• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

One way airline ticket from Europe to US hubs?

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Recommendations please for flying one way to USA from any major European hub. Consider price and convenience. Anyone? TIA for advice!

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used Momondo to search for a Oslo to Kauai flight. It came up with a considerably cheaper/better set of flights than anywhere else. It was only after paying that I found it was actually a return flight, and this lowered the cost considerably. (I just ignored the return portion of the ticket.)

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I used to use ITA for fare searches but they were taken over by Google and now it's Google Flights.

You can search for flights from all of Europe using that tool. There's a feature that shows the lowest price flights in the menu someplace.

Difficult to cover "convenience" since you want to cover all of Europe and all of the USA.;)

Cheers

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I used to use ITA for fare searches but they were taken over by Google and now it's Google Flights.

You can search for flights from all of Europe using that tool. There's a feature that shows the lowest price flights in the menu someplace.

Difficult to cover "convenience" since you want to cover all of Europe and all of the USA.;)

Cheers
I remembered reading somewhere the ITA Matrix is somewhat different from Google Flights. For more info, see
What is the Difference Between Google Flights and the ITA Matrix?
From Travel.Stackexchange.com

"The ITA Matrix software was developed by MIT engineers. ITA was then purchased by Google, and used to power Google Flights (as well as other non-google flight search engines). Quoting from the ITA website:

In the mid-nineties, a group of MIT computer scientists took aim at a complex computing challenge that had plagued the travel industry for three decades: how to quickly, consistently and accurately identify the best available airfares without relying on high-cost, low-efficiency mainframe computers. The results of their work was a revolutionary airfare pricing & shopping engine called QPX. The beta version of QPX was first introduced to the public in November 1999, and Orbitz became the first customer in 2001.

On April 12, 2011, Google acquired ITA Software, and shortly thereafter launched Google Flight Search, an incredibly fast and easy way to search and plan travel. So the Matrix isn't better nor worse than Google flights, since the former relies on the latter when looking for flights. It's just a matter of using one tool versus the other. Personally I stick with the Matrix because I've grown fond of the interface.

The main feature difference would be that you can purchase some plane tickets via Google Flights, whereas the Matrix itself does not allow you to do so. Moreover, the ITA Matrix seems to give you many more search options than Google Flights. Finally, Google Flights, being a Google product, will integrate with other Google products whereas the "pure" Matrix might not always...."

Richard

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
When?

I looked at a return to US for 3 days away recently and found $300 fares on WOW, but for 7 days out they were over $500.

I would be checking WOW and the other Icelandic airlines, and also Norwegian these days. As they open up new destinations, they have cheap tickets to those places.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The ITA app hasn't been available in the Apple App Store for a while. I have it on my older iPad but can't get it on my new one:mad:.

Cheers

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked Norwegian Airlines back from Europe last year. It was only $250 one-way from CPH to LAX including bags/meals. I believe all their flights are priced in one-way segments and the further out you book, the cheaper.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The ITA app hasn't been available in the Apple App Store for a while. I have it on my older iPad but can't get it on my new one:mad:.

Cheers
Open up your browser and put in matrix.itasoftware.com

This should work for you.

Best regards,

Richard

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Great tips. Thanks everyone!

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked Norwegian Airlines back from Europe last year. It was only $250 one-way from CPH to LAX including bags/meals. I believe all their flights are priced in one-way segments and the further out you book, the cheaper.

How did you like Norwegian? I am looking at a cheap OAK to CPH flight but am hesitant to book after reading review. That's a long flight to be miserable !

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
How did you like Norwegian? I am looking at a cheap OAK to CPH flight but am hesitant to book after reading review. That's a long flight to be miserable !
I thought it was great. Brand new 787 aircraft, comfortable seats, really nice in-seat entertainment. We paid for the in-flight meals (which were frankly not very good ) so we probably got better service than those who didn't pay. If I were to fly them again, I'd just grab some meals and drinks to carry on the plane. My only hesitation booking them was we needed to get to SLC so we had to book another airline back from LAX and cross our fingers that the flight from CPH into LAX wasn't late. Alas, it was almost an hour early so we had plenty of times to get our bags, clear customs, and re-check them with Southwest.

I'm only one data point out there, of course, but I really wish they fley out of SLC - they'd be my go-to option.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks ! So you booked the cheapest seat ? I am looking at flying with miles from PDX to OAK or LAS then catching a Norwegian flight .
I booked the Low Fare+ which gave me a checked bag, meals, and a seat assignment. If I were to do it again, I'd probably just book the lowest fare available and pay for my bag and skip the meals and seat assignment.

If you're flying Norwegian, you might want to consider just driving up to SEA and flying from there. There won't be a direct to CPH, but you'd connect through London and at least that way your whole ticket would be on one airline and you wouldn't have to worry about rebooking if you missed a connection.

Or another option out of PDX is Icelandair. They have a good reputation, they're inexpensive (maybe not so much as Norwegian) and they price out in one-way segments as well.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for your reply. SEA to CPH fares have a stopover at Gatwick, anywhere from 13 to 19 hours, not very appealing. I have been looking at Icelandic Air, they are not so inexpensive anymore.