TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Owners update showed me a very high MF.

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by arnief, Jan 9, 2017.

1. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Could be they've changed this policy if they now believe they have an angle that can "Hiltonize" resale points. They may have decided to start targeting resale buyers again and using fear to get them to buy developer points to legitimize their resale points of face restrictions or hefty fee's on those resale contracts. Sounds like the old Sunterra/DRI presentation which is now used by Marriott as well.

2. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

No to resale buyers recently at HHV. I was just there over christmas week and was told no to resale buyers. HGVC must have figured out there is no way that resale buyers will be paying retail prices for the same product.

Heck i haven't had Marriott invite me for an update in years also. Went to lakeshore reserve and the guy was like come on over for your discount card. He seemed all happy and giddy that someone said ok. Asked me my name and when he pulled up the screen his smile vanished. Said here is your discount card and i was on my way. Must say something on that screen like frank is a leper so get him out of here !

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

3. Ty1on

Ty1on TUG Member

Tug member Raygo is living proof that resale owners can be flipped to retail (Wyndham, in this case). He is a vastly unique person in many ways, though :banana:

vacationhopeful likes this.
  4. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

If marriott let me enroll all my marriott weeks for a reasonable price, i would enroll my week in the destination club program. Would save me all the exchange fees that i pay interval yearly.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

5. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I concur with your thinking here but I need to add a scenario to emphasis the developer sales person's problem. If you were shopping for a car and at one dealer they said that the 2017 Chevy was $7000, and at the dealer in the next town they said that the 2017 Chevy was $37,000 would you buy from the second car dealer. Perhaps the second car dealer would try to say that the first car dealer car didn't contain things that you can't see such as: no gas tank so after the gas in the fuel lines burned off the car would stop, no warranty to fix the car if it broke, no alternator so that when the battery went dead the battery wouldn't get recharged, no air bags etc. Resales do have a difference; they don't get Elite Benefits. If I was told otherwise I would pursue it up the ladder at the sales office and then at HGVC to get the true story.

6. 1Kflyerguy

1Kflyerguy TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Kings Land
    Other than the obvious push to get me to purchase, most of my owners updates have been relatively pleasant.. They certainly make everything look very rosy, but i don't recall any outright lies..

7. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    Maybe not when dealing with the great & powerful Oz, but as seen by this thread, they are not reluctant to lie about resales and they certainly forget to mention things like availability issues, the ever increasing club, transaction and MF's, or how HOA boards are stooges for HGVC.

Just saying that full-disclosure isn't a strong suit in their playbook. If I ever go to one of those again, I'll bring printouts of their 2012 fee-list, my MF bills, and posts here about HOA boards using MF's to buy i-pads and their clunky website.

These may be minor quibbles and par for the course, but I say, hold their feet to the fire.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  8. 1Kflyerguy

1Kflyerguy TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Kings Land
    I agree 100% with you on that. They definetly know what details to leave out of the presentation or at least skirt arround..

As for the boards, the CCR for clubs i have read state that the board if fully controlled by HGVC until they reach a certain percentage of intervals are sold.. I think that is probably common with lots of real estate developments.. But of it seems many of the HGVC resort are in the development and sales stage for years or even decades, which leaves the boards captive..

9. Nomad420

Nomad420 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC New York Mid Town
    FWIW, I just paid activation fee of $335 for Hilton Club NYC developer purchase.

10. GT75

GT75 Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC-x6
    I assume that you purchased in 2016.

11. Nomad420

Nomad420 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC New York Mid Town
    Yes, end of November. Just closed. They extended the redemption period for Hilton Honors points which I indeed took advantage of. I have quite a few "Bonus Points" that I need to use up in the next 22 months.

12. Nomad420

Nomad420 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC New York Mid Town
    All this talk about resale buyers getting the bums rush and possible elevated MF's seems strange to me, I bought my prior two TS units in the resale market and have always been treated OK. Maybe because they are older properties and many like me. BTW, I pay the exact MF as everyone else for years. No "up charge" for resale buyers! Never have I even heard of that. I wouldn't by the property if that was tied to the deed, resale or direct.

13. arnief

arnief Guest

I'm just not sure if Hilton will change the "Rules" now that they are independant!?

14. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    This issue has come up before, even before it's "independence." IMHO, it's no more likely now than before. HGVC has always had the right to change the rules or even cancel the "club" -- its in the rules. However, changes in the covenants and declarations on record at the time of a sale cannot be changed retroactively, at least not without violating state laws or triggering a class-action lawsuit.

Since HGVC began in 1992 (25 years ago), it has shown no inclination to make substantial changes in its operation. At most, they've merely tweaked a few things and raised their fees. IMHO, its not worth worrying about.

PigsDad likes this.
  15. arnief

arnief Guest

I have been playing phone tag with the sales mgr who scheduled my appointment. When I speak with him to complain and since I have left Vegas, what compensation can I shoot for? HHonors points?

16. Tamaradarann

I don't know if you will get any compensation at this point. You shouldn't have left the presentation without your gift and should have confronted the sales manager when you were at the presentation with the information you were being given that you thought was erroneous. At this point hopefully you can get the facts straight for yourself as well as others at TUG concerning the difference in benefits and costs between developer and resales purchases.

Looking at the bigger picture, resale purchase owners having maintenance fees 2 1/2 times what they are for developer purchase owners is a lot more of an important issue for you as well as all of us than the show tickets.

17. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    At best, but since you can no longer get in their face and make a scene, prolly nada.
    <IMHO>

18. arnief

arnief Guest

Well that's OK but that crazy lady wouldn't let us leave! We were two hours in and she kept doing the disappearing act for 10 mins at a time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

19. Tamaradarann

She is under a lot of pressure to sell as I have indicated in posts. After 90 minutes you should have said that you are not buying, you should have spoken to the sales manager to clarify the story she was giving you, and asked for your well earned gift. If you don't follow the rules you don't get the gift. She was probably new and when you wouldn't buy she was disappering to see the sales manager to get more ammunition to fire at you since what she was giving you wasn't working.