• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else recently sign up for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card (with the $300 annual travel credit)?

I went ahead and prepaid $300 now with card and plan to pay remaining balance when due in 2017 (possibly end of Dec to post on Jan statement).

Based on credit per calendar year the "Travel Credit" should provide me $600 off my MF *CHEERS* :banana:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the card too. Great intro bonus of 100K points for the $450 annual fee. You should make sure that the maintenance fees will go through coded as travel so it is eligible for the rebate. Not all maintenance fees go through coded as travel.

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the card too. Great intro bonus of 100K points for the $450 annual fee. You should make sure that the maintenance fees will go through coded as travel so it is eligible for the rebate. Not all maintenance fees go through coded as travel.

I've used my SPG AMX past few years and those all posted as Travel - Lodging

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else recently sign up for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card (with the $300 annual travel credit)?

I went ahead and prepaid $300 now with card and plan to pay remaining balance when due in 2017 (possibly end of Dec to post on Jan statement).

Based on credit per calendar year the "Travel Credit" should provide me $600 off my MF *CHEERS* :banana:

Good to know...I may try it with the Ritz Carlton card equivalent benefit.

pharmgirl

Reaction score

Thinking about getting this, when is $450 annual fee due? Immediately?
How are 100,000 pts redeemed?

hvanv0405

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting this, when is $450 annual fee due? Immediately?
How are 100,000 pts redeemed?

The fee is pretty much being added immediately. . .some people have seen it on their account before the card arrives.

Mine posted about week after getting the card.

I can confirm the MF charge works for the "Travel Credit". The $300 I prepaid posted over the weekend and the $300 credit was instantly applied as well.

The 100K are Ultimate Rewards with Chase, and can be redeemed or transferred from your account for various options.

Maybe check out this link if not familiar wiht UR's http://thepointsguy.com/2016/06/redeeming-chase-ultimate-rewards-maximum-value/

**You get the 100K after spending $4k within 3mo of opening card.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got it too!

This card makes Starwood AmEx worthless. Besides the $300 per calendar year travel credit you ALSO get 3x Points AND the 3x points are worth 1.5 cents to purchase travel. SO, that is $300 per calendar year AND 4.5 cents towards travel. Much more valuable than Starwood AmEx!

Oh, and did I say you get 100,000 points to sign up and those points are worth 1.5 cents each for travel purchases so the sign up bonus is worth $1,500.

This card is awesome. 3x points on all travel AND timeshares (specifically says in the terms). 3x point on all restaurants.

The annual fee is $450 (posts immediately) but you get $300 back on travel purchases "each calendar year" which INCLUDES PAYING TIMESHASE MAINTENANCE FEES so the net fee is actually $150. The Starwood AmEx fee is $95 so diff is $55 for all this benefit.

Oh yeah, includes Primary rental car CDW AND Priority Pass Airline club entrance for you and your guests!

The FlyerTalk boards are nuts about this card.:cheer:

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read today that the CC is so popular they ran out of the plastic...

nokaoi9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Sheraton Vistana Villages
Another sucker soon to be happy customer. I signed up today.

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
I got it too!

This card makes Starwood AmEx worthless. Besides the $300 per calendar year travel credit you ALSO get 3x Points AND the 3x points are worth 1.5 cents to purchase travel. SO, that is $300 per calendar year AND 4.5 cents towards travel. Much more valuable than Starwood AmEx!

Sounds like a great deal! I've become so loyal to the SPG AMEX, it would be really hard for me to cancel.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm also considering applying for this card...looks good and likely the final nail in my SPG cards...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Looks tempting, but can the points only be used with these?

British Airways Executive Club
Flying Blue AIR FRANC KLM
Korean Air SKYPASS
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards®
United MileagePlus®
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Hyatt Gold Passport®
IHG® Rewards Club
Marriott Rewards®
The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®

We usually have to fly Delta or Alaska.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)

Korean Air SKYPASS
United MileagePlus®
Hyatt Gold Passport®
IHG® Rewards Club
Marriott Rewards®

Air France/KLM is a Delta partner, and British is an Alaska and AA partner. You can use the points on those airlines to book travel on the partners. I've used the BA Avios to fly on AA metal (at a far cheaper rate than the corresponding AA award ticket would have been).

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was declined. Too many cards opened within 2 years. I could upgrade the regular chase sapphire card that I have but no sign up bonus.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I was tempted to open up another card with an *okay* bonus a few months ago, but resisted. Glad I did so that I was free to take advantage of a really great offer. It's on par with the 115,000 point bonus I scored a few years ago with the Cap One card.

