beach. However, with a load of kids in tow and the desire to possibly do more than beach-Daytona/Cocoa gives you more choices.