• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pickled garlic

cmdmfr

TUG Member
Reaction score
has any one out there made pickled garlic. I am looking for a simple recipe for making pickled garlic.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Traditionally, pickled garlic would be canned, and canning requires some caution, because of the possiblity of serious food poisoning, if not done properly. If you are not familiar with canning techniques, it would be better to make small batches that you would refirgerate and use up in a few days. Try www.allrecipes.com for recipes.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My brother in law ferments garlic in pint jars. Kind of like making kimchi without the cabbage I guess. You pretty much stuff the jars with garlic and cover it with brine sauce and leave it in the dark. You have to burp the jars occasionally. Its not some thing I enjoyed in the past but now that you brought it up I might make some hot spicy garlic and hot spicy kimchi and try it out. I don't have the recipe but Im sure there are all kinds of them on google.

Im sure Denise's pickled garlic recipes would be great. Especially if you like vinegar. You don't pressure can garlic unless you like it soft and mushy like for paste. Most people use a water bath to pickle garlic the same way you do asparagus, string beans or cucumbers. I make 14 jars of pickled asparagus every year.

Bill

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
All true, but room temp canning can cause botulism which can kill you. Personally, I wouldn't do it. If you don't want to do true boiling water bath canning, then make small batches and refrigerate it.

Garlic in brine doesn't sound appealing to me, unless you are using it for cooking. I would think it would need the vinegar, etc.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All true, but room temp canning can cause botulism which can kill you. Personally, I wouldn't do it. If you don't want to do true boiling water bath canning, then make small batches and refrigerate it.

Garlic in brine doesn't sound appealing to me, unless you are using it for cooking. I would think it would need the vinegar, etc.

Vinegar is good for a hot water bath. I use apple vinegar for asparagus and string beans. They come out really crisp. This would work with garlic. Pint jars are good for garlic.

Its a brine sauce for fermenting. The same that is used in kimchi . The brine sauce can be hot spicy depending on what is added to the sauce. Usually pepper flakes, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, salt , sugar and the secret ingredient that could be anything like fire oil, sesame oil or who knows ? Not me. I wonder if you use the garlic in the sauce if you are fermenting garlic. idk. Seems redundant to flavor garlic with garlic.

I think sour kraught is just cabbage and salt water fermented in a jar which sounds terrible to me. I haven't made any but I have had it in the past on hot dogs. It was pretty good.

If the garlic is pressure canned it would need 90 minutes at about 12 pounds is my guess. Most veggies canned this way are kind of soft. The only veggies I like presure canned are beans and tomatoes for the most part. The exception is salsa which I pressure can and water bath can. Its good both ways.

Bill

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I never heard of pickled garlic. Love garlic, now curious how it tastes.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why spoil the taste of a perfectly good garlic? ;)

I haven't eaten raw garlic but do roast and fry cloves or press cloves for sauce , marinade and soups. Fermented garlic is actually pickled garlic. The reason many like fermented garlic is that it leaves your body odorless including your breath.

Bill