I've already been using my Chase Sapphire Preferred card religiously for years as it gives me the best options for travel. Love the ability to rent cars with points as it really cuts down on the out of pocket $ I was spending for vacations. This one offers similar benefits for only a bit more in annual fees.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was declined. Too many cards opened within 2 years. I could upgrade the regular chase sapphire card that I have but no sign up bonus.

Yes, they're sticking hard to their "max of 5 cards opened in the last 24 months" policy. My new one should be coming today (not sure if it will be the metal one like my CSP or the temporary plastic one). I'm going to downgrade my regular Sapphire preferred to a Freedom card.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score

Korean Air SKYPASS
United MileagePlus®
Hyatt Gold Passport®
IHG® Rewards Club
Marriott Rewards®

In many cases you will find that purchasing the tickets via Chase at the value of 1.5 cents per point is a better deal. In addition, you get to EARN mileage on the purchased ticket! Tickets can be purchased on ANY airline through Chase.

For me, flying LAX --> Maui is same cost using miles/points or purchase through Chase. But by purchasing, the tickets are always available for the flights we want AND we EARN mileage for flying on paid ticket!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
In many cases you will find that purchasing the tickets via Chase at the value of 1.5 cents per point is a better deal. In addition, you get to EARN mileage on the purchased ticket! Tickets can be purchased on ANY airline through Chase.

For me, flying LAX --> Maui is same cost using miles/points or purchase through Chase. But by purchasing, the tickets are always available for the flights we want AND we EARN mileage for flying on paid ticket!

How does this compare with using Avios? I'm able to get LAX-HI flights for 12,500 Avios each way, which I collect using the BA Chase cc. Can you get a round trip flight to Hawaii using Chase points and the new card for less than $25,000 in spend?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
interesting thread...
As our annual fee is due, I called the AMEX SPG Customer Rep number (from FlyerTalk forum), 1-800-452-3945, and while they claimed they will not waive $95 fee - they did give me a $100 credit for keeping the account. (Told them the reason to leave was due to split from Costco)
So... I kept the card - though the Chase Sapphire looks good with the travel bonus.

YMMV - I have a long standing with AMEX SPG, and have primarily used this in the past (pre-Costco split), so they can see my spend rate ($30-40K per year). I also signed up for the Costco VISA since we get our gas there as well as shopping.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How does this compare with using Avios? I'm able to get LAX-HI flights for 12,500 Avios each way, which I collect using the BA Chase cc. Can you get a round trip flight to Hawaii using Chase points and the new card for less than $25,000 in spend?

Not to go too far off topic, but is that with the "new" Avios chart? I was considering trying for Hawaii for August 2018. It's about 80,000 on UA from ORD to HNL roundtrip, 320K for four of us. I could go round trip on Southwest to LAX for about 25K, and then round trip LAX to HNL on BA/AA for 25K that would make the trip doable at 200K (heck, I'm halfway there with the new card).

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
interesting thread...
As our annual fee is due, I called the AMEX SPG Customer Rep number (from FlyerTalk forum), 1-800-452-3945, and while they claimed they will not waive $95 fee - they did give me a $100 credit for keeping the account. (Told them the reason to leave was due to split from Costco)
So... I kept the card - though the Chase Sapphire looks good with the travel bonus.

YMMV - I have a long standing with AMEX SPG, and have primarily used this in the past (pre-Costco split), so they can see my spend rate ($30-40K per year). I also signed up for the Costco VISA since we get our gas there as well as shopping.

I had the same experience. Customer since 04, called to cancel, they said why don't you stay and we'll give you $100 statement credit. Right after the first person who picked up the phone had said Amex never waives the anual fees. They recognized the amounts I put on the card. I will not say the amounts since I think it is actually obscene to mention how much goes through my SPG and Hilton Cards. Many times the amount mentioned above...

Chase loves my spending even more and has waived 2 2016 CC fees already...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Not to go too far off topic, but is that with the "new" Avios chart? I was considering trying for Hawaii for August 2018. It's about 80,000 on UA from ORD to HNL roundtrip, 320K for four of us. I could go round trip on Southwest to LAX for about 25K, and then round trip LAX to HNL on BA/AA for 25K that would make the trip doable at 200K (heck, I'm halfway there with the new card).

The "new" chart didn't affect many, if any, AA routes. It's still just 12,500 Avios from LAX-HI on AA using BA Avios.

FWIW, I'd pay for a domestic flight to LA and then use Avios since it's likely to be more valuable to use points for the more expensive routes.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The "new" chart didn't affect many, if any, AA routes. It's still just 12,500 Avios from LAX-HI on AA using BA Avios.

FWIW, I'd pay for a domestic flight to LA and then use Avios since it's likely to be more valuable to use points for the more expensive routes.

Good to know. I flew ORD-DCA a couple of times for 9000 avios round trip, and that's now 15000.