• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pahio Kauai Beach Villas board election

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
drat, i wish id seen this last week to include in the newsletter...looks like itll be 2 days too late...but still a great read for KBV owners!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
They haven't voted yet - the meeting is June 1.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
oh nice, I saw earlier that the deadline was may 25? glad i got it in before then!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
May 25th is the deadline for owners to submit their proxy votes, and the actual meeting at which the voting will take place is June 1.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anyone know what happened at the June 1st election? :shrug:

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
Anyone know what happened at the June 1st election? :shrug:

Yup. I was there. I don't have the exact numbers, but Trish Harrington got the most number of votes at about 1300.

Here are your top 3 vote getters, the ones who will be on the board for the next 2 year term:

1) Trish Harrington
2) Danielle Ramos
3) Larry Walker

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup. I was there. I don't have the exact numbers, but Trish Harrington got the most number of votes at about 1300.

Here are your top 3 vote getters, the ones who will be on the board for the next 2 year term:

1) Trish Harrington
2) Danielle Ramos
3) Larry Walker

So don't keep us interlopers of this thread in suspense. Were these the independent candidates or Wyndham supported?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
Only Danielle, a.k.a. Dani, is a Wyndham person. She is a Wyndham employee. She has been involved with KBV for a long time. Trish Harrington is absolutely NOT a Wyndham person. From what I understand, Larry Warner (I mispelled his name in the last post. My apologies) is someone I don't know personally. He has tried to run a few times before. I understand that he is a traditional owner with interests in that direction.

I can tell you that Wyndham had about 3300 votes, having 1100 deeds in their possession (about 1/5th of the deeds), and used them entirely to vote for 3 Wyndham people, split 3 ways (about 1100 each). Of those, only Danielle got elected.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jeff - Thank you for the update. While I completely understand your desire to have a private forum for secure owner conversations, please don't leave TUG out of the loop, because we are certainly interested in issues, and we can also help get out the vote.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sure. I'm glad I discovered this group, too. But there are going to be things that need to be discussed, I think, in a more closed environment. We'll see how it works, anyway. I don't have much time today or tomorrow to much aside from some of my own work (I'm a working actor, and these next couple of days, including today, are busy for me.).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if you were in need of a private owner forum, we can provide such an item if you think thats something the HOA would go for!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
if you were in need of a private owner forum, we can provide such an item if you think thats something the HOA would go for!

How would you keep non-members of the group from reading the content?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
forum software has the ability to limit access to "subforums" to individual users or "groups" of users.

for example the SIGHTINGS forum is only visible to TUG members.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe the OP's goal is to prevent Wyndham management and Wyndham board members from accessing a private group, and since TUG doesn't filter access to private groups, there would be nothing to prevent Wyndham "infiltrators" from becoming TUG members and gaining access.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe the OP's goal is to prevent Wyndham management and Wyndham board members from accessing a private group, and since TUG doesn't filter access to private groups, there would be nothing to prevent Wyndham "infiltrators" from becoming TUG members and gaining access.

Correct. Thanks Denise!

JB

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,

For various reasons with a critical one being the ready access to the membership register per Jan 17, 2018 email from kbvinfo@gpresorts.com , I have decided to submit my name as a candidate for the Kauai Beach Villas (KBV) Board of Directors (BoD) once again. I have decided to re-use this thread from my prior two candidacies. At a minimum, anyone who wants to can assess my statements over that time frame.

Sara and I have already made arrangements to attend the May 2018 annual meeting in person.

I recently submitted my KBV candidate questionnaire. The following is extracted from the contents of that form:

KBV faces significant challenges. The proximate cause of high levels of bad debt for many timeshare resorts including KBV is the negligible or negative aftermarket value of timeshare units. If this were an easy problem to fix, many timeshare BODs would apply the fix. Consequently, it is a reasonable inference that it is not an easy problem to fix. Future success may require the active engagement of the majority of all the owners. Developing communities of common interest / action is the kind of challenge that I have thrived on in the past. Now that I am retired, I have the time and interest to help guide KBV to long term success.

Many of our owners are in or approaching a circumstance where it no longer makes sense for them to continue as owners (i.e. continue paying maintenance fees). It is not easy for these owners to find a buyer for their ownership. The impact of the KBV IOA competing to sell the non performing units it repossesses with current owners trying to get out needs to be carefully assessed. Solutions to this conundrum may require engagement of the majority of owners.
A key decision is whether the current ownership wants to realistically accept the challenge of remaining independent. Assuming they do, then the IOA (led by its BoD) needs to develop and implement strategies to increase the market demand to own KBV timeshares. To my knowledge, the IOA has never had a budget line for marketing.
However, if the majority of the owners do not want to financially commit to addressing the aftermarket challenge, then the consequences of that need to be fully communicated.
Regardless of one’s preferences, these challenges and ideas to meet them need to be communicated bi-directionally between the IOA board and the ownership base. Ultimately, the majority of the owners need to be sufficiently engaged that they actually vote their KBV ballots.

