• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paniolo Greens vs. Kona Coast Resort

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I managed to get an exchange into Paniolo Greens over New Years, and I'm wondering how it compares to the Kona Coast Resort? If anybody has stayed at both, I'd be interested in hearing your pros/cons list.

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haven't stayed at Kona Coast, but we found Paniolo Greens a little too remote for us.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It was years ago but we actually loved the location of Paniolo Greens. We didn't like Kona at all.

You have Hapuna Beach just 15 minutes away- one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. You don't have that in Kona, as the coastline is rocky. Plus, Kona is very touristy.

We were able to travel to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and back in a day. We did the sunset tour up Mauna Kea. Went to the ranches in the desert there and also the east coast, which is lush and tropical. We had a nice view of the Cones from our balcony.

You have been there so you know... But from what we saw in Kona I were glad we didn't stay there. We like a bit of quiet.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I've stayed at Kona Coast 2 twice and have toured the Paniolo Greens. I had a close friend stay at Paniolo and he thought that it was a bit isolated. But he chose it because he could get a 2 BR unit there.

As happymum mentioned, it is a bit remote and there isn't much around Paniolo for entertainment or restaurants except if you are a golfer. We ate at a golf-course restaurant - - pretty basic and at a Mexican restaurant in the nearby strip mall (of sorts). For better dining you'd want to go to Waikoloa or drive down to Kona.

We like the Kona Coast 2. It is about 7 miles south of Kona Kailea which has a gaggle of restaurants. It is also within walking distance of a substantial grocery store plus some restaurants up the hill.

Kona Coast 1 was the original phase and is a bit further from the on-site restaurant and further from the ocean. It was built as a condo community so they have garages. A/C is optional and there is a nominal charge. SWMBO said that it was well worth it.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have stayed in the Kona area (Worldmark Kona) and we have stayed most recently at Paniolo Greens in January. We liked both areas for different things. Paniolo is a bit more isolated. Though Patti let me know that the grocery store near Paniolo Greens was a better deal than the Safeway in Kona; and, a ton better than the grocery store in the Queens Market Place. Kona is good for tourist stuff and water adventures. Paniolo Greens is good for trip to Mauna Kea, Hilo, the north coast, and Hapuna Beach. We did Volcano National Park during our stay near South Point. By the way many people do not know about the cottages at the Kilauea Military Camp. They are located inside Volcano National Park. So if any one in your group is active duty, active Reserve, or retired you should look at staying at KMC for a night or 2. There us also a grocery store and cafeteria at KMC open to all.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have stayed at both, Kona Coast once and Paniolo Greens at least twice. I probably wouldn't choose Paniolo Greens again, but it's really not that remote. It's a good location to explore the north end of the island. You're close to the Waikoloa resort area, Hapuna Beach, Waimea, Havi. We liked the units, all of them are two bedroom. It's right on a golf course and close to Waimea Village which has a grocery store and a very nice Italian restaurant (Pueo's) plus an Island Lava Java Coffee.

Kona Coast is NOT in Kona. So it can be considered remote as well. It is more of a resort feel than Paniolo Greens.

The Big Island is BIG. So no matter where you stay you're going to do a fair amount of driving.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We have stayed in the Kona area (Worldmark Kona) and we have stayed most recently at Paniolo Greens in January. We liked both areas for different things. Paniolo is a bit more isolated. Though Patti let me know that the grocery store near Paniolo Greens was a better deal than the Safeway in Kona; and, a ton better than the grocery store in the Queens Market Place. Kona is good for tourist stuff and water adventures. Paniolo Greens is good for trip to Mauna Kea, Hilo, the north coast, and Hapuna Beach. We did Volcano National Park during our stay near South Point. By the way many people do not know about the cottages at the Kilauea Military Camp. They are located inside Volcano National Park. So if any one in your group is active duty, active Reserve, or retired you should look at staying at KMC for a night or 2. There us also a grocery store and cafeteria at KMC open to all.

To add to your comment about the Kilauea Military camp, they have a self-service gas pump there. The prices are reasonable whereas if you need to gas up at Volcano (or whatever the town is called just outside of the park) their prices are outrageously high.

If you want to see lava, go to the park at night and check out the glow from the Restaurant and - - even better - - from the observation area about a mile north.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll swap over to the Kona Coast if it comes up, but given the high-demand week we'll be there I doubt I'll have the choice anyways! Will report back on Paniolo Greens when I return.