• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you get a better bang using airline miles rewards for Business and First Class reward tickets, provided you can get discounted mileage rewards.

I agree, for premium tixs miles are better. Hopefully you can get the saver awards.

As an example, I just got 4 F tixs IAD-LHR-CDG in BA for 170,000 roundtrip. But BA does get you with high fuel surcharges...:mad:

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Weird airline pricing schemes. I have seen that a couple of times.

I have also seen that adding two more segments (before and after your desired flights) actually lower the price.:hysterical:

Interesting. Can you give an example of what you mean? Thanks

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you get a better bang using airline miles rewards for Business and First Class reward tickets, provided you can get discounted mileage rewards.

You do better on Chase portal for economy priced tickets.

Check both, and compare.

Thank you. That confirms what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something on the travel portal.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, for premium tixs miles are better. Hopefully you can get the saver awards.

As an example, I just got 4 F tixs IAD-LHR-CDG in BA for 170,000 roundtrip. But BA does get you with high fuel surcharges...:mad:

170,000 for all 4 or each one?

I booked B seats DTW-IAD-FRA-VCE for 70,000 one way. (Could have booked DTW-FRA-VCE but want to fly in a 747). Another 70,000 for the return VCE-FRA-DTW. That was the MileSaver rate.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Thank you. That confirms what I thought. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something on the travel portal.

The UR portal only works for airfare you would otherwise pay for with cash, which you can purchase with points instead, points you already have saved in your account. I cannot imagine having enough points for $20K in First Class airfare. That would be a crazy amount of points. I think some people can do it, but transferring points to a partner, like United or British Airways, would almost certainly be preferable. First Class to Maui for us is different. $808 RT at times from Oakland, which equates to a huge savings for us with our Chase UR points.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
The UR portal only works for airfare you would otherwise pay for with cash, which you can purchase with points instead, points you already have saved in your account. I cannot imagine having enough points for $20K in First Class airfare. That would be a crazy amount of points. I think some people can do it, but transferring points to a partner, like United or British Airways, would almost certainly be preferable. First Class to Maui for us is different. $808 RT at times from Oakland, which equates to a huge savings for us with our Chase UR points.

Even at the round trip rate of $5,000 the trip to Italy would take 1,000,000 UR points for 2 tickets.

$800 for a RT in F. Wow! It would be a far reach for me to think that fares like that would happen from DTW-VCE on the days I needed ;)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Can you give an example of what you mean? Thanks

As an example, you may pay less if you go on United First EWR-IAD-HNL-IAD-EWR than IAD-HNL-IAD. Both IAD and EWR have 767400 with international configurations going to HNL once a day. I have seen this with many other routes and airlines.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
170,000 for all 4 or each one?

I booked B seats DTW-IAD-FRA-VCE for 70,000 one way. (Could have booked DTW-FRA-VCE but want to fly in a 747). Another 70,000 for the return VCE-FRA-DTW. That was the MileSaver rate.

Per Person RT. 4 tickets at the same price using AA miles in BA 747400. I wanted to try the second deck, but I found the F tixs for all of us and decided to stay downstairs. Also, I don't like the rear facing Biz window seats upstairs.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even at the round trip rate of $5,000 the trip to Italy would take 1,000,000 UR points for 2 tickets.

$800 for a RT in F. Wow! It would be a far reach for me to think that fares like that would happen from DTW-VCE on the days I needed ;)

800 RT in F from OAK to Hawaii sounds nice. I wish I could say the same, it's about $15K for the 4 of us from EWR but in 767400 with flat seats and AVOD.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
800 RT in F from OAK to Hawaii sounds nice. I wish I could say the same, it's about $15K for the 4 of us from EWR but in 767400 with flat seats and AVOD.

Or 740K miles plus about $80...

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Here is the math for UR points:

$808 ticket (including all fees and taxes) cost us 64,640 points. This was at 1.25X UR. We now have 1.5X UR, so we would do better with the new Chase Sapphire Reserve portal. 64,640 was about 48,480 spend, but now that spend would get me 72,720 for the same spend at 1.5X.

But a lot of my maintenance fees will result in points at 3X (at least $70K annually).

Manufactured spend is about $6/1,000 points. That makes the ticket about half price for us: 64,640 X $6/ 1,000= $387.84. It pays to MS. We only do about $100K per year at 5X.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

$808 ticket (including all fees and taxes) cost us 64,640 points. This was at 1.25X UR. We now have 1.5X UR, so we would do better with the new Chase Sapphire Reserve portal. 64,640 was about 48,480 spend, but now that spend would get me 72,720 for the same spend at 1.5X.

But a lot of my maintenance fees will result in points at 3X (at least $70K annually).

Manufactured spend is about $6/1,000 points. That makes the ticket about half price for us: 64,640 X $6/ 1,000= $387.84. It pays to MS. We only do about $100K per year at 5X.

Did I misread your post? Did you say your MF are $70K?:eek:

Enjoy MF while it's around...

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did I misread your post? Did you say your MF are $70K?:eek:

Enjoy MF while it's around...
Yep, they are that high. We own a lot of Wyndham points and Sheraton weeks, too.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)

How do you get 3X out of maintenance fees? I only get 2X (supposedly gold)... Are you Platinum? Just curious.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, they are that high. We own a lot of Wyndham points and Sheraton weeks, too.

Those are some high MFs.

BTW, my second MF reference was supposed to be Manufactured Spending.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How do you get 3X out of maintenance fees? I only get 2X (supposedly gold)... Are you Platinum? Just curious.
Chase Sapphire Reserve gets 3X on MF's.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Cindy, do you have to transfer your old points to the new portal to get the 1.5X instead of the 1.25X?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Cindy, do you have to transfer your old points to the new portal to get the 1.5X instead of the 1.25X?

Im not Cindy, but I can answer. You can transfer the UR points between any of your UR accounts. So I earn on Ink, Freedom and Sapphire, but move them all over to Sapphire to book travel and use UR rewards.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Im not Cindy, but I can answer. You can transfer the UR points between any of your UR accounts. So I earn on Ink, Freedom and Sapphire, but move them all over to Sapphire to book travel and use UR rewards.

Thank you!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Freedom has a much more limited UR program. I don't think they can be transferred into the other UR accounts.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If 3x on UR and worth 1.5c/UR = 4.5c/UR
If 2x on SP and worth 2.25c/SP = 4.5c/SP

other than optimizing or maximizing their Spend - aren't these the same (approx.)?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
If 3x on UR and worth 1.5c/UR = 4.5c/UR
If 2x on SP and worth 2.25c/SP = 4.5c/SP

other than optimizing or maximizing their Spend - aren't these the same (approx.)?

No, The value in UR is "real" in that you can use that amount to purchase any travel. The value in SP is "opportunistic" in that that you need to find a use.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Freedom has a much more limited UR program. I don't think they can be transferred into the other UR accounts.

You can transfer UR from Freedom to sapphire preferred or reserve. I just did that last week

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
No, The value in UR is "real" in that you can use that amount to purchase any travel. The value in SP is "opportunistic" in that that you need to find a use.

So the opportunistic value is higher since we get about 4-5c/SP upon redemption and not 2.25c/SP (I used that figure for SP as the approx. consensus value)