• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [MERGED]

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's back again (June 1, 2017)....just got this email.....
Thank you very, very much for the heads up. A phone call, a few exchanged emails, and a back and forth on a FedEx package later my recently purchased MOC Napili Oceanfront is well on it's way to being enrolled.

I had expected to have to wait for the 10th anniversary to enroll my week. If MVCI makes this an annual event it could do wonders for my resale values...;-)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Thank you very, very much for the heads up. A phone call, a few exchanged emails, and a back and forth on a FedEx package later my recently purchased MOC Napili Oceanfront is well on it's way to being enrolled.

I had expected to have to wait for the 10th anniversary to enroll my week. If MVCI makes this an annual event it could do wonders for my resale values...;-)

Do you really think that the external resale market prices would be propped up by MVW offering this on a semi-regular basis? I'm not sure it would because enrollment by the buyer would still come with a requirement to purchase DC Points, and the resale market has always been controlled by those who want Weeks at the lowest possible price. Consider that even with this occasional offer from MVW, TUG wisdom remains that Weeks for home usage/II exchanges are still the least expensive option of all that MVW offers. Bundle Packages (enrolled Weeks and DC Points) are usually the least expensive option if you want to play in Points, but I don't see them controlling the resale market anytime soon.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

It's back again (June 1, 2017)....just got this email.....

--------------------------------

Just announced this morning that we can “enroll” post-2010 externally purchased weeks from today through September 30th. From our internal announcement – “this is a limited time, special offer to celebrate our growth of new resorts, culinary tours, resort credits and more.”

3000 Points purchase enrolls 1 week (or 2 EOYs)
4000 Points purchase enrolls 2 weeks (or up to 4 EOYs)
5500 Points purchase enrolls 3-7 weeks (or up to 14 EOYs)
  • Does not apply to Ritz Carlton or Grand Residence Club ownership
  • US residents/ownership only

Best,

Greg
Greg, can you please start a new thread. I think this is too important for a post in an old thread. Marylyn

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg, can you please start a new thread. I think this is too important for a post in an old thread. Marylyn

Marilyn, all of these similar offers are being consolidated in this one thread for two reasons - to aid in TUG's Search feature but more importantly, to help us track how often MVW allows it and how the terms may change with each succeeding offer. Breaking them out into separate threads would cause problems with the continuity. Also worth noting is that this single thread is linked in the DC Points FAQ, meaning a moderator doesn't have to edit the FAQ each time the offer is opened.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marilyn, all of these similar offers are being consolidated in this one thread for two reasons - to aid in TUG's Search feature but more importantly, to help us track how often MVW allows it and how the terms may change with each succeeding offer. Breaking them out into separate threads would cause problems with the continuity. Also worth noting is that this single thread is linked in the DC Points FAQ, meaning a moderator doesn't have to edit the FAQ each time the offer is opened.
Ok now I understand. Good thinking! BTW,What does MVW mean? Marriott ___ ____?

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
US Residents/Ownership only

1. I presume this means that PBC or Euro-weeks cannot be enrolled? (that's how I would interpret the 'ownership' reference)

2. Does anyone know what MVW procedures for change of address or residency are?

I'd quite like to enroll my resale portfolio using this offer but if genuinely only available to US residents I might struggle somewhat. On the other hand because I've already set up a US mailing address, US Bank account, US Tax number etc, perhaps I could change my correspondence address with MVW and then qualify for this offer as a US Resident.

I do not have (nor am I seeking) 'resident alien' status - I just wanted to be considered a resident by MVW for the purposes of this promotion - anyone think this is likely to be achievable? - I'd appreciate any advice on that issue.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
They will probably need an actual street address in the USA. If you have one of those, and a valid US ID, driver's license, passport, etc you'll be fine.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Do you really think that the external resale market prices would be propped up by MVW offering this on a semi-regular basis? I'm not sure it would because enrollment by the buyer would still come with a requirement to purchase DC Points, and the resale market has always been controlled by those who want Weeks at the lowest possible price. Consider that even with this occasional offer from MVW, TUG wisdom remains that Weeks for home usage/II exchanges are still the least expensive option of all that MVW offers. Bundle Packages (enrolled Weeks and DC Points) are usually the least expensive option if you want to play in Points, but I don't see them controlling the resale market anytime soon.

In one sense, I would say 'No' primarily because the enrollment would not transfer when ljmiii sold their week. On the other hand, resale prices of desirable high point value weeks could get a 'bounce' if MVCI offering regular enrollment opportunities becomes the pattern and folks start shopping for weeks to buy for enrollment in a future offering. I don't think we're talking a big increase, but if average sales prices for Hawaii or other high value weeks trickle up 10% higher, that's still better than where they are today right?

Travelmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are the details of this offer posted online somewhere? I took a quick scan around the owners website and couldn't seem to find any mention of it. Maybe I just missed it....

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok now I understand. Good thinking! BTW,What does MVW mean? Marriott ___ ____?

Marriott Vacations Worldwide (company name after the timeshare business spun off from Marriott, Int'l)

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you really think that the external resale market prices would be propped up by MVW offering this on a semi-regular basis?...Bundle Packages (enrolled Weeks and DC Points) are usually the least expensive option if you want to play in Points, but I don't see them controlling the resale market anytime soon.
I do...if you allow me a little leeway on 'anytime soon'. If I were a well informed newbie who was starting fresh and liked Marriott resorts I would buy the 5-7 weeks that offered the best combination of DPs/$$ in the places I want to visit and wait for the next enrollment offer. I do understand that the set of 'well informed newbies' is small. But I do think that if buyers and sellers come to believe that enrollment offers are an annual affair the DP value of a MVCI week as part of a 'homebrew' hybrid package will help put a floor under the price of that week.

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is quite interesting. I'm in the process of closing on two weeks. If I was able to enroll these two weeks, It would triple the number of DP I have access to. The problem is that I don't want to spend another $44k on buying more points. I need to find a way to have them enroll my weeks for free as they're pretty prime weeks.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Steven, wouldn't a $1000 Encore package do that or do you know if there's a limit on Encore packages they'll allow with the enrollment option.
Encore packages won't enroll post 2010 resales.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
It would be great to have this option, but we enjoy using our weeks, and as long as they are still working for us, we won't be spending $44k. Well, even if they weren't still working for us, $44k is just too much for us to spend.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be great to have this option, but we enjoy using our weeks, and as long as they are still working for us, we won't be spending $44k. Well, even if they weren't still working for us, $44k is just too much for us to spend.

Now the question becomes would you do the transaction for half price @ $22K ?

Do the deal for $44K, then turn around and sell all those points you just purchased. You'll likely get $22K for them on the resale market.

Always a way to get to the piece of cheese at a lot lower price!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Now the question becomes would you do the transaction for half price @ $22K ?

Do the deal for $44K, then turn around and sell all those points you just purchased. You'll likely get $22K for them on the resale market.

Always a way to get to the piece of cheese at a lot lower price!

I have contemplated that. The only problem that I have now is the resale price of points is closer to $4 a point. So with 3500 points you would be looking at only recouping $14k. So to enroll 3 weeks it would cost you $30k. Would take me 30+ years of lock off fees and trade fees to make the numbers work.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd consider it at $10k. Not at $22k. For $10k, I could buy the necessary points needed to get to presidential. I mean, I have 2 weeks in Maui Lahaina, 3BR OF. I just need them to feel like they want these weeks available in the Destination program.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The fact that this is the 3rd promotion (for post 2010 weeks) and rather than lowering the threshold, it has gone up each time doesn't bode well that they would half the requirement from the first offer.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
The fact that this is the 3rd promotion (for post 2010 weeks) and rather than lowering the threshold, it has gone up each time doesn't bode well that they would half the requirement from the first offer.
I think what they are getting at is that if your real motivation is to just get your weeks enrolled (and you don't really care/need the points you have to buy to get those weeks enrolled), you buy the required points for enrollment and then turn around and sell them. Deducting whatever monies you recoup from selling the points you bought to enroll your weeks, whatever is left is your 'cost of enrollment'. If you spend $40k to buy the points required to enroll your weeks and then sell the points resale for $10k, (because you only wanted to enroll the weeks and don't need/care about the 'extra' points you bought) your real cost to enroll whatever weeks you owned would be $30k.

The resale market being what it currently is, I think recouping 50% is an unrealistic expectation, but 25%-33% isn't.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think what they are getting at is that if your real motivation is to just get your weeks enrolled (and you don't really care/need the points you have to buy to get those weeks enrolled), you buy the required points for enrollment and then turn around and sell them. Deducting whatever monies you recoup from selling the points you bought to enroll your weeks, whatever is left is your 'cost of enrollment'. If you spend $40k to buy the points required to enroll your weeks and then sell the points resale for $10k, (because you only wanted to enroll the weeks and don't need/care about the 'extra' points you bought) your real cost to enroll whatever weeks you owned would be $30k.

The resale market being what it currently is, I think recouping 50% is an unrealistic expectation, but 25%-33% isn't.

Why would anyone want to enroll their weeks and not want to keep the points they purchased? The only scenario I can think of is if you have enough points for Chairman's level and that makes you happy! (and you dont need or want all the superfluous points--- and don't want to pay yearly fees for them)