• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

elleny76

Reaction score
Can you share how the payment of the timeshare was cat in the bill? thanks

I paid a portion of my 2017 SVV MF's on Saturday. I checked today and the $300 credit had already posted. Very impressed.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
In case you haven't seen it, Amex Plat Business is offering 100K MR points...

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the $300 travel credit per account? So if I get the card and then add my wife to the same account, we wouldn't both get credit?

Or...

My wife gets the card by applying for it. We both pay the SVV maintenance fee by half and both get credit?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Is the $300 travel credit per account? So if I get the card and then add my wife to the same account, we wouldn't both get credit?

Or...

My wife gets the card by applying for it. We both pay the SVV maintenance fee by half and both get credit?

The 2nd one - need separate accounts.

seascapemvy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the card too. Great intro bonus of 100K points for the $450 annual fee. You should make sure that the maintenance fees will go through coded as travel so it is eligible for the rebate. Not all maintenance fees go through coded as travel.

Anyone else recently sign up for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card (with the $300 annual travel credit)?

I went ahead and prepaid $300 now with card and plan to pay remaining balance when due in 2017 (possibly end of Dec to post on Jan statement).

Based on credit per calendar year the "Travel Credit" should provide me $600 off my MF *CHEERS* :banana:
I got my card and am happy with it for one year only. I was looking at the travel options and found the cost of flying on United Airlines way more expensive usinh Chases points than taking the 1,000 in cash and buying the tickets with case on my Chase United card which also givew me free 1st bag for both my wife and I. However for one year I make out getting $100 for our TSA pass and $300 towards timeshre maintenance fees.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a biggie, but are they still issuing plastic cards due to running out of metal? Or do you get the nice box with the metal card now?

seascapemvy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a biggie, but are they still issuing plastic cards due to running out of metal? Or do you get the nice box with the metal card now?

Mine came in a brown UPS envelope and it was metal

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
i'm considering this too, as it is a good time of year to easily hit minimum spend with MFs due. Plus I did go back and check with my Chase Sapphire Preferred to see which timeshares in the past have been correctly classified as Travel. All but 1 of my MFs was correctly classified. So those MFs should also earn 3X points.

So basically between the 3X points earning and the 1.5X bonus for spending on travel, this yields a 4.5% rebate IF YOU USE IT TO BOOK TRAVEL, which I do. I usually use it to buy airfare. I like to do that if I need more Airlines miles, because buying the airline ticket with Ultimate Reward Points actually earns you Airline miles. If you are using reward tickets, you earn nothing. So it helps me collect more air miles for business class tickets for long flights.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

Mine is metal, too. But honestly, although the weight of the metal card is nice, I'd probably just prefer plastic. The metal ones scratch easily when they're run through a card reader, and collect lots of greasy fingerprints when handled by a waiter or waitress. My card is only about a month old and it hasn't worn particularly well as compared to a high-quality plastic card. Plus, disposing of it will be a PITA.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Mine is metal, too. But honestly, although the weight of the metal card is nice, I'd probably just prefer plastic. The metal ones scratch easily when they're run through a card reader, and collect lots of greasy fingerprints when handled by a waiter or waitress. My card is only about a month old and it hasn't worn particularly well as compared to a high-quality plastic card. Plus, disposing of it will be a PITA.

I got the plastic one and haven't received the metal one. But who cares? :D

As long as I get my points, I'm happy. :banana:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

MPERL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cashing in points

Can you use the bonus points to purchase a ticket on any airlines or only a few. I fly mostly American Airlines.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm past considering, I've applied, played around with Chase cards that had $0 balance on the card but lots of limit.

So I moved limits and closed some cards and ended up with $45K limit on my new Reserve card.

I have credit score in the 800s, so I'm not really worried about any hits with closing cards. Kept limits open, so credit to limit ratio will not change.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you use the bonus points to purchase a ticket on any airlines or only a few. I fly mostly American Airlines.

I think it is ANY airline through the travel portal, as it is just a booking engine. Airline is NOT a factor. That is one of the nice things about these rewards, very flexible.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The portal has been great. The car rentals are actually lower in dollar amount, but I can always choose to spend UR over dollars, it's up to me. If you have some Ultimate Rewards, but not enough to pay for a ticket in full, you can use the points you have + cash. So if you decide to close the card, you can always book something with the remaining points.

