• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

please Help me decide on timeshare

Niteflite

Reaction score
1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
I'm in the dc area. something within driving distance (up to 7 hours) such as the beaches between Maryland and south Carolina would be ideal.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Trade

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Florida, California, Caribbean, Pacific nw.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?
4 total including two small kids

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
In a few years, school

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
There's a decent chance I can

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
prefer 4 too 5 nights at a time

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

3.5 and up

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
Would like to stay under 3k but I'm all about value.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? can be

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Where do you want your home resort to be?
I'm in the dc area. something within driving distance (up to 7 hours) such as the beaches between Maryland and south Carolina would be ideal.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Trade

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Florida, California, Caribbean, Pacific nw.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
In a few years, school

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
prefer 4 too 5 nights at a time

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes

Based on these questions and answers, I would recommend renting from existing owners, especially since you said you want to trade more often than use whatever home resort you have. Rentals in FL, CA, Caribbean, and the Pacific NW can be reasonably priced, sometimes cheaper than what the owner pays in MFs. Also, factor in the cost of exchanging (plus membership fees if you use RCI or II) and I think that renting (at least to start out with) would be a cheaper option.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I would agree with Lanny: While you wait and decide what is perfect for you (Don't Rush!), it would be very good to try out the timeshare idea by renting at a few locations first. This will give you several advantages:

• By renting at different 'brands' of timeshares (TS), you'll get some sense of the flavor and quality of that TS system. Of course, resorts can vary from one resort to the next, even in the same brand. So, be sure and get some feedback (you can get plenty here on TUG) about the quality of the specific resort you're renting and whether it's truly representative of the TS system that you're interested in. For instance, Marriott, Hilton, Westin tend to be fairly consistent, but some systems can vary quite a bit.
  • As mentioned, you're not really loosing any money by renting a few times: some resorts can be rented near the cost of maintenance fees (MF's). Of course, this is not a hard-and-fast rule. Peak beach weeks during holidays and summer can be quite pricey. Of course, they can be quite pricey to purchase as well.
  • Timeshare vacations are a different experience from hotels. You have more room, usually a washer and dryer and the freedom to prepare and/or store some or all of your meals (and drinks) in your full sized fridge (depending on unit size etc...). This is huge when compared with buying 'pool drinks' for adults and kids or eating out every night. Kids especially benefit from having mom or dad made snacks and drinks instead of the usual sugar and grease found in vending machines and drive-thru's. Not that there is anything wrong with that :rolleyes:. Kids can take naps in a bedroom while others have private spaces, you can sit on the couch and watch TV or movies.... It's wonderful.. Of course, some folks like to eat out every night, like having daily maid service and never stay in the same hotel twice. The decision is yours....
  • Picking a timeshare system is not a straight-forward choice. There are issues of cost, ability to trade/book during peak seasons, locations, maintenance fees, cost to purchase and availability etc.... Renting a season or two will really help you understand what you like and want. Think of it as 'test driving a new car' for a week.
Finally, I've give my thoughts on your survey above:

Your choice for home resort and trade locations favor a number of systems. Marriott and Wyndham come to mind.... The pacific northwest is pretty much exclusive to some smaller systems; WorldMark and Wyndham dominate the area. Both Interval international (exchange company associated with Marriott, Worldmark and many others) and RCI (exchange company associated with Hilton, Wyndham, Worldmark and many others) both have excellent access to resorts in this area.

Your desire to trade frequently supports buying (renting) from a large system with resorts in the areas you wish to frequent or excellent access to exchange companies such as RCI/II with access to those areas. Keep in mind: using an exchange company raises the total cost of your vacation week with annual fees and exchange/upgrade costs. I use and favor the exchanges, but others with a tighter budget may mind it's cheaper and easier to remain within your own resort system and simply exchange/reserve internally to avoid these fees. Again, not everybody can book peak weeks at the beach during prime summer holidays. It's a game and a lottery.

You expressed a desire to stay for 'less than a week.' This would seem to steer you into a 'point' system vs a traditional 'weeks' system. Two comments: when you purchase a traditional timeshare week resale, you have 7 days. You can stay for 1 day, 2 days....or seven days. You can check-in late (some issues could arise) and you can certainly leave early. Your check-in/out dates will almost always be Thur-Sun; some are more restrictive (Fri or Sat only) and some more lenient. With points systems, you can book exactly what you need, in theory. In reality, there are restrictions on booking less than 7 days during peak weeks. There are also restrictions about booking out of your home resort or for only Fri-Sat reservations. Beginning to understand why you need to study, rent and think before buying?

Your purchase price and annual maintenance fees survey suggests a reasonable amount of money for a 3.5* resort. You could find a cheap Marriott and just barely come in under your purchase/MF prices, but the MF's would probably climb above $1500 in the next 0-10 years depending on the unit location and size. You could easily purchase Wyndham points and remain inside those amounts for a descent number of points.... Wyndham is a more complicated system to understand when buying resale (IMHO) but it is flexible and has access to many locations you've mentioned as well as RCI for exchanges. Wyndham points are relatively stable currency (for now) but there are many ins/outs to purchasing a Wyndham contract, so be sure to get lots of advice before you leap at a veritable 'bargain' only to find that you've over/under purchased or gotten a high MF property etc.. Another thought: after renting, purchase a property that is priced right and meets your home resort/southeastern USA, California and Mexico/Caribbean needs. Then, later, consider just renting your needs in the Pacific NW or purchase a small Worldmark contract that lets you book easily in the NW and can also grab some great properties via RCI or II exchange.

Finally, I suggest that you start by renting at least a 1 bedroom unit with full kitchen. This will give you a sample of the 'timeshare lifestyle.' Then, maybe splurge on a 2br TS rental in a location with cheaper or more abundant rentals. This will show you the joys of having privacy for adults, kids, sleepers and even the chance to invite G'ma/pa or friends along. Renting a 'studio' timeshare or a unit with only a partial kitchen (small fridge and microwave) is not that different from renting a suite-style hotel room and won't really show you the main advantages, again IMHO.

Hope this helps ask any questions you might have.

I love my Marriotts, I love my Worldmarks and I love timesharing.

cheers.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
WHY do you want to buy a timeshare? What is appealing to you about them?

Niteflite

Reaction score
WHY do you want to buy a timeshare? What is appealing to you about them?
well, I plan on traveling more. especially as the kids grow older - probably we'll be vacationing around ten total nights a year or more. I prefer to stay in more family friendly places equipped with kitchen and laundry. and like the idea of pre paying or knowing how much it's costing me rather than having to deal with supply and demand paying the going rate at the time. I like getting a good value. e.g. I just stayed at one of the Sheraton properties in Orlando...was invited at a promotional rate of 250 total for 4 nights. but it appears the cash rate was 200/night.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just stayed at one of the Sheraton properties in Orlando...was invited at a promotional rate of 250 total for 4 nights. but it appears the cash rate was 200/night.

Did that "promotional rate" require you to attend a timeshare presentation?

Regardless, the "cash rate" of $200/night is probably what the resort charges. An owner might charge less. And in Central FL, a lot of owners (out of necessity and desperation) rent out their intervals for less than the MFs. Have you checked out what the MFs are for that resort?

Lesismore2017

Reaction score
( . )_(. )

Just watching.. You and i have similar timeshare needs and desires.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I can't speak for points as I own weeks and use my timeshares yearly at our home resorts. We used to exchange our floater weeks but that was back in the days when exchanging was cheaper.

But- owning a timeshare is cheaper than renting for the most part- especially if you own prime weeks. I rent form other owners also to go other places for additional vacations and usually pay at least an additional $300-$500 more for a weeks rental than I do for our timeshare usage maintenance fee. But it is when you exchange that drives the cost of ownership up. Ex: RCI has a yearly membership cost (not sure what it is- maybe $80?) and an over $200 exchange fee. So now renting doesn't seem so expensive anymore.

It is when you rent directly from a timeshare resort that the costs are way high. We are renting directly from a timeshare resort this June because we made a change of plans and booked about 3 months out- which in the timeshare world is almost last minute. We are paying $2200 for 7 nights and that is with a discount rate.

But we couldn't bring ourselves to stay in a hotel room for an entire week. We are spoiled!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I agree with others, don't buy a timeshare until you try some places by renting from an owner. First join TUG then check out Marketplace for rentals. Good Luck and welcome to timesharing.
Silentg

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
There are a ton of very good points here.
As Mary Ann pointed out: If you're planning on traveling to popular locations (beaches, theme parks, limited availability locations) rentals will routinely be at or above MF's and may be difficult to get. During off/shoulder-season travel, these same locations may be a bargain and almost certainly rent for MF or less. That's why you should rent and test things out now--while you can travel off-season/shoulder-season--and decide what might work for you later when you're trapped in a school schedule.

Additionally, some people really love the habit and familiarity of going back to our 'vacation spot(s)' year after year and enjoying the ease and familiarity and staying in the same unit, same resort and planning your vacation months in advance without the worry of "will they have this" or "do they allow that" or is the lazy river as good etc.... I think kids especially like the familiar and even meeting some of the same people each year. And, while this is a very general statement and not meant to express anything else beyond my words.....I do prefer the company of people we meet at timeshares to the people we meet at random hotels. YMMV. Additionally, I wish we had purchased a timeshare--even direct from the developer!--long before we did (resale). Owning a timeshare does (gently) force you to plan vacations, allocate monies to pay for the resort, the tickets etc... and strongly encourages you to take your family on vacation every year. Before we purchased, we took vacations when we could, if we planned them and when my DW finally told me 'book a Vaca or I will!" Because of this, we got too busy (finance was fortunately not the problem) or too lazy to plan and take regular vacations with our kids as often as we could or should have. I would pay a significant amount of money to be able to take those vacations now....but my kids are grown and out of the house. While I'm not advocating financial-blackmail as a solution to your family's vacation needs, I am strongly urging you to take regular vacations, rented or owned, while your kids are young and everyone can make memories to last a lifetime. Not a pitch for timeshares.....just a pitch to spend time with your family, be it rent, own or staycation. Ok, off the soapbox.

As a last comment on the general concept of 'you shouldn't ever buy a timeshare, you should just rent....' I will caution that there are perils to renting vs owning. Lost reservations, cancellations, fraud and the inability to cancel some rentals from the moment you pay forward. Timeshares do offer a sense of security, flexibility (with caveats) and a great deal of pre-planning/pre-paying that you simply can't get when renting from some random stranger. To be sure, I recommend a lot of research, renting and contemplation r.e. "are TS's right for our vacation needs and goals?" before you jump-in and make a commitment that is NOT right for your family or your financial situation. Make sense?

Good luck in your hunt... keep asking questions. You've got a world of information and experts that will give you the real info without any salesmanship or padding.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Owning timeshares definitely "makes" you take your vacation. We know we have those 3 weeks and we are all set and we show up- easy peasy.

And- as Taterhed said regarding children- our son loved going to the same place year after year and even now at 29 years old is very sentimental about it. He still spends a few days with us there! I know when we try to divest ourselves of this particular timeshare- (hopefully next year. downsizing) he will be very upset about it but doesn't have the income to afford to take it over. Heck- we will be upset about it!

I also forgot to mention when we first booked a hotel room for our June trip- the cost was $1500 for 7 nights. Included a hot breakfast. Still pricey for a room, but it is a tourist hot spot- the last week of the off season period. Most private home/condo/timeshare rentals cost that or sometimes a bit lower (2 bedroom). Then we changed to the timeshare condo because we just didn't want to stay in one room all week.

(FYI- our maintenance fees run about $900 for 2 of the weeks and about $750 for the other one.)

Niteflite

Reaction score
ok, I've narrowed down my requirements some. by the way, I've stayed at Number of timeshare properties - hgv on the strip, wyndham off the strip, Oceanside ca, Virginia beach. the properties were all adequate.

so, I see a listing for 4000 points for 1 week 1 br at hgvc in myrtle beach. price including transfer and closing costs is around 2,000. mf of 750. Does thus sounds good?

some additional questions:

can these points be converted to regular hilton honors points? what's the conversion rate?

Can I choose to stay fewer nights in a larger unit instead of the full week at the smaller unit?

Is there one unit assigned to me or can i request different rooms.

Will it cost me if I want to stay at the hgvc at another location?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Check out the HGVC FAQ on TUG: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/sticky-hilton-hgvc-advice-article-links.58716/

This will certainly answer your basic questions.
You don't indicate the resort in MYR. There are 3. The resorts there are Affiliate/Partner (whatever) resorts. It seems highly likely the resorts in MYR will stay permanently attached to the HGVC. Of course, there is no absolute guarantee of this. I'm not sure whether points are automatically issued for the MYR resorts, but I think they are.
Weeks at one HGVC resort in MYR range 2200-6600 points for a 1br/1br+ depending on season. So, 4k points seems like enough for off-season travel (depending on resort etc..) but probably is NOT enough for prime summer (school vacation) weeks in a 1br/1br+. You would need to provide more details. The points charts are available on TUG.
HGVC allows points reservations, varying lengths of stay, conversion of points, borrowing, saving etc.... lots of details.
Your points are points; you can select days/size/location based on the number of points you have available (or make cash reservations). The booking window varies--see the FAQ.
You are not assigned a permanent fixed room. You will be assigned a room (at random) based on your reservation date/size/location.
There are annual club fees, maintenance fees, booking fees, guest certificate fees etc.... all listed in the FAQ above.

Keep in mind: MF's are based on unit size/location. So, Platinum or Gold, you both pay the same MF for a 1br. The point value of the deed varies based on season. So, buy the highest season/size you can afford to maximize your MF efficiency. Also, some locations are more efficient than others (MF). Your home resort has a 12 month booking vs 9 mos at other resorts.

I'm not an expert...others are. I'm sure people will point out any errors I've made.
Really research before buying: larger points ownerships are generally more efficient than small points deeds. Buying two contracts is not efficient. So, if you buy too small a contract, you'll be 'stuck' and probably need to resell and rebuy to get what you need..... just sayin.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
well, I plan on traveling more. especially as the kids grow older - probably we'll be vacationing around ten total nights a year or more. I prefer to stay in more family friendly places equipped with kitchen and laundry. and like the idea of pre paying or knowing how much it's costing me rather than having to deal with supply and demand paying the going rate at the time. I like getting a good value. e.g. I just stayed at one of the Sheraton properties in Orlando...was invited at a promotional rate of 250 total for 4 nights. but it appears the cash rate was 200/night.

ok, I've narrowed down my requirements some. by the way, I've stayed at Number of timeshare properties - hgv on the strip, wyndham off the strip, Oceanside ca, Virginia beach. the properties were all adequate.

Based on what you say it sounds like you have a good grasp of timesharing and that timeshares are likely a good fit for you, provided you can afford them and that you plan an exit strategy.
So what is your exit strategy?

Niteflite

Reaction score
Based on what you say it sounds like you have a good grasp of timesharing and that timeshares are likely a good fit for you, provided you can afford them and that you plan an exit strategy.
So what is your exit strategy?
well, in 10 - 15 years, or more...maybe wife and I can continue to make use of it, I would try to dispose of it in the most financially beneficial way. as long as mf goes up at a reasonable rate, I will have sufficiently benefited from being a ts owner. I guess I would hire a broker or transfer ownership to friends/family first?

Niteflite

Reaction score
Ok, good to know about not getting two separate shares. I tried to post a link but it wouldn't let me. I generally do not want to stay over 4 nights in a row..maybe I'd do five but it is unlikely I would do 7 nights so a smaller number of points can still work for peak season. if I do need to stay more nights than allotted by the points, I guess I'd pay out of.pocket for the extra nights. thanks for the rest of the info.

Where is the best place to look for resales? Would a broker on ebay with 500+ positive reviews be ok?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
so, I see a listing for 4000 points for 1 week 1 br at hgvc in myrtle beach. price including transfer and closing costs is around 2,000. mf of 750. Does thus sounds good?

some additional questions:

can these points be converted to regular hilton honors points? what's the conversion rate?

Can I choose to stay fewer nights in a larger unit instead of the full week at the smaller unit?

Is there one unit assigned to me or can i request different rooms.

Will it cost me if I want to stay at the hgvc at another location?

If you have narrowed down your serach to HGVC, then I would suggest that you post these detailed questions in the HGVC forum. We have many TUG members in that forum who very willing to help.

Your club points can be converted to Hilton Honors, but it is 20 to 1 or 25 to 1 depending on how it is converted. In general, this is not a good use to points unless you are going to lose the points.

You can stay less than a full week and any resort in any size unit if you book during Club Season (9 month mark). At some resorts (The Hilton Club such as NYC & Washington DC) and a few newer properties this window is shorter. There will be a booking fee for this.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
well, in 10 - 15 years, or more...maybe wife and I can continue to make use of it, I would try to dispose of it in the most financially beneficial way. as long as mf goes up at a reasonable rate, I will have sufficiently benefited from being a ts owner. I guess I would hire a broker or transfer ownership to friends/family first?

So here's what I did, take it or leave it. I factored in a cost to disposing of the timeshare and worked that into the value calculation to determine whether it was 'worth it' or not to buy and at what price it was worth it. There is a worksheet online here at TUG that I found very useful. I plugged in numbers and adjusted formulas for a 'worst case scenario' to determine the amount I was willing to spend to buy. Here it is:
http://www.tug2.net/advice/Timeshare_Ownership_Cost_Comparison.xls

And here are some more articles to read http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/free-timeshare-owner-advice-articles.html

kshell18

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of very good points here.
As Mary Ann pointed out: If you're planning on traveling to popular locations (beaches, theme parks, limited availability locations) rentals will routinely be at or above MF's and may be difficult to get. During off/shoulder-season travel, these same locations may be a bargain and almost certainly rent for MF or less. That's why you should rent and test things out now--while you can travel off-season/shoulder-season--and decide what might work for you later when you're trapped in a school schedule.

Additionally, some people really love the habit and familiarity of going back to our 'vacation spot(s)' year after year and enjoying the ease and familiarity and staying in the same unit, same resort and planning your vacation months in advance without the worry of "will they have this" or "do they allow that" or is the lazy river as good etc.... I think kids especially like the familiar and even meeting some of the same people each year. And, while this is a very general statement and not meant to express anything else beyond my words.....I do prefer the company of people we meet at timeshares to the people we meet at random hotels. YMMV. Additionally, I wish we had purchased a timeshare--even direct from the developer!--long before we did (resale). Owning a timeshare does (gently) force you to plan vacations, allocate monies to pay for the resort, the tickets etc... and strongly encourages you to take your family on vacation every year. Before we purchased, we took vacations when we could, if we planned them and when my DW finally told me 'book a Vaca or I will!" Because of this, we got too busy (finance was fortunately not the problem) or too lazy to plan and take regular vacations with our kids as often as we could or should have. I would pay a significant amount of money to be able to take those vacations now....but my kids are grown and out of the house. While I'm not advocating financial-blackmail as a solution to your family's vacation needs, I am strongly urging you to take regular vacations, rented or owned, while your kids are young and everyone can make memories to last a lifetime. Not a pitch for timeshares.....just a pitch to spend time with your family, be it rent, own or staycation. Ok, off the soapbox.

As a last comment on the general concept of 'you shouldn't ever buy a timeshare, you should just rent....' I will caution that there are perils to renting vs owning. Lost reservations, cancellations, fraud and the inability to cancel some rentals from the moment you pay forward. Timeshares do offer a sense of security, flexibility (with caveats) and a great deal of pre-planning/pre-paying that you simply can't get when renting from some random stranger. To be sure, I recommend a lot of research, renting and contemplation r.e. "are TS's right for our vacation needs and goals?" before you jump-in and make a commitment that is NOT right for your family or your financial situation. Make sense?

Good luck in your hunt... keep asking questions. You've got a world of information and experts that will give you the real info without any salesmanship or padding.

This is why we are thinking about purchasing a TS (on the resale market, of course). My children are young and I want to travel with them regularly. I did not travel much growing up and I would like to give my children that opportunity. I think that a TS will provide that "gentle reminder" to plan a yearly vacation with the family. I am currently doing research to see what would work best for us. Maybe I will try renting this year to get a sense of what it is like. Thank you so much for sharing!

Niteflite

Reaction score
what would you say is the average annual increase in maintenance fees? less than 5%? close to 10%

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
what would you say is the average annual increase in maintenance fees? less than 5%? close to 10%

Niteflite, 31 minutes ago Report

You can look in the forum here for specific systems/resorts and see the actual reported MF's for each year (look yourself to see the fees/years available)

The average (My guess/interpretation) is between 2-7% per annum. Average of maybe 5%. It varies by Company, points/weeks, resort etc....

Hope that helps.