The last ten years of my Boeing career (2004-2014) were in the Office of Internal Governance / Global Trade Controls. I am quite familiar with reading regulations and assuring that plans and actions are compliant. Prior to that, I supported Boeing senior leadership in various tasks including strategic planning. Nearer the beginning of my 30 year Boeing career I was the manager of a group that was responsible for development of the long range capital plan and submittal of the annual capital budget (~$300M) for a major parts making division. I am well versed in the theory of constraints thinking processes which are integrated problem-solving tools based on rigorous cause-and-effect logic.

Mahalo,

Jack

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Good luck, Jack. I sold my KBV unit last year, or I'd certainly vote for you again. Your dedication to properly running the resort has a long history. I hope you make the Board this year.

Dave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha,

For various reasons with a critical one being the ready access to the membership register per Jan 17, 2018 email from kbvinfo@gpresorts.com , I have decided to submit my name as a candidate for the Kauai Beach Villas (KBV) Board of Directors (BoD) once again. I have decided to re-use this thread from my prior two candidacies. At a minimum, anyone who wants to can assess my statements over that time frame.

Sara and I have already made arrangements to attend the May 2018 annual meeting in person.

I recently submitted my KBV candidate questionnaire. The following is extracted from the contents of that form:

KBV faces significant challenges. The proximate cause of high levels of bad debt for many timeshare resorts including KBV is the negligible or negative aftermarket value of timeshare units. If this were an easy problem to fix, many timeshare BODs would apply the fix. Consequently, it is a reasonable inference that it is not an easy problem to fix. Future success may require the active engagement of the majority of all the owners. Developing communities of common interest / action is the kind of challenge that I have thrived on in the past. Now that I am retired, I have the time and interest to help guide KBV to long term success.

Many of our owners are in or approaching a circumstance where it no longer makes sense for them to continue as owners (i.e. continue paying maintenance fees). It is not easy for these owners to find a buyer for their ownership. The impact of the KBV IOA competing to sell the non performing units it repossesses with current owners trying to get out needs to be carefully assessed. Solutions to this conundrum may require engagement of the majority of owners.
A key decision is whether the current ownership wants to realistically accept the challenge of remaining independent. Assuming they do, then the IOA (led by its BoD) needs to develop and implement strategies to increase the market demand to own KBV timeshares. To my knowledge, the IOA has never had a budget line for marketing.
However, if the majority of the owners do not want to financially commit to addressing the aftermarket challenge, then the consequences of that need to be fully communicated.
Regardless of one’s preferences, these challenges and ideas to meet them need to be communicated bi-directionally between the IOA board and the ownership base. Ultimately, the majority of the owners need to be sufficiently engaged that they actually vote their KBV ballots.

The last ten years of my Boeing career (2004-2014) were in the Office of Internal Governance / Global Trade Controls. I am quite familiar with reading regulations and assuring that plans and actions are compliant. Prior to that, I supported Boeing senior leadership in various tasks including strategic planning. Nearer the beginning of my 30 year Boeing career I was the manager of a group that was responsible for development of the long range capital plan and submittal of the annual capital budget (~$300M) for a major parts making division. I am well versed in the theory of constraints thinking processes which are integrated problem-solving tools based on rigorous cause-and-effect logic.

Mahalo,

Jack

Aloha folks!

Just to let you know that I have also thrown my hat into the ring to run for the IOA board.

I wanted to respond to Jack's remarks about KBV needing a plan for marketing.

As some of you may know, I have been researching, keeping a fairly close eye, on Wyndham's practices as manager since 2005. I have published articles and editorials about it in the publication, TimeSharing Today. I was instrumental in introducing Grand Pacific as a management company to the KBV board, after experiencing several of their timeshares (I don't own any, but stayed at a few and was really impressed compared to what I experienced at KBV via Wyndham.). Part of that research has been the gradual decrease in the sense of value of spending a week at KBV relative to the maintenance fees. That, and it can seem a bit shabby around the edges. Still, the location is awesome. Lack of use of the facilities next door, leaving only the smallish pool and jacuzzi at the rear of the resort, doesn't help. Last year, I started the Yahoo KBV Owners group (You're welcome to be part of that too, if you're an owner. If you're interested in being on that list, send an email to kbvowners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

1) Regarding marketing, a major problem is that the hotel next door, with their relationship with Wyndham, has not allowed Grand Pacific to use any of their space to conduct on resort sales. That is HUGE. The most avid, motivated buyer will be the one that visits the resort and wants to buy in. With no physical space from which to conduct sales nor a model to show, that makes it hard to land the sale. I know I would have never bought a week without being on the property first.

Grand Pacific, furthermore, has done a GREAT job in increasing revenue from rentals. They raised over $800,000 last year. In comparison, in 2016, the last full year Wyndham was in charge of managing the timeshare resort, they did just over $100,000. So Grand Pacific has done really well to raise money to do upgrades (they are about to unveil internal unit upgrade plans as a result). But their hands are somewhat tied with regard to sales. Grand Pacific has been working big time on updating the owners list so that they contact deadbeat owners about paying their maintenance fees as well as making the list available for owners (for non-commercial uses).

And as a side note, Grand Pacific has also increased onsite activities to help make the experience of staying there more fun. They're also trying to organize off-site group trips, such as to museums and restaurants.

If I were to be elected, I would absolutely sure to make an upfront priority to figure out how to create a sales space for Grand Pacific (or whatever company manages our resort). As the units are upgraded (including more air conditioning in the units), and the overall resort experience goes up, there will be more demand to own. And the more paying owners there are, the more valuable your deed will be, and it will be easier to resell them. Furthermore, with more sales activity, it will allow Grand Pacific to help resell your deed. All the dominos, in effect, will follow.

2) On the front burner currently are negotiations, led by our General Manager, Clinton Owen (a Grand Pacific employee), to put in place an agreement between the hotel and KBV to allow KBV owners and guests to use the hotel facilities, including the pools and the workout club. The hotel board is supposed to be voting on the agreement (an agreement between their GM and our's has apparently been in place). Unfortunately, the board is not acting fast on voting on it.

Before any big time marketing is done, in any event, I think we would want it to be done when KBV's outside value is high. And again, with no physical facilities currently in which to close to deal, it's not optimal either.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Aloha,

Jeff Bellin

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aloha,

In a few days, I will commence sending out a board of directors campaign email to the approximately 3/4 of Kauai Beach Villas (KBV) owners who have provided an email address to KBV.

I have posted pdf files of the email message and attachment at https://sites.google.com/site/jackgoodstein/kauai-beach-villas

My printed candidate statement included the url for this TUG thread, so some KBV owners who did not provide their email may find this thread and use the link above to get the files. Of course, all tuggers are welcome to access it if they are interested.

I may choose to update the pdfs at my website in the next few days based on feedback received, but the file names are expected to remain the same. I plan to update the date in the header to reflect the date the pdf is posted.

Mahalo

Jack Goodstein

Last edited:

cdn_traveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, KBV, Raintree
Hi Jack,

Glad to give you our vote and our proxy. Unfortunately, aside from the email that we received recently from you and a couple of other candidates, we have not received anything in the mail about BOD elections. I'm now wondering if this been sent out to owners already and we just didn't get it.

Thanks,
Susan

DNRNFV

Reaction score
Aloha folks!

Just to let you know that I have also thrown my hat into the ring to run for the IOA board.

Jeff Bellin

Jeff, I appreciate your candidacy and would like to support it. Are you sending out a letter to owners directly? I will need to assign proxies for my two units.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jack,

Glad to give you our vote and our proxy. Unfortunately, aside from the email that we received recently from you and a couple of other candidates, we have not received anything in the mail about BOD elections. I'm now wondering if this been sent out to owners already and we just didn't get it.

Thanks,
Susan
Aloha Susan,
The USPS ballots are supposed to be mailed on Monday, April 2. It is my understanding that only three candidates will be on the ballot for two positions. One of the candidates is Linda Kolstad, the current president. I believe she controls all the Wyndham votes, so that leaves the other candidate & incumbent Lou Colombo and I vying for the remaining seat.
Jack

bryanphunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Westin Kierland Villa
Kauai Beach Villa
Look forward to vote for you Jack and Jeff. Been thinking of unloading my oceanfront unit, but I want to see how things improve. I think progress can be made. It is too bad that MF's are the same regardless of view. I realize the upkeep is no different if the unit is in Building A or Building H, but it sure makes a difference on the vacation experience. Best of luck on the upcoming election!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Look forward to vote for you Jack and Jeff. Been thinking of unloading my oceanfront unit, but I want to see how things improve. I think progress can be made. It is too bad that MF's are the same regardless of view. I realize the upkeep is no different if the unit is in Building A or Building H, but it sure makes a difference on the vacation experience. Best of luck on the upcoming election!

I might be wrong, but I thought that oceanfront unit maintenance fees are a little higher. I do know this, Bryan - your oceanfront deed is worth something on the open market. Do not ever just give it away, unless that your choice to do so.

Things ARE getting better at the resort, and have been since Grand Pacific took over.

I am considering going to the annual meeting to show support for the anti-Wyndham individual owners and candidates. I'm going to urge voting for Jack Goodstein (I did not make it onto the ballot this time, itself a issue with many), and, if you're not planning to attend yourself, to give your Proxy votes to Karen Blackford.

Aloha,

Jeff