The dollar cost of airline tickets is the same in the portal as with Kayak. I have been very pleased with the portal, much happier than my SPG booking portal.

I guess I am a huge Chase's portal because we have so many points in UR and Southwest with our Manufactured Spend. With Ink Bold and Ink Plus, the two of us have built well over 1.5 million points in less than 3 years.

Chase has Southwest as a customer, and we have transferred hundreds of thousands of UR points to SW. 5,000 points equates to about $100 with SW. So these 100,000 bonus points are worth a lot of flights with SW.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
In many cases you will find that purchasing the tickets via Chase at the value of 1.5 cents per point is a better deal. In addition, you get to EARN mileage on the purchased ticket! Tickets can be purchased on ANY airline through Chase.

For me, flying LAX --> Maui is same cost using miles/points or purchase through Chase. But by purchasing, the tickets are always available for the flights we want AND we EARN mileage for flying on paid ticket!

Booking through Chase travel is something I've never done. I book with miles.

Would this work in my situation: Using miles for trip to Italy in Business class. Flying on LH through UA. Cost is 70K per person each way so 280K miles. The $ amount for the trip is $6900 for each person on the outbound and $5000 on the return.

I'd appreciate any insight about doing such a trip through Chase travel.

rovitm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The portal has been great. The car rentals are actually lower in dollar amount, but I can always choose to spend UR over dollars, it's up to me. If you have some Ultimate Rewards, but not enough to pay for a ticket in full, you can use the points you have + cash. So if you decide to close the card, you can always book something with the remaining points.

The dollar cost of airline tickets is the same in the portal as with Kayak. I have been very pleased with the portal, much happier than my SPG booking portal.

I guess I am a huge Chase's portal because we have so many points in UR and Southwest with our Manufactured Spend. With Ink Bold and Ink Plus, the two of us have built well over 1.5 million points in less than 3 years.

Chase has Southwest as a customer, and we have transferred hundreds of thousands of UR points to SW. 5,000 points equates to about $100 with SW. So these 100,000 bonus points are worth a lot of flights with SW.

Wow. What is the secret to accumulating so many points?

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Wow. What is the secret to accumulating so many points?

We get 5X points at office supply stores with Chase Ink Bold and Chase Ink Plus. We love those two cards. We buy Visa Gift Cards at Staples and liquidate them to money orders, then deposit those into our business checking accounts.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Booking through Chase travel is something I've never done. I book with miles.

Would this work in my situation: Using miles for trip to Italy in Business class. Flying on LH through UA. Cost is 70K per person each way so 280K miles. The $ amount for the trip is $6900 for each person on the outbound and $5000 on the return.

I'd appreciate any insight about doing such a trip through Chase travel.

Answered my own question: I went to chase.com and tried the travel portal for the first time.

This is the same flight I booked with 140,000 miles. When paying through the portal or with $$ it is much different checking round trip vs. booking one way. The round trip comes up less than at one way. Why is that?

Price
4 SEATS LEFT AT
$5,565.36
or
445,228 pts
Round-Trip Per Person
Airline Information
United Airlines
UA6006*
UA8826**
UA9086***
* Flight UA6006 Operated by UA MESA AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS
** Flight UA8826 Operated by UA DLH LUFTHANSA
*** Flight UA9086 Operated by UA DLH LUFTHANSA
Departure
Detroit
2:50 PM
DTW
Thursday, Nov 24
Duration
15hr 30min
2 Stops
Arrives next day

Arrival
Venice
12:20 PM
VCE
Friday, Nov 25

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you get a better bang using airline miles rewards for Business and First Class reward tickets, provided you can get discounted mileage rewards.

You do better on Chase portal for economy priced tickets.

Check both, and compare.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the same flight I booked with 140,000 miles. When paying through the portal or with $$ it is much different checking round trip vs. booking one way. The round trip comes up less than at one way. Why is that?

Weird airline pricing schemes. I have seen that a couple of times.

I have also seen that adding two more segments (before and after your desired flights) actually lower the price.:hysterical: