• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Phoenix car rental - off airport

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I know we've discussed the higher prices charged to pick up a rental car at the Phoenix Airport. I don't recall whether we ever said which non-airport location in the Phoenix area has the best pricing. Does anyone know?

I'm exploring the idea of a Utah and Arizona one-way road trip for late Spring 2017, and looking at where and how to work the rental car I'll need to have. I have friends who live in Phoenix, so transportation from the airport to a car rental lot away from the airport (or the other way around) will be easy.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, it's been some time but we have used a Budget place in Tempe. It's primarily a truck rental, but they can get whatever you want, and are just open business hours. Fwiw, you can return to the airport facility. Call them if interested. It saved us substantially iirc.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

zinger1457

Reaction score
If renting one way I would check with some of the airport locations first, sometimes they offer very good discounted one way rentals, I guess too many extra cars on the lot. Had family that did that last time they visited and the one way rental cost was cheaper than their local return rate.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for the tips. The main places we want to visit are in southeastern Utah and northeastern Arizona, mostly national parks and monuments. (Arches, Canyonlands, Monument Valley, Canyon De Chelle, maybe Antelope Canyon. That sort of thing.) I'm looking at flying into Salt Lake City and out of Phoenix, or the other way around. Checking rental cars, I'm finding the best pricing is pick-up and return to SLC. That would require changing the itinerary of the trip, and maybe cutting out the PHX end of things. Doing it one-way, with either SLC or PHX as the pick-up or drop-off point more than than doubles the car rental cost. Airfare is basically the same whether doing a multi-city trip from Seattle, or a roundtrip in/out of SLC.

Decisions, decisions... ;)

Dave

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dang DaveNW, that is a seriously ambitious trip y'all are putting together but you picked some of the most stunningly photographic areas in the Four Corners. Have you looked into flying into SLC and then doing a puddle jumper to Durango or Farmington for car rental?

What are the most desired areas for you to visit? How much time do you want to spend in each area? You could spend a week in just Canyonlands and Arches and never want to leave.

Getting to the SE corner of Utah is not that easy. Used to live in Monticello and playing in Canyonlands and Arches was a way of life. Late spring will be lovely. Even the NEAZ stuff will still be comfortable weather for you.

If it's more economical flying through a major hub, then hitting Phx first and going north is how I would do it. No matter which direction you are still doing a LOT of driving. But it's easier getting to NE AZ from Phoenix than it is to SE UT from SLC. Have made the SLC to Moab trip more times than I want to admit and, while admittedly biased, it's not my favorite area of Utah to visit. The LaSal Mtn area is "meh" compared to the stunning beauty of the Uintah Primative farther north.

Not sure how you are thinking of looping in Antelope Canyon (so worth the visit though). Easiest access is through Page. Traversing the Dine' Reservation area has gotten a lot more friendly in the last 15 years but the road infrastuctures are still a challenge. Tuba City and Chinle have grown up a lot but getting to Page from Chinle you will for sure have to backtrack, not loop.

Did't stick to your original question of car rental out of Phoenix. Nertz. :rolleyes:. Got distracted with the trip itself. Have been and played in all the locations you mentioned. Before you decide on rentals check the tax rates for car rentals out of both airports (SLC / PHX). Both are high. My DD always rents in SLC from non-airport locations in downtown SL when she goes north. Renting off-site in Phx is always cheaper, but Tempe seems a little far. There rental sites closer in downtown Phx. Might be easier to rent from a location where your friends live if they are picking you up though.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dang DaveNW, that is a seriously ambitious trip y'all are putting together but you picked some of the most stunningly photographic areas in the Four Corners. Have you looked into flying into SLC and then doing a puddle jumper to Durango or Farmington for car rental?

What are the most desired areas for you to visit? How much time do you want to spend in each area? You could spend a week in just Canyonlands and Arches and never want to leave.

Getting to the SE corner of Utah is not that easy. Used to live in Monticello and playing in Canyonlands and Arches was a way of life. Late spring will be lovely. Even the NEAZ stuff will still be comfortable weather for you.

If it's more economical flying through a major hub, then hitting Phx first and going north is how I would do it. No matter which direction you are still doing a LOT of driving. But it's easier getting to NE AZ from Phoenix than it is to SE UT from SLC. Have made the SLC to Moab trip more times than I want to admit and, while admittedly biased, it's not my favorite area of Utah to visit. The LaSal Mtn area is "meh" compared to the stunning beauty of the Uintah Primative farther north.

Not sure how you are thinking of looping in Antelope Canyon (so worth the visit though). Easiest access is through Page. Traversing the Dine' Reservation area has gotten a lot more friendly in the last 15 years but the road infrastuctures are still a challenge. Tuba City and Chinle have grown up a lot but getting to Page from Chinle you will for sure have to backtrack, not loop.

Did't stick to your original question of car rental out of Phoenix. Nertz. :rolleyes:. Got distracted with the trip itself. Have been and played in all the locations you mentioned. Before you decide on rentals check the tax rates for car rentals out of both airports (SLC / PHX). Both are high. My DD always rents in SLC from non-airport locations in downtown SL when she goes north. Renting off-site in Phx is always cheaper, but Tempe seems a little far. There rental sites closer in downtown Phx. Might be easier to rent from a location where your friends live if they are picking you up though.

Thanks for the ideas. I've been to the SE Utah region a number of times, the last time by motorhome about 20 years ago. I know about the driving distances, but scenery out the window is part of the appeal. I'm married to a photography nut, so taking pictures along the way is how we do things. (I drive, spouse takes the pictures. Other than the gasps of "Stop! Stop the car!!" when something especially photogenic rolls by, it's generally fairly peaceful. ;) )

We're committed to flying in/out of SLC or PHX. The idea of adding a puddle jump flight adds substantially to the flight cost. The itinerary isn't firm, hence the "that sort of thing" comment. The problem, as you point out, is that getting there isn't easy. But it is SO worth it, the effort needs to be made. I didn't mention it, but I'm looking at spending about two weeks doing this. So it's not too much driving at one time. I'm just interested in saving what I can on the rental car.

Dave

Aspens.jpg

P. S. We did a trip seven years ago where we flew into Las Vegas, drove to St. George, Utah for a few days, saw Zion NP, then up to Kolob Canyon, then Bryce Canyon NP, then Kodachrome Basin, along the Hogsback over Scenic Highway 12 to the Escalante, then to Torrey, Utah, to see Capitol Reef NP, back over Hwy 12 and down through Kanab, Utah, to the North Rim of Grand Canyon NP, then back through Zion to St. George, and back to Las Vegas to fly home. We did all this in a week, and put about 1500 miles on the rental car. This was all done in early Fall, when the Aspens were changing, and the sky was filled with brilliant yellow-golden leaves. An incredible trip, by any measure, and the pictures are incredible! Here's one. :)

LilyPond

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you tried checking out Priceline? You don't have to sign up to check pricing. I just did a random search of PHX to SLC one way, beginning Noon April 1 ending Noon April 15. Total cost was $995. I compared that with the round trip @ PHX and the cheapest was $646. Not sure how that compares with how you are searching but at least the one-way isn't double the round trip.
I think the one-way trip is a nice idea. I live in the Phoenix area and we started getting warm temps early last year seeing 80+ way too soon!
Have a wonderful trip! :cool: